Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

MajX: to buy or not to buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> The Northern Expansion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:36 am    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

Probs with the game:

1) The multiplayer co-op doesn't quite work. Kit, Golem, Housefish and I tried a 2v2, using the eliminate all foes setting. We intended to flag one another to make enemies. But, often, non-enemy heroes will start battling.
We did Earthquake Kit repeatedly in that game though, so that was a lot of fun. But, no one plays MP, as noted. There are a number of people playing Maj, at any time, but it ain't the same.

2) Solarii are overpowered. If you don't choose Krolm, you're handicapping yourself by not using Helia when you get to level 3. Although the WoDs got the Howl of Discord, it's really only useful in MP. The Solarii Hammer is very, very nasty.

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Steven Of Nine)

All your base are belong to us.

Kit5150

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 3:47 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

i agree with what everyone's saying here (except the part where steven said it was fun earthquaking me to shreds)

anyway, the quests are much more difficult, the new buildings and spells have been a lot of fun to play around with, and the new hero abilities are sweet.

my main gripe is the lack of balance in multiplayer. solarii became kohan-like (that means immortal for you non-kohaners ), and krolm rushing is basically unstoppable unless you predict it is coming, and then its still extremely tough to stop.

overall though, i was very pleased with the expansion, and despite what people around here think, i still patrol these boards with an iron fist.

------------------
I am the eyes and ears of this institution, my friends...By the way, that clocks' 20 minutes fast.

Amathar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 3:47 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the quips, Goldy.

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
Beefs or things to watch out for....

3)The Mausoleum isn't that useful (not worth the expense).

I've read elsewhere (Mr. Fixit forum) that the only new buildings really worth the time are Magic Bazaar and Sorcerer's Abode. Bummer.

quote:

4)You can never get an MP game. Nobody plays Majx MP anymore.
5)Kit went away and plays Kohan now.

I've heard very good things about Kohan. I may have to try that, too. Alas, there are only so many waking hours in the day...

quote:

7)Barbarians are good way to go on most of the Quests as well come to think of it.

An article on Mr. Fixit describes the following apparent dominating strat: multiple Barb temples near a Sorc Abode and a sewer grate. Flag an emerging rat to get all Barbs to come out. Gate all Barbs behind enemy castle. RoK. Wait 10 seconds. Game over.

Another bummer -- for me. I don't care for the exclusivity of Barbs. Oh, well. Good to know, I guess. (I suspect I'll get trashed trying to finish a lot of levels with my Wizards and Paladins...)

quote:

8)Legendary Heroes -- my least favorite Quest.

Would you care to elaborate?

[This message has been edited by Amathar (edited 20 December 2001).]

Tiger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 4:56 am    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

huh? Ya coulda fooled me Kit. I thought you joined Madness where ever he is. heheh

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 8:29 am    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Amathar:

Would you care to elaborate?

Goldy had mentioned "Legendary heroes" was her least favourite Quest.

It's a quest where a half dozen barrows must be destroyed. But each one destroyed unleashes an earthquake and a horde of beasties. These hordes get progressively more powerful.

Also, you only have 30 days to finish, or Earthquake starts and keeps going until you're daid, daid, daid.

Add to that that although the heroes you recruit are already powerful (10th level, etc.) you can only have one per guild.

It takes some nasty tricks to win this one.

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Steven Of Nine)

All your base are belong to us.

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:33 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Spittledung:

The only beef I have about abilities is that solari can now throw their maces and explode when killed at high level. This IMO has made them too powerful since you'd almost be crazy not to play with them.

quote:
Originally posted by Golem XV:

imo helia is the best

quote:
Originally posted by Steven of Nine:

Solarii are overpowered. If you don't choose Krolm, you're handicapping yourself by not using Helia when you get to level 3. Although the WoDs got the Howl of Discord, it's really only useful in MP. The Solarii Hammer is very, very nasty.

quote:
Originally posted by Kit5150:

solarii became kohan-like (that means immortal for you non-kohaners )

Oh, come on. Solarii aren't all that much better than adepts. I still use Adepts all the time and I do fine. They get the double-attack move in northern expansion at level six, they're very fast and have the highest dodge and parry in the game. I'll bring up a topic where I argued in favor of the adepts.

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:40 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

It's in Heroes and Guilds

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty_Cow,

I have never had the opportunity to play any MP games with you and don't know if you play. But the analysis of the heroes by Kit, Steven, Golem and I was done with respect to MP games only. Solarii overpower most other hero types in MP games.

Goldy

------------------
Yarg!!!!!!!!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 2:25 am    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

If you were only talking about multiplayer you are probably right. I haven't played multiplayer very much. However I had the opportunity to play against someone using solarii once, and a few of my WoD's had them constantly fleeing. But mp isn't my area of expertise and I suppose that was just a coincidence.

Amathar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:33 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

Well, for what it's worth, my wife did cave and get the PS2 for the family. As such, I'm currently getting entirely too little sleep playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Fun fun fun!

When (not if) I get back to PC gaming, MajX will be on my short list. Now if I could just figure how to get that P4 2GHz with 512MB RAM...

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

Just as an observation about Goldy's comment about the Mansoleum, I tend to use it when I am building Krolm/Outpost/Law so I can ressurect any fallen Barbs before I get the level 3 Agrela Temple up, but aside from that, it does not tend to get built

------------------
Thwip!

Golem XV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

i build a mausoleum if im going to leave the computer runing majx for a long time while im not watching so then i can resurect all the heros that die other then that it is a waste of money

------------------
The King of typos and Streamofconciousness

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

I will sometimes build a Mausoleum if I'm using Krolm, so I can resurect all the Barbarians that die. Otherwise I wind up with too many graveyards.

------------------
"Hey, it's good to be the King."
- Mel Brooks History of the World Part I

Son of the Dragon King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

Amathar:
Two words:

Buy It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its worth the Dough.

------------------
Hail from the Dragon!

Noisy Rock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: MajX: to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote Back to top

Uhhh, I don't know about you, Pretty cow, but whenever I use Lunord's Adepts all I hear is "give me speed, Lunord".... And that speed is not for running towards the enemy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> The Northern Expansion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: