Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

About "The Sovereign III"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There....At least a bit is layed out. If there's anything you'd like to add...please do. I know I left things out; was sticking to what I know. ^_~

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment. - Raistlin Majere

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As you can see, there's quite a bit more. Very Happy And I still have Tanasril's minions to do ... plus the Broken One himself. Only, he's no longer "Broken". Indeed, you might say the Archons did him a favour.

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I'm done. And now we can have a little discussion about the Sovereign IV. Most important to me is, when will it take place? That is, how much time will elapse between III and IV?

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

*Grins* That's exactly what I was wondering today in science. ^_~ Originally, I had thought maybe a couple hundred years, giving us the chance to develop new characters. But, then I thought you'd want Juster to still be alive, and, though I'm sure you'd find a way for him to accomplish it, it would be more plausable if it weren't so long. And, after your last post, I think I'd like Riven to like, as well. Just out of curiosity - was there anything having to do with her life span included witht he change?

Anyway. I was thinking of it being between thirty and fifty years. Do you have a preference? And I'm already forming a plot; though I do think I'll wait for some time; just to let those creative juices pool. And to let the plot bunnies under my bed multiply...^__~

...And now, I need to go look at a map of Ardnia, doing homework at the same time.
....Whooo....^_~

Hmm...Shall we have a subtitle for this one, too?

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment. - Raistlin Majere

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Subtitle? Why not? if you can think of a good one.
As for time ... I think I would go with thirty. Thus, the older generation -- Alhana, Tarmyln III -- would have mostly died off, althouhg it would still be reasonable if some remained, like Juster. The current young generation -- Tarmyln IV, Tomass, Riven, Drexel -- would be in their prime. Tomass, for instance, would be thirty-eight. These characters would, by this time, all have children of their own -- say, if Tomass was married at nineteen, and had his first child by twenty, the youth would be eighteen at the time of the story.
To answer your question ... yes, Riven's lifespan changed dramatically as a result of the transformation. She herself can look forward to about two hundred years, give or take a decade. Actually, her command over growth and other natural processes is so great, she could probably extend her life even longer. I just don't know if she's want to.

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

....Ooookay, that was longer than I'd thought by about fifty years...^_~ Thirty it is, then; now, to settle on a few names....That's always the hardest part. ^_~ Now, er, here's an interesting question (that, or it'll make me look stupid): I can't recall where Magicum is placed on the map. Did we ever llay out an area for it to sit in? I need to know it's distance from Valmorgan and Lormidia...^_^ I'll work on a subtitle...once I think of a semi-concrete plot. Wink

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nope; never actually gave it a location. I once worked it out in my head, but never posted it because I thought it would be presumptious. Now, I can't remember. Confused

Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: busy ... but not that busy Reply with quote Back to top

Hope you have no problem with my latest addition.

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, yes, unfortunately there is a problem. Tarmoran was not gathering draconic lore for conciliatory reasons. I was not going to reveal this, but the Cadre's (the Empire's secret "society") sole purpose is to hunt down and exterminate every Dragon in Ardania -- fire, ice, Gold, and Black. So, dedicated as they are to Krypta, the Mordine house now bears an unslakable hatred of Dragonkind born of the assaults on Magicum and D'Tar Mordin. The Black Dragon emissaries would not only be rebuffed, they would be slaughtered.
Apart from that, no prblem Wink. If having a Black dragon complex means a lot to you, change D'tar Mordin to Shovrah-Dan. That city is dedicated to Krypta just as much as the Empire; maybe more so.

Cooker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: errr ... Reply with quote Back to top

Post fixed

BTW, obvious I will be too busy to participate in writing from now on, so please handle my characters in the sequel.

I was quite surprised the high king did not intervene during the 2 wars. Even if he is greedy, something could be gained in intervening. I hope to have that explained in the sequel, if you are so kind. Thanks.

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You mean you're saddling me with even more characters? Haha. Hahahahahaha ... *trails off into hysterics*
As for the High King, I can explain it to you now. As far as we, the authors, are concerned, the idea never occurred to us. As for an "Ardanian" explaination; like I said, the fate of Magicum isn't that important. It hadn't quite reached "Great City" status, like Valmorgen or (New) Volencia, and with the war, it's been set back a great deal. The only thing, so far, that the High King might have gotten involved was the destruction and reconstruction of Volencia, and, for all we know, the High King did become involved. All Archmage told us was that Dragun destroyed old Volencia, and that the Magnate built and rules New Volencia. With what resources he rebuilt it, Archmage doesn't specify.
However ... trust me, Cooker. Magicum was important, in its own way. The loss of one of Ardania's most productive and innovative cities, as well as the strange activities there, are bound to draw the High King's interest to the area. The Sydrians might very well intervene ... and that, in itself, will have unpleasant consequences.

Cooker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: cold war crisis? Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, thanks for taking care of my character while I explore the beauty that is artificial intelligence and system control.

Back to the story:
Family Valmor and the Sydrians are allies. If The Sydrians decided to put their nose in the business so would Valmor. IMO any Sydrian intervention would be done on the bases of countering the powers of the north, which obvious isn’t nearly as obedient as cities south of the hellfire.

If this series takes place parallel to “ambitions” then the southern cities might be tied up by the goblin threat. That would offer a good explanation. On the other hand, I also speculate that “Daughter of Krypta” might also take place around the same era.

Obvious the dragons are intelligent enough capitalize on the dedicate balance between the south and the north. If southern powers prevail, then gold dragons would gain powers from the church they are now allied to, visa versa for north.

But if a war breaks out between the northern and southern then every kingdom would be tied up in it (reference to the dragon wars). This would certainly be very expensive for every race and therefore the dragons have every intention to avoid direct conflict unless it becomes unavoidable.

So I think the situation for the sequel would be similar to the cold war. The high king and the Mordine family would be playing a chess game with their vessels while the Magisray would be in the middle of it, preventing situation from blowing up into a full scale war.

I am officially gone, now … will return in Dec if i am lucky.

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you're gone, then my analysis of Ardania's politics and history will be wasted (unless Raist is really interested, or someone esle reads this), but I'll write it anyway.
First, this doesn't take place at the same time as Ambitons. Ambitions, you will understand, takes place three generations after High King Sydrian unified Ardania. The Sovereign II takes place several hundred years later, and III a generation later.
In addition, while the original Sovereign did take place around the same time as Ambitions, the events are very different. For instance, it was Emperor Tarfulth, not Empress Tarkeija, who ruled D'Tar Mordin. Thus, the Magisray stories belong to a different "continuum" of Ardanian history than Ambitions. Also, they do not correlate precisely with the Dragon Wars in For Honour of Dragons; for, in that tale, the Black Dragons were in D'Tar Mordin. However, due to the occurences in The Sovereign III, House Mordine would rather become extinct than ally itself with Dragons.
Thus, while certain things are similar in all three continuums (the High Kingship of House Sydrian, the Empire of D'Tar Mordin, the rising power of the Dragon races), there are certain fundamental differences. These differences will have a profound effect on the politics, which you, Cooker, seem to have overlooked.
The conflict is no longer a clean-cut war between North and South. With the Black Dragons based in Shovrah-Dan, rather than D'Tar Mordin, three powers begin to emerge. First, the High Kingship, based in Caer Sydrian (on the Isle of Sydrian) and commanding the loyalty of Valmorgen, Lormidia, Mayhew and Tholaria, and now allied with the Gold Dragons.
Second, the Black Dragons and their allies, the Dans of Shovrah-Dan. Nominally loyal to House Sydrian, House Dan has long held itself superior to the other Southern city-states. With the Black Dragons by their side, the influence of House Dan will certainly spread. Now, Shovrah Dan is just on the broder line between Southern Ardania and the Northern Reaches. But, the High Kingship already controls most of the South. So, they will expand to the north. The Grand Duchy of Grov-Urtat lies nearest; the Dans will probably browbeat them into submission. And, with support of the Black (and possibly Ice) Dragons, they may well claim the semi-wild remainder of the Northern Reaches; e.i., the fringes of the Hellfires, the ragged settlements of Krolm's Anvil, Borjin's Palace, etc.
Here, however, the thrid power comes into play: the Empire of D'Tar Mordin. Tarmyln IV is no fool. He will try to prevent the Dans from seizing control of the Northern Reaches. While his influence is limited to the western parts of the North, his power there iss unrivalled. The main point where the two Northern powers will clash will probably be over the Valley of Gur Mechina, a strategic area in the tumbled wastes in the area. Claimed by both D'Tar Mordin and Grov-Urtat, the feud over the Valley will become heated once Shovrah-Dan absorbs the Grand Duchy. Further, the Empire will be even more hostile towards House Dan than merely political reasons would necessitate. Why? Because they are allied with Dragons. Tarmyln III and his sons swore to purge Ardania of Dragonkind, and the Emperor spent the last years of his life gathering the resources to accomplish that end. Not only will this bring him into conflict with Shovrah-Dan, but also the High Kingship. Tarmyln IV will undoubtedly move to seize the Sydrian possessions in his area, especially the magical protected lands to the north that the Spires of Death were guarding.
Now, enter the alliance. D'Tar Mordin has a centuries-old alliance with Magicum, which they keep both for honour and for political reasons. New Volencia has also joined this alliance. The reasons are unstated, but we can guess it is because Tarmyln III and Alhana helped the Magnate rebuild it. Thus, the popularity of the Magisray line, the elite heroes and henchmen of D'Tar Mordin, and the economic influence of New Volencia make an imposing rival to the draconic powers of Shovrah-Dan and Sydrian.
However, the incidents surrounding Magicum have built up something apart from the purely political quarrel. House Magisray, tied to D'Tar Mordin by the alliance, is now also tied to Tanasril through the transformation of one of its members. Tanasril's minions remain in the area: the loyal ones awaiting another Master; those who renounced him trying to carve out a kingdom of their own. Thus, Magicum is the centre of an unstable region, for one must remember the Dryad Forest, Black Valley, and deserted kingdom of Ferring as well. Entering into Ardanian politics both on its own merit and through the alliance, Magicum will become the focus of the three powers as they struggle for dominance. Magicum is the key to D'Tar Mordin's Southern influence. If Sydrian takes it, the Empire loses its power in the South; if Shovrah Dan takes it, they will replace D'Tar Mordin as the main Northern power. But ... what if one of the other forces takes it? Ephinmor, the remnants of Tanasril's army, Tanasril himself -- all threaten the city. And then there are the Dark Knights. Although not powerful yet, they have a foothold in New Volencia, economic capital of Ardania. If they should subdue New Volencia, they will be unmatched in wealth and technology. The Mordine-Magisray alliance would be deprived of itsfinancial backing, and the rest of ardania would also feel the loss.
So the situation is very unstable; Magicum, and, to a lesser extent, New Volencia, will determine the course of Ardanian history. In other words, the Magisrays are going to have a lot of people trying to manipulate them!

Finally, a note about the Cadre. Few know of them, and none know their purpose outside its members and House Mordine. The gods know, of course, but aren't telling their servants. Why? Because Krypta does not care, particularly, about what happens to either Black Dragons or D'Tar Mordin. Her two strongest supporters; she will only become stronger if they destroy each other. And, to keep the playing field fair, she will prevent Dauros from enlightened the sydrians or the Gold Dragons. So, D'Tar Mordin's secret weapon will stay secret ... until Tarmyln decides that it is ready.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: