Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Trouble with Multiplayer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:11 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Love2Play,

I sent you an extended email too long to post here on some of the problems I have encountered. Thank you for looking into this. I understand that this is a difficult problem. I believe that the firewall and router companies have the same problem. They cannot possibly explain to the end user how to configure the firewall for every online game and gameserver. The end result is that the gamer is caught in the middle having to figure out what port-forwarding, UDP and all that other jargon is.

With the increasing number of broadband users and the need for firewalls. I don't believe this problem is going to go away anytime soon.

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tajma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 9:41 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I read an article on The Linux Router Project about 6 months ago. The article acknowledged that LRP (Linux Router Project) couldn't work with Gamespy, since "GameSpy opened thousands of ports in a very brief period of time". LRP is a fairly stable product, and it works well with many applications...

Probably many hardware routers use the same NAT mechanism that LRP uses. If GameSpy could fix this problem it would be wonderful.

--
Tajma

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:17 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Downloaded the patch this evening. Played one game with someone named PickleDick (go figure). I joined his game while using my Router in DMZ host mode. Nice to know it works. Still can't host, but that was a known limitation. Now I wonder if that other Router would have worked....... No matter.

I still can't figure out how to configure the thing without using DMZ. Guess that is my next problem......

Goldy

------------------
I'll be back......!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Kit5150

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:34 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

i am currently very frustrated, and hope that GSA support address works.

ive been at this for a few hours now, and at the moment, not only can i no longer play majesty on GSA, i cant even enter the chat room.

the short story is i reinstalled GSA and now, cant download anything (i.e. majesty). it instantly freezes when i try to download any new features.

goldy, you may be able to help because i think its my DSL. do i need to somehow configure it?

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 9:30 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Kit,

you can contact me by email or set up a time to chat either through ZoneFriends or AIM. I don't turn them on automtically anymore but will tonight

Goldy

AIM screen name is basincerbox

LOL my email service is down. When it rains it pours

Goldy

Hey, Twylah! Give Kit my number.
------------------
I'll be back......!

[This message has been edited by Goldy_Bear (edited 05 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Goldy_Bear (edited 05 March 2001).]

Kit5150

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 1:11 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

*yawn*

short story - problem fixed

long story - back in the day when 56k AOL wasnt quite good enough, AT&T Worldnet struck my fancy. unfortunately, when i installed their software, it changed some windows .bat files that became permanently damaged. when i got DSL, the problems compounded.

IE could never recognize i was no longer using AT&T to connect to the internet. i got weird messages everytime i launched IE - asking me to work offline or try again (the latter always connecting eventually). this was carried over to GSA for some unknown reason and i could never download new files there. tonight, i screwed my computer up so badly, i had to use the restore CD and purge my whole system.

since majx is coming out soon, i figured i should remedy this asap. problem solved, cant wait!

now i gotta reinstall everything else i had (except aok & ra2)

[This message has been edited by Kit5150 (edited 06 March 2001).]

Tajma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:33 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Kit...

.bat files don't store Windows configurations :P It's most likely in the registry, some .ini files, or a non-standard way.

Anyway, if IE doesn't recognise your internet settings, I think running Internet connection wizard again will almost always fix the problem.

--
Tajma

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:53 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Good for you Kit,

I went through having to reformat and restore our business computer not too long ago. Unfortunately, I had to restore it back to its original OS Windows 98. I had updated for free to Windows 98 second edition last year by downloading from Microsoft Update. It now appears that Windows 98 second edition is no longer available from Microsoft. What's the big deal? Second Edition had file sharing (ICS) software built into it for simple home networks. Now it seems that what could be had for free last year, one must pay for by upgrading to Windows ME. Another gotcha, my new router which I have to have does not have firmware support for Windows ME.

Back to the subject at hand. I am happy you were able to solve your problems. Now can you come fix mine ? It seems that I reported in error to Jay that v1.4 fixed my problem. The one game I was able to join and play with Pickle immediately after the download appears to have been the anomally and the norm is Goldy_Bear cannot join games. The connection of the other gamer does not seem to be a factor. I played with half a dozen people yesterday. In every case I had them host first (no worky). In every case we were able to play if I hosted.

Jay indicated that he was worried that my problem is one of those computer specific things that are really hard to diagnose (cringe). I don't like hearing those words, they usually mean that if everyone else is doing fine the one person with the problem is on their own. In fact, several people have said to me that they have occassional problems joining games but I haven't run across anyone who has this problem as severely as I have it. River_Relic, with whom I must host to play, indicated that there was another gamer he "could not play with".

I would welcome a chance to play a game with you sometime soon.

See ya at GSA,

Goldy

------------------
I'll be back......!

Kit5150

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:01 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

dont feel like your problem is isolated, goldy. remember, i have the same problem - i can host games fine 100% of the time, but can only join a game someone else hosted about 25% of the time.

im not sure if that situation will change now that i have everything 'working' again. i guess time will tell.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:10 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Kit,

I would really like a chance to play a game with you some time soon. If you are having 25% success joining games, I would predict that odds are low that we will be able to play one. We ought to find out. Obviously, this would be done when I have my NAT Router disconnected so that there would be no doubt of firewall/router issues.

It would certainly help get this problem addressed sooner if we can show that I am not the only one with it.

Let me make clear from the outset that I consider it highly unlikely that this is a bug in the Majesty software. As you know, I have been playing Majesty for 6 months or longer online. I have never had anything but a cable modem connection. I was able to play for months at both Zone and GSA and never encountered this problem. As the Majesty software has remained unchanged in all that time, this indicates that this is a networking problem. The culprit if any is most likely GSA. This is only an opinion and I will be the first to admit it if I am wrong, but that is the way I see it right now.

Goldy

------------------
I'll be back......!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: