Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Majesty for Win2K?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Technical Assistance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:28 pm    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I notice the system requirments for Majesty specify Win 95/98, but make no mention of NT or 2000... does Majesty run under Windows 2000, and if so do you need to have admin privileges to install or run it? TIA...

Daboyz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 4:25 pm    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

We run Majesty under Win 2K pro with only small problems (occasional .ICD error, but that's probably more of a CDRW and DVD-ROM installed in the same system issue) We installed it with Admin privledges.

Colin

bladeles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:03 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

It will work under 2K, but not NT (no DirectX).

2000 is really only a hybrid of NT and 98. 2000 should give you no problems... Majesty was released prior to 2000, and it has become a given that anything that runs under 98 will run under 2000... supposedly, anyway.

You DO need Admin priviledges, as being Admin allows you to install new programs and edit the registry (whereas User status does not).

------------------
...blooooddddd....

[This message has been edited by bladeles (edited 11 July 2001).]

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:52 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

Ummm... I thought Majesty came out in March of 2000? Oh, and I have NT with no problemos!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
bladeles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:29 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

Really? I didn't think you could run DirectX under NT. I personally use 98 (at home) and 2000pro at the office.

I think the reason that games do not show that they support 2000 is that it still a relatively new OS... and they don't want to get sued should 2000 screw something up .

I am right about the Admin thing, at least!

------------------
...blooooddddd....

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:46 pm    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the whole reason most things don't say Win 2K on them is because Win 2K was only in stores for like 6 months before Win ME came out and replaced it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
bladeles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:13 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

You kinda gotta think of it in 2 realms:
Corporate and Home.

2000, being built on NT technology, is well suited for business use in that it retains all the nice networking benefits (and some new ones) of NT/NT Server(sharing of Network drives, multi-level security, etc). They have tried to optimize the file system (notice 2000 uses FAT32 rather that NTFS) for the more high-end appz (like Viseo, and AutoCAD). ME is better suited for more personal products, such as home computers and laptops. It has lower security and less 'disaster recovery' features, which speeds it up tremendously. It is intended to be the new generation of the Win95/98se OS genre. It has all the nice memory management & optimization to run more memory intensive appz.

At least this is what I have read... I haven't actually used ME yet... so I can't really comment on its stability compared to 98/2000. I have a burned copy of it that I meant to try out at home, but I haven't gotten around to it yet... Changing OS is such a time consuming task better spent playing games .

Our engineering department recently upgraded our machines... we went from 233's with NT to 1.5 Ghzs running 2000. However, we really didn't see all that much improvement, as far as speed goes. It is just able to handle a lot more at a time.

Perhaps we could get some ME users to comment?

------------------
...blooooddddd....

Capt. Burton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:48 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

I'm using ME at home, and it's been pretty stable.

Dragonstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:51 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by bladeles:
You kinda gotta think of it in 2 realms:
Corporate and Home.
(notice 2000 uses FAT32 rather that NTFS)

Ah bladeles, W2K does use NTFS. What MS had done was make it recognise FAT32 as well.

bladeles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:01 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

I see. I didn't set mine up (Company IT dept. did) so I couldn't make the choice. It is an improvement, as my NT machine could only have a FAT32 drive if it was slaved to the primary NTFS drive. Now the primary can be FAT32(as it is on my machine)... so I'm happy.

Thx for the clarification.

------------------
...blooooddddd....

[This message has been edited by bladeles (edited 12 July 2001).]

Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:36 pm    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

Master of Magic goes just wonderfully on ME. Of course, 1.31. The problems are with really old games and programs like Partition Magic requiring DOS mode. (I know latest Partition Magic doesn't require DOS mode, haven't had the time to get it.)

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:07 pm    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

My new computer came with ME on it. No problems as of yet with anything I've tried to run, except Master of Magic of course.

Tajma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 7:18 pm    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

I have Win98, WinME and Win2000 installed on the 3 computers at home. Win2000 is obviously the most stable one, since it's a follow-up of the NT line.

I don't think Win2000 really qualifies as a hybrid of Win98 and NT. Instead, I think it's more like "NT the next generation". And NTFS is the "recommended" file system for Win2000, not FAT32, even though it supports all FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. For home users, NTFS is actually a baaadddd choice though, uninstall it can be real tough!

------------------
Tajma

Omnia vincit amor

bladeles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:31 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Tajma:

And NTFS is the "recommended" file system for Win2000, not FAT32, even though it supports all FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. For home users, NTFS is actually a baaadddd choice though, uninstall it can be real tough!

Which is why I say the FAT32 is an improvement... I've had to go through that before...

------------------
...blooooddddd....

TinMan666

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Majesty for Win2K? Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm... I've just bought the game and installed it on my Win2000 PC...

Not having any fun so far. It just keeps crashing.

Any ideas guys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Technical Assistance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: