Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

The Sovereign II
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:14 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

The Sovereign II

Queen Alhana stood by her window and cried. Her mother, Queen Carmen II had only recently died, leaving Alhana, her only child, as ruler of the thriving city of Magicum.
Alhana was only thirteen, the youngest queen in more then thirty years. Alhana's father had been a warrior, and was killed in battle before Alhana was five.
"Princess-Queen Alhana?" asked Alcarioth Atreinos. All the Atreinos'(If you asked them) had always been advisors to the Magisray royal family, and now, since her mother was dead, Alcarioth was advisor to Alhana.
Alhana dried her eyes quickly and turned to face him.
"Yes?" she asked brokenly.
His brow furrowed in concern.
"Are you allright Highness?"
"Fine." she snapped. When she saw Alcarioth shrink back, she softened.
"I'm sorry Alcarioth, It's just...I'm just..." she trailed off, not wanting to say it.
"Your what, Prin-Highness?"
"Scared." she whispered.
Atreinos went to stand by Alhana. He had watched her and his son, Darius, grow. The two children had become very good friends in the thirteen years they had lived.
"Scared of what Highness?"
"Alcarioth, I was given a name for a reason. Please us eit."
"Alhana, you are avoiding the question."
"I'm scared of ruling. I don't wish to be murdered in my sleep. I'm only thirteen Alcarioth! I can't do this alone."
"Oh, no, child, you shant do this alone!" he said softly as he held the crying child in his arms.
"Not alone at all! You do, afterall, have myself as an advisor." He gave her a fatherly smile. "Darius too, he will help you."
Alhana dried her eyes.
"Thank you Alcarioth, you were always able to make me feel better.
"You came here to tell me something. What is it?"
"Oh yes. The coronation will take place tomarow afternoon. You must prepare a speech for it. There shall be some guests from D'Tar Mordin, you should welcome them."
"Yes sir." Alhana said.
Alcarioth raised his eybrows.
"Highness, I am only your advisor, not a superior!"
Alhana blushed, and said,
"You should leave now and let me compose a speech."
Alcarioth stood. Yes your Highness." He bowed himself out of the room, leaving Alhana to ponder her speech.

------------------
Raistlin, Archmagus of the hour glass eyes

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.- Raistlin Majere

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:16 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

"Friends, honored guests from D'Tar Mordin, I thank you so much for coming, this day means very much to me.
"As your ruler, I will fair and just, merciful and gentle. Any wrong doings will be punished acordingly, the wrong doers treated with mercy and understanding. I give you my word that the Magisray line will continue it's just and merciful rule with me. Magicum shall be a wonderous place to live for man, mnay years!"
Loud cheers followed Alhana's speech.
Alcarioth Atreinos led her to the throne that had been brought out onto the balcony on which the coronation took place. When Alhana was seated, Darius Atreinos came forth with the Queen's Crown, the crown that had been passed down through the Magisray line sinc the first Queen Carmen. Darius gently placed the crown on her head. Then Alcarioth Atreinos came forward, and kneeling, he said loudly, "Ipledge allegience to the Queen Alhana, ruler of Magicum, as her wise advisor. I shall advise the young queen until she has come of age, upon which either my son, or I shall advis her Highness when she sees fit."
"Now, said Alhana. "Please take a moment to quiet yourselves and honor my mother, the late queen Carmen II."
After a moment to honor the late queen, the crowd erupted in cheers.
"Long live Queen Alhana!" cried someone from the crowd.
Alhana had to smile. Though their grief for the dead queen was great, the people were able to put that aside and cheer for their new queen.
Not everyone cheered though. A certain mage all the way in the back wearing a heavy cloak that hid his face from veiw did not cheer. He left quickly, hurrying to his twisted tower, a tower even more twisted then the man.
Alhana did not see this man leave. Even if she had seen him,she wouldn't have known him. If it had been the first Queen Carmen there, she would have known him. She would have been scared. But, Carmen was not ruling, Alhana was, and she did not know who Tanasril the Twisted was, rather, is.
Alhana bid her subjects farewell, and retreated to the library, where she knew she could be alone.

------------------

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.- Raistlin Majere

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:22 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

Alhana pulled out a book on sword mastery. Alhana had refused the profesion of a priestess, as so many of her line had. She had also refused to follow Agrela and Helia. She had said that she wanted no god, but a the hilt of a sword in her hand. Darius had suggested the life of a paladin, but Alhana had refused that too. She wanted to be slave to no god, not a worshipper of sacred ways. Alhana wanted to become a warrior, as her father had. He had taught her many, many things about his life as a warrior;she could have said a trainee's day by heart. She had learned all she knew of swords from him;until he died, that is. Alhana became the first women warrior.
She looked down at the sword mastery book. She couldn't concentrate, couldn't focuse. The only thought in her head was her great-great-great-great grandmother, Queen Carmen I.
In many ways, Alhana looked and acted just as Carmen had. They both had black hair, the edges naturally blonde. Both of them had the Dragon Eyes, as they were now called. Dragon Eyes were eyes that changed color with the person's moods. The two were very proud, and somewhat haughty. In fact, there was merly one difference between them; Carmen's beleifs had always lied with Krypt, while Alhana could not stand the rules of any of the gods. She became a warrior because she did not want to have to abide by all the divine rules. She just wanted to have a sword in her hand, or by her side.
Her blade, a gift fropm her father before he died, was always by her side. It was rather plain, except for the three jewels encrusted on the hilt. There was a black obsidian stone, which glared blindingly in in the sun. There were also two silver stones alien to her country. The blade it self was made of mirthril, painted gold. The scabbard for it was also plain, to ward off rogues.
When Alhana had first gone to the guild, she wore plain clothes, nothing royal. She also went alone, showing no sign that she was the princess. She wore her blade at her side. She kept her head down so that noone would recognize her. She stopped a warrior to ask him where the training room was. He had responded, saying that there were no paladins in their guild, to try another. Alhana replied, saying that she did not wish to become a paladin, but a warrior. The man had laughed, but pointed her in the direction of the training grounds. When she reached them, she strode proudly past the men and young boys training up tp the guildmaster who was teaching them. She waited patiently until the master called a break.
He had turned to her, asking what she wanted. When she told him, he too had laughed. "women can't be warriors!" he had said.
"All except me." she had said, and and lifted her head to show her face. The guildmaster, a man called Silveredge, bowed respectfully, but was firm in his answer.
Alhana had offered to go against one of his stronger warriors, saying that if she bested the man, that Silveredge would make her a warrior. Of course, in the end, Alhana was made a warrior. She bested the other warrior easily, with her sword to his neck he had given up.
ALhana sighed. She closed the book and put it back on the shelf. As she stood, Darius walked in.
"Hello Alhana. Are you well?" asked Darius in greeting.
"Yes, quite well. And you"
"I am well, thank you. Dinner is in an hour. There will be a great many guests, some from D'Tar Mordin. My father says you should get ready soon."
"Yes," Alhana sighed, "I suppose I shall."
"Alhana, are you sure you're allright?"
"Yes, just thinking."

In her room, Alhana sat down in a chair and thought a moment before getting into the beautiful gown laid out for her.
So this is ruling. she thought. Perhaps it wont be so bad afterall...

Truly a sad tale that the legend of Tanasril the Twisted had not been pased down through the Magisray line. Even sadder, Alhana did not realize the great danger she was in.

------------------

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 9:33 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

Sad, indeed. Long ago, at the time of the founding of Magicum, the Lord Genral of D'Tar Mordin had attempted to overthrow the Emperor. Since Emperor Tarfulth II had been hammering out an alliance at the time, the ensueing turmoil had caught up the then Princess Carmen and introduced her to the evil archmage, Tanasril. This mad magician had practiced the forbidden art of teratogeny, the creation of monsters. His body was as twisted as his soul, and his mind was broken, but he had been feared among those who knew his talents. He had been considered a master of teratogeny.
Well, now he knew better. Master of teratogeny had he been called? Now he surpassed even the Old Masters, as practicioners of his art called Andravus and Pyrog. And he had mastered other of the black arts as well.
Save for his hair whitening and his voice cracking from age, Tanasril had not changed much from the old days. He had always harboured a deep love for his creations, and had been deeply offended when that girl, as he called Carmen, had refused to allow him to improve her. He blamed her for his delving into the secrets of Krypta and Fervus, and a natural hate grew out of his combined emotions. He had spent centuries gathering force to prove to Carmen - or rather her descendants - that they should never have scorned his invitation to transformation. Of course, their prosperous kingdom would have to go as well... all this passed through his head as he hurried from the bounds of that same kingdom.
Reaching the foundation of what had once been a mill, he stopped, and activated the portal he had there. It could transport him instantly from here to the Ilse of Dragons, where he had his tower. He stepped through it,
He just before the gates of his tower. It was a well fortified abode, with an encircling wall and crenellations ringing the top of the main tower. Four spires jutted from the corners of the main one, and one, taller than the rest and oddly twisted, marked his own dwelling. The Tower, as he called the entire edifice, was well patrolled by guards - of his own design, of course. Two of them flew down from their position over the gates, to greet him.
"Master," said one, bowing and touching his forehead in salute; he was taller of the two and wore a grey cloak over polished black mail. The other, who wore only the mail, followed his example. "Welcome home. The High Commander is waiting for you."
"Thank you, Captain," said Tanasril, smiling. The cloak indicated the creature's rank; Tanasril certainly could keep all his soldiers straight by memory. They bred like goblins. Not surprising; they were goblin, though he had given them wings and instilled some intelligence and bravery into them. He was deservedly proud of his aergoblins, as he called them. "Would you be so good as to tell them to lower the gates? I am sure Grannok would not like to be keep waiting."
"At once, Master," said the captain, bowing again. He turned to the other aergoblin. "Drannom, go tell Rathluk to open the gates."
"Immediately, sir." The shorter fellow saluted, bowed to Tanasril, and was off. He flew over the wall and disappeared. Soon after the gates swung open, creaking slightly. Tanasril reminded himself to have a word with Yquellar, the Chief Engineer, about them.
"If you will follow me, Master," said the captain cordially. The creature provided an arm fo the hunchback to lean on, and Tanasril accepted it gratefully. Thus he strode into the Tower. It was good too be home.
At the foot of the tower proper, the aergoblin captain left him to fly back up to the walls. Tanasril entered. Inside was a maze, but he negotiated it with ease. Finally he came to the staircase he wanted, and he took it up to his chambers. There, awaiting him, were both Grannok and Yquellar. Too birds with one stone.
Grannok was High Commander of the aergoblins. He was bigger than two of the others put together, and had an impressive wingspan of sixteen feet when he chose to fly. He was presently seated in one of the three chairs in the room, but he wore a sword and with it an air of readiness. He was an able commander, as well as a skilled swordsmaster, and had directed several raids against the people on the mainlands.
Yquellar Vanathael was what Tanasril had called an Eldwarf. Tanasril had created them by blending Dwarven stock with Elven, and was as proud of that as he was of the aergoblins. Yquellar was as lithe and quick-fingered as any Elf, with blue-tinged skin and pointed ears. He was also short, coming up only to Tanasril's shoulders and he with a stoop, and the neatly trimmed beard identified his Dwarven heritage. He was the Chief Engineer, and was as finely tund for that as Grannok was for soldiering. He occupied the chair across from the High Commander, which emphasived hissmallness. The last chair was empty, and Tanasril seated himself there.
"Well, how what the last raid?" he asked of Grannok.
"Excellantly well, Master," replied the aergoblin. "We captured near to an entire village, as well as rounding up some hellbears for your expiraments."
"Good!" said Tanasril, rubbing his hands and smiling. "At this rate, we'll be ready to attack Valmorgen soon. Have you shown the prisoners the dragon yet?"
"Yes, sir. They know what will happen if they resist."
"Think they know," interjected Yquellar with a cruel smile. The Eldwarf was right; Garelstramin the Dragon was as much a prisoner as any of the humans. That he was inleague with Tanasril was a ruse kept up to insure the humans would stay in line.
"Hmm, Yquellar. Did you know that the gate is getting rusty? Is that why you are here?"
"No, Master, though I was aware of that. They will be seen to. I am here because we've completed work on your laboraory."
"At last!" Tanasril rubbed his hands again, and a boyish smile lit up his malformed face. "I've waited years for it to be complete!"
"Would you like to inspect it now, sir?"
"In a minute. First, I want to ask you, do you remember me speaking of Princess Carmen?" The two exchanged glances. Their Master was known to have a touchy temper on this subject. At the same time, they knew it had some connection was his recent journey, and were eager to discover more.
"Yes, Master," replied Yquellar cautiously.
"I've wanted revenge on her for a long time. Well, not revenge really, but that's the closest I can come to it. She's dead, now, but she's got a great-great-something granddaughter on the throne in that kingdom her father founded. I want my revenge. Can you help me?
"Of course, Master," said Grannok, and Yquellar nodded.
"Good. Now,let's go see what you've made for me, Yquellar!"

The Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:14 am    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

The waves of the sea washed along the beach with a gentle splash. The beach was along the west coat of Ardania, south of the port-city, Volencia. The beach was actually a "beach pass." To the north and south of the beach, the sea met large cliffs, impossible for any ships to anchor. The beach was small, the white sand soon dissolved into long, green grass. If one looked carefully, one could see the remains of a city. The city had been called Lolsaos. Lolsaos had once been a prosperous city, created by the King to be a protection-city from the creatures of the sea. Lolsaos had been destroyed by numerous hurricanes pounding the city relentlessly. If one looked carefully into the fog, he could see something large coming. Ships.

The ships were coming...

One large ship could be seen, the Bloodspawn. Behind it more ships begin to arrive out of the fog.

The ships were coming...

The ships all anchored as the Captain of the fleet walked out onto the Bloodspawn's deck. The man was wearing a short tunic, revealing large muscular arms, and long, loose pants. The man was huge, seven feet, ten inches tall. He was covered from head to toe with tattoos. The tattoos displayed pictures of battles, swords, and bloody victims. His long black hair was braided with gold and long gold earrings covered this ears, forehead, cheeks, chin, lip, and tongue. A long, five-foot, sword was strapped to his side. The man looked like could have come from Death itself. Dragun. Dragun the Murder. Dragun the Pirate. Dragun the Conqueror.

The ships were coming...

Dragun turned to his first mate, Faluum, and nodded. Faluum turned and barked out an order. Instantly a large flag, was raised from the Bloodspawn into the air. The flag had four swords crossed. The ships began lowering their smaller ships into the water.

The ships were coming...

Dragun the Conqueror turned to Faluum and said, "Tell Saaterr to take a small party onto the mainland and scout a small area." Faluum nodded and went off to do his Captain's orders.

Dragun smiled. This land was ripe for the picking. Soon it would be his.

The ships had arrived...

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:13 am    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

"The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen!" The shouts echoes up the halls from the main gate. Wodenthall set down the book he had been reading and went to see what the commotion was about. If he had heard right, it was the greatest event in Magicum since he had ben acknowledged Lord Baron of Castle Silveredge.
"What's all this?" he asked, stepping into the gatehouse. The two Palace Guards who would normally be on duty in the town were sitting at a table with a man. Wodenthall recognized him as Intreth, the runner who carried the news back and forth from Silveredge to the capital.
"Carmen's dead, Milord," he said, rising gracefully and bowing. "Alhana has been crowned Queen."
"Long live the Queen." Wodenthall paused, considering. "Isn't she a bit young to rule?"
"Maybe, but Carmen I wasn't much older when she first took the throne. Besides, Alhana has Alcarioth to look after her."
"There is that," said Wodenthall. "Alcarioth may be an arrogant man, but he is wise."
"Oh, speaking of the Advisor, Alcarioth has anounced that there will be a feast held in Magicum this evening. You are invited; will you come?"
"Naturally!" Wodenthall was renowned for his ability to consume large amounts of food and drink. He was a fat man, but quick on his feet and skilled with his sword for all his weight. That sword now hung at his side: a mithril blade, oldest heirloom of the Silveredge family.
"Just let me get a suitable retinue together. Toberk!" Toberk Silverdge was his Advisor, as well as a second cousin and a close friend. "Tell me, Intreth, who else will be at the feast?"
"Visitors from D'Tar Mordin, Milord. Rumour says that the Emperor himself will appear, but I don't know about that. Baron Thaman, of Thaman's Point, is invited also."
"Hmmmph." Daric Thaman was the only thing that could put Wodenthall out of countenance. There was a traditional rivalry between the two houses, and it showed no signs of dying down soon. Wodenthall suddenly decided to ignore the remark, and called again for his Advisor. "Toberk! Where are you?"
"You called, cousin?" Toberk stepped daintily into the room. He was as lean as Wodenthall was fat, though just as tall, and he had the elegance of a dancer.
"Ah, Toby, did you know that Queen Carmen is dead, and her daughter has been crowned?"
"I was aware of that, cousin," he answered. "I suppose you expect me to gather up an escort for you so you can attend the feast?"
"Feast?" returned Wodenthall in pretended shock. "Who said anything about a feast?"
"My dear cousin," said Toberk, smiling, "if Alhana has just been crowned, it follows that there will be a feast. And, since you have a reputation to keep up, it follows that you will attend. Never mind the fact that you treat Her Majesty like an extra niece-"
"I do not!" Wodenthall puffed. He noticed that the runner and the Guards wwere smiling, and he rounded on them. "Don't sit there smiling like fools! Intreth, run on back to Alhana and tell her I'm coming. Hammar, Dreyel, get out on patrol where you belong!"
"Yes, Milord," they all said in unison, and, chuckling, they headed for the gate.
"Oh, and Guards," Toberk called after them, "don't forget to come back in time to join the retinue!"
"Oh, I forgot to tell you," said Intreth over his shoulder,"Krilla, Queen of the Forest, is coming too. And her husband Quinn."
"Really?" said Wodenthall. "Think, Toby! Wouldn't you like to meet a Dryad?"
"Not in your company, glutton," Toberk replied, poking Wodenthall.
"Glutton, shmutton," grumbled Wodenthall. "Is that how you show proper respect for your Baron?"

"Good, Your Majesty," said Treven encouragingly. "Now, try that swing again."
"Do I have to?" said Alhana wistfully. "It's a practice exercise, and I'm far more advanced."
"Even the best swordsmasters have to warm up, my Queen."
"I suppose so." She smiled. "Well then, I give you my royal command to hurry up so that we can get on with the useful material!"
The two continued fighting. Treven Silveredge had been amazed at first, when she had beaten Greyheart so long ago. He guessed that King Mandor had been training her; her boast that she had been born with a sword in her hand could not be too far off.
Treven himself was a master swordsman. He was the best in five generations, ever since the fabled Willem Silveredge. At his side he wore the platinum-steel blade which had been handed down through the guildmasters since Platinius had founded the First Warriors' Guild.
After several hours, Treven put down the wooden practice sword and wiped the sweat from his face. "That's enough for now, Your Majesty. You had better go prepare for your feast. I hear Uncle Wodenthall is coming."
"Yes" she replied, breathless from the long session. "Baron Silveredge, Baron Thaman, Aunt Krilla and Uncle Quinn. Not to mention all the guildmasters and Temple leaders in Magicum, Castle Silveredge and Thaman's Point."
"Well, then I guess I had better get ready too, then."

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:19 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

In her room, Alhana splashed cool water on her face. She always had enjoyed fighting the master;he presented a challenge for her. Unlike some others, he thought about what he did, all the while being quick to act. She pulled on the silver silk gown, and buttoned it. Then she pulled on the matching silver gloves. The dress was lined in gold, flowing out in sighing folds. She pulled her black hair into a bun on her head, letting the blonde edges flow out. She put in several delicate silver hair combes to hold her hair in place. About her neck, she fastened a gold necklace given to her as a birthday present from her parents. It was a gold chain, with a tiny sword hanging by it's hilt. The sword was a minature of her own, made personally by the blacksmith of their town. The neck of her gown being low cut, her necklace showed clearly.
As she left her room to head for the banquet hall, she glanced at her imige in the mirror. She stopped walking. Her mouth fell open. She looked exactly, exactly like her mother. The sight brought fresh tears to her eyes. She quickly wiped them and went on her way, smiling. When her father had died, she had had a similar feeling. It had made her think that her father was "watching" her. Now that she had seen herself, she new that her mother too was watching her. Alhana continued down to the banquet hall, a smile on her face.

------------------

The Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:24 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

Darkness. Total darkness. Absolute nothingness. That was the only way to describe it. Where was he? Who was he?
He couldn't move. He tired to move his arm, his hands, anything. Nothing. It was as if his muscles had been sucked right out of him. He tried to open his mouth but to no avail. Nothing worked. Where was he?
He couldn't remember anything: about who he was, where he was, why he was here. Was he dead or alive? Or in some sort of otherworld? He didn't know. And for some reason, he didn't care. Where was he?
Then he saw a dim light. The light grew and grew, omitting its powerful white light. He triend to close his eyes, but he couldn't. He tried to yell and scream, but he couldn't. The pain was unbearable. Where was he? The light grew brighter and brighter, blinding bright. And just when he thought he couldn't take it anymore...it got worse. Then there was a final flash and then nothing...

He opened his eyes. They worked. But what about his-? Yes, his hands and legs worked too. He groaned in agony. He was on some sort of hard floor. A dim light was pouring in from a hole in the ceiling. Where was he? Who was he? The pain was horrible. With the dim light he could see that he was bleeding. His face was bleeding, and there was a large, deep cut that showed the white of his bone. Blood lay in puddles around him. Where was he? Who was he? He tried to stand, but he only colapsed in a heep of clothes and blood...and pain. Where was he? Who was he?
He glaced around the room. It appeared that he was lying in some sort of window. The window had been built into the floor and was deep in the bloody mud. And that hole above him wasn't a hole after all. It was another window. Who would build something that would have windows in the floor and the ceiling? At one side of the room was what appeared to be a throne of some sort. It's base was attached to the wall and the throne-chair lay sideways on the floor. To his left, was a pair of crystal lights attached to the wall. It was almost as if this building was on its side-
Then it hit him. It hit him so hard that he groaned in remembrance. He remembered who he was and where he was and what he was doing here.
His name was Warder. Warder was a Rekc'Art. He had been fighting his enemy, Draskar. He had tricked Draskar to send the Imperial Palace crashing into the valley wall. He must had fallen through the throne room window and had lain here. But was Draskar dead? Warder shook his head. He had to be. No one could survive that crash. He almost didn't and Draskar had been closer to the edge of the Imperial Palace than he had been. Draskar must be dead. Then Warder heard a loud crack and he looked up at what had once been the wall of the Palace. Rubble from the foundation of the Imperial Palace must have been piled on the "ceiling." The ceiling was going to cave in at anytime.

CRRRRRRAACCCCKKKK!!!!...!!!

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 12:51 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

As Alhana was anounced, deafining applause followed her entrence. She smiled, and took her seat on the throne. The table in front of her was full with exotic foods, drinks, and small decorations. The table was lavishly set; the cooks had outdone themselves. She glanced around at the people there. All of the noblemen were there, along with all the guildmasters, and heroes of Magicum. As she looked, she saw the guests from D'Tar Mordin. It was easy to tell them apart from the people of Magicum; they wore exotic robes, much different from the breeches and tunics and gowns that the people of Magicum wore. Then, Atreinos came walking quickly towards Alhana, a worried look on his face. When he reached her, he said,
"Alhana, the emperor of D'Tar Mordin is here! Shall I have the servants prepare a room for him?"
Alhana thought a moment, then said, "Yes, and invite him to the feast; we do still have a treaty, perhaps he would wish to join, if he is not to tired."
"Yes your Majesty." Atreinos hurried off, heading towards the palace gates. Alhana was thoughtful; why had the Emperor of D'Tar Mordin come? Except for the ones who lived here, people from D'Tar Mordin rarley visited; the treck from D'Tar Mordin to Magicum was a long one.
"The Emperor of D'Tar Mordin!" announced the royal herald. Alhana looked toward the the door. In stepped a young man. Alhana stood, as was polite. The emperor stopped in front of her and bowed. Alhana curtsied back. The emperor took a seat on the dias just below Alhana. When he was seated, Alhana glanced around the room, and anounced,
"Friends, gusts, we have waited long enough; Let the feast begin!"
With that, people bagan to eat, and some cried out, "Long live the Queen!"
Alhana smiled, and attended to her own meal, all the while watching the emperor for clues as to why he was there.

------------------

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:40 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

"Did you see that, cousin?" said Wodenthall, spearing a slab of beef from the table with his sword and depositing it on the platter before him. "His Imperial Majesty from D'Tar Mordin!"
"Yes, cousin, I saw." Toberk waved away a servant who was offering the various guests at their table Elven wine. Toberk did not approve of Elves, or of wine in general. He did, however, have a taste for brandy; tonight it was Lormidian.
"What's his name, do you know?" asked the Baron, while pouring a generous cascade of sauce over his beef.
"Tarmyln III," Toberk replied, sipping his brandy. "I wonder what he's doing here?"
"Hmmm." Wodenthall stared pensively at his meat-laden dagger. "Perhaps His Imperial Majesty wishes to size up our young Queen." He nodded his head, and popped the dagger decisively into his mouth. Pulling it out, he gestured for the servants bearing a large guard house sculpture made of brown sugar.

His Imperial Majesty, Tarmyln III of D'Tar Mordin, was indeed "sizing" the Quen up. He himself was considered young, coming to the throne when he was only sixteen. Having reigned for four years, he was now twenty, and known for his skill as a diplomatic manipulator.
Now he watched the Queen consideringly from the corner of his eye while carrying on a conversaton with the man next to him. Tarmyln decided she was young, but firm, and a touch proud. He could also see she was glancing his way as well, with a look that was reminescent of King Trathan of Lormidia, the only man he could beat him at diplomatic bargaining. She would doubtless be a good ruler in her own right. He hoped so, for he would need a strong ally.

Alcarioth Atreinos frowned distastefully across the table at the Emperor. Lady Marcamber, the Baroness of Thaman's Point, was chattering on in Tarmyln's ear, but the man was only half listening. Alcarioth would have been sympathetic, but he saw where Tarmyln's eyes were tending, and he did not like it. The Emperor looked as if he had designs for the Queen, designs that might very well be unpleasant for her and for Magicum.
Of course, the fact that the young man gave no attention to him also made Alcarioth bristle. He was, after all, the Royal Advisor, second only to the Queen. And when the Queen was as young as Alhana, he practically ran the kingdom himself.
Darius shifted uneasily in his chair next to Alcarioth. On his right; to his left sat the formidable Baron Thaman. Alcarioth could guess what his son was nervous about. Darius too had noticed the Emperor's side-long looks at the Queen, and had misinterpreted them. Darius loved his Queen, in such a way that Alcarioth expected there to be a union between the Atreinoses and the Magisrays, and Darius could be jealous.

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:16 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

For most of the time, the young queen talked with her guests. She greeted the few late people who came, and wished them well.
But, when she was not talking, her attention was turned to the emperor. She was not sure of his name;Tarmyln, or something of the sort. At times, when she turned to look at him, she saw his eyes pointed her way too. This somewhat unnerved her; what did this man want? She leaned back in her chair, letting her gaze sweep around the room. She saw the Thamans talking to the emperor, and some other guests. She also spied the Silveredges, and smiled at Wodenthal. Then her gaze fell on the Atreinos'. She saw saw Alcarioth frown across the table at the emperor. She also saw Darius doing the same.
This can't be goood. she thought. What are they thinking?
A lock of hair fell about her face, and she pushed it behind her ear. She saw Tarmyln glance at her. He quickly looked the other way. Alhana's brow furrowed. What did Tarmyln want? Why was he here? SHe felt eyes upon her, and looked about the hall again. She saw Darius looking at her. She blushed, and smiled at him. After a time of looking around the room, she began to eat again. She was thinking of what she should say;she would most likely have to give another speech, something to welcome Tarmyln, thanking her guests for coming, and sending her subjects home to rest for the coming day of work. She also guessed that she would have to hold conference with the emperor on the morrow. She sighed and closed her eyes a moment.
What a tiresome life, she thought. No wonder mother always looked tired.
One of the nobles started up a conversation with her, and she left her thoughts of the emperor for later.

------------------

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:26 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

As the meal drew to a close, and plates were being cleared away, Alhana stood. All talk died instantly.
"Friends, guests, I'm afraid that this day must draw to a close. Tomarrow, I must request that we get back to work, keeping our city of Magicum safe. I would also like to Welcome His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Tarmyln III of D'Tar Mordin." Polite apllause followed.
"Everyone, I thank you very much for coming. I look foward to being your queen. Gods willing, my rule will be long and prosperous!" This time, loud rowdy cheering followed her speech. Alhana sat back down, and watched as the people left. When almost everyone had left, she herself stood to bid the last remaining families farewell. Only the Thamans and Siveredges were left, along with the Atreinoses, and, of course, the emperor. As the Thamans left, Alhana turned her attention to the Silveredges.
"Baron Wodenthal, Guildmaster Treven, I'm so glad you could come." she greeted them.
"Well of course we came Alhana!" said Wodenthal. Treven tried to stiffle a yawan, to no avail. It was well after midnight, and many of the guests were quite tired. Alhana smiled, and said, "I sould send you on your way now. Afteral, tomarow you must keep the peace." She smiled as they left. She rubbed her eyes and yawned herself, before she realized that the emperor was still there.
"Oh, were are my manners?" she said. "I am Alhana, Queen of Magicum." she curtsied, to which he bowed.
"And I am His Imperial Majesty, Tarmyln III, Emperor of D'Tar Mordin.
"I am sorry to leave so abrubtly, but it is late, and it was a long jurney here."
"Oh, of course, I will have a servant show you to your rooms."
"Thank you very much Your Highness."
Alhana watched thoughtfully as a servant led Tarmyln to his rooms.
What does he want? she thought. She then turned to the Atreinoses.
"It's getting quite late, and I'm sure we're all very tired. Shall we go to our rooms now?"
"Highness," said Alcarioth. "Did you speek to the emperor at all during the feast?"
Alhana cocked her head, wondering what he was thinking.
"No, not at all. This was the first time I spoke with him all night. Why do you ask?"
"Huh, no reason. Yes, let's go to bed, it will be an early morning tomarow."
As Alhana walked to her room, she thought of what Alcarioth possibly could have meant. And why did Darius look so disgruntled? So many questions. She yawned again. Nothing I can't leave for tomarrow she thought as she changed into bed clothes. With one last yawn, she fell into blissful dreamless sleep.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Raistlin, Archmagus (edited 20 September 2001).]

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:41 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

The door boomed shut behind Tanasril. The cavern ceiling arched overhead, droppingmoisture onto the floor. A faint mist seemed to hang in the air, cooling the archmage's heated flesh. This chamber brought a welcome relief from the normal heat and aridity of the Isle of the Dragon Kings. But it was not for comfort that this room had been built and enchanted; no, the mists and moisture were the physical manifestation of an anti-fire spell. A spell meant to contain the creature before him.
Garelstramin the Ancient. The dragon who had inhabited this Isle for centuries. Until Tanasril came, usurping the Isle and binding its denizen. The dragon hated him. And he had come to strike a bargain with the him.
"What do you want, mortal?" growled the dragon. Garelstramin filled half the cavern with his bulk, and much of the rest of the chamber was taken up with mithril chains to hold him.
"Your cooperation," said Tanasril in answer.
"Why should I cooperate with you, mortal?" sneered the dragon. "You usurp my home, chain me in this damp prison, and threaten me with your atrocities. Why should I help you?"
"Becuase, Garelstramin, if you don't help me willingly, you shall do so unwillingly."
The dragon snorted. "You can never command me, mortal. Chain me, yes, but chain my will? You must be mad!"
"I have been called that." The bent old man smiled up at the huge beast. "Come now, Garelstramin, let us be friends."
"Friends!" roared the dragon, jerking at the chains violently. The cavern shook. "Friends? I have never been friends with humankind, and I will not start with you, hunchback!"
"You must start somewhere." In spite of himself, Tanasril had stepped back. "I offer you something that you cannot have chained here."
"What?" Garelstramin snarled in reply.
"Treasure. A city - an entire kingdom! - to loot at your leisure. All you must do is serve me."
"All," said Garelstramin in mocking tones. "Still, Wizard, you have a point. Tell me this: after I have accomplished what you want, I will be free again?"
"Yes."
"Then I will serve you. For a while."
"For a while." Tanasril smiled gently. "But first, I must improve on your natural abilities."
"What?" roared the dragon, this time in alarm.
"Of course! Unless you want to stay chained here forever."
"There is nothing to improve upon! I am perfect!"
"I think not." Tanasril raised a hand, and the cavern wall to his left dissolved into mist. It revealed another chamber, equally vast, and filled with a single monolithic device. Yquellar stood next to the thing, smiling a satanic grin. "In you go," said Tanasril, gesturing to the machine.
"NOOOOO!!" howled the dragon, as more Eldrawves came to lift him onto a sliding platform. "Do not do this! You dare not do this!" The Eldrawves slid the platform, carrying the dragon, into the device. It muffled the dragon's cries. Until Yquellar began to work it.
Tanasril stepped out of the empty caver, pursued by the dragon's shrieks and bellows. He stepped into a still larger cavern illuminated by shifting fires of red and blue. This phantasmal light showed the terrified faces of hundreds of people, crowded there beneath clouds of billowing smoke. Tanasril searched among them, 'til he came upon a hard-looking man. His tattered leather tunic, onto wich a meda of a crossbow was attached, identified him as a Rogue.
"Your name?" demanded Tanasril.
"D-devit, sir," gulped the Rogue.
"How would you like to do a little spying job for me?"
"I-I'd l-love to, sir."
"Good."

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 3:03 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

Alhana rose with the sun the next morning. She dressed quickly, pulling on breeches and a tunic. She put on her sword belt, and went down to the palace gates. No one was up yet, save for the guards on duty. She was able to slip out, though she needn't have. No one ever questioned a queen; a princess, yes, but Alhana still had her old "habits". She headed for the warriors guild, wishing to practice. As she expected, no one was up there either, so she let herself in, and went straight to the training room. She picked out a wooden practice blade, then walked over to the row of wooden practice targets. She fell back into "guard" position. She was well into the warm ups when a noise stopped her. She turned, sword still in hand, ready to defend herself. To her surprise, she saw only a young man; no, not just any young man, it was the emperor! Alhana was so stunned in fact, that she could only stand there. Tarmyln coughed, and she remembered her maners. She bowed to him, which he returned.
"Excuse my asking Emperor, but, why are you here?" she asked.
The emperor smiled, and said, "No reason, really Highness. I saw you leave this morning, and thought I would like to see the town. My tour brought me here." he said smothly.
Alhana frowned, suspecting that this was not the reason he was here. She smiled though, and then turned to continue her attack on her target.
"I wonder," said the emperor. "Would you be willing to battle me? JUst for practice, of course."
Alhana stopped her attacks suddenly, and thought over the proposition. In the end, she agreed. She tossed him a wooden blade as well, taking a guard psition, this time facing the emperor.
Tarmyln stripped off his heavy robe, leaving him with breeches and tunic. He took a moment to warm up, then also faced her, smiling. Adrenaline pumped through Alhana's veins, anticipating the fight. Tarmyln was also smiling, but not entirley for the same reason. He too anticipated the fight, but only because he wanted to see if this new queen could provide a good ally.

------------------

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 4:57 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign II Reply with quote Back to top

The two circled each other, wooden swords flickering out to be met by the other's. Suddenly Tarmyln lunged, attempted to take Alhana by surprise. She dodged, and swung at the back of his head, but he had ducked. For hours they fought. They dropped back, to rest, then lunged to the attack once more. Tarmyln slipped, and Alhana slashed at his throat - to find the pint of his sword at her belly.
"A draw," said Tarmyln in satisfaction. He stood up. and glanced about. "It seems we have had an audience. Alhana too looked around, and slowly flushed. The four Warriors, Treven Silveredge foremost, stood in the doorway, leaning on their swords.
"We came to see what the racket was," Treven explained off-handedly. "Little did I expect to see two rulers trying to kill each other." The Warriors laughed, and Tarmyln laughed with them. Indignation and embarrassment fought inside her, indignation coming on top.
"Thank you, Treven," she said haughtily, "that will be enough. Don't you have a kingdom to guard?"
"Yes. Well, come on men, Her Majesty's told us to go." Treven and his Warriors turned and left. Tarmyln, who had replaced his robe, went over to the door.
"Come, Your Majesty," he said, "fighting on an empty stomach is tiring. We completely forgot breakfast. Oh, and after we eat, perhaps I could have a private audience with you?"
Her heart leaped. Perhaps now she would finally see what His Imperial Majesty wanted. "Of course, I would like some breakfast," she replied.

After they had broken their fast, Tarmyln and Alhana adjourned to her private study.
"Now," said Alhana, mustering as much strength of tone as she could, "why are you here, Tarmyln? I didn't think it was just for the scenery."
Tarmyln chuckled. "No, Your Majesty, you're right there." Abruptly his manner changed, and he leaned forward intently. "What do you know of the sea, Queen Alhana?"
"Not much," she replied, and frowned. Why would Tarmyln ask her about the sea? "No more than coastal ships have sailed from Ardanian ports ever since the disappearance of the last Champion of Dauros. Why do you ask?"
"Pirates have landed near Volencia." Alhana blinked, and Tarmyln sighed. "A pirate, Your Majesty, is a sea-raider. Some are employed by kings to harass rival shipping, others are wild. This one does not work for anyone but himself. And I believe he plans to conquer Ardania."
"That's impossible," retorted Alhana.
"Nevertheless, that is what he means to do."
"Why should that concern me? Why should it concern you?"
"Alhana, Volencia is threatened. If someone could bring an army to their rescue, that someone would be lauded throughout Ardania. It would bring recognition, and with it - power."
"Power?" she said coldly. "You mean to profit from this? Hundreds of poeple could be killed!"
"Hundreds will die, whether I become involved or not. I might as well gain some benefit from aiding the Volencians."
"And you expect me to help you?"
"Yes. Alhana, our countries have had a long-standing agreement, and what benefits one benefits the other."
I will think about it."
"Do so." Tarmyln rose, smiling. "Now I will return to D'Tar Mordin, to prepare my army. I expect to meet an army of your own when I return." He turned, and walked from the study.
Alhana stared after him, then ran in search of Alcarioth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: