Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Mac vs. PC multiplayer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogue27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 9:39 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Apple did make (with the help of bungie) a cross-platform network protocol that works on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux. Most people dont' choose to use it.

TCP/IP is a standard that works on everything. Cyberlore didn't chose to use it, because it's a bit more work and they didn't know they were going to do a Mac version at the time.

DirectPlay (made by Microsoft) is a proprietary and warped version of TCP/IP that onlyworks windows versus windows. It gets used a lot because it is relatively easy and is part of the DirectX package, but it also makes it impossible to network Windows games with anything else. MS can get away with this because they have huge market share, and it hurts everyone else. It does suck though.

Maybe if we're really lucky, Cyberlore might re-do the network code for the Expansion. Not likely, but it's something to hope for.

------------------
Mac Heroes

UConnBBall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 3:13 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Personally the direct play connections have so improved upon TCP/IP that I don't care to go backwards in technology. If any of you have played Mech Warrior 4 you know that cable and phone connected players play on a pretty level field. No I am sorry this is a pain for Mac users, but Mac is not a gaming PC. I have other harsh feelings about Mac and Steve Jobs, but I will keep them to myself.

Well 2 things I can't help. Apple and Jobs were idiots not to see CD R technology as something "good." The G4 give me a break there most powerful computer with no room to expand. I Mac and apple as put form over function once again. I still see Apple slipping further and further down in the coming years.

No Harsh feelings

-UConn

Apple

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:01 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

(Maybe I should have called myself Orange or Guava instead...)

JediMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:32 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I know you said "no harsh feelings", but you didn't say "don't respond". So here goes:

The G4, in my opinion, is not unexpandable. How does is 4 PCI slots, 2 FireWire (aka IEEE 1394) ports, and 2 USB ports (plus 2 on the keyboard and 2 on the monitor) plus gigabit ethernet, CD-RW/DVD-R and all that "unexpandable" ? It may not be the most expandable computer in the world, but it's certainly not "unexpandable". If you disagree, I certainly respect that, but I'm kind of curious as to why.

The iMac. Now THAT'S unexpandable! (but it's aimed at consumers who don't know the difference between a PCI slot and a USB port).

I'll agree somewhat that the Mac is not a gaming platform. We have almost every big game out there, but we lack many small games or racing games.

Macs have their place (almost anything graphics-related, schools [due to ease-of-use ], etc.), and so do PCs (games, overall software selection, etc). The fact is, both are very good machines, albeit aimed at different audiences.

I have no harsh feelings toward Microsoft (no more than the average person), as even they are supporting Macs. I have no hard feelings against any PC users. I do, however, have an issue with (what I see as) uninformed potshots at my platform of choice.

*looks up at entire message* Ok...I'm getting carried away...I'll stop now...

-Michael <--- NOT trying to start yet another platform war

FFDREAM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 12:30 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it'll be all over in a few years any way, Microsoft will make the first pc gaming console, of wait, they have . Then their won't be pc's or apple's, cause everything will be Microsoft.
And It will be good.
MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

------------------
He who plays more, talks less.

JediMike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 2:20 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

True, true. *bobs head*

------------------
--------------------
He who laughs last
thinks slowest.

rogue27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by UConnBBall:
Personally the direct play connections have so improved upon TCP/IP that I don't care to go backwards in technology. If any of you have played Mech Warrior 4 you know that cable and phone connected players play on a pretty level field. No I am sorry this is a pain for Mac users, but Mac is not a gaming PC. I have other harsh feelings about Mac and Steve Jobs, but I will keep them to myself.

Well 2 things I can't help. Apple and Jobs were idiots not to see CD R technology as something "good." The G4 give me a break there most powerful computer with no room to expand. I Mac and apple as put form over function once again. I still see Apple slipping further and further down in the coming years.

No Harsh feelings

-UConn

That was the most uninformed post I've ever read.

Anyway, whatever, ignorance can't be cured by those who don't care to see.

Anyway, Direct Play does not speed up modems or cable connections, and if you think that it does, you are very confused.

Good network code and efficient packet sending algorithms make network games run good, and that can be done with any protocol.

Besides, even Cyberlore said they won't use Direct Play again.

But I really know I'm wasting my time making this post.

------------------
Mac Heroes

[This message has been edited by rogue27 (edited 01 March 2001).]

rogue27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:40 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by FFDREAM:
Well, it'll be all over in a few years any way, Microsoft will make the first pc gaming console, of wait, they have . Then their won't be pc's or apple's, cause everything will be Microsoft.
And It will be good.
MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Um, computers do a whole lot more than just play games...

------------------
Mac Heroes

JediMike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 1:05 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. The personal computer is not going away anytime in the forseeable future.

However, I'm kind of interested in the XBox, simply because it's made by a computer software company, and so should be more like a computer (?).

Also, console games and computer games are fundamentally different: why? Consoles are made to be played on the couch, and so HAVE NO MOUSE. This makes such as (you guessed it) StarCraft (or Majesty!) almost unplayable. Computers will always have a place in our working and playing lives (IMO).

But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here, so I'll just stop now.

------------------
--------------------
He who laughs last
thinks slowest.

[This message has been edited by JediMike (edited 01 March 2001).]

rogue27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:32 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I think the xbox will be a pretty good gaming machine, I just haven't owned a console since the Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis years. In fact, I don't own a TV anymore. Or a Stereo.

But I do have a laptop that can somewhat replace all of those things and do so much more.

X-Box will not hurt computers in general and will only slightly impact them as gaming machines. The people that need to be scared of the X-Box aren't Apple or Dell, it's Sony and Nintendo.

(but I also think Nintendo's GameCube has some potential)

------------------
Mac Heroes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: