Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

The Ruin
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonWizard012

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: The Ruin Reply with quote Back to top

Taron Farsight walked through the woods, an arrow ready to be fired at the smallest sound. He was pale from lack of sunlight since it was too dangerous to leave his shelter during the day and was extremely skinny, looking as though he hadn't eaten in days. He had a tattered a dark green cloak which looked as though he hadn't taken it off for years. A small sword was in a sheath on the left of his belt. A quiver of crude arrows was on the right.

He blinked his eyes from lack of sleep but continued to stay awake. Crack. He turned around and fired an arrow into the night, just missing a varg. The wolf like being was extremly skinny and foam was coming out of its mouth. It growled. Taron fumbled for another arrow and fired it into the vargs leg. He walked towards it and puled out his sword and slit it's throat. Taron smiled, picked up the carcess and dragged it towards a nearby cave.

Last edited by DragonWizard012 on Tue May 18, 2004 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kentarra Drusael stood on top of the hill, enjoying the head as it blew back his hair and the ribbon tied around his head. It wasn't too often he could enjoy a luxury like this wind; standing in full sight wasn't advisable in a land infested with Goblin patrols. But there was only one patrol in this area, and a small one. Kentarra had been tracking them, but he'd decided to give them and himself a little break. Breaks, too, came all too rarely, especially in the five years since he had decimated General Yrgia's army. The vengeful Overlord had been scouring northern (or rather, central -- the Northern Reaches just didn't seem like part of the kingdom) Ardania ever since, and only recently had the vendetta been halted when the Goblin King lost interest in the General's pursuits.
Of course, that didn't mean that the feud was ever. Kentarra had his own reasons for hunting down the Rednail Tribe. But they could wait. For now, he was happy to be alive, knowing that a horde of blood-thirsty Goblin fanatics has on his scent. No, not a horde, just a halfscore bunch of numbskulls -
"There 'e is!" cried a gravelly voice in what its owner probably thought was a whisper. Kentarra sighed and turned. Four Goblin archers had arrows nocked, but none were well-aimed. A fifth arrowtip poked out of a bush; at least one Goblin ahad the sense to use camouflage.
"Now!" cried the voice. "Fire!" Kentarra swayed as a single arrow whined past his shoulder; the other four thudded into the ground a few feet to either side of him.
"Grum-Gog take it!" screeched the voice. "Attack, you gibbering Trollspawn! Kill the 'uman!" All the Goblins broke cover. Kentarra slid back, setting a hand on his scimitar hilt. Long, and not overly curved, the blade was a marvel of fine Dwarven craftmanship -- back from the tme there were Dwarves. Maybe there still were Dwarves, but it was doubtful they had the time to forge swords.
"And here I was going to let you live a day longer," he said as the green-skins clumsily charged up the slope. "Well, if you're so eager to die - " The first Goblin was in range; Kentarra stepped forward, sweeping out his sword at the same time. He dodged the spray of blood, and slashed open another Goblin's side. Howling the rest fell into a mass, and attempted to swamr over him. He wouldn't let that happen. He dodged around the confusion, sticking his sword in to skewer their leader. Then, as they turned, he kicked out, crushing another's skull with his foot. Still another suddenly grew feathers from his heart; apparently the marksman had taken a chance shot and missed.
Kentarra threw himself backward, down the hill. He came up even with the concealed archer, and knocked the horn bow from his hornier hands. The archer reached for a knife, but Kentarra's hand found his face first. Cursing, the Goblin stumbled out of the bush, impaling himself on Kentarra's waiting scimitar.
The Warrior then spun to face the others, his blade whispering invitingly as it cut the air. The remaining Goblins declined the invitation, however; opting instead to flee screaming over the hill.
Kentarra threw back his head, and laughed. But, though victory was stil sweet, he knew his holiday was over. In these times, you couldn't afford letting a Goblin go. You either avoided their patrols, or wiped them out; otherwise, you wouldn't be able to move for all the greenskins around. Sighing once more, Kentarra set off to chase them down.

DragonWizard012

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After living in a forest for seven years, the sound of a falcon flapping its wings is enough to alert anyone. Taron kept a raven in a small cage if anything approached it would flap its wings and try to escape, thus waking him. Today was a suprisingly quiet day. There were no patrols or any animals wandering the forests. Taron slept in a small crevice above the entrence of the cave. He was still inside the cave so light could not get in yet if a person came into the cave they would not be able to see him.

Taron was sleeping off a big meal when the raven began to flap its wings. He woke entirely startled and stumbled out of the crevice cutting his arm on a stalagtite. He stiffeled a scream. He could hear what the raven was trying to get away from. A small patrol of two, maybe three, goblins. He opened the raven's cage, not wanting to let it be the goblin's next meal. There was something different about these footsteps. They were not trying to be stealthy, as though goblins could. They were running.

Taron grabbed his sheath which was lying at the entrance to the cave, and withddrew the sword, throwing the sheath aside. The foot steps grew louder and the panicked yelps of the goblins became more audible. Taron hid behind the entrance to the cave. The first goblin past. He stepped out into the sunlight and held his sword out right at necks length of the average goblin. The second goblin ran into him, and missed the sword entirely. Sleepiness distorts humans senses and this could cost him his life if a overlord was nearby. The goblin stumbled to get up. Taron, beating him to it shoved the sword into the goblin's head.

The third goblin past followed by a tall human. The human ran past the goblin, decapitating his head with a scimitar, never decreasing speed, and ran past Taron, apparently not seeing him at all. Another human was rare, and if the human was a friend was rarer. Taron began to run after the last goblin, a smile spread across his face.

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kentarra glimpsed the other human out of the corner of his eye. A rare sight, and not necessarily a good one. The last friendly man he had met was five years ago, and he had been dead. In this world, it was every man for himself.
Ahead of him, the Goblin crashed blindly through the undergrowth. Kentarra relaxed a little, choosing an easier route. The Goblin, too, son relaxed its pace, thinking that Kentarra had given up the pursuit. Then came a horrible gurgle, momentarily cut short. Kentarra dashed forward, and found that the other human had stabbed the creature in the back, then slit his throat to shut him up.
Kentarra deliberatedly cleaned his sword, then sheathed it. He held up his hands. "Peace," he said warily, studying the other. He was ragged, in somewhat worse condition than Kentarra -- despite everything, Kentarra prided himself on his appearance and took great pains with every oppurtunity he had to spruce up. Since these weren't often, he had to admit that he probably could look better.
The other man -- it was a young man, although his age was hard to tell, everyone being older in appearance than years -- lowered his sword, although he did not sheathe it. "What's your name?"
"Kentarra Drusael," he replied, smiling. "I'm a Goblin-hunter, for pleasure and necessity. But anyway, what's your name?"
The other man was silent for some time. Apparently he was a bit more suspicious, in correspondence to his living more dangerously. This forest was on the outskirts of a major Goblin outpost; Kentarra could understand his hesitation. After all, the greenskins were known to employ human agents to rout out resistance fighters. Sacrificing a few of their own to make the spy more convincing meant nothing to them. But at last the man answered.

Zonk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drovin, son of Thorin was the master of a small Dwarven Settlement in the Hellfire mountains. Thorin was the son of Drovin, a key hero in Ardania's involvement in the Valley of the Serpents. He had pushed the current soveriegn to deny the Elves' plea for aid from the Greater Gorgons, but after the Royal-ordered slaughter of innocent Elves in a newly aquired city, the current King was forced to support the Elves to improve his standings with the Elven community. But Drovin felt compelled to fight for his kingdom, so he joined the force to drive the Gorgons from the relm.

But tragedy soon struck. While in battle with an Ice Dragon, he was working with an Elf that was giving him fire support against the invaders. But the Elf fled at the first sight of the beast, and after a fierce fight, Thorin fell serving Ardania. This was the root of Drovin's hate for the Elven race.

But he had a keen mind, and used new events to his advantage. When the Goblins invaded Ardania, he saw it as an opportunity. He saw it as the end of Man's reign over the land, and the title of dominant race was up for grabs. He had formulated a plan to raise an army of Dwarves and march them south through the forests, the grasslands, and ultimately to Valmorgen to reclaim the Great City. While marching, he would find the remaining men that formerly served the king, who would aid in the war. When he went through the forests, he planned on finding all remaining Elven settlements and take control, burning all bungalows to the ground.

But he knew Dwarves alone could not win this war. He needed some type of backup troops to fire from behind the front lines. He had 5 choices: Elves, Rouges, Rangers, Priestesses, and Wizards. Obviously, Elves were out of the question. Rouges had a long history of aiding the elves, and were weak and liable to switch sides quickly. Priestesses would create a perception that Thorin favored a certain religion, and may cause other heroes to turn against them. But Rangers knew much of the woods, a weak point in the Dwarven knowledge. So scouts were sent to find Rangers, and if they were not available, then Wizards.

Drovin stood upon the top of a Ballista tower, looking out to the South, surveying the mountains. He saw a small pack of Goblins moving East. He knew that if any of them found the small settlement, they would have to be eliminated quickly and efficiently, or they would certainly report it to the Goblin King. He hoped this would not need to happen soon.

Last edited by Zonk on Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

DragonWizard012

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"I'm Taron. You'll learn my last name if you earn it."
Kentarra frowned slightly.
"I'm sorry," Taron said. "I don't mean to be rude. I'm not as quick to trust these days."
"That's quite all right. I'm glad to have met a person who doesn't kill anything that moves."
Taron chuckled. This wasn't a good sign. He was allowing himself to trust. But he could not see how this man would be the enemy. He seemed too noble to be a spy. Taron let out sigh.

"Would you like to have dinner. I caught a varg earlier. Not the best meat in the world but better than goblin meat."
"I happen to like goblin meat!"
Taron eyed him suspiciously. Kentarra, whose face was rigid, relaxed in a smile. Taron laughed again.
"Farsight. My last name is Farsight."
"Well that was fast," Kentarra said with a laugh. "I'm glad to meet you." He held his hand out. Taron hesitated at first then took it.

Zonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The next morning for Drovin was a busy one. There was still no word from the scouts sent to find Wizards and Rangers, but he was optimistic and hopeful. No goblins had found the settlement for two years, but the scout party he had seen yesterday had made him a bit uneasy. Though after a good night's sleep, he was refreshed and the uneasiness had subsided.

He walked through the settlement, feeling the cool spring air. It was a beautiful day, a day that only comes a few times a year in this dark area of the Hellfires. He saw a large blacksmith. Here, Dwarven swords of immense value were being made. He had instructed many dwarves to work on these swords for the purpose of distributing to humans found along the way to Valmorgen. Dwarves didn't use these because they were strong, but not agile, making them much better fit for large, heavy weapons such as hammers and axes that could be slammed down upon the heads of their opponents. The main reason for the forging was to keep the other Dwarves occupied. He couldn't afford to have them scouring the hills for gold, silver and other precious metals, making a racket to attract any scouts nearby.

He also saw their herd of sheep. These sheep were used to feed the small settlement. They were tended by a lone sheepherder. There was also a small garden that provided the only vegatables they could manage to grow on the mountains.

Drovin felt in his heart that it would be very fulfilling to sit atop a Ballista Tower and look upon these mountains, so he went towards their watchtower. He climbed the many stairs, a chore that usually made him tired and aggrivated, but today little could dampen his spirits.

"Any signs of goblins?" Drovin asked the head of the ballista squad, not really meaning the question, just asking for the sake of routine.

"No, sir. None have been spotted since the scout troop yesterday, and about that troop-"

"No need to worry, officer. I thought it over last night, and they definately did not catch sight of us."

"But sir, I am not sure if you understand-"

"I understand quite well, and I told you that we are completely safe. Now why would you persist to be such a bother on as beautiful a day as this?" Upon these words, Drovin turned to the open space in the tower were the ballista would fire from. He looked upon the Hellfire mountains, they went on for miles and miles. He breathed in the fresh morning air to smell spring, beautiful spring.

But that is not what he smelled.

There was a foul stench in the air, clouding out the sense of spring. Drovin looked out the window again to see a dark cloud in the distance, that seemed to be coming closer. As they neared, a persistant buzzing noise started faint, then became louder and louder and louder.

"What in Ardania are locusts doing so far into the Hellfires?"

The locusts descended upon the settlement, eating away at the garden. They pestered the Dwarves, a few even had small pieces of their skin torn away. Drovin turned to see the herd of sheep, but the locusts even ate these. It was then that a large rumble entered his ears. He turned once again to see a large mass of beings moving speedily across the mountains. There was no doubt they were goblins. Archers, priests, warriors, overlords, even Trolls were among them. Drovin started bellowing to his companions to get into their positions for defense, and as he did so, he sped down the stairs.

He ran towards the blacksmith, and many dwarves surrounding were going the opposite way. He ran in fast to take a handful of swords and but them in a bag. He then grabbed a war hammer and quietly summoned the last four people in the building that were preparing to go to war. With him, they quietly escaped to a cave on a mountain close to the settlement. From there, they looked down, watching the goblins swarm in, killing dwarf after dwarf, levelling building after building, tearing Drovin's dreams out vein by vein.

They would not sleep the following night due to the bright light of the burning settlement.

Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kentarra accepted Taron's invitation, and that night the two sat together in the latter's cave. The Varg meat, Kentarra alowed, tasted fine. Of course, he guessed Taron had had lots of experience. They ate with their weapons; skewering a piece of flesh that looked appetizing and nibbling off the tip of short sword or scimitar.
"Well," said Kentarra after the meal. At least half the Varg remained; it would be imprudent to eat so much at one sitting, when food was scarce and having a full belly might make your movements fatally slow. "Tell me, what are you doing here?"
"Living," answered Taron, shrugging. "What else? I'm not staying in a cave for fun."
"I guess not. Myself, I just sort of wander around, looking for trouble. At least one Goblin Lord is after my blood, but he's never been able to catch me."
"How close is he?" demanded Taron, suddenly edgy. Kentarra laughed.
"Not close enough for you to worry about. Last I heard, the dear General was on the other side of the Hellfires." Kentarra spat. "You know," he continued, "I've always wanted the finer things of life. Back when I was a kid, before all this, I thought I could become a great Warrior. Now, the only way to win fame and fortune is from the Goblins. Fame I've got, after a fashion, but fortune? I've never stayed in one spot long enough."
"So?"
"So ... " Kentarra leaned forward, setting aside his sword. "I was thinking. You're the first human I've seen in a long time, and you've got no reason to love the greenskins. Why don't we join forces? I know an abandoned fortress a couple of miles northwest of here where we could set up shop. If we're careful enough, we could rob small parties of the greenskins without being found out. Who knows, we might even find some more men to join us."
"I don't know," said Taron. "What if the Goblins did find us?"
"Then we'd go out with a bang," answered Kentarra. "Myself, I'd rather die fighting the greenskins then waste my life as a cave or a fugitive in the hills. What do you say?"

Zonk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The next morning, Drovin glanced out of the cave for any signs of Goblin. There was none. The flames of his burning settlement had finally been put out by a heavy spring rain. He walked through the camp, examining the burned buildings, trying to find anything useful that they could recover. But the goblins had taken all resources. The sheep had been eaten to the bone, the vegatable patch was bare, all the weapons of the blacksmith had been carried off. Even the Dwarves' clothes had been stripped from them for the cloth. There were goblin skulls on pikes everywhere, a strange goblin practice that is supposed to give the former owner of the skull dignity.

He turned to his companions to see five dishearted smithies ready to give up. He had to do something, so he sat down with them and talked of what to do next.

"We can't stay here and rebuild, they have marked this area already, and it will be a constant on their patrol route. We have to go on with the plan. We follow the river to Lormidia, I believe there are still humans alive there. Then we move south to siege Valmorgen."(Mayhew had been burned to the ground and transformed into a fortress, so they were to avoid that area.)

One of the Dwarves spoke up.

"I don't want to go. We can't do anything, a small group of Dwarves against the bulk of the Goblin Army! Look how a much larger group of Dwarves faired under siege! We'd be decimated!"

Drovin looked into the eyes of every one of them, as if trying to see into their hearts, then answered the challenge.

"Yes, I admit it. We may lose. But would you rather die on the steps of the Great City, fighting for the return of good to the land, or die alone, hiding in a cave in the hellfires, just to be found by goblins years later, your corpse rotting, your life insignificant to the history of Ardania?"

This convinced the small party, and they began the journey South. Dwarves were not known for their good sense of direction, but Drovin knew which way was south, and he knew if he went south long enough, he would find a river that would lead him to Lormidia. From here, he would find directions to the Great City, and hopefully Rangers with good mapping skills.

They travelled through the hellfires for about seven days. The weather was dreary as ever, and they had to eat whatever they could find along the way. These were mostly rats and flightless birds that they found foraging on the mountains. One day they found a dead goblin, but only one of the companions could bear eat it.

On the seventh day, the mountains seemed to be getting smaller, and Drovin sensed that they would soon come upon the Northern Forest, where the River supposedly was, and where the last Elven settlements would be found.

While walking through a lower part of the mountains, they started hearing the wordless screeches of the Goblin language. They hadn't seen goblins since their settlement was destroyed. Drovin quickly jumped into a nearby hole in the ground, and the other five followed suit. The jabbering of the goblins grew louder, and soon they came to the area next to the hole. Drovin could see them all from the hole. There were about a score and a half goblins among them. Mostly archers and regulars, maybe a couple full-fledged warriors. Drovin's heart nearly stopped when the Goblins halted near the hole. They had stopped due to the screams of one of the archers, and they all quieted for him as spoke up loudly. One of the Dwarves, Thrain of the South, knew a small bit of Goblin Tounge, and started acting uneasy.

"I can't understand much," he whispered, "but he seems to be repeating the word 'shan' a bit too much for comfort."

"What is 'shan'?" one of the other Dwarves questioned.

"Dwarf."

At that moment, the archers all raised their bows at the hole, and the one speaking slowly eased towards it, arrow ready to go off at any time.

Drovin closed his eyes, held his breath, and wished he had a god to pray to.

Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Taron shook his head. "I'd like to," he said, "but, well, I haven't known you that long. Don't take offence, but - "
"Oh, I understand." Kentarra stood, and stretched. "I don't blame you. Well, thank you for your hospitality. It's been a long time."
"Are you going?"
"Sometime. Do you want me to stay?"
"At least spend the night."
"Fine. I will." So saying, he sat down again, his back to the cave wall, and promptly fell asleep.

Morning came very quickly. Kentarra stood up, and glanced around. He saw Taron asleep in a corner of the cave. No sound came from outside; that was good bu not overly so, since while Goblins would be making a racket something must have scared the birds enough so that they were not singing with the dawn.
Kentarra moved to the mouth of the cave. Behind him, he heard Taron stirring, disturbed by the noise.
"Going?" asked Taron sleepily.
"Might as well," answered Kentarra. "I'm looking for that castle I told you about. If you ever change your mind, or need my help, look for me there."

Zonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drovin the Dwarf sat in the hole, eyes clamped shut, waiting for the moment an arrow would be driven into his skull. He heard the sound of the arrow being launched into a body, and at that he opened his eyes and grabbed his hammer, preparing to avenge the death of one of his companions.

But all his companions were fine. He looked up out of the hole to see the archer drop his bow and fall face first into the cave. Drovin nearly slammed his mallet onto the goblin's head, but he noticed there was already an arrow in his back. It was not a goblin arrow either, it was made by the hand of man.

The dwarves pulled themselves out of the hole to see a battle erupting across the valley. About a dozen men clothed in nothing but loincloth and carrying large clubs and axes were marching in on the goblin army. They were the barbarians, the devoted followers of Krolm. Following them were about half as many men clothed in leather earth tones, carrying bows and unloading a hail of arrows upon the goblin raiding party.

"Rangers. We have finally found our Rangers."

While the goblins were occupied with this hole, the group of men had snuck up on and taken the goblins by surprise. These goblins were no match for the humans. The dwarves watched as the goblins were impaled by arrows, as they had their skulls crushed by clubs, as they fought to their death in the hands of the superior army. A couple of the goblins attempted to retreat, but were shot down by Rangers before they had the chance. The goblins were decimated, and the only human casualty was a barbarian who had been knocked out by a champion.

Once the battle had died down, a couple of barbarians and an archer were sent to check out the hole that the goblins had been fixated on. They found the six dwarves sitting inside, dirty but greatly relieved, and pulled them out.

They were stripped of their weapons and brought to the main group. A barbarian climbed upon a large rock and spoke up.

"We have come here today with a large victory, and we will feed upon goblin flesh today!"

A roar of approval erupted from the crowd. Then the barbarian urged them to quiet down.

"Now we must choose what to do with the spoils of this battle:" He motioned to the dwarves,"We have come upon six dwarven prisoners of the goblins, and have liberated them, now what shall we do with them?"

Though most barbarians were dull-witted and single-minded, this one was obviously one of exceptional brainpower. That was probably the reason he had risen as leader of the party. A barbarian group usually had a leader that made all the decisions, but they would hold "councils" for hard decisions. In these councils the others would give ideas, but the leader always had the final say.

Many of the barbarians spoke up, as they saw dwarves as little more than large goblins.

"I haven't ever tasted dwarf meat, let us try it out!"
"We should instruct them to build us a temple at a good place where we can base our operations!"
"They can join our army-on the front ranks to take all the initial blows!"

Then one of the Rangers gave some input.

"Let us talk to these dwarves and see why they have ventured into such danger, it may help our decision."

The leader nodded, and Drovin breathed a sigh of relief. He then stood up and told of his plan to take Valmorgen, and urged them to join him. The barbarians in the crowd soon changed their opinion of Dwarves and saw that they were a lot more human-like than previously believed. There was a roar of conversation and debate. This lasted for about half an hour, and the leader tried to sift through all the ideas, seeing which were good and which were mediocre. Then he quieted them down and gave his decision.

"We shall lead you to the forest, then we choose if we are to go on or stay in the mountains."

Though he didn't show it, this was a major victory for Drovin. Now he had half a dozen dwarves, a dozen barbarians, and eight rangers. It was the beginning of a massive army.

The group started off south, and Drovin had much conversation with the Barbarian leader, Chon the Vicious, and became quick friends. The quest had taken a 180 degree turn for the better.

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A lone Ranger, Uther Pathfinder, walked alone on the Central Plains. He was all that remained of a villages defense group. It had been one year since any other man from that group had taken a breath or seen anything. It was one year from that day that a goblin patrol, no, a gobin army marched on what remained of a forest near, what used to be, Ravenswood. He and many other rangers lived in tree houses in that very wood. The scouts had just reported in the day before, so they were not expecting it. The goblin army fired their arrow into the trees, and they did so repeatedly. They could have never seen it coming...
Now Uther, the only survivor, march towards Valmorgen, even though it had been weeks since he lost his way.
Uther looked down into his Journal, the most recent entry read the following:
Mission Log, day 365
To my Knowledge, it is one year since I escaped my ciy by climbed through the trees, trying to escape my doom. It is one year since I set out on my quest to take down the Goblin Empire. It is one year since I have seen a human face. Now my only sense of direction is to follow the flow of goblins, trying to trace the orgin of every patrol I destroy...
End Log
Uther was always a friendly man, always looking to befriend the closest passerbyer. He normally left a good impression. But now, all he wants is revenge. His friends, family, and children died in the raid on his village.
Night fell quicker and quicker in Uther's mind, but in reality the days were becoming longer. It had been long since he had any sanity left him.
Uther slept a full nights sleep, not waking until daybreak, 8 am sharp. Only, this day would be different, this day Uther would finally find hope.

Gandalf:Here at last, on the shores of the sea comes the end of our Fellowship.

Zonk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drovin marched South along with his newly aquired army. The barbarians stood in the front, a large, proud group. In the back were the Dwarves, proud and strong, guarding from any possible surprises from the North. Between these were the Rangers, with their arrows poised to fire at the slightest provocation. A couple of Rangers were scouting around the area for signs of goblins. Both of the leaders sat in the middle of it all, deep in conversation. They had become quick friends.

"A group of goblin lovers asked us to join them about a month ago, called themselves 'The Fodathes', The nerve of them." Chon the victorious commented ("The Fodathes" means "The Liberators" in the old tounge).

"What do you mean by 'Goblin Lovers'?"

"They were present with goblins who said they wanted the goblin empire to be toppled."

There was a short silence.

"Sometimes I wish I had not chosen to follow Krolm. I miss the woman of the old times. Do you have a wife?"

Drovin lowered his head and relieved the memories of his wife. Back in the first goblin war twenty years ago, he had been travelling with a large Ardanian army in the west. There had been talk of a Goblin Invasion flooding into Tholaria and the Dark Forest. His pregnant wife had come with him, and they stayed in inns along the way while he patrolled. One special mission occured during this time. He was out trying to find a goblin settlement that was supposedly outside of the town, when his family came under attack. It was similar to the KA 539 battle of Cullain. He returned to find the inn ransacked and his wife missing. The only man he could find was a drunk elf.

"Where is she?"

"Where are who?"

The words still rang through his head in the night. He had killed the elf, crushed his skull with one blow. He was forced to quit the army and found a new colony in the Hellfire mountains, north of the large lake.

"No, I never have," He answered the question.

Drovin noticed that the land was flattening and the trees were growing more abundant. Before long, they were in the forest itself and Chon had said nothing. Drovin was uplifted by the fact that this meant the army would follow him to Valmorgen.

Pretty soon, they came about a long ditch.

"This is it, the river," a Ranger announced.

"No, this is a ditch," Drovin countered, "a river has water running through it."

"It must have dried up or something, but this is it."

"It is spring, the big rain season, we're not going to come across a dry river in the rain season."

"I believe magic may be holding it back."

"Magic cannot hold back the Great River of the North! We shall cross the ditch and press on!"

The ranger looked towards his barbarian leader with a pleading face, but the answer was his head shaking in a no. The ranger seemed annoyed, but followed Chom's lead.

The forest was now thick and a ranger returned with some interesting intelligence.

"I have found an Elven settlement near here. I saw goblins among them. I believe they are connected to the goblin nation."

He lead them to the town, and they looked from hiding at it.

"We attack at dusk. The Elves die first."

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It had been two weeks since Kentarra had reached his castle. During that time, he had been engaged in clearing out the accumulated filth and debris of centuries. Finally he had cleared out a living space, and had time to consider what to do next.
"Can't take on the greenskins alone," he said, staring into a muddy pool in the castle courtyard. "Ha, I probably couldn't take 'em on with an army, given the ratio of humans to Goblins in Ardania these days. On the other hand, sitting here and trying to build up a settlement isn't going to be easy. For one thing, I have yet to find any colonists. For another, a human outpost will draw the greenskins like flies." He paused, and thought. "I wonder. They've left this place undisturbed. Maybe if I didn't fix it up, they'd continue ignoring it. I only need one or two rooms for myself, plus another couple if I ever get some men. The castle's basement will do for that. So that's settled. Now all I need are some recruits. Well, nothing good ever comes of itself."
His mind made up, Kentarra rose and passed swiftly out of the castle.

One of the advantages of his castle was that it was built in a pass, when of the rare ones that cleaved the Hellfire Mountains and allowed easy passage from Southern to Northern Ardania. At one time it had been filled with monsters, infested so thick that nobody even thought of cleaning it out. The Goblins had changed that. They had swarmed over all the pass, and when they were finished the only monsters there were themselves.
They used it as one of three main thoroughfares between the two halves of the Ardania continent, and had at first guarded it heavily. Now, as their ascendancy went unchallenged, they let their guards down. Some other breeds of monster had even crept back into the area, taking over abandoned Goblin camps. If the Goblins' guard had waned, their traffic had not. Caravans of every item conceivable passed through -- from silks and wines from Lormidia to magical artifacts and rare metals from D'Tar Mordin. One of the largest commodities, however, were slaves. Human, Elven, Dwarven -- they were all in great demand, for labour or entertainment (or, as often as not, food). It was in this human merchandise that Kentarra was particularly interested in.
That day a large train of slaves was passing through. Ironically, it was composed of about equal numbers of Elves and Dwarves, from Gur Mechina (humans, it should be noted, were scarce even in bondage; they had been so long used to being the rulers that they did not take well to slavery). Kentarra observed this train with great interest, especially that fact that, for twoscore slave, there were only eight Goblins, and none of these were of the higher varieties.
The slave caravan came to a halt as two of the Goblins began arguing about which direction they want to take. One want to go west, to Shovrah-Dan; the other, southeast to Valmorgen. The other six Goblins sided with the Valmorgen cause, and this majority soon beat the dissenter into submission when they looked up, they saw Kentarra grinning at them, scimitar in hand.
"Good to see democracy in action," he said. "But why don't you extend the franchise to them?" He waved his free hand at the slaves. "Or are they too dispirited to vote?"
"Get'em!" yelled the Valmorgen partisan. The Goblins charged. Kentarra lopped off two of their heads at one stroke, and kicked a third into two more. He parried the remaining three's blows, then drove them back with wide sweeps of his blade. The other Goblins picked themselves up, but hung back, fearful of the flashing scimitar.
Kentarra laughed. "You call yourselves Goblins?" he cried. "It's sad that such sorry vermin should call yourselves by that name. I bet even that one could take you!" He pointed with his sword at an ancient, crippled Dwarf who probably wouldn't last out the day with the slavers. Enraged, the Goblins charged again. With another laugh Kentarra slashed one open and crushed another's jaw with his fist. The remaining four howled and threw themselves at him, but he caught their clumsy blows on his own blade, and snapped their rusty scimitars with the force of their own blows. They fumbled at their belts, where they kept a multitude of knives, but Kentarra cut them all down before finger could touch hlt.
"And now," he said to the amazed (and somewhat frightened) prisoners, "you're free. On one condition: that you join me."
"And who are you?" asked an Elf.
"Kentarra Drusael, Goblin hunter," he replied.
"Goblin hunter?" said another Elf. "You're crazy! We'd all be killed if we joined up with you!"
"I see." Kentarra shrugged and shook his head. "Well, I can't blame you. Here, let me cut you loose, and then you can decide where you'll place your loyalties."
The chains, like the Goblin scimitars, were of inferior quality, and Kentarra's blade sheared through them easily.
"Good," he said, surveying his handiwork. Now, to avoid confusion, would those who want to stay with me step over here - " he gestured to his left " - and those who're going step over here." His blade swung to the right. Most of the Dwarves and several Elves stumbled to his left; he moved to the right, where they stared sullenly at him. Kentarra nodded approvingly.
"Just a minute, then, and I'll send you on your way." He jumped in amongst them, scimitar flashing. As he said, within a minute they were all dead. "To Krypta, that is."
The others looked at him, aghast. He winked as he wiped his sword on a fancy silk handkerchief he had lifted from one of the dead Elves. "What? Surely you've heard the saying 'Whoever's not for me is against me'? Did you really want these scum to go whining to the nearest Goblin outpost?"
There was silence, than a Dwarf stepped forward. Despite emaciation, height and musculature marked him as exceptionaly strong, even for a Dwarf. "No, I guess not. Thank you, stranger. I think the rest of us'll be happy to join you. Name's Corr -- Corr Flintknife."
"Well, Corr, and the rest of you, I've got only one thing to say: From this day on you're not slaves, and I'm not a stranger. You're free men -- if you'll stretch a point -- and I'm your chief! C'mon, let's get home to our fortress!"
With a ragged cheer the former slaves followed their new leader up the side of the pass and to his decrepit "fortress".

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Uther was awoken by the sound of feet close by. He jumped up quickly and started looking for the location of this noise. It was dawn still, and hard to see, but Uther still managed to find what he was looking for. It was a slave caravan, and appeared to be heading south. "This most be heading to Valmorgen!" Uther thought to himself. Uther followed it twenty miles before the sun began to rise. Noticing the position of the sun, Uther looked around. It then hit him, he was heading north!
"Well, since I've made it this far, I might as well keep following..." Uther mumbled to himself, "I just can't leave these poor people to their deaths, I must help them." Uther started to come closer to the caravan. "Hey! Who's out there?" a goblin yelled. Within minutes they had caught Uther and captured him. Uther concealed his weapons from the goblin eyes so he could keep them. Now all he needed was some help from the outside.

Gandalf:Here at last, on the shores of the sea comes the end of our Fellowship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: