Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Solution to Airships, Boats, Seige Machines, Horses, and Fly
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I object! Water just doesn't fit with Warlocks, any knid of Warlock. Warlocks are for war, and Water isn't a path of magic that supports war. War can be associated with fire, chaos, death, nature; but not Water. Water flows, eases, aids, guides, creates, slowly rots; but it doesn't go with the quick destruction of war.

Warlocks must have a different a different path; fire perhaps, air maybe. But Water is not for them, whatever kind of Warlock.

In my most un-humble opinion.

Cooker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: flood Reply with quote Back to top

I think flood does more damange then fire.

Lurn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps. But does it have the fierce determination, the fearsome appearance, or simply vengeful sound and feel of, say Fire? No. Water can be applied as destruction, but it certainly isn't the element of destruction and/or war. Fire, chaos, nature, death, those are the paths of war.

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, but are warlocks for war? Do not be deceived by their name. The etymology derives from an ancient word meaning "traitor", because warlocks were supposed to have sold out their mortal kindred to the devils. That's why, actually, I thought of water -- water in its aspect of slowing wearing away, of rotting, as you put it. Warlocks work in secret, slowly dissolving society from within. And don't forget ice. Frozen water is a lot more deadly then it sounds. Deadlier in an up-front confrontation, ice also has the aspect of slowing eating at things.

Lurn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Again, perhaps so. But, as you say, Warlocks are both masters and servants of devils/demons, which in turn are associated with Fire and blood magic. Admittedly, some demons are 'ice devils', but these are far in the minority, so Warlocks should be masters of Fire and blood magic, like their demon master/servants.

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but it could be argued that, precisely because the demons use fire, they went their servants to use water. Sort of balance their forces. Also, I partly proposed water because the Wizards already use fire, and I conceived the Warlocks as primarily anti-Wizard. Blood magic now ... that's different. What exactly did you have in mind?

Lurn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, you know, the normal evil magic style. Sacrificing people to demons to get their attention (for good or bad), cross-breeding races into twisted monsters, summoning glowing-eyed, armored demon knights on nightmare horses, etc. You know, something like in Dominions II.

And, demons (if the Fire/blood ones, that is) wouldn't have access to Water magic, so how would they gift/curse their servant/masters with it? It seems much more likely they would give them Fire and/or blood magic.

Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They wouldn't. The Warlocks would just learn it on their own. I mean, the Wizards aren't "gifted" with their spells from a higher power, are they? Although, it is true that Warlocks would proabbaly learn some things from their masters ...

Lurn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly. I can imagine a Warlock having magic of his own, as obviouly he would need some to even speak/deal with demons, but his magic would probably be demonic/fiery/bloody in nature, to contact demons.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The help button for the Temple of Agrela states that water is sacred to the Healers. It's symbolism is one of healing and rebirth.
Water mainly tends to rot things that are already dead. All part of y'know, nature's cycle. Smile

Falotar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's what it symbolizes to Healers. Who knows what it might symbolize to somebody else?
Didn't we have this conversattion before?

Lurn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

But, you know, Alfryd's right. Water rots mainly dead things; wood, which is dead; dead bodies, which are (obviously) dead; and (slowly) hide, which is made from dead animals. So, basically, water cleanses the world. Admittedly, ice is different, but ice is more a product of cold than a product of water, in my opinion.

So, basically, I think water is too 'nice' of an element of magic for Warlocks to practice.

Falotar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tell that to somebody whose home's been destroyed by a flood. All elements can be perverted, and if water's not one you would ordinarily link with evil, then all the more reason to use it as such in Majesty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: