Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Trouble with Multiplayer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordgem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2001 6:25 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,
I am trying to get started on Multiplayer on Gamespy Arcade. When I go to launch my room, I get the following error message:
MAJESTY caused an invalid page fault in
module MAJESTY.ICD at 0167:00547b09.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=00547b09 EFLGS=00210206
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=008feaa4 EBP=012a51f0
ECX=83d560f8 DS=016f ESI=008fecf4 FS=4327
EDX=00642498 ES=016f EDI=01174338 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 10 50 ff 52 34 85 c0 0f 9d c0 c3 90 90 90 90
Stack dump:
83d560f8 00000004 004512b4 012a41a0 012a4188 008ffad8 00000000 011a7820 0128e490 0128e450 bff7b9c5 0128e250 0128e110 002550bf 4d995a3a 0319031a
Has anyone ever seen this or does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it. I am running with the version 3 patch on a cable modem. I do have a firewall , however I have tried this with both my protection up and down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gus

Blastoiseu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 7:19 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Does this happen everytime? If not try restarting yuor computer.

------------------

My poem concerning the NE quest "Powers of Chaos":

Powers of chaos hear my cry
For I'm the sovereign let your powers pry
You're weak and fraile like you always were
My powers will demolish you like a fire and fur

Korben

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 3:48 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

lol yeah for sure...
I'm IT and I have this one nailed
at my door... plz reboot... if not working
then knock on my door again...

But seriously many people has problems with multiplaying now, Cyber make a deal with the
"devil" again and let us play at Zone.
Korb

Aerith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:34 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Hi LordGem,

I am having the exact same problems you are having. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a fix either. Perhaps the patch that the lil birdie in an earlier post mentioned will fix the problem though.

Here are the stats on my machine.

Windows ME
Netgear router w/ @home cable modem service (yuk, but its my only choice in this area)
1.3 patch
P2 400, 256 megs o' RAM
80 gig hard drive

I can't get out from behind my firewall to test the router situation, so my guess is that its a router, game, or cable modem problem.

Apple

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:39 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Since no experienced player decided to answer, I'll put my inexperience:

There is a problem playing over at GSA since it requires some software. The software will be installed in your computer when you play at the Zone. Unfortunately, the Zone doesn't support Majesty anymore.

It was said that a patch (1.4?) will have these required software. Until then, I can only suggest that you install the Zone (just play any single game at the Zone that requires registration). You will be required to install some software to register. Hopefully, the software you will download contains what is needed to play at GSA.

If this doesn't work, post here as soon as possible before the rest of the world reads my 'inexperience'.

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:56 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good to me, Apple. I was thinking of suggesting that, but wasn't sure if any game at the Zone would give you the program to fix the problem.

- Twy

------------------
Not really a Royal Advisor. I'm just the Forum Mommy!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Jborton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2001 6:10 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the Zone Software is the key to this problem. Personally I did a full install of the software. I have a friend who did a "registration install" and got a little further but still crashes. told him to get the full and tell me what happens. Will update this thread when I know for sure.

Heres the link for the full install http://zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp?setuppage=complete
NOTE: if you havent downloaded the "registration install" yet, clicking this link will take you there and you will NOT get the full install. you have to come back and click the full download link again to get it.

Carch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 11:51 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I can attest that this does in fact work.

If you sign up for the Zone, then download the full install from the above link, then download gamespy arcade, you can then play (and host) multiplayer games on gamespy.

All the downloads are free (unless you want to pay gamespy $20 to turn off ads...), but it takes a loooooong time to download at modem speed, and the zone uses a dumb non-standard download method that doesn't allow you to minimize the window (though you can continue to work in other windows).

What you *can't* do is play at lames... I mean games.com, which is where you get sent by the Zone when you attempt to use the multiplayer interface in Majesty. I signed up and everything, but the Majesty page always says "no lobbies available".

_/\ C

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I thought my inability to play Majesty at GSA was due to my NAT Router. Last night I disconnected the Router and tried to play direct connect to my cable modem as I had been doing successfully at both Zone and GSA for months before getting the Router. No dice. It didn't work.

I tried following the advice in this thread by doing the complete install of the Zone software (don't know whether I had it already or not). For grins I also re-installed GSA. No dice.

These are the symptoms:

1) If I host a game I get to the game options screen buy my opponent never shows up.

2) If I join a game I see the Majesty Loading.... splash screen, there is a pause with the hourglass and then I am returned to the staging room with no error messages.

Anyone else have these problems? Any ideas? As I indicated, this happened even after I disconnected my NAT Router and connected directly to the cable modem (no firewall) so I have pretty much ruled out any Router or Firewall issues.

Goldy *slowly expiring from Majesty multi-player withdrawal symptoms*

------------------
I'll be back......!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 2:19 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Here is an update on Goldy_Bear's latest multi-player woes *sob, sniffle, sigh*.

River_Relic (that is his GSA name and I have never seen him post here) very kindly gave me way too much time trying to get my game working.

Working entirely with my NAT Router disconnected so I could be certain there were no firewall or Router issues, I was able to successfully host a couple of games with Relic. Hurray!!!!!!!!!!! you say. Well...... Sort of. I CANNOT JOIN A GAME WITH ANYONE! ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

I am consistantly experiencing the same problem regardless of who's game I try to join. After the launch I get as far as the splash screen that says Loading........ The cursor changes to the hourglass for a few moments and then I am returned to the staging room.

So now I can host a game as long as I disconnect my router first because as everyone knows you cannot host a game behind a firewall or NAT Router (and if you didn't know now you do). Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! The procedure for this requires that I unplug this cable here, that cable there, plug this cable back here, reboot, alter the properties of the TCP/IP protocol for my Ethernet Card and reboot again. This is the equivalent of tying myself into a pretzel in order to play Majesty.

Has anyone else experienced any similar problems trying to join a game?

I sure hope any additions they make to the expansion to solve the Zone/DLL file problems fixes this because I have run out of ideas to solve this.

Goldy

------------------
I'll be back......!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Kit5150

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 10:13 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

ive had similar problems ever since i got DSL.

while i can host a game with no problems, and people usually arrive in the game in record time, my computer has issues when i am joining a game someone else hosted.

the symptoms include freezing on the loading screen for about a minute or two, then the application suddenly terminates and i am back in GSA.

luckily, a simple restart usually suffices. upon restarting, i disable all non-mandatory applications running in the background (i.e. virus protection, etc.)

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 4:42 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info, Kit. I am not sure this is good news. It certainly sounds like the same problem, but as I indicated I am NEVER able to successfully join a game. River_Relic said that he had either DSL or cable modem (don't recall which), but I have tried with several different people. Did you get the sense that this problem was occurring with people that had slower connections or with just anyone? Relic and I did try after I had terminated my anti-virus program but this did not help me.

I was REALLY hoping that this was Zone/DLL problem that would magically be resolved once the expansion comes out. If it is not and is some other bug, I am effectively cut out of multi-player games.

I went for several months without a firewall of any sort to protect my cable modem connection. I know for a fact that this was unwise. There were several times that I was convinced that my computer was being scanned/accessed by someone from the Internet.

It also makes sense that DSL and Cable modems are the optimal types of Internet connections for playing Majesty and many other online games.

With those two considerations, it makes zero sense to me that GameSpyArcade is not making more of an attempt to accomodate people with firewalls. There is virtually no support for this by GSA beyond a single cryptic article listing what ports should be opened (they note that even then it might not work!).

Through the course of my researching these problems I have learned that GSA is the most difficult gameserver to get working through a firewall. This has been proven to me. My son all this time has been happily playing RedAlert2 on Westwood's server with no problems from either of the two NAT Routers I have tried. I might add that he is able to both host and join his games.

Many members of this forum have expressed their preference for GSA over Zone and have not counted the loss of the Zone as important. Jay Adan has announced that GSA currently is the only gameserver that will be supporting Majesty. I will respectfully have to disagree with those who are pleased with GSA. I am not impressed. Currently, there is no option for me to play Majesty on the Internet.

Goldy

------------------
I'll be back......!

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:17 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I'll see what I can do on my end and talk to the guys at GameSpy to see if they have a solution. The fact is that while I could NEVER play a game on the Zone through the Firewall here at work I do believe that I had been able to do it through GSA.

------------------
- Jay Adan
- Cyberlore Studios

Love2Play

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:46 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

We got the message about your thread here. I would personally like to invite anyone who has new information on firewalls or any issues to write to us at support@gamespyarcade.com

I personally handle our support mail. And we are certainly never under the impression we are perfect and appreciate any feedback and suggestions you have. I apologize our Firewall page does not supply more information, we simply haven't had the time or ability to write support for configuring the hundreds of firewalls, routers, proxies etc... out there. I know we can improve and would certainly like to hear from you all either through support mail or to my personal email address here.

We're on it guys and hopefully soon will have it all running smotth and pretty

Thanks so much for your support!

------------------
Love2Play
GameSpy Arcade Techsupport
http://www.gamespyarcade.com

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:01 am    Post subject: Trouble with Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Aerith:

Here are the stats on my machine.

Windows ME
Netgear router w/ @home cable modem service (yuk, but its my only choice in this area)
1.3 patch
P2 400, 256 megs o' RAM
80 gig hard drive

I can't get out from behind my firewall to test the router situation, so my guess is that its a router, game, or cable modem problem.

Aerith,

Please consult http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/gaming_help.htm

for answers to some of your Router questions. There is also information at that site about @home

Goldy

------------------
I'll be back......!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: