Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Mac vs. PC multiplayer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 6:24 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, maybe there's something about it on the site, but I didn't see it :)

I'm considering buying Majesty, but I just need to be sure of one thing: You CAN play Mac vs. PC games, right? I mean, StarCaft does it, so I assume Majesty does too.

Thx.
-Michael Kelly

------------------
--------------------
He who laughs last
thinks slowest.

Jared

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2001 12:46 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent question! And if I might add to it can a Mac user play the demo against a PC user with the full version?

Kit5150

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2001 8:43 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

unfortunately, no and no.

mac users must play mac users and PC users must play PC users. i dont know if cyberlore plans on changing that or not.

also, you cannot play multiplayer with the demo for either mac or PC. there have been patches released that were not incorporated into the demo, thus, no multiplayer.

JediMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Ooooooooh, ouch. Well, Cyberlore, if you're out there, ya just lost my 35 bucks! It's back to StarCraft for me :)

Thanks, everyone!
-Michael Kelly

------------------
--------------------
He who laughs last
thinks slowest.

Blastoiseu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 7:04 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

This should also be on the wishlist.

------------------
Why are you looking here?

Signature v1.5

Foldalake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I think the most simple way to solve this problem is to:
1) Sell Mac
2) Buy PC
3) Play Majesty

JediMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 5:53 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

I have one simple question about that: W.H.Y.? I don't need to downgrade (I alot of money tied up in my comp) just to play Majesty. The fault is in Majesty, not my comp. Plus, I can just play StarCraft.

I just hope this doesn't start a Mac-PC argument. We all just have to accept that fact that some people have PCs, other have Macs. There are advantages to both. Bitching (can I say that?) and whining about the other OS does NOT do any good.

------------------
--------------------
He who laughs last
thinks slowest.

Apple

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:14 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Here's another simple solution:
1) Sell PC
2) Buy Mac
3) Play Majesty

The word from someone in Cyberlore here.

Carch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 2:38 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

If you want someone to blame, blame Apple & Microsoft for making a broad technology sharing agreement some years ago, and then not following through with a cross-platform network gaming API.

The sad thing is, all the pieces are there (NetSprocket has been open source for some time, and DirectPlay is built on portable APIs), it's just that nobody at either company cares if they're compatible ;-(

_/\ C

[This message has been edited by Carch (edited 31 January 2001).]

Apple

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 2:57 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

ME!?

JediMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 11:05 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

That is true. However, companies such as Blizzard have made cross-platform gaming (through a company-specific protocol) the norm. This workaround is not available to companies that don't have the resources to mainain a network (which isn't even necessary if you already have a PC-compatible API).

IMHO, this hinges on either Microsoft or Apple (and we can be pretty sure it'll have to be Apple) adopting the other's standard API. I'm pretty sure this will happen sometime, but the big question is...

...when?
Until then, it seems like we have to stick with battle.net and bungie.net, for cross-platform games and GameRanger for others.

------------------
--------------------
He who laughs last
thinks slowest.

Gandalf465

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 3:08 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

If there was a cross platform gaming port compatible with both Mac and PC would there be an issue? i.e. GameRanger available for PC?

As long as I am able to continue to find good competitive matches on GameRanger I am a happy Mac Gamer!

------------------
Gandalf465

Carch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 11:04 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf465:
If there was a cross platform gaming port compatible with both Mac and PC would there be an issue? i.e. GameRanger available for PC?

Unfortunately, no. The problem is that the network "language" spoken by the Mac and the PC versions are very different. Even if you could hook up via GameRanger, the Mac and PC versions of Majesty wouldn't be able to talk to each other.

_/\ C

Gandalf465

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 2:58 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Too bad, Would that not revolutionize the online gaming world and tremedously help Mac out in the gaming market?!

Perhaps one day.

------------------
Gandalf465

JediMike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:03 pm    Post subject: Mac vs. PC multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

For now it seems like the best we have is battle.net and such.

Of course, the average person you meet on GameRanger is alot more intelligent than the average b.net user, which makes for more enjoyable games on GR.

Dunno of that made any sense. I still ain't buyin' Majesty 'til I can play againt my PC-using...er...aquaintences...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: