Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Post Mortems: Volume II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
housefish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

My goodness you too! Welcome back to Majesty and DarkLegend is a very good player who if you didn't take seriously you would definatly lose to.
Here is a warning for everyone the group of people playing Majesty right now is very good and are serious about the games they play. DONOT take them lightly or you will get beaten bad.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

The old thread was getting kind of long.

I played one game of Majesty last evening. My opponent's GSA name was DarkLegend and the only profile information available was Female.

I lost. DarkLegend said she had been playing about two and a half weeks. Very decent player for that amount of exposure. Hope I have a chance to play her again sometime.

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

Fish,

I don't expect to beat anyone these days. But its fun to get in a game or two to give you all target practice.

Yipee! Minrhael and I got to play MajX. We had fun gating and earthquaking each other. Played on large map skeletal hordes. Of course, Minrhael was one step ahead of me all the way but I got some good shots in. It sure looked like we had similar strategies. Did you see any differences, Min?

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

Played a couple of MP games (of Majesty, unfortunately) last night, against a couple of folk from the ladder, and paid attention to gaming traits. There's a rut being ploughed, although allowing Krolm will open things up, especially when players learn the Krolm-in-the-Corners strategy, which Kit called, after trying it out, "beyond awesome," for defeating the problem of the Daemonwoods.

A 7 day limit... won't cramp things too much. I tried it out on someone called Blaze last night, and if you can't use RoK for 7 days... you build an economy, which, once up, allows you to RoK constantly. I think the 7 day limit should be reexamined.

Anyway, my two games last night:

Eldritch, 30k, no wandering. I used Krolm, and so did my opponent!! I found his TP early, trashed it, put my Rangers' Guild in the corner (move camp ability) with 2 Temples to Krolm, a TP and an Inn.

Opponent spent most of his 30k raising his Wizards' Guild to lvl 3, which proved useful against the Barbarian Horde, as he lightning stormed me on arrival on day 8. But, he didn't spend on an economy. So, at 1600 a pop, he ran out of cash.
I had 6 inns, lvl 3 market, tp churning out 600G caravans, Royal Gardens and Fairgrounds (30k is a ridiculous amount of money to start with) and was replacing barbs and RoKing non-stop. All this on a non-elves econ, as I went gnomes for speed.
Palace went down at day 18 (enemy quit on day 17).

Second game was against Pinwhel2, whom I've seen around before. Was played on Troll Strongholds map, and enemy shot into the corner and TP there was covered by a Dwarven Settlement. Bold move, as moving all the way out there without gnomes to build those structures is a risk early.

I was accused of being cheap in this game, as I used Helia Fire Blast to zap wizards and tax collectors. Same old arguments come around again...

Like using the same Dauros/Helia strategy on the same map time after time isn't cheap...

Anyway, this game ended in what seems to be typical in Maj, now, with me pouring 8 Solarii and 12 rogues across the map toward a target on enemy town outskirts (slow, Maj version of Gate) then creeping into town.

Minrhael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

As for differences in our game Goldy, there weren't any that I noted, except I think you had more heroes going than I did in the beginning; I assume I had a few more economy structures, or else you just plain got ahead of me.

Other than that I think we played pretty much the same. Getting behind in heroes reminded me once again I need to concentrate on hitting level 3 palace sooner; I don't think I've ever beaten anyone to Helia, because I rarely use rogues early due to a couple of rogue revolts I've had since I don't usually build early loyalty structures.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

Some multiplayer games of Maj over the weekend.

Everyone wants to play Eldritch Circles again. Not a bad idea, since it's the only real map available for 2 players in Maj, and it allows everyone to buff their heroes before meeting the opposition, and to practice for the ladder.

Game 1) someone double-Rogues + Ranger's Guild to start their rush to lvl 3 palace. Well, figuring this is the new trend for ladder folk, I sneak a couple rogues aroung the daemonwoods by leaving a breadcrumb trail from my corner, to the neutral corners, to the enemy corner.

Once I'd seen the enemy town, I flagged the marketplace and the Rangers' Guild. His 8 Rogues were only too happy to tear 'em down. Since he was in the middle of expanding and upgrading the Palace, he couldn't get statues up. The other funny thing is that a Rogue attacking one of his own Kingdom's buildings will slay any peasant worker who walks by. So that made things worse. The other guy quit, although I was impressed he didn't call me a cheat, or cheap.
It's always a little annoying that someone using their pet strat gets smacked about, and blames you for their deficiency. Kit stole my level 10 Wizard by trashing my Guild, but I didn't call HIM cheap.

Second game lasted much longer. I didn't get the Rogues around fast enough, so they ran into vargs/bears, and ran home. After that, there were too many creatures around to try that again. So, I used the Krolm strategy (Krolm temples in the corner) to rush 3 Rogues guilds into the corner, and ran them across into the enemy town. (I trashed my own original Rogues Guild, so it could be cheaply rebuilt in the corner. Game was over by day 8. The key, as in using Gate in MajX, is not to attack the palace right away, but to hit critical stuff that doesn't rally all the defenders: Marketplace, Rangers' Guild. I have to refine this strategy, but I think it's a winner. You have to use gnomes, but if you're gambling on all those Rogues winning a rush, you have to forsake economy.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

It occurs to me that an edge to that Rogues strat would be a nice Inn. If timed right, the Gnomes that rush the corner to build the Rogues' Guilds could probably be enticed to put an inn halfway to the opposition town, which would be a great help for fleeing Rogues.... must try...

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

Just want to mention that I enjoy reading your summaries of play and analysis. Since I can't play online, I can be an eager spectator...

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Just want to mention that I enjoy reading your summaries of play and analysis. Since I can't play online, I can be an eager spectator...

Why can't you play online!?!?

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

I can only play from home and I have almost zero time to spend on the computer. We're barely able to check our emails every day. Just too busy.

I was able to play with Goldy one time when my wife had her tonsils removed and was recovering, but that was a rare spare moment

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

Had an excellent game with Korben last night, which taught the difference between good, quality players and normal folk.

Korben and I played Northern Kings (Lvl 2 palace) on Gorgon Realm (small map) with super, respawning lairs, with 20K.

It's a great map to prevent Krolm rushes, as the large number of early Gorgons on-map in the confined space lures Barbs into fights, rather than toward an opponent.

Both of us followed the Krypta path, and I went for my Solarii-WoD Gate strategy, while Korben readied himself for it. he knew it was coming.

Korben's town didn't look to have a lot of money spent on it, so I wondered if he wasn't keeping cash on hand for Wither. I was also worried about the lvl2 Wizards' Guild, which I didn't want to see make lvl3, allowing th Lightning Storm defense.

I therefore shot my wad early, and Gated in with only 4 WoDs and 4 Solarii. Normally, I will run my econ up until I have 2 Warriors' Guilds full of WoDs, available to Gate in either by Call-to-Arms or from the Fairgrounds. I usually also have 2 Helia Temples. But knowing Korben was better than 95% of the opposition I've seen, I didn't want to wait for him to develop a defense.

He repelled my first attack, which really only damaged an Inn, and took out a freshly-placed Bazaar. And he then whacked my Sorcerer's Guild!!!!!

I promptly rebuilt that, plus a Fairgrounds, plus rebuilt my WoD force and gated in again. Oops. My 3 WoDs (no Solarii were unoccupied, and the attack was pitiful) couldn't take down the lvl3 Market (they inexplicably started chasing peasants when the Market was down to 20 hp...) and while I was maintaining my attack, I missed Korben's own forces tearing down my Magic Bazaar and other SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT buildings.

Two lessons learned: my town and attack strategies are fine as is: despite building a Sorcerer's Guild to lvl 3 twice (about 6000 Gold each) plus Gating twice (4000 Gold) plus Call-To-Arms to prepare and defend WoDs (about 2000 Gold) I only lost the game due to lack of wisdom. I ignored his attack on my town. So, I spent 18,000 Gold, and still had plenty to throw on Wither and Heal all game long.

Lesson two: Korben is a fine player, and the difference between playing someone of his calibre and a regular Multi-player is huge. I enjoyed the game versus Korben far more than any of the 6 or so I played and won against other opponents this weekend.

Thanks for the game, Korben, and I'll be ready for a rematch anytime!!!

Korben

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
Had an excellent game with Korben last night, which taught the difference between good, quality players and normal folk.

Thanks for the game, Korben, and I'll be ready for a rematch anytime!!!

Thank you Steven!

I also enjoyed the game very much.
It was like playing chess, to see an attact, then counter it and make your own attact.

To see your Wods coming, putting wither on them to see you make call to arms.

I saw your Wod plan quite early as they were putting your first warrior guild down before you got your statues up

It was a unique game, I think one of the best I have had so far. I saw you got no wizards, so I went for more rogues, so finally I had 8 rogues 8 solaries 2-4 priestess, 2-2 warriors and wods, 4 rangers, 2 elves, 2 wizards, 2-4 of those shiny small guys (can't remember) , so it was about 35 days(!), when I thought I was gone, my market was down to some 30 hit points, but then I got some new fresh priestess out which got the wods out fighting the skeletons and gave time for the peasants to fix the market, then you tell that you had lost some important buildings, 3 or 4 of them....
so game over... really good game...

So bad that my time zone is so late, we were playing at my 2 am and the game lastest like 1 hour, good that I got holidays

I sure like to play you again too.

Korben

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

Finally...

Got some revenge on Korben, today, in a 3-player game with him and Corky. Corky wanted to use Gnomes, so we started with frontier keeps, Land of Ruin, and 30k. Usually I like the Northern Kings setting, where you start with just a level 2 palace. We had Harpy Raiders and Super, Respawning Lairs. You don't have to worry about building the level one structure and racing to upgrade your palace.

Anyway, since we had 30k, a large map, and probably a long time before seeing one another, I went Krolm. Not RUSH Krolm, but long-term Krolm. I wanted to test a theory.

Other than a day-3 romp into someone's town, I think Krolm loses out to Krypta because of the latter's ability to use Wither to cancel RoK, and their ability to recruit Solarii.

However, my theory was that with a large enough economy (to fund replacements and RoK) I could simply overwhelm any defense with Barbarians.

I built in this order: Market, recruit 4 rangers, research lvl 2 weapons, upgrade palace. Upgrade Market ASAP, Inn, Elves, two temples to Krolm, recruit 12 Barbarians

Once I had 12 heroes, I upgraded to lvl 3, built a Bazaar +4 inns for Wall Street, and started to rake cash.

The Barbarians used the super lair denizens to level up, and as the cash came in I built a Fairgrounds, running a constant Melee contest. There were 4-6 Barbs in there at all times.

Once he'd scouted me, Korben tagged my buildings with large rewards, around 800-1000 on the Krolm Temple and the Sorcerer's Abode. When my Barbarians followed him home, and more were following, I called my first Krolm, and as soon as the first defense was dead, I Earthquaked and reward tagged his Wizards' Guild.
The buildings nearby were only Inns and the Library, so the Earthquake rocked.

By this time, my economy was strong enough that I could RoK constantly, and replace any dead Barbs with a fresh one. I had 4 Krolm temples, all full, so that's 24 Barbarians, 4 Wizards, 4 Rogues and 4 Rangers.

There's only so much you can do to counter this with Wither. So for the 1500 I spend on RoK, he can Wither 4 guys... that ain't a lot.

After I took the Palace, I bailed. We were having a Garage Sale and the weather finally cleared. But Corky had some very strong heroes defending. Gate was probably in order there.

Golem XV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

maybe...... i'm feeling in the majesty mood again so look for me on gsa.......

Korben

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Post Mortems: Volume II Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
Finally...

After I took the Palace, I bailed. We were having a Garage Sale and the weather finally cleared. But Corky had some very strong heroes defending. Gate was probably in order there.

It was a 3 ffa, I don't personally like that very much as it depends too much on placement on map.

I thought first Pony was at top left, so my defence was build on that, well then I saw Corky yell that Barbarians is what Steven the Pony went for, then I started my WIZ guild, kinda too late..
then he went for me full... well castle down..

Anyway after Steven the Pony quit, we continued playing with Corky about 40-50 mins when I had to tell him that I have to go to work sunday so we had to stop. I was kinda slow anyway with him, me having only Outpost. My plan was to build another Outpost, get rid of Elves and go gnomes to have more builders. Well anyway I had to extort a lot with only 2 taxcollectors.

Also I thought, if I stay quiet, you Steven go for Corky, and I got time to build. I had about 25 heroes left (8 Solaries) and more coming.

So I think you would have won anyway.. only if you play 3ffa also kill the other opponent.

Well I would have some fun to get you suprised that I was still alive, lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: