Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Is Majesty2 out of the question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Ct0fDiscord:
I feel very very VERY VERY sorry for you. DK1 is a classic, and dkII is ALOT more advanced, but still very good. So save up 10 dollars. Better than the 70 dollars or so I spent on them each when they first came out.

Well, no one talked about them for a while and when I looked at the description on the back, it sounded like "map editor" stuff: populating a dungeon and sending heros in to test it. I'm not that keen on "map editor" stuff, so that's why I didn't get it.

Maybe next time though...

Jim the Great:
quote:
Just curious though, couldn't they produce the games themselves?
Not sure what you mean here, but if you mean why Cyberlore isn't producing the online game themselves, they've been working on other projects (like the MechWarrior expansions).

Dr. DimWit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

I know the pr for Dungeon Keeper included something like "test out your skills as a Dungeon Master". But thats not really the game, it's all about you being evil, and trying to protect your treasure from the heroes, with economy, mining and all. I have it (DK1), but only played it half through. Something about using time to carefully construct an evil dungeon, and then the heroes storming in, dying or succeding in a blink of an eye didn't appeal to me.

As to Majesty 2, my guess is, without a publisher they work on it when they have nothing better to do (as they have collected ideas in the whish-forum) - and they (hopefully) have something they get paid to do most of the time.

Jim the Great King

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

What I was asking is: What does Cyberlore do? Just create games? Do the programming? If they do the programming, is it that much harder to make the CD's and distribute them? Does anyone know why it's taking so long to find a publisher? Were sales poor on the original Majesty and expansion pack?

FieryDove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

Many publishing companies are not doing well economically and have had to reconsider where to save/spend money. Some houses are only going with current best sellers/new “possible” best sellers and the rest are history. I read this on some tech news somewhere not long ago.

With that in mind it may be hard to find the right match.

On Dungeon Keeper, I enjoyed 1 far more than 2. In 2 the minions were so brain dead. Complaining about being hungry while they are standing right next to a large hatchery, complaining they didn’t get paid when they are standing in the middle of a huge full treasury, etc. Plus they never did deliver the map editor as promised for 2 which to this day is listed as “coming soon” on the official website! BAH!

Cheers,
FD

Ct0fDiscord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

A map editor has already been released. I downloaded it and it was pretty cool. Only thing is now all the sites that have any useful information have either gone down or stopped updating.

But I only had the problem with the wages thing. Some AI problems I guess. Just give them a bit of gold to get them happy or throw them in the temple if you have one. If anyone ever said they were hungry or sleepy and standing right in the room they needed to be in, they get a slap and it never happens again

Spiderman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Jim the Great King:
What I was asking is: What does Cyberlore do? Just create games? Do the programming? If they do the programming, is it that much harder to make the CD's and distribute them? Does anyone know why it's taking so long to find a publisher? Were sales poor on the original Majesty and expansion pack?

I believe as "developers", they do what you ask above and program and create games. However, I think publishing IS that much harder. I think Jay or someone explained it a long time ago, but they're pretty small and don't really have people who can devote themselves to that aspect so that it gets full attention. Plus, they'd need to open distribution lines, sign deals with vendors, get a plant to copy the games, etc. I think there's probably a lot more going on than just "copying the game and sending it to CompUSA".

Dr. DimWit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

I think you can compare it to writing a book. Unless you can convince a publisher to give you some kind of advance, you're not making any money to support your house, car, family or drug-habit ( ).
No money until it's finished.
And you don't even know if anyone will publish it (and that IS a big part, at least on a world basis), if you can get by until it's finished.

If you have some other kind of work, to pay the bills, that will keep you from working on the book. And probably generally make it a lot harder to focus on the spare-time projekt.

But then again, publishers in general, and Infogrames in particular, are s

Jim the Great King

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info. Hope someone will publish it soon. I know I'd buy it the day it came out, and I'm pretty there are a lot of other people who would too. I just bought the Gold edition for a friend of mine in another state. I think they'll like it.

FieryDove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

IRT CTOfDiscord

I see they finally took off the notice of the map editor on the offical site, however there is still no mention of the editor being released anywhere. If you know where I can find the offical editor please send me a PM. Thanks!

Cheers,
FD

Ct0fDiscord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, the site I got it from went down a loooong time ago. It also got wiped off my harddrive when I uninstalled it a while ago. I reninstalled it a while ago but I can't get all of the funky things for it like I used to.=\

Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps I can help explain how this publisher developer relationship works. I am neither, but have worked closely with both sides.

This simplest explanation I can start off with is typically the developer creates a game and a publisher funds the creation of the game. Many times a publisher will have an idea or licensing for a game and then seek out a developer. The developer only has to make sure that the publisher is aware of them and make sure they are competitive on quality, experience and cost.

A lot of what Cyberlore does is what I described. They have been behind a number of popular games and expansions (check the company's website). The publisher hires them to create a game or expansion, and pays them so much money to do so. Then the publisher sells the game and reaps the rewards if any. Sometimes the developer will get additional monies if the game sells over a certain number of copies, but otherwise they got their money before the sales.

Now there are also many cases where a developer approaches a publisher with a game idea. Pretty much any more you either have to be pushing an already popular franchise or you have to be showing them a mostly completed product. If picked up, sometimes the publisher ends up owning the rights to the franchise or the developer does. Luckily Majesty is owned by Cyberlore so any follow up will be lovingly created by the masters.

I do not know the details of when Majesty 2 will be picked up, but I have been told that in general Cyberlore has been very busy on other projects including their highly acclaimed mech release. As the creater of the longest-standing Majesty fan-site, you can bet I am certainly waiting for the big announcement. Heck, I'm still trying to talk them into creating Majesty Online, the MMORPG.

This is just a generic overview of how the industry works. There are a lot more options and details that I am omitting. I just hope that gives you a light understanding of the process.

Also, the online RPG that is listed on Majesty-Dragon does not reside there. It is the magnificent work of Talespinner, an active member and story teller on these forums.

[ 10. January 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Dragon ]

Paladin Lisa D'angler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking about programming and publishing and stuff, I found out a couple of days ago that my brother is designing a space game. It's pretty good. He's still working on it with a couple of other guys at this place called Jenesis (That is how it's spelled). Jenesis has not too many computers but it's way cool.

Apple

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, Dragon's still around!

rhett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

Give us Majesty 2!

Grizpin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Is Majesty2 out of the question? Reply with quote Back to top

I check this site every now and then to see if anything has been announced regarding Majesty 2. I play alot of games and most of them I get bored with. Majesty is the only one that continues to get play time on my pc. Please Cyberlore, find a publisher for Majesty 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: