Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Cyberlore Needs Artists!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Cyberlore News and Information Service
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Adan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Cyberlore is now looking for some artists. Have a look at our "Jobs" page for more information on how to apply:

http://www.cyberlore.com/corp/jobs.html

Kenickie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Are you still looking for junior designers? I dropped off my resume on Tuesday and called today (Friday), but Clarinda wasn't available.

Anyway, just curious on the status of that.

Matt

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. Check the next topic..

Kenickie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Great, thanks a lot.

Matt

wavefront

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Just a couple of questions:

Is Cyberlore a real stickler about the 3dSM experience? I've worked with Lightwave, Alias/Wavefront and Maya, but I never used 3dSM. In the most of (motion picture) animation biz, the type of software you were familiar with wasn't as critical as having a strong portfolio and possessing general artistic skills. I realize this varies from house to house and industry to industry.

The second question is can you live in Northampton on a junior artist/designers salary? I was looking at a similar type of position at a place in/near Marina Del Rey, CA until I found out what it costs to live there.

If you don't want to answer these questions here I will completely understand, but I was just curious.

Kenickie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I lived in Northampton for the last two years, so here's the scoop on that:

Rent varies from about $550 - $750 for a single bedroom apartment. Most people I find live with housemates (as I did) because it's much more affordable. Northampton has a lot of nice housing; the place that I last lived was $1350/mo for a three bedroom really nice, massive place. It ended up being $450/mo per person. There's one thing to note about Northampton, though: since most of the houses are really old, electric heat seems to be the norm, and since we're talking about New England, it gets very cold at night. Last December our electricity bill was $700, but that is very high--our particular building was very drafty with very high ceilings. It really just comes down to being smart about conserving energy or finding a place that either pays for heat or has gas.

As for other living expenses out here, gas is about $1.50 a gallon right now for regular and eating out in Northampton is very affordable because there's about 900 restaurants. In fact, Northampton is known for being a town with some of the best food in the country.

If you live downtown, everything is in walking distance (Cyberlore's building is about a two minute walk from the center of town). It's rare for people who live downtown to own a car, in fact. In addition, because there's so many colleges in the area (Smith, Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke, UMass, and Amherst), there's a free bus system that will take you pretty much anywhere you need to go in the area.

Northampton is a very hip, young town because of the students. Sometimes the overly political atmosphere can get to you, but I suppose that depends on your political lean.

If you're the religious type, there's a great abundance of churches. College Church is well-known for being very contemporary and having a very young crowd--again, it's a walk from downtown. There's plenty of Buddhist and eastern-religion areas and support groups, too. If you're into Yoga, there's probably about 90 different places you can go.

Northampton is pretty much like any college town. Because of the students, you can find anything you need affordably so long as you know where to look.

Here's a few links for you to check out:

Housing/Apartment Database: http://www.cshrc.org
This site is probably the best place to find an apartment. If you don't want to live right in town, some nearby towns in order of distance are Hadley, Easthampton, Hatfield, Williamsburg, Amherst, Holyoke, Whately, Deerfield, Sunderland, Pelham, and Greenfield

Intro to Northampton: http://www.noho.com
This site is linked from the Cyberlore site. It has some decent info on it. I'm probably supposed to say great things about it because my current employer runs this site.

Northampton Chamber of Commerce: http://www.northamptonuncommon.com
This is a site I'm pretty familiar with because I have to do the dang database updates every month. Click Area Directory from the main page and you'll find everything you need to know about all the local businesses. Visit their websites to get an idea of what things are like.

The Hampshire Hospitality Group: http://www.thhg.com
If you're thinking of visiting the area, this is a website from the owner of most of the local hotels.

Anyway, I hope this helps! I loved living in Northampton, and I only just left because I got sick of living with housemates and I couldn't afford a place on my own. Greenfield is a very affordable town that's about a 25 minute commute away. I make the commute everyday, and since this area does not have any traffic (unless you're crossing the bridge connecting Hadley and Northampton), it's a very easy and enjoyable ride.

All in all, this whole area is very nice. A much better place to live than my native New Jersey.

Matt

wavefront

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info Matt.

Mogor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Well... since I'm young and all, nobody takes me seriously when it comes to stuff like this, but I thought I might give it a go.

I can work pretty well in photoshop, I'm willing to help out for free, I can write articles or whatever.

I've always wanted to help develop some kind of game or whatever, but never got a chance to help. I can work with photoshop pretty well (i have some work up on my site, http://clik.to/louie which also has some other stuff) but the site doesnt have any of me really good work.

If you want to see a webpage layout im currently working on, you can check out http://www.strategyplanet.com/totalwar/preview/index.html

I have some other work to upload if you feel you might be interested in an extra helper to do an occasional odd-job.

[ 08. June 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Mogor ]

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

As far as how seriously we take any of the particular requirements go, I can't really say. It's not that it's a secret, it's just that I don't do the hiring. I imagine that there is a little bit of lattitude given for any particular requirement depending on how important that particular requirement is to the job you'll be doing.

The best thing to do is send in a resume' early and work that part out with the folks doing the hiring.

Be warned though, we get literally HUNDREDS of resume's from all over the world so you will be competing with people with really impressive credentials. Don't feel bad if it doesn't work out.

hanger102

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I was just wondering if you guys are taking in any interns? I'm a student and I'm willing to work there for free. I want experience. I live in Northampton and I use Maya.

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't you send your info to our jobs page e-mail address. I can't answer your question but our art director will have a look at your e-mail if you do.

BTW - I don't believe that our artists use Maya, or if they do they don't use it that often.

hanger102

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

ok thanks, I sent my resume a few days ago but haven't heard back, thats why I figure I ask here. Also I think that you can export a Maya file to a 3DS file, but thanks for replying.

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Is there anything I could do on the internet? I don't have much to do this summer, I have way to much free time on my hands, and could use some money. Plus, I love the game, and would do anything to help, just from my computer, ofcourse. Maybe I could come up with story lines, or quest ideas for the game. Tell me your ideas on this, Jay. Oh, and I'm 13, I don't know if that is a bad thing... I'm talking about Majesty 2, if you haven't picked up on that, yet.

[ 15. June 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Galen Frese ]

Dr. DimWit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Cyberlore needs artists ? I could have told them that a long time ago !

Just kidding

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Cyberlore Needs Artists!!! Reply with quote Back to top

Thats fine with me. Maybe I'll just post more on the "What We Want in Majesty" forrum(I think thats what it's called...). Or, maybe, I'll make a new Majesty 2 forrum...

[ 17. June 2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Galen Frese ]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Cyberlore News and Information Service All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: