Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Henchman psyche
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfryd

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Random expert freestyle in MajX is just daft in any case. It doesn't even resemble the difficulty of the expert quests. And it's very little fun.

Quote:
So sticking from a strategy game perspective, that's a very poor response and solution. I'd rather see my free henchmen die with whom I have no attachment than go for the realistic "why aren't they smart enough to flee?"

I don't want henchmen to be 'free', as in gratis. Besides, peasants who die take some time to respawn, during which time your buildings suffer damage. Dead tax collectors take cash with them. Henchmen who preserve their lives are all to the good, as far as I can tell. And intelligent peasants would not have to be free, as they would preserve themselves better.
You could have features whereby peasants can take refuge inside the buildings they repair, at least in the case of civic structures such as guardhouses/palace.
I definitely want Majesty to retain it's RTS character, but allowing a player an infinite supply of mindlessly subservient cannon fodder is one of the worst things you can do with a strategy game. Majesty's trademark is doing precisely the opposite.
An RTS should be stimulating because of well-developed AI, interesting units and the capacity for real strategic finesse. As real-time-strategy.

Quote:
Certainly, no-one is going to tolerate his workers fleeing just because a monster is nearby. It would, as spiderman pointed, become rapidly impossible to win a game under that condition. However, if the peasant etc. were to flee only if he were attacked, that would be different.

I would certainly tolerate that kind of behaviour. No peasant should be able to repair a building more rapidly than it is being destroyed by any foe up to the task anyway. They should wait until the coast is clear and then repair the structure. And most conflicts should take place well outside your settlement, except for major invasions where all your peasants would be slaughtered in any case.
I don't see the impossibility of winning the game in such a case, if the starting criteria are at all reasonable. I've discussed methods of varying the strength of monster invasions in response to player strength to enhance Co-op play before.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cooker wrote:
Yes, I trust hay and timber building will last very long when stone walls are breached.

We must be playing different games then, as I was under the impression that the Temples, Guardhouses, Blacksmith, and most building were made of mostly stone with perhaps timber supports (as shown in the beginning constructions models). Who knows what the Wizard Guild is made out of :)

Alfryd wrote:
Random expert freestyle in MajX is just daft in any case. It doesn't even resemble the difficulty of the expert quests. And it's very little fun.

But unless freestyle is eliminated from the game, which I seriously doubt, the behavior of the henchment will have to apply to ANY scenario, whether it be "campaign" or freestyle or MP.

On a side note, only two setting of expert freestyle are truly atrocious. 90% of it is fine.

Oops, third side note: You never know what "scripted" behavior or events are even in the scenarios. Like the ending to that quest in NE where you have to destroy all of the mounds in 30 days or so. When you destroy a mound, a swarm of monsters comes right at your settlement, getting stronger as more mounds are destroyed.

Alfryd wrote:
I don't want henchmen to be 'free', as in gratis. Besides, peasants who die take some time to respawn, during which time your buildings suffer damage. Dead tax collectors take cash with them. Henchmen who preserve their lives are all to the good, as far as I can tell. And intelligent peasants would not have to be free, as they would preserve themselves better.
You could have features whereby peasants can take refuge inside the buildings they repair, at least in the case of civic structures such as guardhouses/palace.
I definitely want Majesty to retain it's RTS character, but allowing a player an infinite supply of mindlessly subservient cannon fodder is one of the worst things you can do with a strategy game. Majesty's trademark is doing precisely the opposite.

I'm not sure I understand your third paragraph there with your first. Majesty does give you an "endless" supply but there are hitches as the first states, mainly, it takes time for them to regenerate (plus the travel distance).

I guess I have to see the finished product to see if your proposed behaviors would work. Right now, I still don't think it's feasible to ask a henchmen to "hide" when a monster(s) attacking - I think you need him working on the building and/or being the target the henchmen provides while your hero(s) counter-attack/protect (as I don't know the monster's decision tree or AI, not sure if that is true or not).

Alfryd wrote:
I would certainly tolerate that kind of behaviour.

I don't, not when no changes are made to the appearance of Trolls and rats/Ratmen from sewers.

Sorotor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alfryd wrote:
I would certainly tolerate that kind of behaviour. No peasant should be able to repair a building more rapidly than it is being destroyed by any foe up to the task anyway. They should wait until the coast is clear and then repair the structure. And most conflicts should take place well outside your settlement, except for major invasions where all your peasants would be slaughtered in any case.
I don't see the impossibility of winning the game in such a case, if the starting criteria are at all reasonable. I've discussed methods of varying the strength of monster invasions in response to player strength to enhance Co-op play before.

I was talking about Majesty, as it stands, being modified so that a Peasant would flee at the mere presence of a monster. As it stands, a peasant (maybe two) can repair a Guardhouse at the same rate that a Dragon is destroying it, and since the Dragon is presumably distracted by the arrows from the Guardhouse, the peasants are in no actual danger. Now I'm willing to admit that this is patently ridiculous. Any monster with an ounce of sense will attack the peasants first and the building later -- most monsters would do it anyway, out of hunger or principle. Still, the idea of the peasant being in no actual danger and therefore not fleeing even with monsters nearby might still be valid even under changed circumstances. It would depend on what those circumstances were, and I don't feel inclined to continue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: