Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Is Blizzard copying Majesty?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 10:31 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Today while checking Blizzard's website I noticed a headline saying "see the new Warcraft3 hero unit 'The Abomination'" Curious to see a new Warcraft3 unit I clicked the link and was shown i disfigured monster with multiple arms and apendages and I automatically thought of the Abomination in Majesty. But what I found even MORE intreguing was the VOICE of the Warcraft3 abomination sounded very familair as well, like there was multiple voices speaking at once..... JUST LIKE THE ABOMINATION IN MAJESTY! Anyone who doesn't know what the Abomination's voice in Majesty sounds like should highlight it and then do the voice easter egg code on it, the SHIFT " buttons.
I think somebody over at Blizzard must be a Majesty player.

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 7:58 am    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Now I know I've heard of multi-voiced Abominations before... so my question is,
"Where did Majesty get the concept for it from?"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Jay Adan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 8:08 am    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Although I couldn't say specifically where the idea for our Abomination came from, it's definitely a staple of horror fiction. I'm pretty sure that Lovecraft used something like it more than once (and there are many Lovecraft fans in the office). There was also D&D's "Gibbering Mouther".

------------------
- Jay Adan
- Cyberlore Studios

Mogor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:31 am    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

I just checked it out, to me that is a rip-off. But if you think about it, it sounds similar to the abomination, but don't foret, the idea of the two people talking thing came from the tw-headed ogres in Warcraft 2. But the fact that it describes it by saying "The twisted, mutilated bodies of the Abominations are comprised of multiple dead limbs and body parts from various corpses." doesn't really help it. That is pretty much the abominations description. Also, having the same name really adds the the thoughts that it was ripped off.

------------------
-Mogor

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 12:35 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Not to sound like I'm defending Blizzard, even tho' I probably am, but who did CyberLore rip it off from... so many other games to choose from... so many stories and myths... so many faerie tales and horror movies... so many possiblities, but who really cares.
As far as I know, something like the "abomination" and the "goblin" (whom I do believe Blizzard used BEFORE CyberLoo) and all those 'other' creatures are fair game for anyone to use... now if Blizzard would have said the Abomination was an accident from a priestess of Krypta sacrificial ceremony, then YEAH, I would agree that Blizzard would be doin' something WRONG. But they're not, so they're not. IMOO.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
sarcastro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 1:04 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Besides, it may say that the Abomination is a new hero, but, that just refers to the fact that it is polished enough to put the animation on the site. If you check the concept art gallery, you will see that the Abomination was one of the first units they created. Since they have bwwn working on WC 3 for over 2 years now, it is possible, and even likely that Blizzard had this unit thought up before Majesty was released.

Axeman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 2:56 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Copying?!! Cyberlore didn't make up everything in Majesty. All these fantasy creatures date back to old myths.

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:05 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Axeman:
Copying?!! Cyberlore didn't make up everything in Majesty. All these fantasy creatures date back to old myths.

The Abomination is not a fantasy creature from old myths, however.

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:55 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Falotar:
The Abomination is not a fantasy creature from old myths, however.

ummm... are you sure... sounds an aweful lot like something Hercules or Sinbad or any other mythical champion might have fought at least once during one of their countless adventures... and I think for the most part what Axeman means is, the creature might not be exactly like a mythical creature, but is a creature based off of a creature based off of a creature in myth. Sort of like the "Halfling" coming from the "Hobbit" coming from the "Dwarf", etc..

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:16 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Jay mentioned that it's probably a creature from horror fiction. The idea of a monster made out of various living/non-living parts is not particularly new - I remember years back a friend of mine playing this RPG board game called 'Chainsaw Warrior' where one of the major monsters was a creature called the 'Meat Machine' which rebuilt itself using parts from things it killed.

However, I must say that the coincidence of Blizzard using the same name is pretty suspicious..

bladeles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:44 am    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmm.... what exactly is a Blood Golem?

'What's in a Name? A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet...'

------------------
...blooooddddd....

[This message has been edited by bladeles (edited 03 July 2001).]

DreamRain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 3:18 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by TaleSpinner:
The idea of a monster made out of various living/non-living parts is not particularly new

"It's ALIVE!"

Frankenstein, anyone?

Fantasy games borrow from myths, science fiction/fantasy stories, and the like, for their creature ideas. Directly or indirectly, happens all the time.
I remember playing Nox and seeing their version of a Beholder, which is from ADD (I have no idea where ADD got the idea).
And come to think of it, Majesty has a version of the Beholder in the game, as well. hehe

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by DreamRain:
I remember playing Nox and seeing their version of a Beholder, which is from ADD (I have no idea where ADD got the idea).
And come to think of it, Majesty has a version of the Beholder in the game, as well. hehe

Yeah - remember Ultima's 'Gazers'? Pratically the same thing, only smaller.

Tiger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 11:05 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

Well if the paladins in Warcraft3 use a "sheild of light" then not even Madness can deny that Blizzard is borrowing from Majesty.

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 11:26 pm    Post subject: Is Blizzard copying Majesty? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Adan:
I'm pretty sure that Lovecraft used something like it more than once (and there are many Lovecraft fans in the office).

The disciples of Cthulu are all around us....
The "abomination" is the herald for the coming of "He Who Shall Not Be NAMED!!!!!

HAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAhahhahhahhh..............

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: