Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

No screenshots this time..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jay Adan wrote:
BTW -

In addition to pitching Majesty 2 we're also pitching a number of other projects. We never put all of our eggs in one basket. At least one of these games was envisioned as "Majesty, but with a different setting" and then spun off with some variation in gameplay to fit the setting and potential platforms (always gotta be thinking about doing console these days).

So, if THAT project comes up before Majesty 2 you'll still be getting a taste of where we're moving with this style of game.

Yay!!
Barbarian Mercenaries in 'Mechs!!

:mrgreen:

Spiderman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lurn wrote:
I'd say ninety percent of hardcore strategy/simulation gamers use the PC, myself included.

I'm curious, so in your opinion there aren't any good strategy/simulation games for consoles? Is that due to lack of titles?

evanescenceguyem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spiderman wrote:
Lurn wrote:
I'd say ninety percent of hardcore strategy/simulation gamers use the PC, myself included.

I'm curious, so in your opinion there aren't any good strategy/simulation games for consoles? Is that due to lack of titles?

I thought starcraft was OK for the N64, and Sim Theme Park was OK for the PS2. But other than those, the rest suck.

wavefront

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spiderman wrote:
Lurn wrote:

I'll go along with that.
Maybe Jay or another industry insider will post an opinion, but except for "The Sims" type of sim, I can't see the console demographic demanding (or wanting) stratategy or simulation titles. I see consoles catering to the FPS and Sports gamer crowd.

Open question:
Did anyone buy a console because they wanted to play "thinking" games?

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lurn wrote:

Well, I don't know that I'm "hardcore", but I do only use the PC, and have no choice in the matter. My parents don't want me to have consoles because they don't want me spending all my time on them. So if you only make Maj2 for console, not only will it fail to make much profit (because as said above, almost no one buys strategy games for consoles), but many PC players would be quite dissapointed (including myself!).

And I refuse to comment on the current super-computer situation on the previous page. Lol.

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Will the Spellcaster wrote:
And I refuse to comment on the current super-computer situation on the previous page. Lol.
Oh, come on. I could think of something to retaliate to the super-computer situation on the previous page. O.k. you can keep the banner and sign and I'll make myself a new sign that reads "YES!YES!!YES!! UP WITH MAJESTY 2 AND ALBERINIAN WILDMASTER AND DOWN WILL THE SPELLCASTER! YES!!YES!!!YES!!!!! MAJESTY 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's please now cheer Majesty 2 on!

Sorotor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wavefront wrote:
I'll go along with that.
Maybe Jay or another industry insider will post an opinion, but except for "The Sims" type of sim, I can't see the console demographic demanding (or wanting) stratategy or simulation titles. I see consoles catering to the FPS and Sports gamer crowd.

Ever heard of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" series, by KOEI? It's a historical strategy game. It may be an exception, but it must be fairly popular, since there are ten titles in the series.

Lurn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not saying that Majesty 2 (or Majesty-like games) shouldn't have console versions, but that I think it would be a bad idea to make it console-only.

Almost all strategy/simulation gamers ('hardcore' or not) are PC gamers. It seems most people agree with this.

Thus, while there may be exceptions to this rule (such as Fal's Romance of the Three Kingdoms game), I don't think you'd get close to as much attention of serious (or otherwise) sim/strategy gamers.

So, while I wouldn't mind a console version, per se, I think it would be a lot of somewhat wasted effort that could be spent on adding extra goodies and other features.

I guess (this is a guess, mind you; I have no actual data on this) that even if a sim/strategy gamer has a console, it's very likely that they would also have a PC. I'd say this is likely because of the lack of console sim/strategy titles and the comparative abundance of sim/strategy PC titles. I'd also say that the abundance of PCs in general, in all households, also makes this likely.

So, in my opinion, you would be reaching a most likely very small (comparatively) community of gamers by making a sim/strategy game for the console only as opposed to almost all sim/strategy gamers, by making it for PC-only.

Of course, you'd get the biggest coverage by making it for both platforms (i.e Java or tedious re-programming in multiple languages), but that's very often a lot more development work/time.

And, finally I'd like to mention that I'm sorry if this post has sounded a little arrogant. It's not supposed to, but it I'm afraid it might come across that way.

EDIT:

Ooops, forgot to answer Spidy/Dorgath's question.
Quote:

I admit I haven't looked much at what console games are out there specificially (pretty obvious considering I don't have a console), but I do look for sim/strategy games in general, and I very rarely find one for a console system.

Not to mention, what few console sim/strategy games I've seen didn't look very good. For instance, bad reviews and/or simply not good in my personal opinion from screenshots, feature lists, etc.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a console so I didn't know the current state of affairs.

Are "console" players clamoring for more strategy titles (i.e. is the demand out there)? I mean, the situation seems like a catch-22 - no titles so no players and no players so no titles. Maybe this can help the genre for the console.

But I agree not to make it solely for the console.

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well you know it seems to me that the consoles in general are more geared for action games.
One example is that the console controler interface is designed for more intense action than a PC's keyboard and mouse. On the other hand the PC keyboard can easily "hotkey" far more commands than a console controler and I find that a mouse is far quicker and more accurate pointer. While you can buy "add-on" accessories for either platform to overcome the interface difficulities of a "stock system", it seems that consoles and PCs are by their very design better suited for different tasks.

evanescenceguyem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hows come this website says : "Release date: cancelled"

Apple

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No, it doesn't.

It says, "Release Date: Canceled" (sic)

Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Because it has been canceled. Jay's talking to new publishers now.

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gamespot sort of jumped the gun by putting that page up in the first place...

Apple

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that they spelt 'Cancelled' as 'Canceled' appear to suggest uncertainty. Thus, if the reports were untrue, they could blame it on an unnamed junior writer who could not even spell correctly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: