Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Majesty HoA: Combat System
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I've started this thread for stuff related to the HoA Combat System.

I'm going to start work implementing Combat Options where you can specify things like 'Drink Healing Potion if HPs goes below X.' and 'Flee if HPs goes below X.'. I'll also put in additional options like 'Dying Phrase' and 'Flee Phrase' which is what your character will say when the appropriate situation happens - I think that will be heaps of fun

wavefront: Interesting idea with the Flee option being available at the start of combat. It certainly balances out a few heroes in the game as well - I think I like it very much. I'll see what I can implement. By the way, I'm using ASP to write this game, using VBScript for the programming language.

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yes, it's actually real easy to implement a fixed opponent to fight rather than a random one per round. I was afraid that will make heroes a little too efficient in fighting - but after some consideration, I suppose that it is the most logical way anyone would fight.

wavefront

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

I think the first level should have a hero level factor when computing the numbers of monsters. Perhaps a maxium of [1.5 * the heroes level] dropping all fractions so you would have:
1st level - 1 monster
2nd level - 3 monsters
3rd level - 4 monsters
4th level - 6 monsters
etc.

The second level could have double the numbers of the first level.

As it is now many of my first level characters have run into two ratmen (none have laster longer than 5 rounds) for the first encounter.

Rogue Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

Wavefront has a point... And I will just add to it.

Use that idea, and let each monster type have a 'danger value'.

A Ratmen might be 1, so a 1st level hero would only encounter one of them. A Giant Rat might be 0.5, so a 1st level hero could run into one or two of them at a time.

And so on and so forth...

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

I've had this happen in all of my combats:
quote:
Round 0
Round 1
Round 2
Ratman attacks Dorgath and hits for 5 damage. (17 HPs left.)
Ratman attacks Dorgath and misses.
Dorgath attacks Ratman and hits for 6 damage. (39 HPs left.)
Round 3

What's happening in Round 0 and 1?

Rogue Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I have noticed, those rounds are for ranged weapons solely. This adds an adventage to those with ranged weapons (who usually is misable at surviving close combat), as they get a few free attacks on the charging foe, which hopefully can give them an edge in the battle...

Golem XV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

hey how come when a skell dies the priestess doesnt make a new one? is it cause i have to dismiss him first?

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Golem XV:
hey how come when a skell dies the priestess doesnt make a new one? is it cause i have to dismiss him first?

According to TS the logic of it goes some thing like this:
The Hero must manually dismiss his followers after death incase they want to restore a particularly valuable follower (not just a skeleton).

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

Great ideas on the combat options listed above...

Perhaps once these are implemented the "balance issue" may be resolved. As they currently stand it seems a warrior, or wizard has little chance of leveling. I know it is possible after many months of getting 20 30 exp here and there.

I havent tried a rogue or ranger, but assume they wont fare very well either without some sort of function to allow fleeing or use of potions during combat.

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Jakartiz:

I havent tried a rogue or ranger, but assume they wont fare very well either without some sort of function to allow fleeing or use of potions during combat.

Save your time... Rogues stink. They get way too many monster encounters (I spend so much time resting at temples that I've got a "frequent guest" pass to my own private guest suite on the top floor - it's got a nice view of the sewer entrance. I also have nearly filled up my resurrection punch card - I get a free blessing after 20 resurrections! On the down side, the peasants don't like me because I have worn a deep grove in the road between the temple and the sewers from them dragging my dead body out if it, every hour or so, for the last three days! They have asked me when I plan to retire from adventuring, so the can fix the road once and for all. ).
They also lack the combat skill to fight anything more powerful than a single giant rat (and that's a stretch). I would guess rangers aren't any better because they have horrible parry skills despite the fact they should usually hit with at least one of the two free rounds (0&1) the get.

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

LOL Thanks for the laugh, is always nice to have someone point out the lighter side of life. And all this time I thought I was the only one who was creating that groove in the road...

Voice of Venn in the background: Your Majesty, If the kingdom is to prosper, we need more EXP!

[ 03 June 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Jakartiz ]

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

Hark, I can hear the cart master now...
"Bring out your dead!"
"Bring out your dead!"
"Hey, that guy isn't dead yet!"
"Oh, he will be soon enough, you see he's a rogue who wants to go exploring in the sewers and..."
"Weeellll, why didn't you say so in the first place? Sure, I can take him like that. Just toss him on the cart next to the other rogues."

[ 03 June 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: wavefront ]

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

LOL - wavefront certainly is having a good time getting killed

I've working on the Combat System last night and found a problem with the idea of letting the hero decide if he should flee.

The original idea goes like this:

1. Encounter opponents.
2. Select to Flee or Fight.
3. If Flee, then do a test Luck. If lucky then escape, else Fight with no ranged advantage.

The problem is this - players don't NEED to select Flee in order to escape from combat. They simply log out or close the browser, and log in again and they're back in the city with no nasty monsters plaguing them.

So, I've changed the rules to this:

1. Encounter opponents.
2. Test Luck immediately. If succeed then you get a choice of fighting or avoiding them. If you choose to avoid them, then you automatically escape them and can go exploring again.
3. If luck fails, then you're surprised by the encounter and are attacked.

Basically, the luck roll is done before the player is given the option.

Any comments?

[ 03 June 2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: TaleSpinner ]

The Archmage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

No, that sounds good. Makes sense. Can't have those cheaters out there winning, can we?

However, there is a small problem. There's a difference between running away from a Giant Rat and running away from a Dragon. A hero who would stick around and fight the Rat, might run away from a Dragon. Any way to implement the different monster types into this? Or maybe that's already been done...? Another idea (which you probably already thought of) is that perhaps weaker heroes could have higher luck so that they can escape. This could be extremely benefical at the when you start out.

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Majesty HoA: Combat System Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by The Archmage:

However, there is a small problem. There's a difference between running away from a Giant Rat and running away from a Dragon. A hero who would stick around and fight the Rat, might run away from a Dragon. Any way to implement the different monster types into this?

That would be simple. Just choose to fight the Giant Rat and run away from the Dragon if you are offered a choice. The only difference between my original idea and TS's new idea is that that chance you can successfully escape has already been computed. So if you weren't offered the option to flee it means you wouldn't have made it anyway. Does that make sense to you?

BTW: TS, good call on the logic flow on the flee subroutine.

[ 03 June 2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: wavefront ]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: