Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

"Godspeed"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: "Godspeed" Reply with quote Back to top

This a very strange, long, and pointless disscussion on the term "Godspeed". Read at your own risk:

The term “ Godspeed” is often used to wish the receiver a fast rate of travel. Literally, it means “the speed of (the) God(s)” or “speed granted by (the) God(s)”. However, when used in the Ardanian context, it might as well take on a whole new meaning. There are many ways in which it can be translated. It can mean a fast rate of travel, or a slow one, or even a non-existent one. For just because it is of the gods, does not mean it is good, nor fast. It can just as easily mean a recipient harm instead of good. For instance, if an Ardanian was to ask Ferves for godspeed, they might hear the laughing of a maniac and find their feet entangled in vines. You see, they merely asked for the speed granted by the gods, not a fast speed. And so, their wish was granted in a very bad way. The first spells that come to mind are Winged Feet and Teleport. However, the entire list that I know of, consisting of spells and items, is this: Winged Feet, Teleport (Short and Long), Vigilance, Dismiss, Gate, Speed Tonic, Petrify, Paralyze, Whirlwind, Vines, Wither, the Plague, and any number of unique quest items. The listing of Petrify, Paralyze, Vines, Wither and the Plague are instances of the negative meaning. Petrify, Vigilance, Vines, Wither, Gate, Dismiss, Whirlwind, and Winged Feet are all Sovereign Spells. The plague is cast by Ratmen Shamans, Paralyze by Evil Octali, Teleport by many heroes or via a Teleportation Amulet, Speed Tonic can be purchased from the Magic Bazaar, and the quest items are, well, items (duh!). Petrify is also used by the Greater Gorgons to stop their foes from blocking. There is also the matter of the spell Change of Heart and the Shape Shift Tincture and spell. The Abode spell Change of Heart (CoH) can be used to cause a hero to Flee in Terror. Some might argue that this causes a hero to run faster, if they were walking, or to start running if they were not. However, I believe that this is a matter for another thesis, and should not be discussed in depth here. Also, the matter of Changing Shape could allow a given hero to go faster or slower, depending on what monster they transform into. Therefore, that should be listed here.

Well, that was my long and fairy pointless report. Feel free to comment, for I, as a new writer, take all criticism into account, as long as it’s not totally absurd. Anyways, thanks for reading this, and if you read it out loud, have a glass of water and take a few deep breathes. Very Happy

XxaxX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think you actually make an interesting point, even if the point is pointless
(haha, i make funny, yah) uh... please ignore my inner voice... (he's crazy Twisted Evil )
I am XxaxX! (by the way that's spelled CAPITAL 'X' at the end AND front, and it's pronounced Zax, it is supposed to make you tremble, but seeing as my avatar is that of an un-named ranger, i think were past that point) P.S. enjoy the the free rok's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: