Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Updates, please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cheshire Cat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Updates, please! Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I've returned to this forum after several months of absence simply in order to check for updates about the making process of Majesty: Legends, but to my disappointment no news has been posted by the staff since that time.

I'm a very big fan of Majesty who bought both the classic game and its expansion pack, and I simply can't wait for Majesty 2 to come out, let alone hear news about it.

Would you please be kind enough to tell us how the game progress'? (even in a very general way) as in; did the team start working on it yet, is the team working on it constantly, (or did it took a break or something smiliar to that) etc.

Some screenshots would also be great, as screenshots usually say alot about the game.

Actually ANY kind of information would be appricated.

By the way, users that are reading this may add their own questions or desires so the developers will know the greatness of our need to hear from them about the game.

Thanks in advance,

Cat.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Spiderman

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cyberlore has been working on Playboy Mansion during this time. Hopefully when it's done they can go back to Maj2; they started work on it but all the screenshots were for "demo"/exhibition purposes, like for E3 and not finalized.

Animedragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is too bad... I have been waiting a long time for Majesty 2 to arrive... *sigh* more waiting must be done I guess!

Tiger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cyberlore's just about to lose another diehard fan in me... evidently they don't give much of a crap to pay attention to their own loyal fanbase.

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't blame Cyberlore, Mr. Crankypants. Very Happy
They want to make Majesty 2 even more than you want to play it. They're frustrated. I'm frustrated. But it's still not dead in the water.
I know for a fact that they have been working very hard to find a publisher to finance the project but like it or not, Majesty was not a huge, mega-hit bestseller. It was an innovative, well made game that got great reviews but all publishers look at is the sales figures. When you're gonna spend several million dollars to have a developer like Cyberlore (or any game developer) create a game, you want to make damn sure it'll make back it's investment in a big way.

That being said, there are a few publishers out there who are willing to take a chance on a game that they feel has potential to be a great game AND sell well. Plus, there are other options that an independant developer like Cyberlore can explore and I imagine they're doing so, but this stuff can take months or years to happen. In the meantime, Cyberlore is fortunate to have Playboy: The Mansion to work on. If it sells well, who knows? Self-publishing is always a option (albeit a very RISKY one) and one that other developers have pursued with good and bad results.

In the meantime, there are lots of other games out there, (such as Thief: Deadly Shadows which I worked on Cool ) and it might be a good idea to upgrade your PC's in the interim if they're still in the 500mHz range with a 16MB video card,... bleh. Or, buy a console.
... and there's always board games too.
"One by one the penquins are stealing my sanity..."

Stokes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Yeah, what George said. Reply with quote Back to top

Majesty was the first published game that I worked on. It was a lot of fun to do, and the hope of doing a sequel keeps me warm at night.

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The short answer for now is that we're not currently working on Majesty 2, but still hope to in the future.

The longer answer...

George is right. We've spent a great deal of time working on securing a publisher for Majesty 2 pretty much since we started working on The Northern Expansion we've been making plans for the sequel. Why hasn't this happened yet? I think that the bottom line is that while Majesty WAS successful for us (we just got another quarterly royalty check recently!) it was not what publishers consider a hit - and this is a hit-driven industry.

"Hit" in terms of sales in this industry usually means over 1 million copies sold at full price. The lower your sales numbers are below that the less interested a publisher is in pursuing the franchise. They see sequels as generally getting a smaller percentage of the sales of the original, not a greater number. So in their thinking if Majesty was not a hit, the sequel won't be a hit so they won't make a ton of money.

Of course, we don't believe that ourselves and have some solid thoughts as to why the new game will do far better than the last... but that doesn't get us very far with publishers. That's why we started looking into self-funded development. Which is something that we're still pursuing as we have the time. Playboy is taking up pretty much everybody's time here at Cyberlore now. The attention that the Playboy game is garnering means that we're all doing a little bit extra to make sure that this game does well. The nice thing to remember is that if Playboy: The Mansion is a huge success it increases the likelyhood that either a publisher will decide that maybe we're right about Majesty and decide to pick it up, or we'll have the funding required to do it ourselves. In addition, the engine that we're using for Playboy: The Mansion is the same engine that we used for Majesty - with the addition of NDL's Gamebro for the 3D stuff. The engine is getting better, stronger, and faster - meaning that when we do get back to Majesty we'll have an even better engine to put behind it.

I apologize for not responding over the last year. Every time I thought I was going to have something great to talk about (like the new publisher) things wouldn't work out and we were back to square one.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the update, Jay.

vaneth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes thank you Jay.

Warlord Kain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well dont know if it is good news, but it is some news, thanks jay.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I found this the most interesting and informative news since the screenshots. It wouldn't hurt to have more screenshots either, just to kind of appease our appetites. And I was wondering, if they find a publisher, will they release a demo?

I'm not very informed on the gaming industry, but it seems to me that if a game does well than its sequels do well also. Maybe this is just some false idea I have picked up.

By the way, does anyone have the numbers on how many Majesty copies were sold at full price? I'd like to know the number of Expansions sold as well.

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, so would most game developers....

Publishers are notorious for NOT releasing numbers of ANY kind.

A game developer can receive royalty checks and such without EVER hearing from a publisher as to how many copies of a game was sold. It's all part of the game industry that is driven by NDA's (non-disclosure agreements) that developers must sign under pain of torture. For example, one developer cannot discuss with another what the terms of their publishing deal were. Thus, the publishers have a lot of leverage with the terms of a contract since no developer can really confirm that they've made better deals in the past.

It's all due to the immaturity of the industry. It's quite like the film industry in it's early days. The publishers (Film Studios) will control things until the producers ( developers, artists, programmers,etc....) FORCE them to change.

This is all just my opinion of course. But it sure seems logical to me.

*George starts to scream as he realizes he has shot himself in the foot.*
"One by one the penquins are stealing my sanity..."

Zonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am trying to watch my language on this forum, so I won't say what is on my mind about this industry. The RIAA releases precise numbers on music sales! The box office has precise numbers on the money grossed on particular films! Why can't I get numbers on computer games??

Spiderman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Zonk wrote:
By the way, does anyone have the numbers on how many Majesty copies were sold at full price? I'd like to know the number of Expansions sold as well.

Well, we know it wasn't a million copies, based on what Jay said Smile

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, once the royalty checks start coming in we do get some idea about sales numbers but it's not something that we generally share outside of the office. It's hard to know how accurate the numbers are at times, but you have to trust your publisher or you'll just drive yourself mad worrying about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: