Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Helpful Tips for New Folks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 10:20 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all... I thought I'd post some friendly tips and hints for new members and visitors.

Topic Searching
The Majesty website has a great search engine. Before creating a new thread, please do a search and make sure there isn't already an active thread about your topic. The search-hyperlink is located at the top of the main forum page and at the top of each topic page. You'll find it listed with the Profile, Registry, Preferences and FAQ hyperlinks. Simply click on "search" and then enter a keyword. Example: If you need help with a quest, try typing part of the quest title and search the "Quest Tips & Tricks" topic. You will have more success with the Search function if you search ONE topic at a time instead of the entire Forum.

Post Date-Range
Unless you change your Preferences, only posts within a certain date-range will show up under each topic. To see topics from later dates, go to the drop-down menu at the top of the main forum page or the top of each topic page. You can choose to see topics that have been active for only a few days or see topics from a few months ago, 100 days, a year, or see all the topics ever posted to that particular board. If you want to change your date-range permanently, click on "preferences" and change the view-range on the drop-down menu there.

Topics
If you have a comment or question, please make sure you post it in the appropriate area. If you need help with Quests, post to the "Quest Tips & Tricks" board. If you need help with online gaming, choose the "Multiplayer Majesty" board. If you need system or tech help, post your question or concern on the "Tech Support" board. And so on and so forth. You'll get a faster, more complete answer if your post is in the right area. Please keep "Majesty Discussions" on the "Majesty" boards and post your non-Majesty conversations in the "Non-Majesty Discussion" area - like book reviews and personal stuff, y'know? Just an advance warning, though... if you create a new thread in a specific topic and later return to find it missing, check the other topics -- more than likely, your thread was deemed more appropriate for a different topic and was moved. An example: Creating a thread in "General Majesty Discussions" about the spells of a level 8 Wizard. That thread would be moved to the "Heroes and Guilds" topic. See what I mean? Smile

REGISTER!!!
Hey, we're a great big worldwide happy family here. Cyberlore has been gracious enough to give us all a home on the web, and they've managed to create a place unlike any other out there on the internet. You'll find that everyone who posts here is creative, funny, well-spoken, mature and respectful - regardless of age. You won't find any flaming or profanity on these boards. But.... we can't step up and give you a big old group-hug if you don't register and introduce yourself!!!! You won't be sorry you did. Everyone here is eager to help new members and answer any questions you might have (even if you end up with 50 different answers... all of them somewhat correct)! If you're visting the forum, please take a minute to register and say HI. Join the club and find a seat. Sit back and relax, make some new friends. That's why we're all here, right???

Once you have registered, if you would like to introduce yourself, please use the topic in the General Majesty Discussion area titled, "New People Come Here". That topic was created specifically for new people to say Hi and let everyone get to know you. Please don't create a new topic to say "hello" and tell us about yourself. Very Happy

- Twylah Skye

Last edited by Twylah Skye on Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
The Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:28 am    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

And don't forget spamming
This is one of the worst ways to invoke the Mommy. Spamming is posting a couple words in a topic that tell nothing whatsoever. Note: Spamming is not the kudos effect.
(And this was a great idea, Twy. If only you would have posted this when I was a new member...think of all the trouble it could have saved me....)
Here's some words from the "forum vocabulary:"
Kudoes Effect
(Direct quote from Jay)
This happens when a new member starts an innocent looking topic asking about something. The question gets answered, and then continues on about other stuff involving Greek myths, stars, Mad Cats, autocannons, etc.

Towards the end, someone will ask the question, 'So how does it feel that your innocent question started all this?'

Courtesy of Apple - Scion of Discourse

Dead Horse
Basically, its when someone posts a topic that has been discussed over...and over...and over...and over...

Kandar's Medicine
Don't ask. Just don't drink it. And keep that stuff away from me!!

------------------
"Now where did I put my spellbook?..."

[This message has been edited by The Archmage (edited 16 January 2001).]

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 10:15 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

***ATTENTION!!!***

Over the past week or so, a few relatively new members of the Forum have been centering their Forum activities around raising their ranks and the discussion of rank-raising. Several topics have been started for the sole purpose of repeated nonsense posting. I have deleted all of the topics which fall into that category... and will continue to do so if the activity keeps up. This activity is nothing but *SPAM* and we don't spam the boards here in the Majesty Forum.

Lots of the older members have tried to warn the spammers, but it seems that they chose not to listen. As a Forum Moderator, I sat back and waited to see if the spammers would stop -- but they have not, and the spam has only increased - to an unacceptable level. So, unfortunately, I was forced to take action and start deleting.

For the Forum members who tried their best to stop the activity, I thank you. I'm sorry that the other members decided not to listen. But your help was definitely noticed and appreciated.

For the Forum members who are a part of the spamming activity, I ask you to please stop now. Rank-raising spam posts are a quick way to alienate the rest of your fellow Forum members, and you won't be making any friends... besides, the spam will only be deleted. This includes initiating topics about your own rank reaching a new level -- when you start a topic about rank, you are encouraging others to focus on their own ranks. That's NOT why we're here, folks.

This is a discussion forum, whether the discussion is about Majesty or not. This is not a contest to see who can get the highest rank in the fastest time. Anyone who believes that a member with "Henchman" status is taken any less seriously then a member with "Scion of Discourse" status is very very wrong. We all listen to each other here, regardless of forum-rank.

We have several new members who are WAY too concerned about their forum-rank, and this has caused a new outbreak of spam. But when you come to the Forum and start up a topic about raising your rank, and then reply to yourself with posts containing numbers or posts containing complete nonsense... well, you only make yourself look like a fool.

If you have nothing to discuss, then please refrain from posting.

I hope that this post will the last time the "spam" subject rears its ugly head. I really and truly do NOT like deleting posts, guys... but if this continues... well... I'll have to keep deleting.

- Twylah Skye

------------------
Not really a Royal Advisor. I'm just the Forum Mommy!

[This message has been edited by Twylah Skye (edited 13 May 2001).]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 8:44 am    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

Thank You

and in my words, ALL your doing is demeaning the ranks for the people who actually deserved them by participating in discussions and becoming a true member of the Majesty family... and trust me, that's exactly what we are, FAMILY.

oh, and to clarify my position... I'm the black sheep most other members don't want to have to deal with if they don't have to... maybe it's because of all that money I borrowed...

[This message has been edited by MaDnEsS (edited 14 May 2001).]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
CBH_Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:14 am    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

How do you change your Signature and your sign-in name. Please if you know do tell.

------------------
CBHL

[This message has been edited by Twylah Skye (edited 03 September 2001).]

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:55 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

You can change your Signature in the "Profiles" menu (see the link at the top of each page). You can't change your sign-in name once you've registered... sorry.

Regards,
Twy Smile

Last edited by Twylah Skye on Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

Just a reminder, guys...

If you are new and would like to introduce yourself, please use the topic titled, "New People Come Here". That topic was created specifically for new people to say Hi and let everyone get to know you.

Thanks!

------------------
"All your base are belong to us."
"Somebody set up us the bomb."
"Take off every 'zig' for great justice."

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not meaning to try and raise my rank,or to spam,but,where can you see your rank. I've always wondered what mine is,and one time I found a thread that had the ranks,but I can't find it.Also I noticed that if you posted on some threads,your rank would be shown with your name.??
What's with that???

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

"Rank" disappeared when the Forum changed format several months ago. So the rank-spammers have quit, although we still get the occasional person who spams simply to annoy.

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

There have been some questions about how to change "signatures" (answered here in this thread), and everyone needs to remember to please please please check for established discussions before creating new threads. We've had several redundant topics created in the last few days, so I've been bumping up the existing topics and deleting the duplicate threads -- but it's much easier if ya'll do a Search before starting a new topic. Instructions on how to Search are also in this thread.

If you have specific questions or run into problems, please feel free to message me and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

- Twy

[ 15 September 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Twylah Skye ]

vaneth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

Where is the "Dead Horse Topic" for the Majesty Wish List? You gave me the impression that there was one Twylah. I already know about water, barriers, and horses being shot down and would like to know what else has been suggested an overwhelming number of times. It might trim down my suggestions that I have yet to post.

Vaneth

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, Vaneth, there is a list:

http://www.cyberlore.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000440#000000

A search on the words "Dead Horse" in the Wish List area will give you a complete list of the topics regarding dead horses. Please see the instructions for topic searching listed at the beginning of this topic.

Thanks

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for New Folks Reply with quote Back to top

Our beloved Bearded Muffin has created the new Maj2 area, so make sure all topics/posts regarding Majesty 2 are kept there... or the Forum Mommy will have to get out her +10 Iron Skillet of Death and come after ya.

- Twyster

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

(bumping up for new folks)

Important Notes:

If you're new and you'd like to introduce yourself, please use the "New People Come Here" topic, located in the "General Majesty Discussions" area.

Please do not use this topic for discussion or comments.

Please, please, please use the Forum's search engine before creating new topics. Upper right-hand corner of your page, folks.

Thanks!

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What in the WORLD is a Sticky?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: