Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

The Sovereign IV: Savior
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So now the day had broken, and all those who dwelt in Ardania took up their lives again. Several pondered over the dreams they had had, with fear or anticipation. Dreams of a familiar yet changed voice, a strange form, and an unforgettable presence. Were the visions real? they wondered. Or were they merely dreams, brought on by memory, regret, fear and hope? The answer lay deep within the bowels of the earth, in the forgotten realm where, ages before, the gods had cast those creatures who did not fit their purposes with the still older creatures who had dwelt there since the World Birthing.
Forty years ago, another restless spirit had joined those doomed to this subterranean existence. Curse those Dragons and their masters! His body, turned to stone by divinely-powered Dragon magic, had been shattered by his own hand that his spirit might be free. Always meddling, always interfering! He had fled to the lost catacombs, miles beneath the sewers of Magicum. Robbing me of my vengeance! Depriving my creations of their Master! Now - But now - now he had formed himself a body from the creatures banished there long ago.
But now, with the unwitting help of these poor creatures, I shall return. For my sake, for the sakes of those banished here with me, and for the sakes of those I left behind, I shall return! I shall prove to the world the greatness of my Art! All shall revere the name of Tanasril! I shall have my revenge on the gods and their lackeys, and show them that their power is no match for my spirit! For I am Tanasril, and I am Reborn!

Last edited by Falotar on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Taking her leave of the Mordine prince, Ellaria followed the servant to the room she was to staying. As the boy left, El stared into the sleeping quarters. she recofnized it immediately, Laur had stayed her during his visits.
She didn't understand how she knew her brother's descriptions left much to be desired - but she felt it, in this bed when he stayed at Magicum.
Washing quickly, the numb feeling that had filled her torso began to fade, leaving a terrible tingling sensation. The drapes were already drawn. Ella crawled into the be, pulling blankets up over her head. Tears began to streak down her cheeks, and she sniffled before breaking down ans crying - bawling - into her pillow. She was alone, now; there was no need to appear withdrawn and sedate, here. She could cry as much as she wanted; she could appear weak, where no one could see her.
It was not long before she had fallen asleep, curled around herself in a tight ball.

And then she was truly and completely alone. She felt lost without Laurent near by. Gods, what would she do if he did...die? She'd loose something of herself. She sat on a barren floor, hunched over. Hugging her knees to her chest, the princess rocked back and forth, staring desolately ahead of her. "Somebody, help."
Then...she wasn't alone anymore. Someone was standing in front of her.
Lifting her head from her knees, Ellaria peered up at the figure. A young man - older than she - stood in front of her. He was vaguely handsome, she thought, almost...enticing. Standing, Ella took a step back, wary. "Who are you?"
"I might ask the same, but I think I've an idea." He smiled slightly. "Your are the youngest of the Magisray clan, uinless I am mistaken."
She nodded once, hesitantly. Her cheeks were still damp; she couldn't look weak in front of a total stranger. Especially one who knew her. "Yes," she said, slowly. "But you haven't told me your name."
He smiled again. "You don't have to be scared, Princess. You don't have to be alone; you don't have to be weak."
El stiffened. "I am
not weak." Her voice was low, and underlined with a strange energy. It was cold, and hot at the same time, dark. The man's smile widened.
"I see," he said, watching her hair swirl around her. She didn't seem to notice. The man bowed, sweeping an arm extravegantly. "We'll meet again, Princess, I'm certain."
Her head began to throb, and her knees felt weak, collapsing beneath her. "Who-?"
"Tanasril, I belive, is the name you are searching for."

And then she was awake, breathing hard, holding on to the covers so tight her knuckles were white. "Gods," she murmered. "He's supposed to be dead."

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment. - Raistlin Majere

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tarmyln stepped out of the teleportation spell, followed by Sir Juster and Tarmoran. He gazed about the town of Magicum, illuminated by the brightening Sun, and sighed.
"My father said once that Magicum was a great city, but every time I visit, it seems to slip further away."
"It is the Dragons," said Tarmoran. "Magicum was destroyed by them, and will not recover until they are gone."
"Is that so?" asked Tarmyln. "Sir Juster here might tell a different story. But, whatever began Magicum's downfall, King Tomass does seem to be able to reverse it."
"That is why we're here, is it not? To help him?"
"Him and his sister. I cannot help but think, brother, that Riven was the one meant to rule here, and not just because of her birth."
"Tanasril," said Juster. It was the first word he had spoken, and the intonation caused the two Mordines to stare at him. Juster ignored them, staring fixedly at the Palace. "He is here. I know it. I was a fool to have ever left."
"Yes ... " Tarmyln turned away from the Warrior, and saw a familiar black shape coming down the Palace steps. "Ah, Tarkiel!" he called. 'You got my letter?"
"Yes," he answered. He halted before them and bowed to each. "Welcome, Father, uncle, and ... can it be? Sir Juster?"
"Yes," replied Juster shortly, still gazing abstractedly at the Palace.
"Do not mind him," said Tarmyln. "He is somewhat preoccupied."
"Mmm. Do you want to go into the Palace now, or would you rather wait at the Embassy?"
"The Embassy," said Tarmyln decisively. "We have arrived in Magicum, so there is no longer any need for concealment. We shall take this oppurtunity to change into clothing more suited for our status, so that Tomass will not be embarrassed."

A pair of cold grey eyes watched as the four men walked towards the Embassy. They belonged to another of the ambassadors: Sister Azraella, emissary of Shovrah-Dan. A Priestess of Krypta, she was possessed an astute mind along with her rigorous discipline. King Sevelin had chosen her as the best agent he had to moniter Magicum, and she did not disappoint his high expectations.
Thus she watched until the men had passed into the building. Then she turned and walked over to the chest in the corner of her chamber. Removing the spell which held it shut, she removed a pen, and inkwell, and a sheet of special parchment. Called spirit vellum, it had particular properties which the Sisterhood had found very useful over the years. In particular was its ability to allow two persons with sympathetic sheets of spirit to communicate -- if they knew the means.
Sister Azraella drew a small bone knife from her sash, and gently pricked her wrist. She watched calmly as the blood dripped into the inkwell, until, satisfied, she tied a scarlet cloth around her and staunched the bleeding. Then she dipped the pen into the blood-filled inkwell, and began to write her report.
When she was finished, she breathed on the paper and whispered a prayer to Krypta. The writing shimmered, then sunk into the page.

In King Sevelin's study, a red glow began to emanate from one of the many papers scattered across his desk. At first blank, red letters began to appear on the spirit vellum, awaiting to be read before vanishing.
A servant, noticing the red light seeping beneath the study's locked door, sought out the King and informed him fearfully of the event. Sevelin rebuked his fear, and told him that he himself would deal with it. The King returned to his study, locking the door to the disappointment of the curious servants who wanted to witness a battle between their infamous king and whatever demon had violated his sanctum.
The King sat down and pulled as the report towards him. Even as he read the words, they flickered into scarlet smoke, and faded. Smiling, he laid the once again blank sheet of paper down.
"So, you think you have out-witted me, Tarmyln? We shall see. You may find it unwise to leave the Empire bereft of its ruler." He laughed as, too, drew a bone knife from his belt.

Back in the Magicum Embassy, Sister Azraella looked on impassively as four words formed on her vellum.
"Message received. Delay him."

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

King Sevelin stayed at his desk for some time, going over the reports from his Southern field commanders. Shovrah-Dan was nestled in (some might say, held prisoner by) the western peaks of the Hellfire Mountains. The lands to its south had been disputed. Semi-independent, they were claimed both by Shovrah-Dan and by the High King. Now, however, Sevelin had made his move, and the dispute was rapidly ending as town after town fell to his armies.
Nominally, Shovrah-Dan still served the High King, as did the other Great Cities of the South, but the Dans had always been independent and ambitious. Isolated from the South by a spur of the Mountains, Shovrah-Dan had always had much more in common with the North than the South, including the worship of Krypta and Fervus over Dauros and Agrela.
Thus it was that when Ildritch-Karanaqui, last of the elder Black Dragons and sole surviving Archon, came to him with an offer of alliance, he gladly accepted. Using the support given him by the Black Dragons, he had been able to set himself up as a rival to King Caryinal of Caer Sydrian, bullying the Grand Duke of Grov-Urtat into swearing fealty to him and, of course, claiming once and for all those rebellious fiefs to the south.
"Almost at the gates of Tholaria," he said to himself, tapping the report he had just finished. "Well, time to confer with Lord 'Naqui concerning our next move."

Shovrah-Dan was an ancient bastien of the Kryptan religion. The Sisterhood had become entrenched there soon after Makkat's crusade, and had remained over since. It was common knowledge that a series of catacombs ran beneath the city, built by the Sisterhood for their own unknown purposes, and then abandoned.
These two factors made it the perfect place for the Black Adytum. Masterminded by Ildritch, funded by King Sevelin, the Black Adytum was a vast complex built into the winding galleries of the catacombs. At its core was the Chamber of the Archons, a vast domed space filled with shadowy relics of dark magiks. The only light in the Chamber came from the red eyes of its sole living inhabitant. If Ildritch was alive; there were rumours to the contrary. He did not eat, he did not sleep, but it was possible that, in the long years spent in nameless locations beneath the earth, he had stored away enough energy that now he did not require these mundane things.
Now he lay on the floor, his vast bulk curving sinuously around the treasures of forgotten gods. His eyes were closed, but at a disturbance in the Ether Winds he opened them, to see the pale light of magic flickering upon the face of Sevelin Dan.
"Your Majesty," acknowledged the Dragon without stirring. His voice was deep, but hard and sharp. It did not ring in the hollow emptiness of the chamber, but pierced straight to the soul of whomever was unfortunate enough to have an audience with him. Sevelin, however, did not flinch. "What brings you here at this hour?"
"The hour is as irrelevant to me as it is to you," retorted Sevelin. His voice, by contrast, though deep for a human, was several tones higher than the Dragon's, and it held in it far more music than the archons iron intonation. "I am come to discuss with you the invasion of Gur Mechina."
"Are you ready to open hostilities between yourself and D'Tar Mordin?" asked Ildritch. "Skirmishes between Grov-Urtat and the Empire are one thing. An open war will be another. D'Tar Mordin will be forced to take action."
"Let them. The question is not whether I am ready, but whether you are. Do you think you can face the D'Tar Mordin army?"
Fire flickered deep within the Dragon's eyes. "That is a very foolish question," he said, softer than before. "Ever since my flight was slaughtered by those imperial whelps, I have been ready."
"Then you can have no objections. Unless we can secure Gur Mechina, then our lines of communication with the Grand Duchy will be strained. I trust you will not disappoint me." The Ether Winds flickered, and once again the fire of the Archon's eyes was the only illumination.

Falotar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Full morning came upon Magicum. The town awakened, as did King Tomass. The tired monarch had hardly finished eating when a servant announced Baron Drexel. The two had grown up together, and supported each other during the long years of rebuilding the kingdom. This morning, both felt that their work was in vain. Grief was heavy in the air as Drexel entered.
"Your Majesty," said the Baron, bowing anxiouxly. The King waved him silently to a chair. Drexel shook his head. "Thank you, sire, but I won't be long."
"What is your business?"
"I came to express my sorrow for the death fo your grandson. A runner came earlier this morning. A terrible loss."
"Yes." King Tomass gazed wearily into the concerned Baron's eyes. "Tell me, do you believe that there is any hope? Now that the saviour of Magicum is ... " He paused, suddenly remembering his conversation with the Prince's sister. Could what she have said be true?
Drexel misinterpreted the silence. "Sire, we must never give up hope. We must not abandon our dream of so many years. Even without Laurent, we must believe in the gods - "
"Believe in the gods ... " The words were faint, but distinct, and mocking. Drexel stared at the King, his mouth open.
"S-sire!" he stammered. "You cannot - "
"I did not," replied Tomass, frowning. "I did not say that."
"Then who - ? We both heard it, so I can't be imagining it."
"Perhaps it was just an echo," suggested Tomass, but his voice lacked conviction. "At any rate, I must tell you: there is a possibility that Laurent is not dead."
"What?" Drexel's heart leaped, the uncanny words forgotten. "What wonderful news! How - "
"The Prince's sister, Princess Ellaria. She seems to have some sort of second sight where her brother is concerned. A slender hope, but it's all we have."
"That is enough," said Drexel. 'Praise the gods! Now, if you will excuse, I shall go see your sister."
"Do not leave the Palace," said Tomass. "The Emperor of D'Tar Mordin is coming today, and I will be happy for your support."
"Today?" repeated Drexel, incredulous. "Why so early?'
"We shall find out."

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

With the rising og a new day, the brush in the Dryad's Forest parted, revealing a young man. His smocky, coal black hair spilling in curls over his forhead, falling into his eyes. They hung in shaggy curls to his jaw.
A bow was looped over his shoulder, quivor hanging across his back. Shaking his head, Magicum's Heir Apparent pulled a red hood over those smoky curls. Eyes aimed down - and yet looking all around him - Damian slunk - almost swaggered - through the partly destroyed town, heading for the palace.
Pulling his hood off as he approached, the young man nodded to the guards there. They let him pass without a word; everyone knew Prince Damian - for his excellent shot and eye - and, if for nothing else, his looks. Every girl in town mooned over the gorgeous prince.
Still in his hunting leathers, Damian headed for the dining hall, humming. The boy - man - would keep up a happy facade until his death. Of course, he needed to know what had happened to Magicum; it seemed almost as bad as the stories he'd heard about the the second war on Magicum. Damian had been gone the past three days; he'd planned to be home a day ago, for his nephew's arrival.
Making his way to where he knew his father would be, the prince shook his head. Did he really want to go see his father? The king would just tell him off for going, anyway, reprimand him for not being around during - well, whatever happened. Even though Damian knew Tomass would have only made him get out of the way; with no brothers, and his elder sister already married in Valmorgan, Tom couldn't risk anything happening to his son. The prince's mother was dead; if anything happened to him that would be the end of the Magisray line forever.
Leaning against the wall, Damian thought. Maybe he'd go see Laurent, appologize for not being there to greet him the day before. The prince smiled. Since they were young, he couldn't decide if he loved his nephew...or hated him. Laur was almost too perfect; genius in magic, sword play, anything...and he was a prophesized savior, for the gods' sakes! How was he supposed to compete? And if his nephew was meant to take his kingdom from him...
Damian resented his father, at times. Tomass was a good man, but as a king, he was lacking. His son saw this, and planned to rule better; Magicum would be his, of course. Unless Laurent really did take Magicum. Then he'd be up a creek without a paddle.
Well. He'd go say hi before dropping in on his father. Making his way to the room that had always been set aside for his nephew, Damian knocked. When he didn't get an answer right away, the prince grinned, opening the door.
And was met with a sight he did not expect to see. Looking into the room, he stared at you girl there. When had Laurent turned into a woman?
Her head juerked up, eyes wide. Ella blushed; she'd only just finished getting dressed! And, whoever this was - he was handsome.
"Uh - who are you?" His voice was deep and light at the same time. Masculine - and it matched his face perfectly.
"Ellaria," she said, quickly, fingers coming up to toy with the edge of her hair. "Princess Ellaria. And who are you? And why are you barging in on me?"
"Ellaria?" He tilted his head to the side, confused. Then, his face lit up, as if f inally recognizing her. "Oh! Laurent's sister, right? I remember - he always talks about you, first day he's here. I'm Damian; I guess you're my niece." Again, the head tilt. "But, where's Laur?"
Her face darkened. "If you're Magicum's prince, then I suggest you go as your father." She shook her head, eyes closed off. "How could you not know?" Her words came out as a whisper. Arms crossed over her stomach, she walked forward.
"What happened?" Damian ducked his head, having to lean down to look into the girl's eyes.
"He's..." No. Not dead. He couldn't be dead. "He fell, qand he's gone, and...we don't know where he is."
Damian stared. Then, without a word, he turned and left her, striding toward the dining hall with a renewed vigor. Pushing the door open so hard they slammed back on their hinges, the prince strode forwad. Seeing Drexel didn't stop him at all. "Father," he said, coming even with the older men. He had the courtesy to nod to Drexel. "Baron. What's happened to the kingdom? And where's Laurent?"

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment. - Raistlin Majere

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drexel cast a pleading look at Tomass. He really did not want to be caught up in what promised to be a family dispute.
Tomass nodded, and sighed. Much as he would have liked the Baron's help in dealing with Damian -- a smile flickered over his face; it made Damian sound six -- he knew the Baron's feelings. And it was more than staying out of an argument; Drexel had been attached to Riven ever since his mission failed and she had been transformed.
"Excuse me, Your Highness," said Drexel, bowing to Damian, "but I was just about to leave. You must ask your father about the -- the battle."
He turned and hurried away.
Several minutes later, he stood outside a large, ornate door. Slowly he raised his hand, and knocked.
"Your Highness? May I come in, Riven?"

"Any news, Quire?" asked Zarrial over his breakfast. The Prince's valet drew a letter from his tunic.
"A letter, Your Highness," he said, laying it alongside the Prince's plate. "From your father, King Caryinal."
"Will wonders never cease?" muttered the Prince sarcastically. It was rarely more than once a year that his father sent him an epistle. For all that the High King claimed to value relations with Magicum, Zarrial, sixth and last of his sons, felt he had been sent to this backwater just to get him out of the way. He indicated the letter with his fork. "Do you know what he's written about?"
"Your Highness?"
"Oh, come on, Quire. We both know that I know that you steam my letters open. What does it say?"
"If you say so, Your Highness." The valet cleared his throat. "I believe your father, the High King, intends to dispatch another ambassador here, to Magicum."
"What?" Zarrial set his fork down and gazed at his valet in disbelief. "On top of everything else, is he going to insult my abilities by having me replaced?"
"Not replaced, Your Highness, assisted. His Lordship, the Gold Archon Zaelin, seems to be of the opinion that Magicum is too delicate a task for one person to handle alone. Despite your talents, he feels that another, more experienced diplomat would be a great help in negotiations with His Majesty, King Tomass."
"Negotiations. Ha. What negotiations? I've done nothing but sit on my hands for the past three years, waiting for instructions. There have been no negotiations. No negotiations, no requests, no demands, not even any subterfuge."
"I think that may change, Your Highness."
"Oh? Why?"
"Lord Zaelin is sending his companion Gold Archon here, the Lady Berylluin. You should expect her within the week."
"Lady Berylluin? Why her? All I need ... " he trailed off, his mouth twisting in anger.
"I sympathize, Your Highness. Having a female Gold Dragon lodge with us will not be of the utmost convenience. Still, you cannot disobey your father's wishes - "
"Father's wishes my foot. It's that manipulative Archon behind this."
"Yes, Your Highness; the High King does seem to be listening rather overmuch to that Gold Dragon. However, whether it is the will of your father or Lord Zaelin, it has your father's seal."
"What does that gilded lizard want, anyway? Why send another person -- or Dragon -- to Magicum?"
"The letter does not state exactly, Your Highness. Lady Berylluin is to give you further information on her arrival."
"Oh, so now I get to take orders from a female. A female Gold Dragon. My life could not get any worse."
"Cheer up, Your Highness; remember your dream. There is still hope for the great enterprise. In the meantime, Lady Berylluin will expect a report. I suggest your attendance at the public audiences today. You may see some 'eye-openers', as the expression is."
"Thank you, Quire. I don't know what I would do without you."
"Indeed, Your Highness."

Last edited by Falotar on Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Your orders, Lord General?" Cloud had asked from his laid-back position on his pallet. Tarfulth looked at him affectionately. When he spoke, however, his voice had been hard.
"Go to Shovrah-Dan. You service thus far has been exemplary, Cloud Wolf, but skirmishes with Grov-Urtat are just the beginning. Now, the real war is about to commence."
"The war in the shadows," Cloud said. He picked his mithril claws up and began rubbing them gently together, creating a soft chiming sound. "What do I do in Shovrah-Dan?"
"We know that the Black Archon is hiding somewhere in Shovrah-Dan. He and King Sevelin have an understanding. You are to locate his lair and discover his plans. Use your amulet to communicate with Blood Fox. He will report to me."
"Is this just reconnaisance, or do you want some assassination done?"
"If you can get a clear shot at Sevelin or 'Naqui and then escape, take them down by all means. But don't throw your life away. We need your expertise, and Twilight ... well, she's too young to be a widow."
"Right."

Cloud breathed deeply of the mountain air. It was such a relief after those unwholesome tunnels. He leaned against a tree-trunk, shrouded in shadow and mist. He reached up, and clasped the nevryl-and-opal amulet around his throat.
-Blood?- His thought flashed across the miles, transmitted by the draconic magiks infused into the amulet.
-Gotcha,- flashed back the response. -What news?-
-I've found the Archon's lair. It's in an undead-infested labyrinth under the city. The complex where he and his minions live is called the Black Adytum.-
-It took you this long to find out? A Grov-Urtat spy we caught already told us that much.-
-Did he tell you the location of the Adytum? I doubt it. I know those tunnels backwards and forwards. I've also overheard the Archon and Sevelin talking. They plan to step up the war.-
-You overheard their conversation? Pretty slick, Cloud.-
-Whatever. Tell the Lord General I need more Hunters. The Adytum is literally crawling with undead, and although 'Naqui is so over-confident that I could walk right up and stick him, I'd never escape alive. I need someone to watch my escape route.-
-I'll talk to the Lord General, but I doubt there's much he can do. You know how stretched we are for man-power ... wait, here's Lord Tarfulth now.-
Cloud waited while Blood conversed with the Lord General. Then the other Hunter's thoughts came to him. -Sorry. You're being recalled.-
-What? Recalled! But I'm so close --
-Cloud, the Emperor's in Magicum. If Sevelin and the Grand Duke launch a joint attack now, they'd catch us without our leader. You have to be here to help support Lord Tarfulth.-
-Tarfulth can support himself. The Hunters are a secret organization. What does he expect me to do, lead the WoDs' charge?-
-Now, Cloud --
But Cloud cut off the connection. The mists swirled thicker around him. If he couldn't have support, he would just see what he could do on his own. He most definitely was not going back to the Empire just so that he could get involved in another mundane battle. He was a special agent, as good as the best Assassin in Ardania. He was going to do it his way, and if that involved ignoring orders, so be it.

Last edited by Falotar on Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Riven had slept, waiting for dreams that would not come. Upon waking, the equine creature shook herself. Laying her cheek upon her forelegs once more, she closed her eyes briefly, sighing heavily. She seemed very prone to to sighs lately. It was times like this that she wished her parents had graced her with a sibling. Tomass was dear to her, and she'd watch over her cousin as long as he lived. But he was not her brother, and he was a king.
Looking up at the knock, Riven closed her eyes a moment, listening to Drexel's voice. And the Baron, whom she could have loved - perhaps still did - was not able to visit as often as she would like. Though it was as easy - or easier - for her to visit him, Riven disliked leaving the palace. Her great abilites made the people love her; but the knowledge of how she became what she was still unnerved - frightened - by her appearence. And she didn't want to upset the Silveredge household.
Her eyes were sad. Fighting to control her eye color, the princess was loosing horrible. Shaking her head, Riven's horn glowed a soft blue. The air currents rippled around her, invisible hands turning the handle, opening the door.
"Of course," she said, rising to greet the Baron. "What rbings you here, Drexel?"
Her power over the wind currents smoothed any out of place hair. She wanted to stride forward and lay her head over his shoulder. she wanted to be comforted but...
Riven stood still, bowing her head to the baron. Gods - she could not win! In this body, she could form no real relationships. But while her fondest dream was being human once more, it was also the most terrifying things that could come to her, so she thought. As a human, she'd be normal again. She would have her skin, and her hair back - she'd have thumbs - but she would be powerless. How would it feel to be without that familiar weight of a horn on her forehead? Without the bright green mane and tail?
...Se had loved flying. How would life be, without those big, feathered wings at her back? And, most importantly - how could she go back to life without her magic, unable to manipulate the growth of plants, of the pattern of weather? Her dream from the night before had shown of defenseless she would feel.
Shuddering, Riven tried shaking her head to hide it. She smiled weakly at Drexel, the motion looking strange on her equine face. "You keep getting older, Drex, everytime I see you. And I don't feel like I've aged at all." She shook her head. "You'd think it would be nice, but I think I hate it."

Tomass sighed, resting his head on on his hand. "There was a raid, my boy. Of course, we wanted to get Laurent to safety - Riven took him, and they would have been gone, but - you know your cousin can be foolhardy, if it comes to his abilities. He is too full of himself, and - He fell from my cousin, into the raiders. He must have fallen twenty feet, Damian. Nobody thought he was alive." He paused, staring at the floot below his feet. "But, Laurent's sister arrived this morning. She does not believe he's dead. There is...little hope, my son, but...Well, they are twins. Perhaps she knows what we cannot."
Damian was silent for a moment. Then, he nodded. "Alright. I'll search for him, then." Abruptly - as he so often was - he turned to leave. Tomass called after him, but the young Prince ignored his father. He needed to ready himself before leaving. And perhaps the cousin he did not know so well would wish to come.

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Yes." It was not the most profound answer, but Drexel could think of nothing more as he stared at Riven. How must she feel? She was so different from everyone around her, and as the years brought no change to her, that difference became still more defined. He closed his eyes. How would she survive, when all the people she knew were dead? If her extended lifespan carried her through three, four, maybe five generations of her House, while she remained trapped and alone? If only he could stay with her ... but that was not why he came.
"I'm sorry ... no, I'm devastated by the news of Laurent's loss," he said, stepping forward. "It must be hard, especially for you. I heard he was ... riding you when the disaster occurred."
"Surely you don't think I was responsible?" Drexel looked so horrified that Riven was forced to laugh. "Of course not." She sighed again. "I know you would never think such a thing of me. I sometimes wonder why you're so loyal. You never doubt me, even though I once served our enemy."
"You're the Princess still, Riven. Nothing could ever shake my loyalty to you ... or my trust. If only there were some way for you to rule. If the people would accept ... " He trailed off, and Riven shook her head.
"That can never be. I could never ask that of the people. We've had this conversation before, you know."
"Of course, but still ... well. You know," he said, suddenly desperate to change the subject, "there is a chance Laurent is still alive?"
"Really?" Her eyes sparkled, from control to joy. "Why do you think so?"
"His sister is here. She says she felt his pain -- and that she doesn't think he died."
"She felt his pain ... " Riven now closed her own eyes. When she opened them, they were slowly fading from dead black, the colour of pain. Drexel gasped, and stepped to her side.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing ... but I understand."
"You ... oh." Of course. She was a teratogenic; she had shared a psychic bond with Tanasril. Tanasril ... he flinched.
"Now I get to say it," she said, shaking her head at him. "What's wrong?"
"I ... had a dream, Riven. I'm afraid Tanasril is still alive, somehow. Just like Uncle Juster claims. Silly, isn't it?" He tried to smile, but his effort crumbled as, like an echo, a voice seemed to rise from the ground.
"Is it?"
The two looked at each other.

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Riven's eyes were large and rounded. Her head moved slowly, from the Baron, to peer at the floor. "No," she whispered. "Not so silly." Her head turned to Drexel once more. "I've been having dreams, too," she said softly. "I think my old -" she paused, her jaw clenching tightly. No, those were not the words she wanted. "Our old enemy has returned." She looked at the floor again, as if worried something - someone - would flought right up, into her room. Fleck of yellow began to brighten in her eyes. "I'm scared, Drexel," she whispered to her friend. What if Tanasril did truly come back? What would she do? Gods! It was as if...as if a part of her was still held tightly in the teretogenic's hand. But she didn't want to be a servant again. At least, that's what she thought.

In his own suite, Damian polished his knives; mythril daggers that his father had had made from him. Sheathing them, one at each hip, the prince pulled his longbow off the wall. Quivor strapped across his back, he placed the unstrung bow in the quivor as well, the string wrapped in oil paper. Leaving his room, he hesitated outside his door for a moment, before turning left. He'd visit his equine cousin, first; Ellaria deserved her time to grieve, and decide what she would do with herself. Taking the steps to Riven's room two at a time, he knocked on her door. "Princess? Riven." Without waiting to be invited - Damian was a straightforward young man, after all - gw opened the door, greeted by the sight of Drexel and Riven looking quite unhappy. If not downright scared. He smiled. "We seem to keep running into eachother, Baron." Nodding, Damian turned to his second cousin. "I'm going to search for Laurent," he said, matter-of-factly. "Will you come with me?" He turned again to the Baron. "You are welcome to join as well, Lord Drexel."

Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Sorry, Your Highness," said Drexel, shaking his head. "Your Father requested to have me stay in the Palace. The Emperor of D'Tar Mordin is coming today, and he wants to have me on hand. Speaking of which, what is the time? I must be there when Tomass opens the court."

"It's nearly time," remarked Tarmyln. He and his brother had dressed in the robes Tarkiel provided for them. Now they looked truly like the scions of the greatest House of the North.
"Shall we go?" asked Tarkiel.
"Not you, my son," said Tarmyln. He smiled. "At least, not officially. I want you to be on hand should anything ... go wrong. Too much is at stake, and we do not need a repeat performance of the first meeting between Mordine and Magisray."
"What about Twilight? She can surely take my place. Would it not look odd if I were not present with you?"
"He has a point, brother." Tarmoran rubbed his chin. "Where is the Vixen?"
"Here, my lords." The two elder Mordines started as Twilight emerged from the shadows of the room. She was garbed in a suit of black leather, and her darkened steel claws were obvious on her hands. "I am more than willing to assist."
"Good. Tarkiel, then, may accompany us."

At the door of the Embassy, Zarrial stared thoughtfully at the Palace. Attending court sessions was not his favourite pastime, but it beat sitting idle. He shivered suddenly as a chill presence moved up behind him.
"Prince Zarrial," said the dead voice of Sister Azraella. "Why do you block the exit? Is it your wish to impede my duties?"
"Oh, shut up, Priestess," he said. "I was just going."
"As was I." The two stepped out of the Embassy. They walked out, Azraella closely following the Prince and drawing abreast of him once out of the door. Zarrial picked up his pace, not wanting the company of the Shovrah-Dan ambassador. Azraella, however, seemed to be able to keep pace without moving any faster. Finally, unable to be rid of her, he decided to put her presence to good use.
"What brings you to the Palace?" he asked. "It's just going to be a routine day."
"I make it a point of principle to attend every court session, unlike others less dedicated to their duties."
Zarrial ignored the taunt. "Every court session? Ha. No wonder you spend so much time riding. Listening to all the petitions must really make you tense."
"A true minister is never tired by her calling," was the cold reply. "It is only amateurs who require escape from their duties."
"A minister? Here I thought you were a diplomat."
"They are essentially the same. I need not explain further, since you yourself are a diplomat. It must be excellent preparation for the day when you ascend the throne."
"I'm not ascending the throne!" snapped Zarrial. "I have five older brothers! Hardly what you'd call the heir."
Azraella's face did not change by a muscle. "Forgive me. I had forgotten that not all Princes are Crown Princes. Perhaps that is why you attend court, out of boredom?"
"Yeah, that's it." Mad as he was, he was hardly going to let this witch get to him. "Bored as a brick. Anyway, we're here."

"It seems we shall have company." Tarkiel pointed at the Prince and the Priestess as they ascended the Palace steps.
"Prince Zarrial Sydrian." Tarmyln nodded. "But who is the other?"
"Sister Azraella, emissary of King Sevelin."
"Sevelin." Tarmoran scowled. "So he uses a Priestess for his ambassabor. If she is not a Black Dragon in disguise."
"She seems perfectly human," Tarkiel said. "If anyone can call those cold-blooded women human."
"Now, now," said Tarmyln smiling. "That's no way for a worshipper of the Goddess to speak." As he said this, they too set foot on the steps.

Last edited by Falotar on Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lifting his eyebrows, Damian blinked. "The Emperor?" He asked. Tomass hadn't told him anything about the Emperor. Of course, he hadn't given his father the moment to get a word in. Glancing out the window, Damian shrugged. "Early, yet. But, if the Emperor is arriving today..." He frowned. This is why people made plans in advance, wasn't it? The Crown Prince sighed. "I'll have to come with you." It seemed, sometimes, that Damian was incapable of making up his mind. This was not true - he was just incapable of planning well.
Riven coughed quietly, taking a step forward to peer down at her almost-nephew. (It was usually easier to use those terms; there were so many cousins in the Magisray line, that it simplified things to be Damian's aunt.) "I must make an appearence, too," she said. She glanced at Drexel for a quick, fleeting moment; her eyes were blue, dark with a sadness she had never spoken aloud. Her head turned, and she started out of her room, passing Both Baron and Prince. She was down the hall and around the corner before either man moved.
Damian turned to grin at Drexel. "She likes you," he said, nudging the older man with his elbow. No one in the palace had said a word, though it seemed quite obvious. Then again, Damian was also known to be tactless. Though, it was not just a lack of tact that led him to make such a statement. He had known for quite a while of the almost-romance between his aunt and the Baron; and he did not see why it was only almost. She was a tertogenic - so what? Didn't make much difference in his mind.
Snorting, Magicum's Prince reach for the door knob, waiting for the Baron to exit before closing the door to his aunt's room. "Well. My father will be waiting."

Why did it always seem that women took so much longer to get ready?
Hurrying into courtly clothes, Rhysallie glanced at herself in the mirror. Pulling on a pretty, dark blue robe, Rhys ran a hand through her hair. The golden curls settled back around her face. Standing a bit straighter, she took one last look in the mirror. She was ravishing...as usual. Gorgeous blue eyes decorated a fine, high cheekboned face. Long lashes framed her the eyes that matched her robe so well. Short but well built, Rhysallie hardly looked an envoy. Hearing voices pass her room in the embassy, she strode out. Finding Prince Zarrial and Priestess Azraella nearing the palace, Rhys cursed herself. Late...she hated being late. That meant missing the layout of the pattern. Missing part of the big picture; missing the beginning. For a short woman, she took as long a stride as she could. Catching up to those on the steps, she smiled and nodded to them. "Afternoon," she said. Straightening and smoothing her clothes from her quick stride from the Embassy, she for the Emperor and Princes to enter ahead of her.

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Good morning," said Tarkiel. "Father, you know Lady Rhysallie, emissary from Tholaria?"
"I do not believe I've had the pleasure," said Tarmyln.
"Very nice, brother," snapped Tarmoran, "but if we do not hurry, then the court will open without us."
"Patience, brother. We'll be ther soon enough."

Juster prowled through the courtyard of the Palace, staring intensely at the paving-stones. He could feel the hated presence, ambient in the air around him, but he could not pinpoint it. He was only distracted from his elusive quarry when somebody ran into him.
"Oh, I'm sorry -- Uncle Juster! Is that you?"
The old Warrior looked up to meet the concerned gaze of Baron Drexel. As his concentration was broken, he felt another presence. One he had not felt for many years, and which wounded him with remorse.
"Nephew. Princess." He bowed to Riven. "It has been a long time."
"Juster?" said a different voice. "Juster Silveredge?"
"Yes," snapped Juster. He glared at the stranger. "And who are you?"
"Damian Magisray, Crown Prince of Magicum. I'm surprised; I thought you would know me."
"The last time I saw you, you were a child. And I have no time for princes, even if they are of House magisray." Juster's eyes turned back to Riven. "Your Highness, I have something I wish to speak to you about."
"Later," she said. "I must attend court first."
"I will come with you. I wish to examine the throne room."

Raistlin Archmagus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rhysallie bobbed a curtsey to Tarkiel and his family, a smile decorating her lips. "Pleased to meet you, Your Imperial Highness," she said, nodding to Tarmyln. "But I must agree with Lord Tarmoran." Tarkiel's father was the emperor, and this could only be the Emperor's middle brother. She headed inside. "We will certainly be late."

Damian snorted at the Silveredge. Well, if he was being like that - the younger man nodded to the one-time neowolf, and turned on his heel to enter the new throne room. Coming up beside his father, Damian stood to Tomass's left, hands hooked behind his back. A gold circlet sat atop his smokey, coal curls.
The king shook his head slightly, a soft smile on his lips. His boy was a fickle one. He wondered at times how the boy's nursemaids had affected him.

Riven cocked her head at the elder Silveredge, curiosity overridding the forlorn feeling she'd held in her belly. "The old throne room?" She asked, assuming that as the answer. The old the throne, the twisted, melted one that served as a reminder of what had nearly happened to Magicum - it resided in the old throne room. A new one have been made - ironicly, to wipe the fear of the past from the minds of her family.
Glancing over her shoulder as Damian left, the teretogenic shook her head. "Later," she repeated. "I need to arrvive before the Mordine family does."
Entering the throne room from the back, she came to stand at Tomass's right, nudging her cousin with her horn. Tom turned, and nodded to her. Barely a moment before Riven took her place, the doors opened, and an herald bowed to the king. "Your Majesty," he murmered, stepping aside. "May I present the Emperor Tamyln, and Princes Tarmoran and Tarkiel?" Behind the royals, the rest of the embassy flowed in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: