Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Heffner Rex?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see direct sovereign-hero interaction, given what Cyberlore has demonstrated possible?
Ah, why not. My heroes are always getting into dumb situations where they could use my guidance.
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
Never, my heroes are as free as the birds of the sky and I want 'em that way. Control freak.
70%
 70%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 30

Alfryd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Heffner Rex? Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I do find very encouraging about Cyberlore's work on P:TM is that (apart from what it will hopefully add to the war chest,) is that Heffner's interactions with underlings and celebs is very similar to the kind of influence I was hoping the Sovereign would have in future versions of Majesty. You know, that you can, in person, walk up to a hero and make a request, which they may or may not feel inclined to perform depending on their personality and how well you've buttered them up, (though I doubt anything so explicit would be on the menu as what Hugh gets up to to.) Intriguing, methinks...

Any thoughts? Does the prospect fill you with excitement or a deep-seated loathing and revulsion? Your comments here.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds interesting. As long as it's suggestions (sounds like either in addition or in place of the various flags) and not direct-control.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heaven forbid.

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea and hope it is in the next game. It's not like I'm a control freak or anything, I just get really mad when my heroes either A) Aimlessly walk the street/never do anything even while the city is under attack, or B) They walk right into the enemy, so they are alone and get crushed(I especially hate when it it one of my top level heroes that do this). So, that is why I think it is a good idea.

Gandalf:Here at last, on the shores of the sea comes the end of our Fellowship.

Cooker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: neverplayed mansion ... Reply with quote Back to top

so i have no idea what kind of interaction we are talking about here, please explain it a little, if you are so kind, please ?

Alfryd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it was reasonably clear from the first post. To clarify, I was imagining a sovereign character that you directly control, walking around and conversing with nearby heroes, and making requests of them that they might or might not fulfill depending on their loyalty to you, whether this action is in character, and what kind of rewards you offer. A healer, say, will gladly tend to the wounded, but would never attack a peasant however much you plead.

Cooker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: that sounds great Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, that seemed to be consistent with my sovereign character suggestion. Why not, it sounds great.

wavefront

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you suggesting that the game recognize the actual language of complex orders like... "Go to the forest and wait until you find a goblin then kill it and come back to me.", or are you suggesting that a list of simple commands are available?
Apart from being able to see the ruler character during game, the latter idea isn't much different than Majesty.

Gaspod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If the character of the King is walking around in game would it be possible for him to be killed while saying to a warrior "It would please me if you would kill this ratmen."

It would be nice if the ruler character would be able to give direct commands to the palace staff so you could say to a tax collecter "Stay in the guard tower until the danger is gone." and they would have to obey.

M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gaspod wrote:
It would be nice if the ruler character would be able to give direct commands to the palace staff so you could say to a tax collecter "Stay in the guard tower until the danger is gone." and they would have to obey.

Yes. Henchmen should be completely obedient.

Cooker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: na... Reply with quote Back to top

na , the henchies don't even get paid ...

M

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: na... Reply with quote Back to top

Cooker wrote:
na , the henchies don't even get paid ...

Like I said. They're so obdient they don't ask for pay.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While I have the utmost confidence in Cyberlore's programmers' abilities, I don't go so far as to expect heroes to pass the Turing Test. A list of simple commands (equivalent to what the hero is capable of doing him/herself anyway,) maybe dressed up with some conversational text, would be fine by me. Say:
"Valiant Paladin! Your blade would serve your honour better there!"
You click on the text, then click on a portion of the ground, and if the paladin feels like it, they'll walk over and see what the trouble is. 'Course, if you lead them on a wild goose chase, their loyalty will erode and they'll start ignoring you. Conversely, if they benefit from the experience, their loyalty will rise.
"Holy Warrior, a bestial creatures threatens the peace. Unsheath thy brand."
Then click on a monster. And so forth. The interaction could be as detailed as the decisions the hero could make at any given moment.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that does bother me about the ide, though, is whether or not the sovereign would be able to order construction/upgrades/research or use sovereign spells while he/she's walking around. I think for the sake of balance you'd need to disallow that, so that direct hero influence was something you'd use only in emergencies or in the later game when your settlement is well established.

Oasis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You mean like directly hire a hero? Pick out one to do a task, or ask them to report somewhere...a type of orders tab maybe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: