Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Null HP combat system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Null HP combat system Reply with quote Back to top

I have derived this system from D20 open source. It will introduce a better sense of realism and make high level characters more vulnerable while reduce air swinging combat, and here it is:

Hand to hands:
The attack rating is D100+H2H+weapon modifier +special modifiers
The dodge of the opponent is higher then parry, check the attack rating against D100+dodge, or check attack rating against D100+parry.
If the attacker succeeds in getting though a dodge or a parry, check the attack rating against target armor modifier + D100.
If the attacker hit, roll critical, D100, if it the value is less then critical range, it register as a critical hit.
A minor monster or henchman is killed if he takes any hit.
A hero or a major monster is killed only by a critical hit.
Shield and weapon enchantments add to parry modifier. Shield value adds to parry as well. A magical force field is added to armor check.

Ranged:
The attack rating is D100+Ranged+weapon modifier special modifiers
The defense check is identical to a melee attack
A ranged hero often relies of dodge to withstand attacks, while a melee hero usually relies on parry. A ranged hero typically has much less armor value; it makes them easy to kill.

Magic:
The attack rating is D100+Intelligence+special modifier
The defense rating D100+spell resistance item modifiers + special modifier for any spells that inflict damage and D100+willpower for other spell.
A spell that does damage is an automatic kill if the defendant fails to resist it. Although different attack spells have different special modifiers. A high level attack spell is typically much harder to resist.
Armor enchantments and magical force fields count to spell resistance and willpower when defending against magical attack. So does certain items, e.g. amulet of protection.
A magical hero typically relies on force field (armor rating) rather then parry and dodge to resist incoming attacks.
Example:

Paladin with H2H of 50 and long sword of annihilation attacks a boss monster.
Paladin rolls 100 get 45, so the attack rating is 95+16 = 111
The monster has parry of 90 and dodge of 40, he attempts to parry the attack.
The monster rolls 100 get 15, his weapon is +5, and so his total defense is 105+5 =110
The monster rolls 100 get 50, his armor is 0, his shield gives + 50.
111>110>100, the paladin hits.
The paladin rolls critical, get 20, the critical range of the sword is 40, and itís a critical hit.
The boss is instantly killed!

M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CoMbat systeMs without HP can work very well, in certain contexts. However, in a gaMe, you don't want to have instant death; it's siMply not fun. My preferred MechanisM is to have a 0% chance of crit-hitting at first, which increases with every subsequent hit.

I also have a rather More coMplex systeM, which I have iMplemented in one engine and enjoyed the effects of, but which is only good given an intuitive grahical display of a type not practical in Majesty.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Instant death without giving the player a chance to react and no means of measuring, roughly, how badly off a given character is are Bad Ideas. On the contrary, I would give every hero a 'fall unconscious' option for negative HP, with death only resulting if stamina also drops to zero, and most combat should result in a retreat, rather than inadvertant deathmatches. An RPG needs to be rather forgiving about the punishment characters can take to allow for lengthy character progresion.

Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's actually slower at lower levels when H2H is not very high but faster at higher levels Razz

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Null HP combat system Reply with quote Back to top

Cooker wrote:
I have derived this system from D20 open source. It will introduce a better sense of realism and make high level characters more vulnerable while reduce air swinging combat, and here it is:

Hand to hands:
The attack rating is D100+H2H+weapon modifier +special modifiers
The dodge of the opponent is higher then parry, check the attack rating against D100+dodge, or check attack rating against D100+parry.
If the attacker succeeds in getting though a dodge or a parry, check the attack rating against target armor modifier + D100.
If the attacker hit, roll critical, D100, if it the value is less then critical range, it register as a critical hit.
A minor monster or henchman is killed if he takes any hit.
A hero or a major monster is killed only by a critical hit.
Shield and weapon enchantments add to parry modifier. Shield value adds to parry as well. A magical force field is added to armor check.

Ranged:
The attack rating is D100+Ranged+weapon modifier special modifiers
The defense check is identical to a melee attack
A ranged hero often relies of dodge to withstand attacks, while a melee hero usually relies on parry. A ranged hero typically has much less armor value; it makes them easy to kill.

Magic:
The attack rating is D100+Intelligence+special modifier
The defense rating D100+spell resistance item modifiers + special modifier for any spells that inflict damage and D100+willpower for other spell.
A spell that does damage is an automatic kill if the defendant fails to resist it. Although different attack spells have different special modifiers. A high level attack spell is typically much harder to resist.
Armor enchantments and magical force fields count to spell resistance and willpower when defending against magical attack. So does certain items, e.g. amulet of protection.
A magical hero typically relies on force field (armor rating) rather then parry and dodge to resist incoming attacks.
Can you put that in English please?

Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

that is in English.
Alfyrd understood it
So should you...

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cooker wrote:
that is in English.
Alfyrd understood it
So should you...
Hey, Alfyrd knows about these things more then me. I am not a computer programmer you know. What I'm asking is, what is D100 and H2H?

Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

D100 is a percentile roll. It produces a random number between one and one hundred. H2H is a combat stat in majesty.

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ohh, I see now. How does all this make the game work? Do you just write it down, and poof, it works?

Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You should be able to work out the details and derive its performance.

Apple

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You do realise that implementing this system means that Healers will be out of a job and Agrela will have less business.

:mrgreen:

I think we have stumbled upon a new method of passing secret messages in the forum without using PM.

Sorotor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Apple wrote:
I think we have stumbled upon a new method of passing secret messages in the forum without using PM.

Oh? And what would that be?

M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Roll 33 d65536s, convert theM into ASCII characters, and you will have a 1/2^594 chance to retrieve My Message.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That, or the opening lines of Hamlet.

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

M wrote:
Roll 33 d65536s, convert theM into ASCII characters, and you will have a 1/2^594 chance to retrieve My Message.
Question Question Question .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: