Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Expansion MP Thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:23 am    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

Well, last night, after months of waiting for the expansion, and then days of waiting for GSA to get the room up, I finally got to play multiplayer MajX!!!!!

Excellent fun. We had the usual minor gamestart problems, due to Golem's PC's selective choice in whose game it would actually join, but Golem, Kit and I managed a 2v2 game with some unknown entity calling itself DeCorn. Kit got to play with DeCorn, of course. We had to handicap him somehow. Apparently, he hadn't played a lot of MP, or come to the forum, much, as he proceeded to instruct the three of us on how to play the game... well, enough of that.

The most enjoyable new aspects of the game involve the Magic Bazaar and the Sorcerer's Abode. The Bazaar is a money-printing machine, with the combined bonus of making heroes stronger. Shapeshift and Regeneration are big sellers among the weaker heroes; speed tonic makes near-death heroes capable of escape. The Abode, of course, is the source of all the exciting new spells, and between us, we cast them all, as often as we could find the cash.

DeCorn dropped after a while, but ever game, Kit stayed in to fight the both of us. I always wanted to be the first kid on my block to Gate in to someone's castle in MajX multiplayer. I got to do that. Kit apparently always wanted to be the first kid on his block to completely snuff out a Gate attack with multiple Lightning Storms. He did that.
I just didn't want to wait to Anti-Magic Shield all my heroes before I sent them. Ouch.

Especially crucial in the game is creation of a hero gap. That is, eliminating your enemy's better heroes whilst saving yours, thereby creating a power gap he can't overcome. The Abode's Change of Heart spell is critical for that, now. Several times, an enemy would run from someone in terror, only to be CoHed ad march to his doom. Similarly, strong enemies were turned aside.
And Chain Lightning can be used in the manner of Fire Strike. Sometimes, 2 or more tax collectors will approach a drop off at the same time... It can be a gamble, spending that 1200, but if you've seen where they got the cash from...

When the power of Kit's economy leant credence to his Lightning defense, Golem and I struck from afar. We hit a marketplace with 2 Earthquakes. Whence comes another tip. If two of you want to take down a marketplace with Earthquakes (150 damage each will take down a 300 HP marketplace) wait until one Quake is done before launching the other. While both are in operation, the Market only suffers damage from one.

Also, it seems crucial that in 2v2, one of you takes Lunord and the other takes Helia. It might be nice, I thought, if I could Fire Strike some of Kit's tax collectors. But all I had to do was tell Golem, and he did it for me. That allowed my Lunord spells to clear peasants from their rebuilding. (Or, in one case, when they were mere points away from finishing a Helia Temple, I Wind Stormed all 6 of Kit's peasants away..)

With only the one drop, by DeCorn, we played out a 4-player game, at a decent speed, with two of us filling the map with skeletons, and all of us throwing spells. For one game, at least, stability was better than usual.

"I'll be back!"

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Of Nine)

"Romance is not a malfunction"
- Kes, "Lifesigns"

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:10 am    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! They played without me!

Poor DeCorn. He didn't know what he was stepping into. He had had a co-op game with me the night before. Guess he thought since he had played the night before he would explain it to you all. LOL. Poor guy was definitely outclassed, but clueless. I never assume anything about ANY MP players I don't know. As soon as I do, I am immediately embarrassed. Ah well, at least he was the handicap and not me. You guys didn't have to be on the spot figuring out who would draw Goldy_Bear. Oops! Who would draw me. Sorry about that third person Steven.

Goldy

P.S. Now back to Spires of Death where I can be embarrassed by the computer.

------------------
"The Law of the Forum Mommy is above all others." - Xetu the Strong

[This message has been edited by Goldy_Bear (edited 04 April 2001).]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Kit5150

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:19 am    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

That was easily the most fun ive ever had getting stomped. Oddly, right before the end of the game, long after my pard dropped, the heroes I did have left were all going toe-to-toe with one of my pards paladins.

Between golems frost fielded WoDs and ponys 20+ hero gates supplemented with horrendous tornadoes, I was pretty easy pickings. Lucky for me, they would announce where they were going to cast earthquakes:

"Get the one closer to you!"
"Who first?"
"You"
"Now?"
"Now!"

BOOM!

The 2x2 was very playable though (until pard left), and that made it all worthwhile. I'm looking forward to getting back into multiplayer; my girlfriend isn't.

see ya on GSA!

[This message has been edited by Kit5150 (edited 04 April 2001).]

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:40 am    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

That was a great report, Sof9. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and jump in to a game. I hate hooking up that damn modem, but it sounds like I'll have to.

------------------
- Jay Adan
- Cyberlore Studios

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 1:52 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

Ahem, Golem and Steven, read the Readme file....

Multiplayer Changes
General Multiplayer Additions
Team Chat: You can append or prepend "/t" to the chat text to target team members only. You can also type "TEAM CHAT ON" and then all following chats will automatically target only team members. If you are in "team only" mode you can use "/a" to target all players. You can type "TEAM CHAT OFF" to resume normal mode (chats default to go to all players).

Goldy

P.S. Then again, you guys probably new this and figured it didn't make any difference since Kit was outmanned. I warned Kit that he was going to end up in a 2 on 1 game. Sounds like he was a good sport.

P.P.S Change of Heart question. If you cast it on enemy hero to send him to his doom can your opponent re-change the hero's mind with his own Change of Heart spell?

------------------
"The Law of the Forum Mommy is above all others." - Xetu the Strong

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 5:08 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

I watched part of this game last night and I have to tell you... easily the funniest part of the whole thing was the newbie "instructing" KIT, GOLEM and SHINY on "How To Play A Majesty Multiplayer Game". What a freakin' hoot. I almost wet my britches.

Oh, Goldy... they knew about the Team Chat thingy... Steven had me scrambling all over the house, looking for the Readme printout. He couldn't remember the codes.

As far as the Enemy CoH spell thing... Good idea... definitely something to test out ASAP.

Anyhoo... it was a ton of fun on this end, listening to Steven's comments during the game. He kept hollering at me to come watch while he gated his booty-whuppers to Kit's palace. Kit's the Ultimate Good Sport.

- Twy

------------------
Not really a Royal Advisor. I'm just the Forum Mommy!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Golem XV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

i have tested it out it is in my artical

------------------
The King of Typos and Streamofconciousness is here

Kit5150

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:04 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

yes, if you cast CoH on an enemy hero, thus making her flee, the other sovereign can cast it again and make her go back

obviously, vice versa as well.

Golem XV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:33 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

it was funny when kit and i would play ping pong with a hero

------------------

Golem XV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:48 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

i want to play an lps game with someone to see what kind of damage the stuff will do in there like the solarii's jammer and weather or howl of discord will do more damage and other stuff one thing that i did learn from that game is that howl of discord can be resisted through magic resistance

------------------

Kit5150

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 12:18 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

one thing i really like about the Change of Heart spell is that regardless of who casts it, if the spell is cast on one of your heroes, you can always hear it.

i was cracking up while scrolling around the screen in a 4 player large map game trying to find the hero that was either whipping too much booty or was being sent to her death.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 1:59 pm    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

Wonder if the [backspace] will clue you in, like the last hero to speak...

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Of Nine)

- Kes, "Lifesigns"

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 8:36 am    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

Hitting backspace after you hear the heartbeat of this spell will centre the screen on the hero who was affected.

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Of Nine)

- Kes, "Lifesigns"

Golem XV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 8:59 am    Post subject: Expansion MP Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

that really helps out a lot in mp games

------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: