Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Your Majesty

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

http://majestylegends.zombiekeeper.com/

I just may be recruiting writers and other staffers to help out!

Thoughts?

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

How about this font?

It's a GIF so you can modify it and it will not lose any quality.

Edit:
You need to use a dark background to make the edges blend correctly.

[ 07. May 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: wavefront ]

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how I can help, but if you need some fictional writings or just plain coding, drop me a line.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

None, yet. I am still trying to figure out if the game will have online/multiplayer play. One thing I've noticed about all Jay's posts and his interview with Gamespot is that the subject is never discussed. He may not know yet which would explain why he makes no comments on it.

At this point we know so little about the game other than the screenshots which raise more questions than they answer it is hard to make suggestions about content.

[ 07. May 2003, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

Jay may not say much because there simply isn't anything done, yet. Concepts, in art and gameplay, are all they have beyond the engine and graphics presented in the screenshots. Read the Jay Talks thread link. All they have is start-up promo material to present to potential business partners.

Be interesting to see how much of "...listening to the fans on our forum to incorporate their desires as well..." we get. Fans wanted a working online game. Be interesting to see how much of a sim this really is. I could certainly do without another sim game, even with the Majesty licence.

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

Well, lots of fans wanted a "working online game" and lots of fans never touched multi-player, preferring the single-player campaigns.

This is always a big discussion when developers begin planning. It also comes up as the build progresses and resources need to be prioritized. I'm not speaking specifically about Cyberlore here but about my experience in talking with many developers I've had the pleasure of working with.

Publishers also have a lot to say about it but I can't go into specifics on this point.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
Jay may not say much because there simply isn't anything done, yet. Concepts, in art and gameplay, are all they have beyond the engine and graphics presented in the screenshots. Read the Jay Talks thread link. All they have is start-up promo material to present to potential business partners.

Be interesting to see how much of "...listening to the fans on our forum to incorporate their desires as well..." we get. Fans wanted a working online game. Be interesting to see how much of a sim this really is. I could certainly do without another sim game, even with the Majesty licence.

I did read that interview with Gamespot. The concepts Jay was talking about all have to do with slowing the pace of the game and focusing more on simulation.

Ven is right about the fans. There are at least 3 types of fans on this Forum. There is the Steven of Nine type of fan whose main focus is RTS multiplayer strategies. There is the Apple type of fan who never plays multiplayer and enjoys the Quests and freestyle aspect of the game. And there is the Goldy_Bear type of fan who likes both. I fear the Steven of Nine category of fan is going to be disappointed.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I'm two of those categories. I use the single player to try out strategies for multi. And I play and finish all the single player scenarios for the enjoyment of the game.

The game doesn't have to be a hack and slash rush on over RTS to interest me. But human players are always far more entertaining than PC foes. If the game is to be played online, then it must be worth playing online, and it..... must..... work. Majesty, Majesty: NE and Majesty Gold do not work with anything near what I would call acceptable success rates. Whatever the problem, it needs to be fixed in this one, if there's online play.

It's like Emperor, where the nice idea of letting players lag until, what was it, 2 weeks, behind the fastest player. The idea was that noone's game would slow down too much, and people could play at leisure.
Didn't work. The slowest players always dragged everyone down. If you allow someone to intentionally play slowly, they will do so. If you force them to play at a certain rate, they will.

But, if the game doesn't join a chat room, freezes at the loading screen, says people have quit when they haven't, disconnects and runs separate games while the players think they're still conjoined, and confuses the effects of spells in online play... that's what I'm mostly concerned about.

If the game is good, and well executed, it can be a Sim. But if it says it's multiplayer, and that facet doesn't work... then it's a poor product. I'll play the game, rant about how good it is, write articles and promote it from the word-of-mouth side of things. I'll do my part as a devoted fan. All I ask of the developer is that the product does what they tell us it will.

Perfectly reasonable.

As to George's points. The same applies. Don't make a half-assed, unreasonable excuse for online play simply to get people looking at the advertising for the words "online play". Emperor did that. Don't put "online play" on there and then have the game not be usable like that until a patch comes out 8 months later. Don't screw the online fans the way you'd be screwing the single-player mission fans by making the scenarios crap.

Perfectly reasonable.

The biggest selling games in the modern day are almost without exception online. Even the Sims had to go online. You want a franchise, you have to go online. Not only fans but game reviewers are more and more talking about games without online play as inferior.

Online has become a facet of a game as much as the graphics and sound. "Who can you share this experience with?" is the concept.

My main thrust is this: whatever the game, whatever the style, if you include online play, it..... must....... WORK.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with most everything in your previous post with the exception of this small part.

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:

The biggest selling games in the modern day are almost without exception online. Even the Sims had to go online. You want a franchise, you have to go online. Not only fans but game reviewers are more and more talking about games without online play as inferior.

Yes. The biggest selling games with the exception of TheSims are online games. I could be mistaken but I don't believe TheSims had to go online. It was the biggest selling game of all time before it went online. From everything I have read TheSims online game isn't doing all that well. It hasn't stopped them from putting out yet another expansion and announcing TheSims2. I think the online version of TheSims was more of a let's jump on the online game bandwagon and make even more money. The online version isn't what has kept TheSims at the top or in the money.

Now I don't put a lot of stock in reviewers saying a game without online features is inferior. Your information is usually pretty good and I don't like to doubt you but that is a pretty sweeping statement about most fans considering games that don't have online play as inferior. That may well be true of RTS and RPG fans but I would argue that citybuilding simulation games are a different breed of animal that don't require online play to be good games.

SimCity4 isn't an online game. The SimCity series is pretty darn successful. It is true that they are trying to get into online with SimCityScape but I don't have any more confidence that that will be any more successful than The Emperor online attempt. I believe it is more of an attempt to jump on the online bandwagon.

There is a place for all - RTS, RPG, and simulation games. Some game maker may prove me wrong and come up with a really good online simulation game, yet. But I don't think it follows that if city building simulation games don't go online they will lose their market. I don't believe city builder fans require anything more than good fansites, bulletin boards and exchange forums.

Your Majesty

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

I made a couple of esthetic changes. What do you think?

http://majestylegends.zombiekeeper.com/

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

Good start. You are having fun with Adobe Photoshop ?

Your Majesty

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

<-- Is a total photoshop hack

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:

SimCity4 isn't an online game.

From IGN.com:
Further increasing the longevity of SimCity 4 is the ability to play online. Unfortunately, the online components weren't ready at release, but in the manual Maxis promises that you can "participate in Region Play where each city is run by a different political machine."

From GameSpy:
There's an intriguing multiplayer button on the SimCity 4 interface that links to a "coming soon" site. Eventually Maxis is planning to release "SimCityScape," which will allow you to play SimCity 4 over the Internet with other players.

Sounds like they intended it to be online from the get go. It's in the manual, it's programmed into the interface. It just doesn't work.

Whitedog

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

So, Your Majesty, is any of this helping you with your new Fan Site?

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Majesty Legends - The First Fan Site Reply with quote Back to top

Your Majesty,

Whatever happened to all your old Walk Through Articles on the old site. Were you not the one who authored them? Did you lose them when you gave up the old site. I assumed that that is where "The Bell, Book and Candle" came from.

Until there is more information on Majesty Legends there isn't a whole lot you can do with content. Let's hope Cyberlore snags a publisher this week......

P.S. How's "Slay the Mighty Dragon" coming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: