Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Dos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krypta

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Dos? Reply with quote Back to top

I've got windows XP on my computer and to my horror I noticed that all the great dos games I have are unable to run. Crying or Very sad Does anyone know a way that I can play them without buying a new old computer Question
3-Command & Conquer: Generals

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can get to MS-DOS through the Accessories Folder, which is called Command Promt Arrow.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think that's now a "simulation" of DOS, not true MS-DOS.

You'd probably need to create some DOS boot disks (which of course you'd need old DOS unless they're out on the Net somewhere).

Frankly, I think you're out of luck though. Even if you got DOS games to "run", they'd probably be too fast with today's CPU power. You'd need additional programs to "slow down" your computer (or turn off the internal cache, a method that worked when I had a Pentium about 6-7 years ago).

Krypta

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How would I get a Dos Boot Disk and how would I use one Question

PS: I have very little knowledge of this sort of thing.

Lurn

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What about DOSBox? It's supposed to emulate DOS very well, made for games (though any application would work).

EDIT: You can also change the cycles/sec speed of programs so they run at whatever speed you want them too.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To get a DOS boot disk, you either need someone with the DOS disks (which might be near impossible nowadays) or perhaps they're on the web somewhere.

Or give Lurn's idea a try Smile

Apple

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use MoSlo to run DOS games at a decent speed.

DOSBox is a good idea too although I can't seem to remember my experience with it - a possible side effect of using it?

:mrgreen:

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've tried MoSlo but probably didn't use it right as it didn't seem to affect my games Smile

Krypta

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I tried DOSBox and it left me staring blankly into space. How do you use the damm thing???

Apple

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some memories coming back now...
I tried using DOSBox on Elder Scrolls I.
Didn't work well - I think it's harder to get an old DOS action title working properly.

DOSBox does come with instructions but you should understand some terms like EMS and XMS. It'll help if you had the DOS game's manual with the system requirements. Just set up DOSBox to follow the games system requirements.

Other than that, I hardly used DOSBox, so I can't remember the specific things to do.

:mrgreen:

Lurn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Krypta: If the main window is really blank, wait a minute or two, as it sometimes taes a while to appear.

Once it starts correctly, try typing INTRO into the main "shell" window. It gives some basic instruction on how to get started.

Krypta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I said blank I ment I had no idea how to use it. I did type intro but can you please give me a step-by-step guide to using it to play a game. I'm no good at these things.

Apple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think I'll leave this up to people who remember their experience of using DOSBox...

Lurn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, Krypta.

1. Find the exact directory of the game on your hard drive. For instance, C:\Program Files\YourGame. If it's down several subfolders, you might want to move it to C:\YourGame, for example.

2. Find the main .bat, .exe, or .com file for the program, and it's filename. You'll need this to start the program in DOSBox.

3. Start up DOSBox. Type this into the main shell window . . .

mount c YourGameDirectory

. . . and press return/enter, YourGameDirectory being, as you might expect, the game directory (i.e. C:\YourGame).

4. Type . . .

c:

. . . and press return/enter. This will place you at your newly mounted drive.

5. Now, type your .bat, .exe, or .com file's filename, followed by it's extension (.bat, .com, or .exe, obviously), and press return/enter. This should start up the program.

6. If you need to speed it up, try pressing Ctrl + F8 or Ctrl + F12. I've never needed this, so I can't offer you any help with this.

Krypta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
1. Find the exact directory of the game on your hard drive. For instance, C:\Program Files\YourGame. If it's down several subfolders, you might want to move it to C:\YourGame, for example.

2. Find the main .bat, .exe, or .com file for the program, and it's filename. You'll need this to start the program in DOSBox.

Err. My game won't install because i have no Dos. So how am I supposed to find the directory? Can the directory be the CD Drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: