Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Majestyís new direction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argitoth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alfryd wrote:
Quote:
Majesty 2 is a Real-time Strategy, not an RPG.

Majesty is a Real Time Simulation Playing Game, or RTSPG, which makes it approximately one of a kind.

Nay, you're making up acronyms.

The reason Real-Time Strategy is described as Real-Time is because some Strategy games are Turn-Based. Now, it's usually a given that Simulations games are Real-Time; therefor you can knock out the "RT" from RTSPG. You are left with SPG. You cannot describe a Simluation as a "Playing Game" because that's also a given. Now all you're left with is "S": simulation. So you're basically saying Majesty is a simulation? You could call it a Hero Sim or Fantasy Kingdom Sim of course.

Lastly, the only type of game you need "Playing Game" to describe are RPGs. "Playing Game" is needed to finish the description of "Role" when describing a game. You could take out "Playing" from the description, but usually one doesn't say, "Lets do a bit of Role." Instead, one says, "Lets do a bit of Role-play." Therefor you *should* keep the "Playing" in RPG. End.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cooker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

blah, does it matter what it is if it's fun ?

Alfryd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The reason Real-Time Strategy is described as Real-Time is because some Strategy games are Turn-Based.

And some real-time games are FPS or sport or racing titles, hence the term strategy.
Quote:
Now, it's usually a given that Simulations games are Real-Time; therefor you can knock out the "RT" from RTSPG.

Civilisation?
Quote:
You are left with SPG... ....the only type of game you need "Playing Game" to describe are RPGs. "Playing Game" is needed to finish the description of "Role" when describing a game.

This was valid in the days when an RPG consisted of tabletop dice-rolls and you actually had to invest effort into simulating your character's behaviour, but the genre title has been carried over into computer gaming despite it's double-redundancy. The loose idea is that instead of being represented by a single character (role) you are represented by an entire settlement (simulation.) I maintain the validity of my obscure and unwieldy acronym.

Quote:
I think the easiest way to make majesty more quest-orientated involve three aspects...

That's not quite what I was interested in. I want to know how it is possible for the sovereign to orchestrate the kind of non-combat related activities that would make these quests interesting. A different variety of reward flags? How does one seperate scouting duties from a beligerant invasion (i.e, ensuring that heroes simply look around without engaging in combat, and try to remain unseen.) How is diplomacy handled?

Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Like I said, I like the questing idea, but how does that fit in with the overall scheme of Majesty? Is it just one big game from now on? Or do you still have the "scenarios" (which are in effect quests themselves - fight boss, retrieve item, etc).

I'm not sure if this is expanding on the quest idea, but I'm thinking of making the scenarios more "linked". If you complete one, you get a bonus of some type when you start the next one. This bonus would have to be "generic" so you can still do any scenario you want, so something like carry over a hero (I think this was a long-ago wish-list item), additional gold (as long as it doesn't unbalance the intent of the next scenario), heroes start with x healing potions already, etc.

But anyway, making the scenarios matter more to each other. Kinda like Wing Commander only you can't really "fail" a scenario (well, at least under the current structure. I guess you could revamp the entire "campaign" to be something like Wing Commander entirely - succeed at a scenario, things are easier at the next. Fail, and things are harder. But then you don't have the "pick and choose" scenario idea as it currently is).

Cooker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Itís in fact quite easy to stimulate non-combat behavior, but this does not necessarily involve flags.

If the monster in question carries a lot of gold, you know your rogues will want to steal from it, and therefore reveal some intelligence in the process. You could go ahead and cast invisibility on a rogue. Since the AI would realize now it will not be detected, the rogue will go ahead and steal from the target in question.

If the creature is really powerful enough, just place attack or capture bounty on him, as long as one does not have paladins. The party will of course scout before engaging the creature, however they will realize itís very powerful, and though will fall back to camp. Then dismiss the flag.

However other situation may be trickier.

Diplomacies are handled by parties themselves. The Hero with highest influence to the group entering negotiation (e.g. a priest of the same deity) would be chosen to conduct negotiations. The rest would be dice rolls.

The important thing is the self formed party and sophisticated hero intelligence (hopefully result of a supervised/ reinforced learning process) that would form the core of the game play. Your will not have many parties, but each are essential for certain type of quest, and you will have all the freedom to customize your party though building placements.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: