Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

sooo slooowwwww

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsistler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:59 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

why is multiplayer majesty soooo slooowww?? i'm trying to play on my LAN with a dual p3 1GHz w/512MB RAM as server and it's a PAINFULLY slow game. the other 2 computers are a p3 910 w/512MB RAM and 750 T-Bird w/512MB RAM. all 3 with GF2s. we've got expansion packs and all are updated to update #3, not 4. please help. and by slow, i mean a 40-day game at top speed takes about 2 hours. SLLOOWWWWWWW.......

Tajma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 7:32 am    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

It seems rather obvious that your systems are not slowing down the game (if the specs are correct).

Majesty isn't a very fast paced game. Unlike Quake or Unreal, or even highest-speed StarCraft where almost every second counts, Majesty is a more ... relaxing gaming experience.

So, unless your purpose to post this is to brag about your computers, you'll have to live with the fact that Majesty offers a slower game play.

------------------
Tajma

This issue no longer equals total logic.

dsistler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 6:52 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

no, not at all. all 3 of us have played single player quests and it runs a whole lot faster. in 1-man, the peasants usually build at 2 hits/sec, about. whereas in the multiplayer, the peasants build about 1 hit every 5-10 seconds on the same speed setting. in my opinion, it's incredibly obvious it's the networking code for majesty, i was just wondering if there was a way to fix it and hopefully someone else is experiencing this and has a work-around. btw, 100MBit lan too. i just wanted to make sure someone didn't just say "oh, it's your computer."

plleeeeease help! relaxing is one thing, painfully slow is another.

Apple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 10:13 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

Suggestion:
Limit the number of heroes to, say, 6 heroes per player. See if there's any difference...

dsistler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 10:24 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

ok, judging from the beginning of our games, that would work. however, judging from the end of our games, we would always die with so few heros.

Apple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 10:31 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

Not so. I had designed a Freestyle Quest where one possible solution was to nurture one hero. I had so much fun saying, 'Behold my Avatar!' whenever I cast Vigilance on my only Monk. The only trouble is that one hero will take some time to clear the map.

Suggestion:
Select a Freestyle Quest with Werewolves and/or Vampires. These monsters go for your heroes so you'd have less problems protecting your town and have only to concentrate on your small number of heroes. Just watch out for Ratmen.

dsistler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 10:34 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

ok, thanks for the tips, BUT, how do you limit the number of heros?? couldn't find that option anywhere in multiplayer.

Apple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:29 am    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

By a Mutual Gentleman/Gentlelady's Agreement!

[This message has been edited by Apple (edited 29 April 2001).]

dsistler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 1:00 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

well, i'm not exactly what you want, but.. we're connected to a cable modem so all 3 computers have dynamics ips. we go through a 10/100 full-duplexing, 8 port switch. all 3 of us have full-duplexing NICs. mine is a 3COM, another is an Intel, the 3rd is a trinnet or something like that. i don't think any of us have anything but TCP/IP installed. and all 3 of us are running win2k.

Tajma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 2:37 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played Majesty in quite a while, so I'm sure about multiplayer game anymore.

But from your description, it doesn't sound like you have IPX (the stuff that's normally called "Local Network" in games).

How are you playing against each other then? Do you connect to an outside server, or play directly on the LAN?
(eg if you unplug the cable modem, can you still play multiplayer?)

------------------
Tajma

Time is not your enemy, forever is.

Tajma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:26 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

This is interesting.

Can you describe your local LAN settings? (to the best possible detail, physical network and Windows settings)

------------------
Tajma

deceiver

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 10:35 pm    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

"Local Network" doesn't always mean the IPX protocol. TCP/IP can also be used for LAN use. Most newer games uses the TCP/IP protocol, and I would imagine Majesty would too.

Tajma

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 6:03 am    Post subject: sooo slooowwwww Reply with quote Back to top

Deceiver, did you actually check?

I'm rather curious about this myself, haven't seen any game that utilizes TPC/IP for "local network" multiplayer (The newest multiplayer game I've played is Red Alert 2).

------------------
Tajma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: