Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

About "The Thallisian Games"
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: About "The Thallisian Games" Reply with quote Back to top

(Skip to the end if you don't want to read this.)

"The Thallisian Games are one of the oldest tournaments in Ardania -- oldest, and most sinister. They first were held soon after the religious wars of Makkat the Mad. Since that time, the Games have taken place once every three years, in an arena built on the outskirts of the ruined city of Thallis. They are hosted by the mysterious person known as Jinex. Apparently a powerful magician, he has directed the tournament since its inception, three hundred years ago. Teams or solitary fighters enter the tournament, hoping to win the prize: a single wish, granted by Jinex. However, the risk is high. Many fighters die in the Games; some simply vanish. No-one is allowed to drop out; the arena is enchanted so that, once entered in the Games, participants must stay until the conclusion.
In the arena, anything goes. The most common way for a fighter to lose a fight is to lose his life. However, being incapacitated or out of the ring for ten seconds also results in a loss. Disputes are either settled by the herald or by Jinex himself. Each team or individual competes in a series of matches, until they reach the last match, where they are paired against the previous year's reigning Champions. The teams vary; like the fighting, anything goes. From Heroes to villains, from demons to ghosts, all fighters are welcomed. It is also traditional for a special "guest" to be invited; such invitations are refused at the risk of one's life.
Many rulers have tried to stop the Games, draining as it does the best Heroes from their realms, but to no avail. Apart from Jinex, several powerful parties have supported the Games over the centuries. Still, that has not kept the High King from declaring them outlaw, and putting a bounty on Jinex's head. To this day, however, the Games continue and the bounty goes uncollected."

The idea behind this is to create the background for a sort of continuous role-playing sort of story. Every author gets his own team (or more, if he feels he can manage it). The teams then compete against each other and "filler" teams. I, through the character of Jinex, control the Games and play the part of "Dungeon Master". You can have your characters simply compete for the prize, try to get the bounty on Jinex, or investigate the mysteries of the Games. The last, however, are extremely riskly. The story ends when either one of the teams/heroes gains the prize, or Jinex is killed.
If this is a success, I'll do more tournaments. In the meantime, I'll wait for the end of the current ToF plus another week before actually beginning the Games. (I still have some more "preparational" work to do: descrbing the arena and Jinex, plus the "previous" tournament's Champion/s.)
So ... anybody interested?

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll add after Flame Wars, then take a brake from ToF and have the Insane Family join as a team. Very Happy

Gandalf:Here at last, on the shores of the sea comes the end of our Fellowship.

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

*Grins* Plotplotplot...Just gotta get 'em out before the plot bunnies eat you, eh? ^_~ Well, I'd definitely be interested. (Heh - I muss watching Yuyu Hakusho and the Dark Tournament episodes...*G* This reminds me of the gold ole days. ^_~) So...Yes, I think I oculd come with a character, or a team...Hm...Drawing from every RP game I own...Heehee. Fun. ^_^

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment. - Raistlin Majere

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, you watch Yu Yu Hakusho too, Raist? As it happens, the Dark Tournament is one of my inspirations for this story-line; the other is Twisted Metal.
If you're interested in joining, post your teams and their descriptions in this topic. I'll need some information on their abilities. Nothing precise, just relative statistics and abilities to help me determine the victors in a fight. After all, when two authors engage each other it is unlikely that either will want to admit defeat. Considering this, it's probably best that you PM me the stats/abilities, so that you can't start "inventing" better and better abilities to outclass your opponents. I'm sure none of you would do that, but it's better to remove temptation. Wink
Speaking of the Insane family, I feel it best to point out that any character ever used on these Forums can be entered into the tournament, as long as there's a convincing back-story. Remember, this is "real" Ardania, not the game.
Okay, I think that's it. Next, I'll post the "leader-board".

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

...Any character previously used? *Grins* Would that make Raistlin elligible? ^_~

Hm...I'll need to think about a few characters....Gimme a day...or so...*Scratches head* Been a bad night - can't quite think straight yet. :-p Rolling Eyes

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment. - Raistlin Majere

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm ... sort of. Only, what would Raistlin wish for in Ardania that he couldn't get for himself?

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

...Your point. ^_~ Well, that just means I'll have to come up with some all new ones. I hate using a character from an old story in a new one...they belong in the story they were created for. Smile So...I'll be reading more books to find characters to use as a base...*Grins* I'm in the middle of Graps of Wrath and Candidae )Steinbeck and Voltaire, respectively) - I forsee a sarcastic yet simple, naive young man with a blinding devotion to his love, a hate of all opression, a will to rise against his opressors...with a southern accent.

Rolling Eyes Heeheehee...Sounds fun. ^_~

Cooker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: heh Reply with quote Back to top

2 word:

dragons, food :D

I might join if my dragons think there is food to be gained in participation.

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I knew I was forgetting something ...

Special Characters

Jinex

An aristocratically dressed man with a ruined face. He runs the Thallisian Games. His motives and past remain unknown.

Zither

A nek'yu, or "spirit cat", who serves as Chief Herald for Jinex. She enjoys the bloody Games, but her true reason for serving in the Arena is her deep devotion to Jinex.

Leaderboard

Ambermane Team: Current Champions (Wins: 1)

A team under the leadership of Vorna Ambermane, an ambitious and bloodthirsthy Minotaur chieftain. The other members of his team are Sikhu, a Minotaur shaman, and a cold-eyed Rogue named Durthang.

Zilmarrial: Special Guest (Wins: 0)

Most commonly known as "the Legendary Swordsman", Zilmarrial is a lone, renegade Warrior famous throughout the lands of both Northern and Southern Ardania. There are many legends about him, but few have ever met him in person. Although he disappeared four years ago, Jinex managed to track him down and "invited" him to the Games as the special guest.

The Tigereye Team (Wins: 0)

A team of adventurers with mixed motives. Apparently they caught the eye of one of the Games' un-named backers, who invited their leader, a Solarus named Arydia Seardark, to join. The other members of this team are a Warrior, Sir Argoth Keenswing; a Paladin, Wiola of the Swift Blade; an Adept, Trelan of the Wind; a Ranger, Alleran Gnarlswood; a Healer, Hyjara the Tender; and a Wizard, Amelorn the Insightful. A team of many talents, drawn from all over Ardania, but with an unstable composition.

The Stellar Team (Wins: 0)

Another mixed team. Several unusual features of this team are a male religious of Krypta, a tamed Roc, and two tamed Vargs. Their captain is Will the Spellcaster, a Hero who combines the talents of a Wizard with an Adept.

Minor Teams

Team Iljar

A team composed of Iljar the Pyronian and two Evil Oculi.

Team Sable Eliminated

A four-man team from Shovrah-Dan. Led by a Wizard, the other members are a Rogue, a warrior, and a Ranger.

Now then.
Cooker: The Dragons can certainly get enough to eat. Jinex has no objection to seeing his contestants devour each other. Also, if they win, Jinex will grant any wish they ask (barring wishes that would disrupt the Games, or that are beyond his power).
Everybody: The Legendary Swordsman has been mentioned before, but not in a story. Find some of his legends in "Ballads, Peoms, Etc."
The Couriers mentioned in my last post are a breed of simple-minded teratogenics, whose main power consists in long-range teleportation and invisibility. In case you were wondering.

Last edited by Falotar on Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cooker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/gamespyarchive/newnodwick.html

dragons are fun Very Happy

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cooker, Cooker, Cooker ... I don't know what I'm going to do with you. On the one hand, you've gotten me hooked on a series of comics that will devour hours of my time. On the other-hand, being a spoof of a fantasy game, they'll probably give me a great deal of inspiration for ToF.
Wink

Cooker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Another one for ya Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

There is another one, less dragons involved though

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, can we enter an all new team? I've amost never posted on something like this before, I posted twice maybe in a ToF, and was about to take part in 'Strange Companions' when it went down, so I don't really have a backstory. The characters are from my many characters in HoA, myself is Will the Spellcaster. Here's the team I'm proposing:

Will the Spellcaster: A Wizard/Adept who is the leader of the team, a strange Wizard in the fact that he is physically fit, and can access all Wizard and Adept spells. Also knows the basic healing spells taught to the follewers of Agreala. Fights with a staff, you'll see the description in my post. Level 55

K`vin: A Priest (male priestess) who is the treasurer for the team, has seen rather than participated in battles, so he's only level 37 but has great wisedom. Has 2 Skeleton Followers, one carries a mace, the other an axe.

Lessa: A paladin who forsakes the rigedness of the Dauros-Agreala team v.s. the Ferves-Krypta team format by traveling with K'vin, a great asset to the team, very skilled with the sword. Still has no temper for any cultiests she comes across however. Approxamate Level: 45

Master Robinton: Rouge who takes on many disguises and has the fighting abilities to perform near perfactly with each one. Currently acting as a Monk. Has the spells and abilities of a monk, cultiest (doesn't use them when Lessa's around), rouge, and various monsters. He can act almost any role that he's called to, as long as he doesn't need to use spells. His worst role is that of an Elf, as they need to be tall, and he's very short. His favorite pastime is earning gold for the team by acting as a merchant and swindling passerbys with well-thought of schemes. Approx. Level: 52

Screech: a Roc that was tamed with the combined spells of the Master and Will, Screech has learned what is considered appropriate by the civilized world and what is not. Screch is the messenger of the team, as she can understand the many languages of Ardania, and can easily carry paper messeges tied to her leg.She is also the team's unofficial spy, with many untold abilities. She is cared for by Robinton. Approx. Level: 39

Briar Moss: a Ranger from Mayhew, has two pet vargs that act as smart hunting dogs, Fang and Flash are their names. Approx. Level: 43

Ediola Bright Flare: (she has no relation to the one in the ToF stories) A solarus that chooses to ignore Will's adept training, extremely smart, loves to throw her mace. Approx. Level: 38

Fang: A tamed Varg, cared for by Briar, leathal with the use of his fangs, hence the name. Approx. Level: 37

Flash: The second of Briar's pets, Flash is very good with her claws, and is faster that the eye can follow. She is part Varg and part Shadowbeast, but looks like a big Varg. She used to serve as Styx's personal messenger, but escaped, met up with Fang, and was retamed by Briar. Approx. Level: 42

Last edited by Will the Spellcaster on Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:17 pm; edited 3 times in total

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

*Cough* Will? Would you happen to be a fan of Anne McCaffrey's Pern? Just wondering - the honourifics, and of course the name Lessa seem very...Pern. ^_~

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yup! I've read as much of the series I can find. I went through a phase where I did a lot on HoA with these names. So I'm reusing them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: