Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Pony goes to School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
housefish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

You lost to a TK? My goodness your rusty...

Don't worry to much about that steven, i've been training them all so i can have some decient competition. They are a very good group of players and losing to one is no disgrace especially since im one myself.

Im finding that Majesty is a lot more fun because of the great balance of the game.

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

Kram beat me too on New Year's Eve. That was the last multiplayer game I played, because after that I couldn't get a game to start properly and I think it was my computer's fault so I quit.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

I was taught a very nasty lesson in the differences between Majesty and Majesty Expansion over the weekend.

One of the TK (I think it was Lord Kram, but it might have been Lord Fool) beat the tar out of me on the Eldritch Circles map.

Even though I knew it was Majesty, and not NE, and planned for such by not wasting my time on WoDs, and even though I didn't Krolm him, and even though I decided to use Adepts for a change of pace, I was thoroughly defeated by day 25 or so.

Seems I've become addicted to the Abode, and to the new abilities of the WoDs.

Most Majesty play on GSA has devolved into a combination of the lvl 3 palace rush to Solarii, and 2 or more Rogues' Guilds. Play seems to revolve around overpowering the enemy's ability to defend.

This doesn't work in MajX. First, the legions of Rogues would find it very hard to last through a Chain Lightning attack. Problem: Majesty doesn't have Chain Lightning, and Lightning Storm isn't wide-ranging enough.
The Solarii, I've found, are no problem when faced with a couple of WoDs. A couple of HoDs, and they flee just like everyone else, and CoH adds to the fleeing. Problem: Majesty doesn't have the WoD HoD or the CoH. Aaaaagh!! And I kept thinking that I could use them...

There's a purity to Majesty, when you play after all the MajX games. You can see the beauty and the elegance of the system all over again. But unlike a lot of games that have sequels that are simply scenario packs or bug fixes, MajX has added greatly to the game through the new unit abilities and the buildings. All they needed to do to fix it was make the Solarii a little weaker.

Next time I play Majesty on GSA, I'll play to win. That means... KROLM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

As solace to your wounded, has-been pride Steven, I was in the Majesty room Sunday evening. A couple of the TK players were there playing and recruiting for their ladder. In the chat, a newbie dropped the comment that he/she was just now learning about "Wall Street". One of the TK players responded with a "knowing it all" LOL. In fact, LOL was one of the few words he knew how to type.

I didn't want to make excuses for my loss. I thought it would be a disservice to the person I played who was pretty good. You are probably right. Having not played in so many months, using MajX strategies, and not being used to a 30K start
I too am a "has-been" these days. I am sure you won't suffer many or any more losses re-adjusting.

Goldy

[ 16 April 2002, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by housefish:

Don't worry to much about that steven, i've been training them all so i can have some decient competition.....

Bragging, bragging, bragging......Since I can't beat you I will correct your spelling. That is, "You're rusty," and "decent".

Goldy

[ 16 April 2002, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by housefish:

Don't worry to much about that steven, i've been training them all so i can have some decient competition.

Well, get them into the MajX room and practice that with them. Life without Gate isn't life at all...

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

Wave,

We can't read your mind. What happened once your heroes explored the map? Are you saying there was no oppposing town or palace anywhere on the map?

I have seen disconnect bugs before, but I have never seen a game in which the other town didn't get set up by the computer. Perhaps he got disconnected before you ever hit the start game button. I would not assume he ditched you. Although it happens from time to time there are too many disconnect bugs associated with lag, buggy PC's, gameserver problems, etc not to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Goldy

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
I'm too lazy to start a new topic so I'll use this one...I selected New Settlement and 15k gold, for the set up and off we went. So I started building like a mad man... boom, boom, boom, I had three markets all set up and was recruiting people like an Amway salesman at a family reunion.

I'm not sure what map you used, but I'd like to know how you were doing this on 15k. You also don't mention when you upgraded the palace. It's going to be hard to give advice if you don't include a little more detail.

Anyway, if you built this on a no monsters map, you're insane. An enemy's going to see you with no heroes and 3 markets, and run all over you. You should balance economy and heroes.

As for the bug... we do need to know if there was no palace. Were you LPS (last palace standing) or Eliminate all Foes for your setting. What was the map enemy, the wandering monsters...?

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
Wave,

We can't read your mind. What happened once your heroes explored the map? Are you saying there was no oppposing town or palace anywhere on the map?

Goldy

The only thing I found was monster lairs.

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
I'm not sure what map you used, but I'd like to know how you were doing this on 15k. You also don't mention when you upgraded the palace. It's going to be hard to give advice if you don't include a little more detail.

Anyway, if you built this on a no monsters map, you're insane. An enemy's going to see you with no heroes and 3 markets, and run all over you. You should balance economy and heroes.

As for the bug... we do need to know if there was no palace. Were you LPS (last palace standing) or Eliminate all Foes for your setting. What was the map enemy, the wandering monsters...?

I had a rogues guild a warriors guild, 3 markets and a guardhouse, when I upgraded the palace.

The wandering monsters were all undead and there were dozens of creature dens on the map.

I couldn't find his palace anywhere. The setting was Eliminate all Foes as I recall.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

OK,

Your opponent had to be disconnected before you hit the Start button. That is the only way you could get an on-line game with no opponent or opposing town.

In order to make sure your opponent even made it into the game you can use in-game chat to find out if he is there. Sometimes it can be as simple as hitting the Enter key twice. The game will scroll your player name at the bottom. Make sure you get some acknowledgment that his is "with" you in the game. You can also use in-game chat to periodically check that your opponent has not been disconnected.

Goldy

P.S. Wait! Did your opponent even appear in the game setup screen when you set the game options? If he didn't he was never "in" the game to start with.

P.P.S. Strategies for MP games are different than for quest play and freestyle. Fighting enemy heroes is different from fighting enemy monsters. Be careful when you play Steven. He has no mercy.

[ 16 April 2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I had a feeling it was my fault all along. Maybe I should have practiced setting up the game too

That isn't covered in the manual very well.

[ 16 April 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: wavefront ]

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

Goldy:
BTW:
Buddha

Look at the signature on your posts...

[ 16 April 2002, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: wavefront ]

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
I had a rogues guild a warriors guild, 3 markets and a guardhouse, when I upgraded the palace.

The wandering monsters were all undead and there were dozens of creature dens on the map.

I couldn't find his palace anywhere. The setting was Eliminate all Foes as I recall.

You should practice with Last Palace Standing, not Eliminate all Foes. Some of the building costs and multipliers change when you upgrade to LPS. It is difficult to build a zillion Mage Towers or ballista towers, unlike rpevious versions...

You were probably ok, upgrading to lvl 3 with 2 rogues and a rangers, but your econ...
You can get the same output from 2 markets and elves as you can from 4 markets, and it's much, much cheaper.
You can get the same output from 1 market, elves, 3 inns and a bazaar as from 4 markets, and the potions are much more helpful at the bazaar.
Cut down on the markets. Each one after the first reduces the output of ALL markets. You don't get 4 times the production, you get about twice.
2 Markets with Elves will do that.

Starsinmyeyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Pony goes to School Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
WoD HoD or the CoH.

Heh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: