Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Pony goes to School
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
Goldy:
BTW:
Buddha

Look at the signature on your posts...

Thank you. I wish I could spell better. How do you spell Buddhist?

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
Goldy:
BTW:
Buddha

Look at the signature on your posts...

Thank you. I wish I could spell better. How do you spell Buddhist?

Goldy

Just like that...
Buddhist

housefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think these people really want to change over to MajX. There are actually a few others in there with gold or MajX and they all prefer to play Majesty.

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

I'm too lazy to start a new topic so I'll use this one...

I was in Game Spy last night for what I thought was the very first time -- turns out that someone had setup an account with a password that matched the account name and password I typed in, so I used it. Hmmm, maybe I'm really a multi-player a heart and I have been "sleep gaming" at night -- Well, I convinced one of the people hanging out in the Majesty room to go to the MajX room and teach a "newbie" a lesson on how to get his butt kicked -- I really had no intention of losing. See, I had been practicing quests with the speed set to max so, when I played with the default setting every thing would seem slow. -- Well any way, I set up this MajX room with this other player (I was host). I selected New Settlement and 15k gold, for the set up and off we went. So I started building like a mad man... boom, boom, boom, I had three markets all set up and was recruiting people like an Amway salesman at a family reunion. It was day 4 and he still hadn't started attacking me yet. My plan was working, he must think I'm a big pushover . So I build two outposts, demolish my temples of law and start building temples to Krolm and a fairground for my wizards. Hmmm, day seven he should be attacking by now. Maybe he's having problems with wandering vampires, zombies, and skeletons. Well, I took this opportunity to demolish my elven bungalow, and start building a whole housing tract of ballista towers in front of my town. Hmmm, still nothing. I set 1000 gold explore flags all along the edges of the map. Hmmm, I was apparently in a battle of the wits, all by myself.

What happened? Did this guy ditch me? Did I do something wrong when I set up the game? I didn't set any passwords for the room. The number of players was two. And I saw the guy enter my room and say he was ready… Maybe this is better when I do it in my sleep.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by housefish:
I don't think these people really want to change over to MajX. There are actually a few others in there with gold or MajX and they all prefer to play Majesty.

But what she's asking is why? Reasons that top the list: there's always a few folk waiting in Majesty, but not in MajX.

Playing MajX for most of them would be a learning experience. People who're good at something don't generally like to be reminded of what it's like to be spanked (<ahem>).

You should encourage MajX play among those who have it. I'll drop in and offer to play anyone at MajX. But it's silly to play Maj when a better product is available, other than for personal preferences... like not losing.

Minrhael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

I agree wholeheartedly; I just signed up for the ladder yesterday, and I'll play Majesty, but NE is so much better, I'll just keep lauding it's superiorness until some of them play MajX with me!

housefish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

What I'm trying to point out her is that MajX isn't the better product, at least not for mp. The game is way to tilted towards helia for it to really be any fun.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

*huge sigh*

I guess we're all alone here, Min and Steven. Minrhael, you might try looking for Korben on the weekends. He's in Finland but keeps late hours so he can play with us on this side of the pond. I am pretty sure he prefers Majx. He gets real upset with Krolm and Earthquake though.

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Minrhael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

As for Helia dominance, just agree not to use it or limit to one temple; I don't really see it as a problem as no one uses Lunord even in regular Majesty; I love Lunord on some single player maps, but it's just not built for MP.

I'd like to see more variety, but frankly there's no variety in Maj or MajX as far as I can see; I've played a dozen games perhaps since I came back a couple days ago and in every MajX game I've faced Helia backed by Krypta. In every Maj game it's been Dauros/Helia in equal numbers. Maybe I'm forgetting a game that didn't go that way, but i don't think so.

At least in MajX I have to worry about earthquakes and gates in addition to a straight up across the map rush; now if I can just find some people who don't have to play with 30k gold all the time Geez I hate that! But I'll take it, I just gotta play again; regular or expansion, 30k or 15, I'll be on GSA regularly even at 3am central us time, look me up people!

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
What I'm trying to point out her is that MajX isn't the better product, at least not for mp. The game is way to tilted towards helia for it to really be any fun.

Ah, but it IS the better product if you invest some time. You don't like Helia dominance? Use the build tree editor, as noted by Min, and limit to one Temple. And you don't think Helia's considered dominant in Maj? When was the last time an opponent gave you a battle using the Adepts?

There's nothing available in Majesty that you can't tailor from MajX, and still have the additional buildings. And Helia is not dominant in MajX as we thought. There's no choice between them and Lunord, I agree, but WoDs used properly scatter Helia to the winds.

Majesty has devolved in GSA to a one note game, as evident by the strictures of the ladder: Eldritch, No Krolm, etc. So everyone plays the game exactly the same way, rushing to level three, popping out Helia and using Dauros/Agrela boosters. Then, they plop down some Rogue's Guilds and flag one or two outskirts buildings to start the fight.
There's a comfort level going on in the community that plays these games. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's limiting. And sticking with Majesty is denying everyone a broader experience.

Come on, fush, you actually prefer playing MP Maj to MajX? How is Maj a better MP game, other than simple personal preferences?

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
Come on, fush, you actually prefer playing MP Maj to MajX? How is Maj a better MP game, other than simple personal preferences?

He probably gets more games going with the crowd.

Goldy

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
quote:

But what she's asking is why? Reasons that top the list: there's always a few folk waiting in Majesty, but not in MajX.
I know that!!!

housefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

Dauros is hardly the dominate figure in Majesty, it just happens to be the latest trend. If you recall Kit beat the hell out of all of us using krypta, which is a very powerful force in Majesty. Or you can be original and use the new hero combo and use dwarves and wizards. It is much more balanced and you can always find a combo of heroes to beat what might seem to be a dominate combo. Helia is also not the big force in Majesty that you seem to think it is. Sure no one uses adepts, but we know thats because they are so weak. The major differnece is that you can choose not to use Helia in Majesty and still win.

As to the ladder being close minded, that I do acknowlege and have been trying to help fix. The whole no krolm thing bugs me too and i have been bothering the guy to change that.

Also because of the new stats and everything for the heroes in MajX you cannot replicate Majesty. If I attacked your WoDs with monks it would be a slaughter. The good side in MajX is not powerful at all monks, pallys both are probably weaker then adepts.

Korben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
*huge sigh*

I guess we're all alone here, Min and Steven. Minrhael, you might try looking for Korben on the weekends. He's in Finland but keeps late hours so he can play with us on this side of the pond. I am pretty sure he prefers Majx. He gets real upset with Krolm and Earthquake though.

Goldy

Lol Goldy!
Well newbies can try to Krolm me it won't bother me. EQ makes lag that's why I don't prefer it anymore, if you get to do it first, the other has no change to do anything. I've been playing regular Majesty too. There are some good players, only problem is with some newbies, they do the newbie stuff, quit without telling, pause the game every 1 min for 5 mins etc... Some might have the infinate gold cheat (the stats should be visible for both at multi)

I prefer Expansion but when no players there, have to play Regular Maj.

[ 19 April 2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Korben ]

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:33 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

You haven't played a lot of Multiplayer MajX, fish, and you've played a lot of Maj, and it's showing.
quote:
Fushy said:
The major differnece is that you can choose not to use Helia in Majesty and still win.

That is a BOLD statement.

Solarii are a must in both games. If you can win so easily without Helia in Maj, why don't you try doing just that. See how your record goes when you don't use them.

quote:
Fushy also said
It is much more balanced and you can always find a combo of heroes to beat what might seem to be a dominate combo.

That is true to a degree. For anything other than Krypta. The new trends you mention: Wizards and Dwarves, Dauros/Helia, however, seem both to fall prey to the other major trend: Rogues, Rogues, Rogues.

A lot of what seems to happen with the 3+ Rogues' Guilds strategy is that a wave of low level rogues will float towards a target, pretty much all at one time, after it's flagged. If strong enemy opposition is there, they'll flee, pretty much en masse (where's CoH when you need it!!!!!????) But, they all flee to the same refuge, and all come back at the same time, and if enemy forces aren't present, they take it down. It's strategy by brute force. The counter to that is a Wizards' Guild at level 3, and Lightning Storm mangles rogues.

Krypta isn't what it used to be, in MajX. The distraction once posed by all those skeletons is hardly that, anymore. A couple of Healers and Paladins radiating the Harm Undead spell wipes them away quite easily.
If your opposition is also using evil forces, a couple of WoD HoDs clear the skeletons, too. Skeletons are still a great extra tool for single player, and prolong the life of the Priestesses, but they aren't the be all and end all they once were in screening the ladies.
Kit left for Kohan before really trying out its possibilities, but MajX has so many ways to get around the flood of Krypta that was his meat and potatoes in Maj. He'd been developing the Healer/Solarii strategy, and Golem followed through with this one.

As for Monks versus WoDs... Golem and I can attest to their equality in MajX. We had a couple of games where our Monks and WoDs were critical striking one another. The great changes in MajX were the raising of the bar for the WoDs and for the Solarii. The solarii didn't need it, but the WoDs did. They're suicidal maniacs with no chance for survival in Maj. In MajX they're a viable alternative to Paladins, who can be left alone after 4-5th level.

I saw the discussion about using or not using Krolm. Either you should allow it completely, or not at all. Putting a day limit on when to use it... all that's going to do is start arguments about whether someone waited long enough.
You effeorts to broaden the range of the ladfder players is appreciated. I can't see joining any ladder so restrictive. Do TA, StarCraft or AoE games always play on one map? No, they don't. Perhaps Kev could be convinced to allow MajX games if both players agree on all the settings.

I don't buy your belief that Maj is more balanced than MajX. Not with the build tree editor. In MajX a viable alternative is to use Warriors and Healers, and not even use Paladins. Healer behaviour protects themselves more, as well as the Warriors.

It's a personal preference if you think Maj is a more balanced, better game for MP. If you don't want to use the build tree editor (ex: limit Helia to 1, but no limit on Lunord) to balance things, then you can stick with Maj. But MajX offers a lot more, and with effort, anything you can complain is unbalanced in Maj can be fixed through the Expansion's tools. The only unbalanced factor in MajX (addresssing Monk's ability to lay waste to WoDs and allowing Paladins/Healers to slap skeletons are making the game more balanced) is Solarii, and the game allows YOU to balance that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: