Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Ardyn

Venstar turned around. "Good morning," I said, "I have important news." "What is this news?" he asked. I replied, "The upcoming war with the ratmen is not only a rumor. Even as we speak, the rats are advancing towards Valmorgen! They are coming around the mountains in the north in both directions. Something must be done, and you will be the ones to do it. I will aid you as best I can with my vast powers of illusion."

[ 28. June 2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: MMMMM ]

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Venstar Trailblazer

So, Ardyn was his name, and he was on our side this time around. "We must tell the Soveriegn! He will bring the forces of Ardania to this town of Valmorgen." I shouted in response to Ardyn. He told me that he would aid me in the war. I thanked him, and ran off to the Palace.

M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Ardyn

Now that I had delivered my message, I set off to do some preliminary delay work. I cast an illusion of a large barricade on the road ahead of the ratmen.

The Sovereign

"So we're going to have another war with the ratmen, eh?" I said to the heroes. "At least we have better warning this time. And at least the Royal Advisor isn't yelling about bad stuff anymore, only--" "Your Majesty! The Royal Treasury is nearly full!" yelled the Royal Advisor. "We still have that problem," I said, handing the heroes some money so that the treasury wouldn't overflow. There had been Elves in Ravenswood, but there weren't any Elven Bungalows in Valmorgen, and I was thinking about building a Dwarven Settlement so that I could get ballista towers to ward off the invasion. I had time, for even Ratmen take a long time to cross seven LMWs of territory. (A LMW is an Ardainian unit of measure. It stands for Large Map Width.) "We will have to be well prepared. Here, have some gold. You can purchase high quality weapons and armor in the black--" "Your Majesty! If the kingdom is to prosper, we need more henchmen!" You'd think fifteen would be enough for going on with!

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Venstar Trailblazer

I took the money, greatful for any money possible. As I walked home, I noticed I needed to protect this great empire of Ardanians, so I stopped by the Deadly Hunter inn. Hello, Soria." I said, seeing Soria eyeing me from a tree above. She jumped down. "Why are you here?" she asked. "Just wait here." I said, having no time to chat.

I walked into the inn. "Hello. Could you tell me which room Dalaer Finequill is in?" I asked the keeper of the inn. "Room ten." he said, holding out his hand, looking as if he wanted some money. I ran up to the room, without tippping the innkeeper, who now looked mad. Knocking on the door, I yelled "Dalaer! Are you in there?" I heard a noise, and Dalaer appeared in the doorway. "What do you want?" he demanded to know. "Pack your things, and I'll tell you on the way back to the Tower." I said. Dalaer walked back into his room, and reappeared five minutes later.

We walked out the door, and started down the road, with Soria now following us. "Now what is it the you want!?" Dalaer asked. "We are going to head up north, asking for directions from the wizard of the Tower, to find the Rats. Once there, if we make it in time, we will kill the Rats, once and for all!" I shouted, Dalaer looked at me as if I had just drank to much beer.

Upon making it into the Tower, we were greeted by Arimah, looking very happy. "Dalaer! You're back. Why?" she asked. "Pack your things, meet us outside." I said interupting them. I found Stormwind and his master in the practice area. "So you are finally leaveing." said the wizard, without even seeing me. "Yes," I said, "and I'll need both of your help, if you can give it, that is. I was wondering if you both could come, and if not, could you tell us wear we will find the Rats?" I said, hoping for them to say that they would come.

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Verminadra

The time has come! Finally we are ready to advance on the Southern Realms. With an army of five hundred Ratmen, plus an additional force of Rat Champions, Shamanesses, and Ratapults at my back, King Rhoden is sending me, Verminadra, to subdue the human kingdoms. We can count on aid from the resident Ratmen - though not as highly bred and trained as those we had found in the North, the Southerners will be eager to fight, loot, and spill the blood of Men, Elves, and Dwarves. By the time we reach Valmorgen, where the High king lairs, our forces will be swelled into the tens of thousands.
But our most potent weapon is veiled, even from our ambitious ruler: myself. Two years have passed in the mortal realm, but in the celestial realms time was far different, and there I have spent many years - studying, always studying and practicing, honing my magicks against the day when I will face once again the man who called himself Ardyn.
Personally, I am convinced he is mad. But that is as may be. In any case, he insulted my honour and that of me lord's, for he used us to further his own ends, and discarded us when his purpose changed. He will die, as will the pathetic heroes who attempted to bring us to ruin before.
They cannot know what terrors await them. For I am darkness incarnate. I will not be denied. I am Verminadra!

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

??????

No one knows who I am, for no one has met me. But most everyone has felt my rath, my presence. You can't stop me, no one has, and no one will. I can see the future, that is why. I have no body, but that doesn't stop me. I am the spirit of evil. I have even effected Venstar Trailblazer and his pathetic gang. Remember Galen the Insane? I made him comit suicide. I brought Stormwind to the group, just so Kriven Lootgraber would die. Venstar coming up with his first quest, I did that too, just so a war would start. There are forces that have tried to stop me, some are still trying to. They will not succed, unless one with a strong enough will could stop me...

M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Spirit of Justice

Forces of the world are not permitted to meddle! Evil intent in a being of such power is punishable by extermination!

Unless, of course, you are a human. In that case, you will die. I know who you are.

If you know what's good for you, cease your meddling. Beware Ardyn, for he can defeat you.

[ 16. July 2003, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: MMMMM ]

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

??????

My plans have been going well. The Wizard and Stormwind still haven't answered Venstar, but I can't seem to get them to say no, maybe they will help them. Back to my other puppets, ahhhhh, Ardyn. He's acualy thinking of helping those fools. I can't stop that. Ooooooooooo, the Rats. Let's start there raids on nearby cities of where they are. Kroms Anvil will do nicely, they are not ready and will fall easily, no one can survive that attack, or all of Ardania will know of the Rats plans of war. That wouldn't go over to well. Goblins, goblins, where are those pesckey goblins. Nuts, they are going to help the Ardania too. They will pay...

M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Spirit of Justice

If ?????? will not heed my warnings, I will attempt to reverse its meddling. I sent a vision to Krolm's Anvil, warning the people of the danger. If this doesn't work, I'm going to tell Ardyn who ?????? is and see if those two can fight it out with trickery against trickery.

Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Dalaer

So, I mused to myself, Venstar is still worrying about the rats, is he? Well, perhaps I can see if his worries are justified. I began plucking at my lute.
My training had not been for nothing. My reportoire of magical songs had expanded considerably. The song I played now was "Dance of the Ether Winds," which draws the mind into that chaotic swirl of energy which powers all magic in Ardania. From there, one can easily track the auras of powerful beings or objects.
To my surprise, I found what I was looking for right away - a powerful Shaman, such as I would have expected to be accompanying a truly large force of Ratmen. I was still more surprised - and disconcerted - to find myself being drawn into mental contact with him. Yes, him; unlike most Shamans, this one was a male.
What is this? I sensed him thinking. An Elf? Why do you probe the ether winds?
I am searching for a high-ranking officer in a Ratman army,
I replied, seeing no reason to avoid the truth.
You have found one. I am Verminadra. And you . . . you are Dalaer Finequill. Why do you seek me, Dalaer Finequill?
To ascertain the threat you pose.

Mocking laughter rang in my mind. I do not think you could comprehend the threat I pose, Elf. You fear no doubt the tide of vermin I lead? Ha! I am more dangerous then the whole sea of them. Wait and learn. We are posed outside Mayhew. As soon as I come out of my trance, we will attack. Beware, Elf, for greater powers than you, or perhaps even I, are at work here. Servants of the gods, or their masters. I have had to expend a great deal of power to throw them off the scent.
Abruptly our connection ended. As I laid aside my lute, I wondered, What does all this mean? I fell asleep with Verminadra's laughter in my ears.

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Verminadra

My army is encamped just north of Mayhew. My spells renderus invisible to human and magical eyes alike, for Rhoden has desired secrecy in our movements. But now it is time to reveal our strength, and let the humans and their allies tremble in fear.
I stand on a small rise. My army, visible to my eyes alone, surrounds me. I raise my staff - once the staff of the great illusionist, Mathes the archmage - and point towards the city. I am outlined in mystic fire, for I no longer care who can see me.
"Now, my people! Now is the time to go forth and overthrow the human race! This city which lies before is our first step in becoming the new masters of Ardania. Take it! Capture the buildings, kill the heroes, enslave the people. Once Mayhew is ours, then we shall have the centre of this land, and a hole will be torn in the heart of the human resistance. Next, we will strike Valmorgen, slaying their High King and cutting off the head of their force. Let it begin! I raised my staff on high. The spell of invisibility lifted as thousands of swords, knives, spears and halberds started to burn with green flames. "Attack, destroy them!" They cheer, and now they surge forward and down upon the city. One thousand Ratmen - for our forces have doubled- one thousand bloodthirsty warriors, but they are not enough. I know. I will have to turn the balance.
"Is'ralkithlar! Let the skies rain fire!" I bring my staff into both hands. A flare of flame burns into the sky. Smoky clouds seem to annihilate the stars. The clouds burn, and fiery rain falls on the city. But it is not enough. No; I shall make an example of Mayhew. What survivors there are will tell a tale of horror to make even the gods tremble. Therefore I continue my chanting.
"Is'thrallidrath! Krillir'lascree salmonkrellerath! 'Leescra'dor! Rusril'triranee!" As I continue the chant of ancient Rodentine, I can feel the ether winds building. They rage silently in the sky above me, causing the very stars to fall.
The first meteor hits. Ironically, it smashes to the earth the high tower of the Mayhew Wizards' Guild. A fitting testament to the power of my magic. More and more burning rocks fall, crushing hope as they crush defenders.

When the inferno of the night is over, most of Mayhew lies in ashes. The humans' morale had broken completely as soon as the hellish rain fell, they had done little to the Ratmen. What casualties we suffered - and there were many - were from my spells.
It is no matter. We are being reinforced even now. Ratmen are pouring up from the sewers, and feral Rats are crawling in from the countryside. We shall soon have more than when we began the attack.
One of the few buildings to survive relatively undamaged is the Temple to Dauros. That is well, for it is the perfect place wherein to cast my next spell. When it is finished . . . well, we shall see.

[ 21. July 2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Falotar ]

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Dalaer Finequill

Extract from the journal of Dalaer Finequill
What a night! I tossed and turned, plagued by nightmares brought on by my contact with the Ratman Shaman. I blessed Helia when her Sun rose. Soon enough, however, I cursed that day. At the time, it seemed the beginning of the end . . .

It started, I learned, early in the night. A new star, red and sullen, had appeared on the northern horizon. It burned almost until sunrise. Then we learned it was not a star.
There was uproar at the city gate. I was drawn towards the sound irrestibaly, though still half-asleep. I suspect the gods had a hand in that. To add to that belief, I had no trouble in slicing through the crowd. I found myself in a cleared space, the perimeter of which was maintained by blue-coated Guards and the centre a ragged band of human refugees. I spotted Soira perched above on one of the gatehouse towers; her feline curiosity had apparently overcome her dislike for crowds.
"Back! Stay back!" A tall Guard with a captain's insignia was shouting. "Please! Let them have space to breathe, at least!" He rubbed a hand across his forehead. He turned and spotted me. "What! How did you get in here, Elf?" He started towards me, probably going to remove me forcibly from his ring of Guardsmen.
"Please, sir," I said in my most winning tones. "I am a hero and could be of assistance. Besides, I am a friend of the High King's." A little lie, but who cares? The captain shrugged.
"All right then. I see a lute over your shoulder; a minstrel might come in useful."
He gestured at the huddled group of men and women in the middle of his ring. Over the shouts and questions of the mob outside, I could here wailing, weeping,a nd even screaming from the refugees. "These people are from Mayhew," explained the captain. "Obviously something happened there, but they're all incoherent. Maybe you could - "
"Consider it done." I unlimbered my instrument, and began playing. Slowly the people fell silent -both inside and outside the ring. My music calmed them. Soon, only subdued sobbing could be heard - that, and the music of my lute. Then I ceased.
The captain nodded his appreciation. He turned to interrogate a man in tattered and scorched Wizard's robes - apparently their leader. "You are from Mayhew?"
"Yes," he replied despondately. I had calmed them, not raised their spirits.
"What happened there?"
"I don't really know." The wizard shook his head. "I was in one of the Libraries - fortunately. I heard the cries - the warnings that Ratmen were attacking. I paid them no heed. Ratmen attack every day, after all. Why should I - "
"You're blubbering," snapped the captain. "Tell me what happened next."
"Well . . ." the Wizard drew a deep breath. "There were sounds of fighting outside. I felt spells being cast, by both sides. Then - I felt the ether winds boil! That is the only word. They swirled madly, then began focusing. I heard rain. I saw the city start to burn."
"What do you mean?" demanded the captain. "Were the Ratmen torching the city?"
"No . . . the rain was. For water wasn't falling from the sky, fire was. Then, the ether winds jumped into a still higher state of agitation, and I - blacked out. My mind could't handle the strain."
"When you awoke?"
"The town was in ruins. The Library had collapsed, but it had not crushed me and had served as a shield from both the fiery rain and the eyes of the Rats. I escaped by casting invisibility on myself, then found these others. I had enough energy left to cast a mass teleport, which brought us close to here."
"So . . ." the captain looked loathe to speak. "So, what happened to Mayhew?"
"The Rats have it," said another man grimly. His armour was ash-covered, melted off in some spots, but I could see he was a Warrior. "I am Sir Ylterion, Guildmaster of the Eighth Mayhew Warriors Guild. Not that it matters, since it was destroyed."
"How many Rats were there?" asked the captain, awed. I could understand; one of the great cities had never been captured before. Not since the first Sydrian drove back the darkness.
"I don't know, and that doesn't matter either. The Rats didn't desatroy the city. It was the rain, and the stars."
"HuH?"
"The stars fell from the sky! The sky was burning, it was raining fire, and then these great streaks of light shot down and inciertaed and crushed all the buildings!" The Warrior's teeth were clenched. "I thought it was the end of the world. It might well be."
I left. I couldn't stand to hear me. I thought to myself, Perhaps it is another dream. I will soon wake up - I ran into Venstar. He had come there, too, and I saw in his eyes he had heard most of what the refugees said. And I knew then that it was not a dream.

M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Ardyn

I was pondering what to do next when a huge disturbance in the ether wind distracted me. I immediately found the source of the disturbance - Verminadra! He was making a rain of fire over the city of Mayhew. He was terribly inefficient, too, as it would take much less energy to simply shoot fire from the sky. But where did he get his power? I wondered as the storm came to a close. I looked at Mayhew and saw that the temple to Dauros was still standing. I wouldn't let Verminadra destroy that, too! When the ripples in the ether wind came up again, I damped them with my own power.

M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Ardyn

I was pondering the ether winds' powers when I realised that there were a great many 'levels' of wind. There were innumerable patterns in the winds, representing all manner of things. If I could find out what all of the patterns meant, I could influence magic all over Ardainia!

I think I have found a pattern that corresponds with the geography of Ardainia! This is an excellent discovery! Because I have direct access to the ether winds, I can individually dampen or empower ANY spell! This could be extremely useful in the defense of Valmorgen.

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: The Tale of Venstar Trailblazer II: War with the Rats Reply with quote Back to top

Venstar Trailblazer

I had left the Wizard the night before, because he had not answered my question. "I'll consider it..." was all he said. Then, out of nowhere. He started top shake like a maniac. "They are coming for you!" He shouted. Now it was around noon, and havic had broken lose as heros and peasants rushed into Valmorgen. I spotted Dalaer walking out of the crowd. "What has happened!?" I demanded to know. Dalaer looked up. "It was them." "Who!?" I shouted. "You, know. The rats. They have taken Mayhew." he replied. "You are lying, aren't you? The city is almost invinceble!" I said in disbelief. "It get's worse. It was not the rats that took it. It was...," he paused, "It was the sky. They say it was raining fire, and that the stars were falling." I looked at him in awe. Again I said "You are lying!" In fact it was true. We could not stay in Valmorgen, it was the obveous next target.

Within minutes, heros of all shapes and sizes were being called to arms. In the distance we could see it. An army of Rats. An army with one perpose, to destroy us and for revenge on the entire gang. Once again our entire gang met near the palace, the only ones not present were Stormwind and his master. "I have to warn them!" I said, everyone knew of whome I spoke. Running there was easy, finding them was another. "Master Wizard! Stormwind! Where are you?" I said, starting to look for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: