Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Multi-Player Post-Mortems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
Steven,

Your post about economy left me in a bit of confusion. What are you recomending in lieu of the second market for non-rush games? Is it your suggestion that a single market with a magic bazaar, lots of inns (I assume this) and TP's is a preferred way to go? I quit going the TP route in MP games because experienced players knew about them and targeted them.

I am advocating pretty much that: Marketplace, fully-upgraded Magic Bazaar, 5 Inns, Fairgrounds and a TP.

TP strategy can be tailored to reduce the damage an opponent can do. The temptation is to build the TP as far from home as possible, to make use of the distance-cash relationship. The further a Caravan must travel, the more it's worth at the Marketplace.

Good TP strategy can involve the following: Build your marketplace futher from home. Let's say you're starting in the upper left corner. Build the marketplace a few buildings-space down the left of the map. If you're rushing to lvl3, you won't be building a marketplace right away, anyway, and houses may take yp that space. You lose a day or two of Market use (proper Palace Rush should see a Lvl3 Palace by mid-day on day 3) Build the Market, Magic Bazaar, Guardhouse and a couple of inns, all centred on the guardhouse, in a block, once you're at level 3, or while at level 2 waiting for your 12th hero to be recruited.

Now, you can build a TP on the top of the map, to the right of your palace, at the minimum distance necessary. And, when ready, put a warrior's guild down right next to it, with the entrance/exit next to the TP. This allows instant defense with Call-To-Arms.

Call-to-arms makes defense easy, and the proxomity to home means you may get less cash, but TP defense is easier. Also, enemies go crazy trying to trash the TP (it takes them longer to find since it isn't in the corner) and run into defense there. When I still knew what I was doing, I would have the Helia Temples there, plus a Guardhouse (to take advatange of Garrisoning) and move the Rangers' Guild there, too. A TP, even at Mimimum distance, operating from day 3, will make you a lot of cash.
quote:

Second, you make no mention of earthquake.

See above!

quote:

That brings me to Wallstreet. Do you still use it in MP games or is it too risky "to put all your eggs in one basket" so to speak considering the availabilty of earthquake?

Goldy

I still build Wall Street, but the Bazaar has become an essential part. I plan further ahead, too. I maximize my use of the Gate spell by having all the buildings people frequent as near as possible. So, Wall Street now is usually Marketplace, Bazaar and 3 Inns around a Guardhouse. Just outside this ring will be another guardhouse, with a Fairgrounds, Royal Gardens and another Inn or two. Where these two rings intercept, on one side or the other, goes the Abode.
An additional Warrior's Guild goes within Gate range. This means that people going to: Marketplace, Bazaar, Fairgrounds and available for Call to Arms at the WG are all within Gate Range.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Wall street being simply a guardhouse and 5 Inns is no longer necessary, as tha Bazaar makes a ton of money.
I don't see a lot of Earhtquake online. Most of the current crop of people are interested in Solarii, and maybe lvl 1 abode for the Change of Heart. Consequently they miss such strategies as: Gating in; Earhtquake; trashing all the peasants and gnomes with Ice Field or Chain Lightning.

I have been thinking about a new twist to my Krolm-in-the-Corners straetgy, which I'm going to try out on some lucky person.

The idea, of course, is that if you populate a map with creatures in the middle, a Krolm rush won't be viable, as it isn't through the middle of Eldritch Circles. Well, I found a way around that.
Krolm-in-the-corners involves this strat: Build rogues, build gnomes, upgrade palace. Send Rogues to map corners. Clear way to corner with Rogues versus lairs (they'll hit anything for 100 Gold).
At lvl 2 Palace, build Rangers' Guild at home, build at least 2 Krolm Temples in the corner, either one.

The cool things about gnomes is that they'll build anything they can as soon as they come out of their hovel. So, you put a building down, recruit a gnome, and he'll race to start the construction. So, as you put those Krolms in the corner, recruit gnomes. They race all the way across even a large map to build those Krolm Temples.
Once you have the 2 Krolms up, start recruiting Barbs, and lay a 100 Gold trail of explore-flag breadcrumbs into the opponent's corner. Be sure to flag lairs on the way. This allows Barbs to group together every now and than before moving on to the enemy.

Once you find his town, target something and RoK. AND, here's the new twist, Move the Rangers' Guild into the middle of the enemy town, preferably near something aggressive, like a Warrior's Guild. As soon as the Rangers' Guild is being attacked, any Barbarian not already in Hero/Lair combat will race to the Rangers' Guild defense. In theory...

Krolm-in-the-Corners gave me one of the most satisfying moments, when River_Relic got extremely pissed to be RoKed by 8 Barbs in his town, on Eldritch Circles on day 4. I was accused not of being cheap, for using Krolm, but told I had to be cheating. Hopefully this twist with the Rangers' Guild will make it even deadlier.

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Steven Of Nine)

All your base are belong to us.

Golem XV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

basicly i go for quanitly more then quality which basicly means instead of building things like fairground instead i would be a second or third temple to helia 2 - 3 lvl 4 heroes should easily be able to take on a lvl 8 - 12 lvl hero of the same type bar wizard
and also i was really worried that you would do an earthquake steven
and also steven is right the best economy for a short term mp game 20 - 30 days is one market one tp a wall street a royal gardens and a fairgrounds the magic bazaar is a little cost ineffective imo cause its a bunch of money and the heroes dont usually buy shapeshifting and if they do it seems that only the wizard and the priestess use it effectively

------------------
The King of typos and Streamofconciousness

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there's a disagreement. Shapeshift I don't worry so much about, it's the Invisibility potion that heroes use. Invisibility and Speed are the 'fear' potions, and any hero running in terror will use one of these, sometimes both, to get away. They get used a lot.

Royal Gardens not only makes a lot of money, but provides the beneficial random spell.

------------------

Golem XV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

i would rather have the other heroes chase the fleeing hero closer to my town so that i can get more of my heroes to attack your heroes the only danger in that is ranged attackers and of course that is why i like to build 2x rangers guild and 2x rogues guild

------------------

Son of the Dragon King

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

My strategy?

I build the following in order:
Market, Rangers Guild, Warriors guild, Blacksmith, Inn. Then I surround my small kingdom with guard towers (2 layers if possible). I place a bounty on my own castle and watch as my opponent loses money as he tries to recruit heroes to destroy my biulding. Then I destroy his market place, upgrade my castle, build Fervus and Krypta temples, Wizards giuld, elves or dwarves, then a library and three statues, then I place 100k bounties on the enemy biuldings and double it by another 100 when I can spare it. Instant victory!

------------------
"Why am I known as the Son of the Dragon King?
It all started when the godess; Krypta and the Immortal Dragon; Vendrak
were married. They loved one another, and became one. Soon they had a child. His name was Micah. Krypta sent her son to the realm of valmorgin, there he was raised by the priestess' during his childhood.
During the steps of his manhood he was trained by the rangers of Loredia. I am that child, I am Micah, Son of the Dragon King!

Golem XV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

with cheats right

------------------

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

SotDK, I'm looking forwrad to playing you... apparently you're confused. How exactly are those Guardhouses going to help?

------------------

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

No. No. I want to. Why do you get the fun, Steven?

Goldy

------------------
"I'm the first dog to ever see a rainbow and none of the other dogs believe me." - Stuart, Kate and Leopold

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Korben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

SotDK, well hmm..
I don't want to be in your pants when you battle against such skilled players as the two above, they will monstrously flatten your Majesty's town in no time.

I haven't played Majesty in over 3 weeks, I've been playing Empire Earth which has the rookie time going. So there it's still possible to try everything without looking like complete fool. (I'd rather use the other word starting with a)

SotDK you seem to write much, stop once to think if it all is necessary... no offence

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
No. No. I want to. Why do you get the fun, Steven?

Goldy

Alright, we'll play him in a 3-player, coop, so his guardhouses will actually be useful, and take turns...

------------------

Golem XV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

awww come on what bout me i want to get some thrashing in to

------------------

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

I'll thrash you this weekend, how's that?

------------------

Golem XV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

sounds good

------------------

Son of the Dragon King

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
SotDK, I'm looking forwrad to playing you... apparently you're confused. How exactly are those Guardhouses going to help?

Well unless you start off with high level heroes, the guardhouse will temporaly ward off the guys. As for expierience? In the Zone everybody calls me the dragon of the zone. Or Zonedragon. My real username is Dragonlord976 because of my tatics. I have only lost ten games in my seven year profession. My latest lost was in the year 2000. when I first played a majesty multi. When the zone disbanded the game, I sharpened it with multis with friends, and random expert levels.

Korben

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Multi-Player Post-Mortems Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Son of the Dragon King:
Well unless you start off with high level heroes, the guardhouse will temporaly ward off the guys.

Come play to GSA (GSA is free), there are the best players of Majesty/MajExpansion.

And as for guardhouses at a LPS game they don't have arrows, so their defensive use is quite limited. You'll never get 200 000 gold at an online game to do those flagings either

I believe you can win your friends allways, but try beating Goldy_Bear or Shiny Pony or Golem or even me (I sometimes win some of them) If you are so good that you tell, I bet you can win some games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: