Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Feelings for your heroes...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tajma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 11:01 am    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest obstacle in Majesty so far for me is that I actually feel for my heroes.

I've caught myself trying to ressurect the fallen heroes quite often. Economically, it's a big waste of money. However, it just feels really .... bad to have an intelligent (well, even though it's Artificial Interlligent) heroes dying for your cause and you just abandon them ;-)

That's probably why people play paladins. They can't die easily!

Am I the only silly one who actually cares about a "computer generated hero"?

Tajma

The Archmage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 11:08 am    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

After playing the game so often I feel like I really "know" the heroes so when one dies I too would love to resurect it.

------------------
"Now where did I put my spellbook?..."

Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 3:19 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

I think it also makes it difficult to move from the completed scenario to a new one. It is like you gave up on all the heroes that supported you for so long.

If you start to feel too bad about this of course, you can always save the game before you quit. That way they will live forever!

gd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 3:26 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

It is annoying to have to abandon them like that. But I only form attachments to high level wizards, because they tkae so much care and attention to get there.

Animedragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:20 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

maybe they should implement a veteran hero status... keep the live ones for later on... hire them when you have enough money

------------------
...it does not matter when or where it starts, just what is left in the end.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 2:15 am    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

Tajma,

There is a thread somewhere in this forum in which members have recorded their best records. (IE. Win in fewest number of days, Most gold collected, Highest level heroes, etc.)

Of those records I have never seen one for Fewest or no graveyards created in a game. This is a record I like to work for on the Quests. I thought I was alone in this and "just weird that way" so I never mentioned it.

A really cool challenge for those who like to play the new quest Wrath of Krolm is to complete the quest with no graveyards. My best record for this is 2 graveyards.

There actually is a point in single-player Quests and in MP games where strategically the expense of Resurrect is worth it. It is probably not a good idea to resurrect a level 1 hero. The higher the level hero the more cost effective it becomes. There are other members of this forum, particularly Kit, who could probably tell you at what level you should consider resurrection for each hero type.

------------------
I'll be back......!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tiger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 12:33 am    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

I knows exactly how ya feel. Ever since the days when I played the very first Warcraft demo I strived to play a game without ANY loses on my side.
It's just so sad seein' your men go down. :sniff:

Dame Grace Mendelhart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 7:22 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

So far, I've only kept a close special eye on a few key heros. I try to keep a high level hero in each of my running guilds and or temples.

Being able to call upon a hero from a prior saved game would be a really neat idea. I imgine the "designated" hero might have their own save file of a sort.

Could be an interesting aspect in a MP game to just bring your own hero(s). And campaign against others. Or have each player bring one hero and have to work together to accomplish a quest on line.

Hmm... the possibilities..

------------------
~**~ Dame Grace Mendelhart ~**~
Peaceful be your journeys as you walk the path of the light.
The Brotherhood of the Rose

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:40 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, this issue sure has come up lots. We can only hope that CyberLore will come up with some hero-retainability (maybe only for single-player games) in Maj2. hint, hint

Animedragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 9:44 am    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

That have a new building in the NE where you can resurrect your dead heroes later on.

------------------
...it does not matter when or where it starts, just what is left in the end.

Kit5150

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:13 am    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

when do i resurrect heroes?

never. the cost of resurrecting the first hero is way too high to consider: assuming you have the required guild (agrela or krypta), the cost of resurrecting the first hero is 5,600 for agrela, and 6,000 for krypta (upgrading to level 2, then level 3, then using 1 resurrect).

for that amount of gold, i can upgrade the palace to level 3 and the wiz guild to level 2, or upgrade to level 3 and get a fairgrounds, or...

to further illustrate, since i usually play the evil forces, and the max recruiting cost of any hero is 500 (for wizards and solarii/adepts), i prefer to kill em with numbers.

DreamRain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 4:12 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

If I'm really playing 'to win' I won't ressurect heroes unless I absolutley have to for some reason...(and if they're under lvl 7 I won't do it at all).
If I was playing MP I probably would never do so either.
If I'm playing more to tinker/goof off/experiment/city build or in SP-'make a map' mode then I'll do it quite often.
Since I use mostly monks, once they're lvl 7 I find it better to raise them than make another one. Depends on the enemies one is facing tho and how much nurturing you spent on getting a hero to be high lvl. And besides, once they're high level they don't tend to die too often anyway, which makes res'ing even more rare for me.

But I can sympathize, because I tend to play any game w/the goal of not losing any creature/hero/minion/unit if I can help it. It's just my way.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 7:58 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

Kit,

I didn't realize you never resurrect. This is something Twylah and I both make use of in developing high level heroes.

Twylah's level 12 wizard was busting me up in one game. She must have resurrected him at least 4 times. This was the game I was trying to lightning bolt her Agrela Temple to the ground so that I could finally get rid of the bugger.

I realize now that I was trying to take out the wrong guild. I should have blasted her level 2 Wizard's Guild so that the wizard would defect to my side. I suspect this is something you yourself have done. I saw a post in which she mentioned wizard stealing.

But never Resurrect? HMMMMM. I'll have to think about it. As neither of us have ever beaten you, there must be something there. Twylah's opinion is that no one can beat your economy based strategies. Not only do you know how to make the gold, you also know how to spend it.

Thanks for the tips......

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 11:44 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

Emma (PurpleAnt) and I played a GREAT game tonight... I ended up with a lvl 27 Wizard and a lvl 19 Wizard...

Now, Kit... are you saying you wouldn't resurrect either of those bad-boys??? They were certified game-winners. Luckily, I only had to resurrect the lvl 27 guy once and never had to touch the lvl 19 guy.

By the way... thanks again, Emma, for a truly fantastic and fun game!!!!!

- Twy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Kit5150

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 1:34 pm    Post subject: Feelings for your heroes... Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Twylah Skye:
...I ended up with a lvl 27 Wizard and a lvl 19 Wizard...

Now, Kit... are you saying you wouldn't resurrect either of those bad-boys??? They were certified game-winners.

i guess i should say i dont use the super wizard strat. if i got wizards that high solely thru fairgrounds, id just leave them in there as i believe wizards are much better on defense than offense, same with the priestesses.

unless my wiz guild is gone, i dont think any one hero can be a game winner, especially on a large map where you most likely wont have wizard sovereign spell access.

even on a small map, as soon as i notice you are using a super wizard strat, i can deduce you also have spent a ton on upgrading the agrela temple and keeping the wizards alive, hence, most likely, dont have wizard sovereign spell access. anti-magic aura and/or invisibility and a small attack flag should do the trick of getting a hero to kill him. if you resurrect him, i will repeat the process.

if you do have wiz spell access and high level wizards, chances are i know this well in advance and i have already placed a dwarven settlement on the town perimeter and have started upgrading fervus for vines. if and when he gets into ballista range, ill hotkey him and use vines whenever possible and go about my business, gaining a larger economic advantage everytime you try to save him by continually using invisibility, better yet, if you resurrect him. sure he will plow thru buildings until he reaches the settlement, but once he gets there...

[This message has been edited by Kit5150 (edited 05 December 2000).]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: