Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Jay Talks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

What if it's an anti-magic wall, through which you can not Gate?

housefish

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

A ZOO! The zoo has returned!

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Originally posted by Goldy Bear:

I'm having fun bickering with, Cooker.

Ahhh.... I see, then by all means keep up the great work. I am in stitches here...*picking himself up off the floor while laughing*

[ 07. May 2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Jakartiz ]

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
I said:
Even if there is a multiplayer since the emphasis is turning away from RTS toward Sim and RPG it looks like those who are interested in a quick bashing of their brains out WoD's vs. Solarii vs. Barbie Dolls may be disappointed.

quote:
Cooker said:
No one stop you from barb rushing !

Cooker I was referring Jayís Gamespot interview where he says:

quote:
From Jayís Gamespot interview:
One thing that has been very clear to us is that while we had been building a "Fantasy Kingdom Sim," what we ended up creating was really a hybrid RTS where your units could rise in strength like an RPG, and they didn't have to do as they were told as with a sim. Majesty Legends is placing a lot more emphasis on the sim side of things. This will change a number of things but most importantly the relationship you have with your heroes and the pace of the game.
In Majesty there was, at least early in the game, a sense that you had to protect your kingdom quickly or else the forces of evil were going to overwhelm you and destroy the kingdom. While it was sometimes exhilarating, it was also frustrating. Just when your kingdom had a feeling of stability and you had a chance to really play with it, the scenario would end. You could continue on from there if you chose to, but there wasn't much for you to do. It became a little like watching an ant farm (of course ants don't periodically launch a meteor storm at an offending rat man). In Majesty Legends we want to give players a chance to really get to know their kingdom and play it at their own pace. The addition of walls in your kingdom means that you can feel relatively secure from external threats while you build your kingdom, recruit heroes, and prepare them for forays into the wilds.

quote:
Tiger noted in another thread:
...And as for the roads and grids.. i guess Majesty2 will be a bit more of a SIM than even majesty if its going in this direction. Will this be a good or a bad thing? We'll see

quote:
I said in response:
I don't think I would like that. Not in a multiplayer environment. I love Majesty. And I love city building sims like SimCity4 and Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom. However, when I am playing a city building game I want to sit with the game on pause for 2 hours planning every tiny little detail of my roads and buildings. This is not something I want to do in an RTS game. No thank you to city building on the fly.

quote:
I also said:
Ö. If they are working on a mix of genres such as combining an RTS game with a City Building game I hope they look very carefully at what hasn't worked for other game makers. In particular, I am thinking of Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom. Its a great city building game that tried to expand to multiplayer. Sorry. But it just didn't work for me for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. Some types of games (IMHO) just do not lend themselves to multiplayer.

This may be neither here nor there if multiplayer is not in the equation for Majesty 2. If it is not I know a few of us will be disappointed, but regardless Majesty is still a great single player game. As a city builder fan I could probably be happy with either an RTS or city builder game.

All of this brings me back to my original point that with the pace of the game being slowed by placing the emphasis on Simulation there will be no time to spend on an RTS style Krolm Rush bashing in a multi-player game. Jay hasnít come out and said it anywhere but it looks very much to me from the Gamespot interview that they arenít thinking about an RTS multiplayer game at all.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tiger

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Well dont give up hope Goldie. What we can do is what we've always done: pester Cyberlore into giving us what we want; EVERYTHING!
Jay's said that nothing is really set in stone and this does look like a new mode of gameplay. Who knows, there might be a good form of multiplayer in the making here that may surpas the original Majesty (which in my humble opinion wouldnt be a difficult tast)

wavefront

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... with this new 3D engine Majesty 2 could look and play just like a FPS that would lend itself to multiplayer very easily but let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
Hmmm... with this new 3D engine Majesty 2 could look and play just like a FPS that would lend itself to multiplayer very easily but let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

*gasp* FPS! I've never heard such language. Wash your mouth out with soap.

[ 09. May 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Cooker

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

omg, fps majesty:

Majesty, your sniper canister is running low !

ROGL

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cooker:
omg, fps majesty:

Majesty, your sniper canister is running low !

ROGL

What's ROGL? Rolling on the grass, rolling on the ground, rolling on the garrison, rolling on the ....... ?

Cooker

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

roll on ground laughing

Falotar

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

"Menagerie" and "walls." The two most important words in the article Besides "Majesty II" and "release," of course.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Whitedog:
Equally important, I feel, is Jay's comment that they are going to try to eliminate the currently unavoidable, impending "ant farm syndrome", which I think we can all relate to. I feel that that would be one of the greatest improvements of all.

.....And clearly relates to Quest and freestyle play only. What ant-farm in a multiplayer LPS game? When the other guy's palace is gone the game is over. Reading this article it is pretty clear that multiplayer is not in any part of it.

Whitedog

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Or perhaps, Goldy_Bear, it just hasn't been developed yet. After all, what I was insinuating at was that while not everybody who owns Majesty plays (or is able to play) multi-player, despite how great it may be, everybody plays the single player Quests. Therefore, it would make sense for Cyberlore to direct their attention to that aspect of the game first. Haven't you ever wanted to keep on playing after a Quest was done? Myself, I've never played multi-player but I would LOVE to try it. I just don't have a very high internet connection so I ruled it out for myself. A slow computer doesn't help either. Besides, if they did it before, why wouldn't they be able to keep it in M2? After all, Jay did say "we've always wanted Majesty to be accessible to the wider audience of game players." That sounds a little promising.

[ 11. May 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Whitedog ]

Whitedog

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Equally important, I feel, is Jay's comment that they are going to try to eliminate the currently unavoidable, impending "ant farm syndrome", which I think we can all relate to. I feel that that would be one of the greatest improvements of all.

Grumbold

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps for multiplayer you start with many buildings already in place or the building speed can be quadrupled to give that faster feel?

For single player action, a more moderately paced "kingdom" feel sounds welcome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: