Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Playing over a TCP/IP network, I have played Many buggy LPS gaMes.

In one gaMe, My buildings died frequently for no reason at all. I was going to give up, but at that point, My opponent's gaMe crashed. I was free to continue.

In another gaMe, I got lots of ghosts*. There was a whole field of ghosts. As soon as I started deMolishing My opponent's Royal Gardens, the gaMe split apart. I was playing one gaMe, with an opponent who did nothing, and he was playing another. Eventually we both won.

In fact, I alMost always get ghosts. Majesty Multiplayer is BuggyBuggyBuggy!

*Ghosts are hero gravestones that don't dissapear, or that act alive, but have no effect. SoMetiMes they even look alive!

M

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

HMMMMMMM..... Another probleM. Nobody ever posts in the "Multiplayer Majesty" section of the foruM either!

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

The number of posts in that Forum are reflective of the number of games that the "active" forum members play. If you check there are five pages of that forum. It was very active at one time.

If you play multiplayer games and don't post there maybe you should. I post upon the infrequent occassions I play to recap events in the game if they were of interest and to thank my opponent for a good game.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Same old, same old...

If you'd done a search of the multiplayer forum on your problems, you'd have found loads of example.

You're telling the veterans nothing new. Try playing online, rather than a LAN... if you can get a game to start...

smeagol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by MMMMM:
Playing over a TCP/IP network, I have played Many buggy LPS gaMes.

In one gaMe, My buildings died frequently for no reason at all. I was going to give up, but at that point, My opponent's gaMe crashed. I was free to continue.

In another gaMe, I got lots of ghosts*. There was a whole field of ghosts. As soon as I started deMolishing My opponent's Royal Gardens, the gaMe split apart. I was playing one gaMe, with an opponent who did nothing, and he was playing another. Eventually we both won.

In fact, I alMost always get ghosts. Majesty Multiplayer is BuggyBuggyBuggy!

*Ghosts are hero gravestones that don't dissapear, or that act alive, but have no effect. SoMetiMes they even look alive!

The 4 bugs I have seen the most in multiplayer online majesty during the last few months on gamespy are:
1) Cant get into games with 5% of the hosts, it just hangs on a black screen BEFORE the majesty splash screen.
2) I get ghost gravestones in most of my games. It usually isnít a big deal unless I get 1 or 2 wizard ghost gravestones and my opponent doesnít, because the 2nd wizzy guild is so expensive.
3) The game split happens about 5% of the time to me also, and sometimes in these, right before the opponents castle goes down there is a Microsoft error message.
4) about 5% of the time, one of my hero's in which my opponent also has a similar guild already built, will be recruited in HIS guild and then run down the screen to my castle, or one of HIS hero's will be recruited in my guild and run down to his castle. I have seen this happen most frequently with gnomes, but have also seen it happen with rogues and rangers. It is bad when it happens at the beginning of a game before statues or royal gardens are built

There are others, but those are the recent ones I have seen on the current version of gamespy with a patched version of majesty and a patched version of majexp. (I do not have gold)

housefish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

The game split has happened to me once when i was playing gravity. What seems to happen is the connect breaks for a second but instead of the quit your games go on except it is like when you play after the quit. A way to tell this has happened is reward flags which had values will go to zero. Im not sure about the validity of this and if it was made up so that people have excuses for losing.

As for the heroes being recruited in other guilds I have never seen this. The only comprable thing is when I was playing a majx game against someone and my helia would change to my opponents side after my temples where destroyed. Apparently this is part of the game that if you have an empty guild which you have never recruited heroes for then the heroes will switch. Im not really sure this wasn't a bug since its never happened to me again.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by housefish:
...As for the heroes being recruited in other guilds I have never seen this. The only comprable thing is when I was playing a majx game against someone and my helia would change to my opponents side after my temples where destroyed. Apparently this is part of the game that if you have an empty guild which you have never recruited heroes for then the heroes will switch. Im not really sure this wasn't a bug since its never happened to me again.

If you are talking about what I think you are this is a feature of the game that has been there since the beginning. For an example, you can play "Deal with a Demon" and build a Rogues' Guild but not recruit. Get the enemy Rogues to destroy their own guilds and they will then take up residence in your empty Rogues' Guild.

You can also ask Steven of Nine how Kit managed to "steal" one of his super-wizards. The poor guy still has nightmares about it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
smeagol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
quote:
Originally posted by smeagol:

The 4 bugs I have seen the most in multiplayer online majesty during the last few months on gamespy are:
1) Cant get into games with 5% of the hosts, it just hangs on a black screen BEFORE the majesty splash screen.

5%? That's an outrageously low number. If you're making it into 19 out of 20 games, you're beating the system by a ridiculous margin.

I think that one of the things that helps me is I have a system that I use and the only game loaded on it is Majesty, running on win98, which I purchased in 2000, about the same time as the game.
I have all the updated drivers as of the beginning of 2001, but stopped there.
As a matter of fact I bought this PC just for this game.
I think I have loaded maybe 6 or 7 gig on its 60 gig hard drive, mainly Microsoft Office and email stuff, but I have next to nothing to conflict with the game, and all the hardware and software is from the era of Majesty. (No XP, ME, etc...)

quote:
quote:

4) about 5% of the time, one of my hero's in which my opponent also has a similar guild already built, will be recruited in HIS guild and then run down the screen to my castle, or one of HIS hero's will be recruited in my guild and run down to his castle. I have seen this happen most frequently with gnomes, but have also seen it happen with rogues and rangers. It is bad when it happens at the beginning of a game before statues or royal gardens are built

I have never seen this happen. I'd like to know if Golem, Housefish, Goldy or any other long-time MP veteran has seen this. This sounds like a crock, frankly. Because almost everyone will recruit Rogues early on, or gnomes, everyone would have seen this at one time or another. In all the games I've played I've never seen this, and never heard of it before. I think you're misidentifying some other occurrance.

The person I had this happen to last time was Lord Hopkins in a ladder match about 50 games ago.
(I guess that means it is probably only about 2% of the time, not 5%)
I actually saw it happen, because it happened early before I had explored his area.
One of my gnomes came from one of his hovel's.
I soon flagged one of his buildings, and he requested that we restart, so I did.
(Because it wasnt fair)
He seemed to know that it happened and was familiar with it.
Also, we did NOT have reinforcements on, as it was a regular majesty game.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:

5%? That's an outrageously low number. If you're making it into 19 out of 20 games, you're beating the system by a ridiculous margin.
quote:

2) I get ghost gravestones in most of my games. It usually isnít a big deal unless I get 1 or 2 wizard ghost gravestones and my opponent doesnít, because the 2nd wizzy guild is so expensive.

Use an outpost or Embassy to hold the other 2 Wizards' loyalty, trash the Wizards' Guild then build another at the price of the first. Simple.
quote:

3) The game split happens about 5% of the time to me also, and sometimes in these, right before the opponents castle goes down there is a Microsoft error message.

I've never had the game split in three years of playing the game. I see people leave, or quit, or lose, but never split.
quote:

I have never seen this happen. I'd like to know if Golem, Housefish, Goldy or any other long-time MP veteran has seen this. This sounds like a crock, frankly. Because almost everyone will recruit Rogues early on, or gnomes, everyone would have seen this at one time or another. In all the games I've played I've never seen this, and never heard of it before. I think you're misidentifying some other occurrance.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
I think that one of the things that helps me is I have a system that I use and the only game loaded on it is Majesty, running on win98, which I purchased in 2000, about the same time as the game.

Majesty and MajX are simply poor MP games, with terrible track records for connection. My thoughts on this are available all over the MP forum. I don't think you can identify what allows you to connect more often. If Majesty worked for everyone with regularity it would be possible to identify problems or good points in connections. It doesn't. It isn't.

Besides, if you're connecting 95% of the time, so are your opponents, which means they must have no trouble, either, but they probably aren't using the same type of system... I think you're exaggerating. A lot.

Concerning heroes going to other guilds...

quote:
The person I had this happen to last time was Lord Hopkins in a ladder match about 50 games ago.
(I guess that means it is probably only about 2% of the time, not 5%)

Hang on... it's happened once? Maybe once in the last 50 gamess, but you're always saying you've played 1,000s of games, right? So, it's actually extremely rare even for you.

And I'm sorry, but although I believe everything's possible in a computer programme with bugs, I don't think you're correctly identifying this problem. Maybe Hopkins can back you up.

But really, 5%? 2%? Once in 1,000 games is nothing like that. Your hyperbole is showing.

smeagol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Majesty and MajX are simply poor MP games, with terrible track records for connection.

I agree, I had better luck connecting from the same phone line with games like Command and Conquer, and Red Alert. I can rarely even remember a disconnect from those, and still being at the same phone line, I never called the phone company to check the quality of the line, like I have done multiple times since trying to improve my Majesty connection rates.

quote:
Besides, if you're connecting 95% of the time, so are your opponents, which means they must have no trouble, either, but they probably aren't using the same type of system... I think you're exaggerating. A lot.

I think since I have had such good luck connecting, that is one of the reasons why I have played so many online games. Once people figure out that they might need a patch, or fix their firewall port settings and the like, I have had pretty good luck. I guess I should consider myself one of the blessed ones since I have fewer problems than most.

quote:
But really, 5%? 2%? Once in 1,000 games is nothing like that. Your hyperbole is showing.

Like I said, 50 games ago was the last time it happened to me. It has happened many times to me over the last 2 or 3 years, but when it happens once every 50 games or so, I have a hard time remembering who it was against 150 games ago.

I am impressed if you can remember who you played 150 games ago

[ 05. June 2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: smeagol ]

Gravity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Well guys and gals, i have experienced all these errors in the past. The most annoying is the game split. And no the reward flags that say zero is not a crock. It is the tell tale sign of the game split. Its funny when both people win,lol. I dont make excuses for losing.I respect any player who has the skill to beat me. I have almost no trouble hosting a game, but only have about 50%probability of connecting to a game that I dont host. Smeagol, i believe you cuz ive experienced it too. Ive only been on for a year, but i play MP alot. Do u think it possible that over time the system has degraded and new bugs emerge? All in all i still have a great time in Mp at Gamespy, and about 90% of my games go thru good(as long as i host,lol) So im content with that. See you all in the trenches...Steven im still waiting for a game...smeagol( benz,lol) u too, and dont give me that "i wont play u cuz you aint in the ladder "excuse. And if i have played you but u were using an alias please disregard:o)

Peace all

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Gravity:
smeagol( benz,lol) u too,

smeagol is benz?

That explains a lot.

[ 06. June 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Twylah Skye ]

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Gravity:
Well guys and gals, i have experienced all these errors in the past.

You've recruited heroes that have gone to other players' guilds? Or vice versa? How do you know this? How do you know they went to the other players' guild?

Gravity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Bugs, Errors, and ProbleMs in Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Posted by Steven of nine
--------------------------------------------------

You've recruited heroes that have gone to other players' guilds? Or vice versa? How do you know this? How do you know they went to the other players' guild?

--------------------------------------------------

when this particular error occured (and ive only seen it like 3 times ever, and it occured with snm queen B) and ive only seen it with the gnomes in the first few days,... the gnome didnt go to the other persons guild it emerged from the other persons guild. Hmmm how can i better describe this. I recruited a gnome but instead of it comming out of my guild it came out of hers and ran over to my kingdom.Leaving a nice visible path, lol. we promptly started the game over. it is kind of obvious when you see your color gnome pop out of the other persons guild and makes a strait line for your kingdom.it makes the path visible where it was dark. Its kinda funny. Oh well i hope this clarifies what smeagol was saying.

Peace all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: