Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Fire and Ice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 10:13 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Prologue
Mandeth Prescar was a weapons-master of great renown, both north and south of the Mountains. He had served long in the armies of the Emperor of D'Tar Mordin. But, at length he grew old, and he retired to the valley of Gur-Mechina. There he found a fledgling kingdom, building on the ruins of others who had attempted to conquer that wild valley. He married the daughter of the nobleman who ran the colony, and had a son by her. That kingdom eventually went the way of all kingdoms in that valley; a horde of minotaurs rampaging from the mountains destroyed it. Mandeth and his son were the lone survivors.
Ellitadhe was raised by his father, and taught all the secrets of warfare. There was ample opportunity for practice, as the Valley crawled with trolls, minotaurs and remnants of the Serpent Army. One thing only did the father forbid the son: study of the magic arts. It seemed that it was a ban easily kept, for the Valley was an isolated place.
But one day, when Ellitadhe was exploring the ruins of the town, he came upon what had once been a library. And in its rubble he found a book, preserved by chance or magic. He took it home, and studied it.
Soon his father discovered the book. He found that it was not only about magic, but that it was written by Phernaroge, known in the Southlands as the Witch King. How the spellbook came into the library is a mystery, but Mandeth could see some ill fate at work.
In fear and wrath he commanded Ellitadhe to destroy the book. The young man refused. The elder drew his sword, to force Ellitadhe, but Ellitadhe drew a sword of his own. The two fought, and the son killed the father.
Ellitadhe then wandered long in the Mountains south of his home. For weapons he had his sword and bow, and the spells he was slowly learning from the tome. One night he found himself at the mouth of a cavern. Entering in, he met an ancient and powerful creature.
Anquirial the dragon he had discovered, and Anquirial, far from killing him, took the young warrior-mage under his wing. Under the tutelage of the wyrm, Ellitadhe learned much lore of forbidden spells.
Many years passed. Then word reached the Grand Duke of Grov-Urtat that a new religion had sprung up in the valleys south of his domain. A dreadful new worship: the worship of dragons. Thus was the Dragon-cult born in Ardania, headed by the son of the weapons-master.

Chapter I: The Duke's Decree
His Grace Westreth IV of House Urtence, Lord of the Grand Duchy of Grov-Urtat, was recently come to the ducal seat. His father, Nancath II, had spent his life in wars with the new menace. He had died defending the fastness of Grov-Deklon. Westreth realized that the Dragon-dult was growing too much for him to deal with. So he held a tournament.
Not just a tournament; but a tournament to which all the heores and champions of the North were coming. But, more important than that, His Imperial Majesty, Tarfulth VI of D'Tar Mordin, was also coming. The Grand Duchy and the Empire had been at war at various times in the past, but most of those conflicts had been forgotten and the rest forgiven.
Tarfulth and Westreth met in the Ducal Palace the night before the games were to be held. They sat in Westreth's private apartments, a wine bearing a silver wine-jar and two crystal goblets between them.
"You have called this tournament, I think," said the Emperor, beginning the conversation, "for more reason than celebrating your coronation. Would it have anything to do with the rumours from the South?"
"Your question is to the point," replied Westreth, pouring himself some wine. "And you are correct. The rumours, your Majesty, are more than rumours: there is a new religion centred in the Valley of Gur-Mechina."
"Indeed." Tarfulth took the wine-jug and filled his own glass. "And do they really worship dragons?"
"They do. And others monsters fight with them as well. The Cult draws all kinds of heroes: Rangers, Warriors, Rogues, Wizards; even some religious."
"I expect Cultists and Priestesses make up most of those," commented the Emperor.
"As a matter of fact, no. Oh, Priestesses right enough, but Cultists? Not a single one has left his Temple."
"Perhaps they feel threatened by the fact that the monsters fight for this cult."
"Perhaps. But I think it has more to it than that. Have you heard of the dark art of teratogeny?"
The Emperor choked on his wine, and the goblet shattered on the floor. "Yes," he said, getting his voice back. "There is a shattered palace in my capital to remind me of it."
"Is there?" Westreth raised his eyebrows with something of interest. "I must study Mordine history. But, back to the point: the Cult is not lead by a dragon, or not wholly, but by a man. His name is Ellitadhe Prescar, and he is a Wizard of immense power."
"And you think he studies teratogeny?"
"I know it. We raided one of his strongholds, and we find a dead Wizard. And what should be on his body but Methods of Corruption?"
"But that does not prove that leader studies it."
"I do not believe he would allow his minions access to knowledge he did not possess himself."
"I see. Now, tell me, what am I to do about it? You asked me here to do more than verify rumours."
"I need your help. My father thought he could fight the Cult by himself, and now he lays dead. Grov-Urtat needs the aid of other nations. And yours is both the nearest and the strongest in the North. My request? Lend me your heroes."
"I must think this over. An alliance? Very powerful, if it were to exist between our countries. Too powerful, others might think. We might find them allying against us, or even joining our enemy."
"Very well. You have until the end of next week to think it over. Then the tournament ceases, and I will make my move."

[ 26 February 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Falotar ]

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 1:10 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Eighteen-year-old Sir Silas left his home of Mayhew an hour past dawn. Leaving his father, the lord of their a small royal colony, a note saying that he was traveling to Grov-Urtat for the tournament being held for their new leader's corination. He carried a long sword sheathed in his belt, a sheild fastened to his back, a many knives concealed in pant legs and sleeves. He wore leather armour; unlike his warrior friends, he prefered mobility over protection. Leather gountlets wrapped themselves around his wrists. Silas(Or Si, as he was sometimes called)Walked quickly through forests, marshes, and valleys, eager to reach his destination. Si encountered numerous roving monsters, although all seemed slightly different than normal. They proved a chalange for the young man, who always had things come easy for him. However stronger they seemed, Silas still bested them. Upon the fall of night, Silas sought out a place to rest. Finding no town, he looked around his suroundings, looking for something promising. Finding a sort of lean-to made of rock, Si took bunches of branches to cover the sides, making sure that he would be - however remotley - safe for the night. He kept a knife in his hand during the night, though. Being a naturally light sleeper, Silas was able to wake himself in an instant. The next day, the young night roused himself, making his way to Grov-Urtat. When he came to the fringe of the town, Si found the place bustling. Wandering around the town, he eventually came upong the tournement grounds. There were at least four or five lines of heroes, waiting for their name to be taken down for the tournement. Silas joined a shorter line, waiting anxiously for his turn. As each person gave their name? they either went into the grounds to observe the competition, or left, wandering to an inn, or greeting old friends. When Silas came up, He inclined his head to a hassled looking man, and said, "I am Sir Silas Radbourne of Mayhew."
"Ocupation?" the man asked.
"Warrior." Silas smiled slightly at the man's ignominy.
"Check." was all the man said. Silas wandered inside the large enclosure. Looking around, he saw many, many heores. Many of them looked powerful. Others glancing at Silas would have thought him weak - wich was what most thought; It was also what made most loose against him. Silas was a small thin man, and did not look much like competition. His short black hair did nothing for him but make him look mysterious. His simillar black eyes seemed to go on for ever, with no end. When people would say something rude about the knight's look, Silas would only glance at them. He never tried to prove them wrong, because he knew that if he did, it would make competition all the harder. After a look around, Si left, heading to an inn. He went to three different ones; all were filled. Finally, Silas found the last inn with rooms left. Paying for a week, Silas went into the room, and sat by the window to watch as people went about their daily life. It was quite amusing for him to watch. Glancing towards the palace, Silas saw carriges bearing the D'Tar Mordin crest. The young knight cocked his eyebrow thoughfully. Somehow, he suspected that the tournement was not just about a corination...

------------------
Raistlin, Archmagus of the hour glass eyes

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.- Raistlin Majere

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 4:26 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

The Temple of Fire and Ice was the centre of the Dragin-cult. It was built at the head of the Valley of Gur-Mechina; a vast flight of marble steps lead from the Valle's floor to the courtyard. To the left of one ascending those steps loomed the great Hall of Dragons. Two great domes, one of gold, one of mithril, glittered in the sun. They were supported by massive walls, and row upon row of thick columns. Bronze gates, scorched by heat, opened into the gold-capped half of the hall; here slept the dragons of fire. Silver doors, rimed with frost, opened into the mithril-capped half; here slept the dragons of ice. On the far side of the courtyard from the stair stood a building, small and dingy next to the massive Hall, but large enough for a Palace in other lands. It was built partly out of huge grey granite blocks, and partly hacked out of the cliffs behind it. Abutting it on its Eastern end, the right end of the courtyard, rose a grandiose tower. It was built of granite too, but sheathed in marbles, both black and white, and shot of streaks of precious metals. Lastly, running North from the tower towards the Valley, sat a great, black hall wrought all of black marble.
The tower, called Cornerstone Tower, was built over the lair of Anquirial. The cave was now a pillared underground hall, and still the abode of the ancient fire dragon. Immediately above that was a complicated labyrinth, designed to keep any but the Priesthood and their servants out of the Tower. Above that were various treasuries and storerooms, then the quarters of the lower priests and servants. And up, until one reached the highest pinnacle, which was still large enough to be the house of a great noble. There lived Ellitadhe, Founder and First High Priest of the Order of Prescar.
At the moment, though, the High Priest was not in his quarters. He was in the low, dark building across from the Hall of Dragons. This other building was also a Hall - the Hall of Rituals.
"Are the sacrifices ready?" asked Ellitadhe in a strong voice. He stood at the head of the Hall, on a high dais. Before him was an altar of bloodstained marble, behind him two great iron doors which lead down into Anquirial's den. On either side stood black-robed Clerics, who leaned on staffs of dragonshorn topped with emeralds. In the recesses of the Hall's nave stood Temple Guards, in black-and-green or white-and-blue hauberks bearing the crest of the Burning Ice. Ellitadhe himself was clothed in a grey robe, trimmed with silver and golden threads interwoven, and a green-and-blue sash. A plain, straight sword was thrust the sash. All wore heads to match their robes.
"The sacrifices are ready, High Priest," said a voice from the far end of the Hall. One of the green-robed Attendants stepped forward. He spoke from the depths of a dark green hood. "We have purified them, in ice and in fire."
"Bring them in!"
The iron doors at the end of the Hall, matching those behind Ellitadhe, swung open. Two attendants stepped through, a white-robed man between them. Another pair came in, this time with a woman. And another pair, and another, until there were sixteen, with eight of the white-robed people.
"Bring forward the first sacrifice!"
The first pair of Attendents began walking down the nave. Between them hung the man. As they drew nearer, his ood slipped from his head. His face was a horrible sight: it had been frozen, than burned. Only the strongest spells could keep him from dying where he stood. Ellitadhe drew his sword.
Silently the Attendants laid their burden on the altar. Ellitadhe raised the sword, and swung it down.
"Bring forward the second sacrifice!" he cried, as the two Attendants stepped aside, one clearing the altar. Another pair began forward.

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:57 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

"Well, your Majesty?" asked Westreth, as they mounted a ducal carriage. "It is the day before the tournament. Have you decided?"
"Not yet. We are going to hear the roll call?"
"Yes." Westreth gestured the driver to start. "All heroes not having been signed in by noon will not be able to compete."
"I see. And it is?"
"Nearly noon now."
They rode along in silence, then Tarfulth said: "I will tel you my decision after the roll-call. If more than half the towns of Ardania are represented, then I join the Empire's power to that of Grov-Urtat."
Chapter II: The Tournament

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

From where he stood, Silas could see the emperor, as well as the duke next to him. The roll call had started at noon; it endedthree hours later. When it had ended, the people dispersed, going back to whatever they had been doing. Silas, however, lingered a bit longer. He saw the duke and emperor talking as they made their way to the carriages that would take them back to the palace. Curious as always, Silas followed, pretending to look around. He could get close enough only to hear wisps of what was said.
"...I...help...dragons...call...army..."
"...Thank...Imperial...dragons...kingdom...you"
Dragons? Silas thought. I wonder what this tournement is really about...

The next day was the day of the tournement. Si woke before dawn. Putting on leather armor over tunic and breeches, he began to stretch. Seeing that there was no room to practice swordplay in his small room, he left it, goin quietly outside. Looking around, he spotted a warriors guild. Si's face lit up.
I'll just practice in there, he thought. No one will mind me...
He entered the building, finding the door unlocked. He navigated his way to the indoor practice courts. Luckily, no one was there. Drawing his sword, he put it to the side, and started to warm up, doing things that would be considered a monk's work. Putting his fists up, he jabbed the air. He kicked a few times, stretching his legs. Picking up his sword, Silas practiced the forward and reverse Crescent Ark, Blade Twirls, and something of his own invention, where one was requiered to throw their sword up and back. Once the blade had left his hands, Silas flipped backwards, landing with his right foot back as the sword fell into his hand. It had taken him a good seven years to master - not to mention all the concussions and cuts he recieved. Hearing a noise behind him, Silas pivoted, swingng his sword around. His sword stopped at a women's throat. Looking down, he found the woman's sword pointed at his chest.
"What are you doing here? She demanded in a low voice.
Looking her over, Silas was sure that he was dealing with a paladin. It was apparent from the haughty look on her face, to the way she held herself. Silas sighed.
"I only wished to practice before the tournement. I was hoping no one would mind." The paladin didn't move, rather, stared in aprehension at Si's blade. Seeing where she looked, Silas dropped his arm, sheathing his sword. When it was away, the paladin did the same.
"I am sorry. You surprised me." The woman waas built like Silas, short and thin. Her hair was flaming orange, falling to her elbows. Her eyes were hazel, and seemed to stare right through you soul.
"It's quite alright. I am Sir Silas Radbourne of Mayhew. And you are...?"
"I am called many things. Some know me only as a legend. Others, however, may call me Lana."

------------------

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.- Raistlin Majere

[This message has been edited by Raistlin, Archmagus (edited 07 December 2001).]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:48 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Caelcath had had the same idea as Silas: practice for the tournament. He was not a very distinguished Warrior, having come from a rather small town near to the Hellfires, but his family was one of the oldest in Ardania. His blade identified him to the observant.
Sighting the Warriors' Guild, he went in. He watched, amazed, as the Paladin and Warrior poised to kill each other. Then they sheathed, and he came forward. He caught the Paladin saying "...may call me Lana."
"Ahem," said Caelcath. The other two whirled to face him. He was slightly taller than either of them, and much broader.
"Who are you?" asked the Paladin suspiciously.
"I am Caelcath - Caelcath Silveredge. I know your name, my Lady - I fear I overheard it - but I don't know yours...?"
"Silas Radbourne. Of Mayhew."
"There. Then we are introduced." Caelcath tried a smile. It did not seem to have much effect. He sighed quietly. "Ah well, as long as we're all here, we might as well practice together." He drew his sword.
"Pardon me," said Lana stiffly, "but is that not a mithril blade?"
"It is; practically my only valuable possession. My father may be a noble, but he sees that all money goes towards the good of his Sovereign's realm."
No one said anything more for quite a while. They practiced for several hours, until the sun shone directly overhead. Then they heard the call of trumpets.
"Come ye, all contestants!" cried a herald's voice.
"The tournament must be beginning," said Si.

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:22 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

"Yes, I suppose it is." Lana replied. She sheathed her sword, and began to walk outside. Reaching the door, she turned, and asked, "Well? Aren't you coming?"
Silas sheathed his blade, following her. Caelcath did the same. When they reached the tournement grounds, they formed lines again. Each heroe was seperated into groups. Ranged heroes(Rangers and elves) went to one end, while those with magic went to another end. Melee contestents were first. Caelcath, Silas, and Lana waited in the melee line. Heralds were spaced throughout the line, explaining what had to be done.
"All contestents will be seperated into three different groups." Cried the one nearest Silas.
"You will be sparring against eachother. The best of the three groups will become finalists, and will spar against eachother. Who ever best the other two, will be the winner!" With that, the heralds began to seperate people into different groups. Caelcath, Silas, and Lana were each sent to a different group. Saying a quick farewell, they parted, eagerly awaiting their turn to fight.

------------------

Falotar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 6:12 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Westreth was sitting in the Grand Pavilion, overlooking the tourney grounds. Next to him, in the place of honour, sat Tarfulth.
"Have you finally made up your mind?" asked the Grand Duke. The Emperor had been silent since yesterday's roll call, and had not responded to Westreth's questions no matter how hard he pressed him.
Now he stirred. "Yes, I have. Let there be an alliance, come what may."
"Good." Westreth smiled. "That is a great relief to me, Tarfulth. Now, if you will excuse me, the tournament." Westreth stood, and raised his hands. He raised them high, and dropped them. The trumpets flourished, and a herald cried:
"Let the tournament begin!"

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 7:08 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Lana was one of the first up. She fought against a Warrior of Discord; a waste of talent, in her eyes. Within a minute, she had confused the large man, and flung his axe from his hands, Triping him, he fell on his back, with Lana's sword point at his throat. A loud cheer rose from the crowd as she was announced winner.
Not so bad just yet, she thought. I might even win, unless the Silveredge or Radbourne cause too much trouble...

Silas went on a few people after Lana. He was up against another warrior. Before they fought, they saluted eachother, then fell back into a guard stance. They circled eachother. Suddenly, Silas darted in, slashing with a reverse Crescent Ark. His blade nicked the other man's arm, before he pulled away. Taking advantage of the man's surprise, he drove in again, this time using a Crescent Ark into a Blade Twirl, to A reverse Crescent Ark. Sticking out his foot, Silas tripped the man. The other warrior kicked out with his foot. Si spun, barley missing the blow. His sword was arched just above the man's throat. Silas stepped away as his name was announced. The crowd let up a roar as Si looked around. He saw Lana on the sidelines, her arms crossed. A grin pulled at her lips, and her eyes danced. Silas grinned back as he retreated to the opposite side of the tournement grounds.
This is going to be fun, Si thought. Glancing at the Grand Pavillion, Silas frowned slightly. I wonder what this tournement is really about...

------------------

Falotar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 7:36 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Caelcath blinked down at his first adversary - a Gnome Champion. The Gnome came at him with the force of a flood, and Caelcath barely warded off the strokes of a long dagger with his battered shield. Finally he brought his own sword crashing down. It split the Gnome's leather helmet, and nearly killed him, but Caelcath halted its descent, and held it above the Gnome's head. Caelcath was the victor, though no one noticed as there were more interesting things going on.
He fought several Warriors, and at last it seemed everyone else in his group was defeated. Then he saw the Barbarian.
Caelcath was practically six feet tall; the Barbarian was a head higher. Caelcath's sword was long; the Barbarian's axe was longer, and the club longer than either. And the two had to fight.
The Barbarian lunged at him in much the same way as the Gnome had, in spite of their differences in size. Caelcath brought up his shield, and staggered backwards as Barb's club smashed it to pieces. The axe flashed up, and Caelcath barely parried it. Again, this time with more force, but the blade still held. Barb swiped with the club. Caelcath ducked, though he lost his helmet. Then the Warrior slashed - just in time to might a descending axehead. There was a shattering crash, and Caelcath fell. Instead of being trampled on by the Barbarian, however, nothing happened. He got up, dizzily, and saw that Barb, too, was on his back. The axe lay splintered about the field. Caelcath tottered over, and rested his sword point on Barb's chest.
Caelcath looked wearily around, anbd saw that he was the last of his group. Then he remembered that he would now have to fight the best of the other two groups.

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:04 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Lana fought mostly other warriors, and luckily, there were no barbarians in her group. There was another paladin, however. The other was the last of their group. They saluted eachother, then fell back into guard stance, same as Silas had. Her two-handed sword held in front of her, Lana circled the other woman. The other paladin darted in, slashing. Lana barley had time to parry. A smile pulled at her lips; she loved challenges. Lana drove her blade towards the woman's face, forcing her to bring her sword up until the swords were locked hilt to hilt. This was a bad thing for Lana; or at least that's what other people thought. When two people locked their blades together, they had to try and overpower eachother. Normally someone tall and large was best at this. Lana, however, had a lot of upper body strength. Not to mention the fact that she was hard headed. Pushing upwards, the other paladin began to fall back. When their arms were far above their heads, Lana struck out with her knee, hitting the other woman in the stomach. The other paladin fell to the ground, the wind knocked out of her. Spinning her blade in her hand, Lana rested her sword upon the paladin's throat. Lana was proclaimed winner to tumaltous appluase.
Wonderful, she thought. Now I move on to the finals. She hadn't doubted that for a moment.

Silas went on last. He fought against a very tall Solari. The woman was at least two heads taller then himself. The second he fell into guard stance, she attacked, bringing her mace down to hit Si's head. He barley had time to parry the blow. She attacked again, and again in the same fashion. Silas had no chance to attack, but could only defend himself. He saw that he would have to do someting drastic in order to change the pace. When the Solari pulled away, Silas ran backwards, out of her reach. The Solari started to slash down with her mace, but Silas was ready. He threw his sword backwards, as he had in the guild. Jumping up, he fliped backwards, to much cheers from the crowd. His blade landed hilt first in his hand. Quick as lightning, Si slashed out, making the Solari step backwards. She used a downward slash onto Silas' head. Si dropped to the ground, throwing his leg infront of him, tripping the Solari. Retrieving his dropped sword, he held it directly above the woman's heart. He backed off as his name was announced.
"And now, the three champions of the groups will spar against eachother! First up is Silas Radbourne against Caelcath Silveredge!" a herald cried. Silas looked around until he spotted Caelcath. Their eyes locked, and Silas grinned.
Good luck, he thought. You'll need it.

------------------

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:24 am    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Silas and Caelcath walk onto the feild together. Saluting eachother, they fell back into a guard stance. They didn't move for several moments. Then Silas darted in, using a reverse Crescent Ark. Caelcath was ready for him. He brought his sheild up just in time, forcing Silas to pull away. Caelcath did the same, slashing in with his sword. Silas barely pulled his sheild up in time. Si's arms vibrated as the blade hit. They circled eachother for what seemed hours, occasionaly darting in to attack. Each attack was blocked by the other's sheild. Eventually, the two stopped attacking, searching eachother for a weak spot. It seemed as if there was none. An idea struck Silas. With a war cry, he ran in, his sword outstretched. Instead of bringing up his sheild, Caelcath ran in with his sword outstretched. Their blades struck together, the clash resonating about the stands.
He's too good, Silas thought. This could take a very long time.

------------------

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:39 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

The two stood with their swords locked, each trying to gain an advantage over the other. They stugled, pushing against their blades. Caelcath would have had the advantage, but Silas, like Lana, was admnant. After many minutes of fighting, the two glanced at eachother, and suddenly, both were grinning.
He's good, Silas thought. Too good.
Caelcath let out a sort of strangled laugh. The two of them agreed silently. At the same moment, they pulled their swords away, and sheathed them. The audience started talking, wondering what in Ardania the warriors were doing. Duke Westreth stood in the Grand Pavilion.
"What is the meaning of this?" he asked. His voice boomed across the feild. Silas turned to face the Duke.
"With all do respect sir, I beleive that this match is a tie. Neither of us could possibly beat the other." Caelcath nodded.
"Yes sir, it is true. I do not beleive that we can beat eachother." The Duke was silent a moment, then, "Very well. But who will battle our last finalist?"
Lana stepped into the ring, speaking up.
"Sir, if it helps, I think it should be declared a tie. If I were to fight either of them, I beleive the same thing would happen."
"Still, we must have the tournement..." Westreth thought a moment.
"This is what we'll do. Silas Radbourne will fight Lana Isadore, just to be sure. If there is no winner, then it will be declared a three way tie."
The three bowed, and said, "Yes sir." Caelcath walked off the field after shaking hands with Silas. The paladin and warrior saluted eachother, then fell into a guard stance.

------------------

Falotar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 10:23 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

"This gives me an idea," said Westreth as the two combatants saluted each other.
"What?" asked Tarfulth.
"Military might seems to have no effect against this Cult. Dragons and all sort of lesser monsters serve this Ellitadhe, and hordes of men beside. But perhaps a small band of heroes would prevail were an army fails."
"So you are suggesting-?"
"That we send these three heroes - Warriors and Paladin - to the unholy Temple of this Cult."
"Then perhaps you will not need our alliance?" There was a gleam in Tarfulth's eye.
"Of course I will," Westreth hastened to reply. "We shall strike a diversionary blow, and hope to draw away the forces of this High Priest."
Tarfulth nodded, and trumpets sounded. The tournament was ended. It was a triple tie.

Chapter III: Summoned to the Ducal Palace
As the three champions were leaving the field, a herald came up and bowed.
"Good Sirs, my Lady," he began, "His Grace, the Grand Duke Westreth, commands you to come to his Palace."
"Why?" demanded Lana.
"You shall know that when you have come. It let suffice that you will reward you there, and ask a further task."

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:04 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Silas shrugged good naturdley and followed the herald. Lana glanced at Caelcath and followed. Silas fell back so the other two could catch up.
"So," he asked in a hurried whisper. "What do you think the Duke will give us? And what do you make of this 'further task'?"
Lana was looking around, her face closed off.
"Well, I think it's self explanatory. He is going to ask a favor of us. Likely something about the Dragon-Cult I've heard of."
"Yes, the Dragon-Cult. I've heard of it. What was the man's name? Elli?" Caelcath asked.
"Ellitadhe." Lana answered stiffly. Her face contorted in rage.
Silas looked curiously at her, wondering why the name would enkoke such rage. Lana reagained her composure as they stopped out side a throne room. She shook her long orange hair out of her way, the closed look back on her face. Silas put the question out of his mind as they neared.
I wonder what bothers her so about Ellitadhe Silas wondered. Lana also thought.
I hope he will send us to find Ellitadhe; then my quest will be fullfilled. He must pay for what he's done.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Raistlin, Archmagus (edited 10 December 2001).]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: