Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 1:59 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Xus,

I think we both did. They are basic to the KROLM Rush on small map no monsters.

In the Eldritch Circle game, neither of us did.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Xus Amegoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 2:09 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

I can't wait for NE so I can hear, "I am a champion!" and have the little gnome really mean it.

------------------
I look into the mirror; the Warrior's all I see.
------------------
Scions of Correction: If You're Wrong, We'll Fix It. If We're Wrong, So What?

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:49 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Recent experience in playing a game with Twylah has me revisiting this topic.

I REALLY like Rangers, particularly in the beginning of the game. Their luck early on can lead to a win against an evenly matched or even superior opponent.

We were playing Eldritch Circles (our favorite) and Twylah immediately scoped out a corner and planted a trading post and warrior's guild. The luck to which I am referring in this particular game is that Twylah's Rangers found the corner first. I had placed explore flags in both corners while still recruiting my four Rangers. But my Rangers decided to daudle around town waiting for healing potions.

As a result Twylah's initial luck turned into a loss for her. My first Ranger (with 5 healing potions) arrives in the corner just after she planted her two buildings. Two 100Gold attack flags and she is immediately down one Warrior's Guild and Trading Post at the outset. My lucky Ranger proceeds immediately to her town and takes out a newly planted Temple to Dauros. The Ranger continues to bedevil her town for a time without taking any other buildings. But the effect is that she has to take time and resources to get the bugger and her build is interrupted.

Thank you Rangers. Your luck gave me the chance to beat Twylah. The only way to beat her these days is with a serious advantage.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:07 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, for Pete's Sake, Goldy...

It's only a 3 hour drive down there. I may have to come down there and Meteor Storm you if you keep that up!

- Twy (Who's Not THAT Good... YET!)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Kit5150

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 8:28 am    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

heh heh heh....catfight!

this actually is a great topic as rangers seem to be the most common start guild or first guild placed...

anyway, as rangers are exploring, you will notice they stop and re-evaluate their actions about every 2 seconds (if youre really observative, like myself, they get a small chunk of experience, then usually continue exploring...usually). if you flag an enemy building in their line of sight for 100 gold, they will attack it instead of continuing to explore. the same holds true for creature dens, castles, etc. obviously, if the building has 1 hit point, it goes down in one shot.

hmmm, i smell an article

[This message has been edited by Kit5150 (edited 25 October 2000).]

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 9:37 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Catfight? I'm a bear and Twylah is a ....?

I can only think of two forum members with Kitty-cat handles. Hmmmm..... who might that be.

And, gee, Twylah. If you are going to meteor-storm me for complimenting you, I'd hate to think what would happen if I insulted you.

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2000 2:36 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Goldy Bear,

It would be a Meteor-Storm of hugs, honey.

And you embarassed me with the compliment... I don't take compliments well - especially (in my opinion) undeserved ones! Something I need to work on, I guess.

- Twy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2000 7:39 am    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Twylah Skye:
I don't take compliments well - especially (in my opinion) undeserved ones!

All your compliments are deserved, babes!

Ain't she sweet, everyone!?

Shiny_Pony

------------------
"Romance is not a malfunction"
- Kes, "Lifesigns"

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2000 1:06 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Sweeter than honey. And a bear should know.

Are you embarrassed yet, Twylah?

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2000 6:35 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Oh for God's Sake!!!!

Hush UP!!!

(covering her face in her hands and running to lock herself in the bathroom)

- Twy

Tiger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2000 12:11 am    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

Awww look, she's blushin'! Aint that sweet?

Animedragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2000 12:23 am    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

...'sweeter than bee pollen that blows in the wind'...
That line came from what fantasy movie?

------------------
***... when superstition and the sword ruled... ***

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 8:53 am    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

So, with the recent surge in the popularity (20 people on at noon last Sunday) and in the abilities of the Zone, I've had a chance to play some 3-4 player games without worrying that they'll lag to death by day 3 or simply drop half the combatants before the loading screen.

What can be learned from these games is similar to the tourney settings: if you put no wandering monsters or indigenous forces on the map, you're asking for somone to Krolm you.

Last night was a small map 3 player LPS, with 30k (silliness) and no enemy forces at all. So, the build order was: gnomes, rangers, market, market, rogues, lvl 2 palace, 2 Krolm, fill all the guilds (25 heroes: 9 gnomes,4 rangers, 4 rogues, 8 barbarians) and a trading post. Upgrade rogues guild to lvl 2, markets to 3.

By now my Rangers had discovered enemy towns, so, since one of the enemy had tagged a Krolm with an attack flag, he won the lotto. I put a mere 300 gold on his marketplace, and 6 barbarians went, F&S by 3 rangers. The other two barbs were busy killing some warriors they fell into an argument with in mid-map.

This was about day 4, and from then, until the end of about day 7 when the second player conceded, my men were in a constant state ot RoK.
I lost 11 heroes altogether, 2 of them barbs, most of them gnomes.

This does address Kit's posting mention of the overstrength of RoK. Under RoK barbarians took out every hero they faced in only 2 swings, unless one missed because the hero had run away. But I still don't think that it's overstrength. The mistake was in the settings. No enemy to harrass me in my town, or slow my units across the map meant that the primary ability of Barbarians: RoKing across the map to hit buildings, was not impeded in any way.
Also, giving a Krolm-player 30k is giving him the game. It allows him to set up an income: 2 lvl 3 markets fed by a trading post (although the game only lasted long enough for a couple of caravans) will almost allow Krolm players to RoK continuously. And, yes, the second player had priestesses, and taking out their guild was a PLEASURE.

Krolm remains a rush option. Had the map been large with enemy forces, I wouldn't have tried it. Although I was intent on using it on any small map. Barbarians are money grubbers, and will bore a direct hole through the map to make their way into enemy towns. If I'd thought the game would go on past 10 days I'd never have used them.

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Of Nine)

"Romance is not a malfunction"
- Kes, "Lifesigns"

[This message has been edited by Steven Of Nine (edited 16 November 2000).]

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 8:05 pm    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

No more lag, I hope. Goldy_Bear's new computer is up and running. If you see me online please offer me a game. I want to see how fun Majesty is with a faster computer.

Goldy

------------------
I'll be back......!

Kit5150

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 10:47 am    Post subject: Dumb Luck Rangers, Refex, or Lag? Reply with quote Back to top

i finally got off my tush and finished up my ranger article at MFO.

http://mrfixitonline.com/readPosting.asp?PostingId=222525

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: