Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Multi classing concept roll-out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Multi classing concept roll-out Reply with quote Back to top

This can serve as an idea for both the legend and the fan fiction we are writing. So I think this is the place for it.

After analyzing Fal’s ideas (instead of studying) I have figured out variety could be easily achieved in combination. I have developed the idea of multi-classing in that thread, however I would like to take it one step further.

I will break generalized class down to three types, race, class and archetype. Race is obvious, class is profession, and archetype is specialization within a profession. A creature may have multiple class and archetypes, but no creature can obtain races beside those he start with.

As a creature progresses, he could choose to advance in his class rank or archetype ranks, or pick up entirely new class and archetypes. This all depend buildings that are available. For example, if you pop a temple to Krolm next to a warrior’s guild, there is a big chance the warrior end up picking up Barbarian levels.

A hero’s appearance does not change during multi-classing; they might change appearance when they re-equip themselves (e.g. Age of mythology, NWN) but that should be discussed elsewhere. This way Cyberlore does not need to kill those making artwork and voice lines.

Multi classing gives creatures ability and spells of other classes, it also allow them to equip items that are only available to classes they multi-class to, but it does not change the creature’s growth attributes. This can make coding really simple.

The concept of multiple classes also increases monster variety, for example, a rat-man champion might take a few shaman levels, and dump a few nasty spells on the goody he is fighting. Vampire might pick up wizard levels, making them lethal opponent.

Finally, a creature that has picked a second or more classes might have their titles changed. A warrior with paladin levels might be re-titled to a templar, and so on.

Multiple class also add tremendous strategic depth, because your later decisions would now effect decision you have made earlier, so before building a temple, you have to also consider the effect of “mutation” on existing population. For example, if you have gnomes, then rogue’s guild might be a lot better idea then a temple of Krolm, as gnome barbarian tend to …

“I WASN’T TRYING TO HURT YOU, RAAAA”

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Why not race? If you invite the wrath of the gods and have teratogenitors in your kingdom, they could gene-splice your heroes into all sorts of delightful combinations.

Cooker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Change race Reply with quote Back to top

Because you have to change appearance then, and it's a bit too much work

Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you say so ... but I don't still don't see why a Warrior who knows Magic mIrror and Drain Life would liook exactly the same as one who knows Healing and Meditation.

XxaxX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

this is just an unnecissary evil

Cooker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Falotar Reply with quote Back to top

they would quite different as soon as they enter combat Wink

Alfryd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh, ooh, ooh- does a multiclassing hero have to spread experience gains between his/her levels in each class? Or does he assume the same level as his current class in any he/she adopts? Does he/she get corresponding spells for that level, or for extra levels from there on?
I need to sit down. This s@*t is deep.

Last edited by Alfryd on Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Spiderman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Depends if you follow 2nd or 3rd ed D&D rules Wink

Cooker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: experience Reply with quote Back to top

Multiclassing happens when a creature levels up. so he could either take a level in a exsiting class, or a level in a new class, providing it has enough experience for a level in that class. So yes, the hero have to spread his experience across all his classes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: