Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

I need your opinion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 2:12 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

I think the new design looks cool. I say do it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
The Archmage

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 6:52 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

Do it. I really like the new design.

------------------
"Now where did I put my spellbook?..."

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 7:53 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

I have a personal preference for the new color scheme. It is easier on the eye than the red.

Goldy

------------------
I never met a Ranger I didn't like.....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tiger

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 9:46 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

If the new design is just as well ordered and easy to navigate as the old one then I say it wouldn't hurt to switch over if it'll save you a few headaches down the road.
Just what are these problems you were talking about anyway that would surface down the road??

Dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

As Majesty-Dragon creeps up to the 100k hits mark, I have been toying with the idea of doing a re-design on the whole site. Right now it is easy to navigate and easy to maintain, but there are a few internal things that I implimented at the beginning that will become a large hassle in the future. Basically I never imagined that the site would get as big as it did.

So I am looking for suggestions. Tell me what things you like and what things you don't like. I have a sample of a new design available as the picture 'o the day on Majesty-Dragon. Take a look at it and let me know how it compares to the current look.

Also, are there any features you wish the site had? There are quite a few things on the site that a lot of people don't know exist, but I am sure there are some that folks wish it had.

Anyway, give me your input, and I'll put together a plan of attack. Thanks for the help.

Korben

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 12:50 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I like the older better,
there are so many with that black backfound as here, so my opinion is don't change!

Korb

------------------
It's only knock and knowall but I like it...

Golem XV

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 1:17 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

keep the current colors and use the layout of the new one thats just my opinion

------------------
The King of Typos and Streamofconciousness is here

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 5:27 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Korben:
Actually I like the older better,
there are so many with that black backfound as here, so my opinion is don't change!

Korb

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Goldy

------------------
I never met a Ranger I didn't like.....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 5:31 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm.. layout is fine, but the colours need more work.

Looking forward to seeing your new site!

Dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 11:33 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

All good input, but so far I am no closer to an answer.

What problems are there with the current design? First of all everything is in one monster directory. Good web design?...no It is quite cluttered.

Another problem I would like to rectify is that the current layout is a bit graphic intensive. The graphics are not huge, but loading a lot of small graphics does take time, and I am certainly not wanting to waste anyone's time. The links page is also very graphic intensive, but I am not entirely sure that text is the best way to go either for it.

Outside of that, a lot of things are very nice about Majesty-Dragon. For one, I have an automated news system, and thanks to server side includes, adding new content is a breeze. I do think the general structure is easy to follow as well.

It is kinda funny, when I went through the last re-design phase, everyone hated that color red; but being the stubburn guy I am, I went with it. Anyone actually remember the old design? You can see a sample of the old look here.

Basically I want to get it at the very least cleaned up and organized better on the back end. That way I will be better prepared for Majesty 2! So, if you have any input at all on likes and dislikes, let me know.

Thanks.

Tajma

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 12:07 am    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

Dragon, you can still kill the side buttons. There is a little trick with DHTML that lets you make a similar set of buttons with only 2 (instead of ... 16?) images. It involves image map + clipping images.

As you know, when you have an image on your website, the browser must open a seperate HTTP connection to get that image. So, a 200k file can sometimes be downloaded much faster than 10 10k files. Reducing the number of images eliminates that bottleneck.

Email me if you need more info.

As far as the layout goes, the new layout is more elegant IMHO.

------------------
Tajma

Time is not your enemy, forever is.

Tiger

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 12:28 am    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

*grabbing Dragon by the collar of his shirt*
MAJESTY2????? WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MAJESTY2! TELL US! PLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEE!

The Archmage

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:11 am    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

Let him go, Tiger...

The Archmage removed Tiger's hands from Dragons collar...

BECAUSE I'M GOING TO DO IT!!!!!.....

------------------
"Now where did I put my spellbook?..."

Golem XV

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:42 am    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

sigh he didnt say anything about it he might after E3 tho

------------------
The King of Typos and Streamofconciousness is here

[This message has been edited by Golem XV (edited 16 May 2001).]

Dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 3:31 pm    Post subject: I need your opinion Reply with quote Back to top

For now, let's just say Majesty 2 is a bit of wishful thinking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: