Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Majesty: Heroes of Ardania
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foldalake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
I have figured out how to use healing potions in combat to keep you alive (err, sort of).

Doesn't work for me! I just get the "Killed already? Lucky for you this is a beta-version. You have been revived." message and the main screen of Val Morgan appears and I have 1 HP. That is bad, because my elf can't even kill a rat.

By the way, how do I steal?

Foldalake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Aww, man... It costs one turn to gamble... Now I'm out of both turns and money...

Starsinmyeyes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Foldalake:
quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
[qb]I have figured out how to use healing potions in combat to keep you alive (err, sort of).

Doesn't work for me! I just get the "Killed already? Lucky for you this is a beta-version. You have been revived." message and the main screen of Val Morgan appears and I have 1 HP. [QB]
Same here...

wavefront

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by TaleSpinner:
As for your wizard running away, I think that will be implemented once the Combat Settings I talked about earlier gets implemented - you simply set up that you'd like to flee from combat if HPs = your maximum HPs and you'll continually flee from every combat

OK, 1st things 1st:
  • Who won the IRL vs. CAM game Saturday? I was watching it (on Spanish T.V. of course "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal") but didn't see anything after the score was tied 1-1.
  • Next, TS I would like to see the monster(s) before I chose to flee. This can work without making any serious changes to your existing code.
    After you calculate the opponent and before you start the combat cycle(loop) insert:
    code:
    "You are attacked by "(number)" "(Monster)

"Do you want to fight or flee?"
    If choice = "fight" go to combat
    else go to flee
    flee
    (Comment: If you want the hero could always get
    away in which case you could just subtract the
    turn counter and start the next turn - No extra
    code is necessary! They would simply loose a turn
    with nothing to show for it [my choice if I were
    the coder] or you could add...)
    If 25 * {rnd} < or = Player luck then
    "You got away... this time." goto next turn
    Else
    "After a short chase..."
    "You have been cornered by the "(number)" "(monster)" !"
    "Now you must fight or die!" go to combat (round=2)

By using luck as the determining factor in a flee attempt gnomes would have a very good chance of getting away from fights, which is great because gnomes are too far weak anyway.
    By starting combat at round 2 after the failed flee attempt, the hero would loose any range/spell attack advantage.
    I think this would be the most balanced approach.

• Would you consider commenting out the new healing potion check until you change the combat system to include healing potions? Otherwise, the potions are not very useful at all. When you change the combat system you could just uncomment the new code. How about it?

• One last small thing...
    Could you make it so that when the hero fights against several monsters he/she kills the first one before attacking the next... I think this would mean that you would have to nest the attack loop within a loop of the number of monsters, instead of switching flags around within the existing combat loop. It would give the heroes a little better chance when they are in a multi-monster battle.

• BTW: What language are you using for this? I would like to brush up on it so I can give you better feed back

Great game so far...

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

I am using 5 characters now; rogue, adept, gnome, elf, and dwarf.

My rogue was killed 6 times. I seem to remember something about how level 1 characters would be revived immediately or something in the completed game. All I can say is that they'd better be. Adept did okay; I think my gnome still has only 23 xp, but he only needs 50g more till he can get a RoP, which should help a little. I'm annoyed by the fact that he can't buy armor, not that it would help much, but still... The elf and dwarf are fine, but I noticed they were able to visit the Gnome Hovel even though they're not supposed to be.

[ 02 June 2002, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Pretty Cow ]

Starsinmyeyes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

You need a second account to get a second character right?

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

yeah. just go to 'register new user' and use a different name.

Rogue Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, TaleSpinner, old chap... Yep, I am back with more complaints... (some people, eh?)

Well, my ambition is to have at least one of each hero. I am at present playing eight, but I need sleep very soon (it is the dead of night in Denmark). I will add the other when I wake, but already I have an observation, and that is a hideous lack of balance!
You have, as far as I can see, added the heroes' stats faithfully... that is somewhat of a mistake in my opinion. You see, in Majesty the heroes have various costs to balance their power versus expense. In HoA however they are free when you create them. My point; heroes like the Paladin and Priestess are a lot more powerful than anyone else! My Paladin waded through every encounter, almost ready to advance after 24 turns. My Solarus, who I have played for 3 days is barely reaching level 2 (and only if I am lucky, since I get slaughtered every other time I find a foe). I have no proof of the Priestess, but can imagine that her Skeleton will make a HUGE difference...
It just seems unfair...

Another point; I REALLY WANT THAT 'LOOK FOR A FIGHT' OPTION! Or you should revise the 'Encounter Randomizer'. My Ranger found monsters nearly every time he explored (and frequently got eaten by them). My Priestess and Warrior however never saw a single foe. (A fun note though is that my Warrior, Haalnin the Brave, or Haalnin the Scavenger, as I like to call him now, never met a foe, but found 114 GP, four (!) standard weapons, and an armour. After a visit to the Blacksmith he is pretty much geared up for anything... )

On a related note, you should revise the 'Encounter Table', since it is somehow frustrating. I agree that the Ranger should have some sort of an advantage, but finding monsters at every turn is not a good one. Maybe a better chance of finding the 'good encounters' you are planning to add (like 'Do you attack the 34 Ratman?'). On the flip side, spending 24 turns digging through sewage is annoying, especially when you truly find NOTHING! (My Priestess scraped together about 60 GP on her first 24 turns... joy...)

At the speak of redundancy... How about a 'Sell Junk' option at the Gnome Hovel. Unless the junk can have an effect somewhere in the game, selling five Rusty Daggers one at a time is quite tidious... The same goes for the Blacksmith, and 'Sell Useless Gear'. My Warrior had to sell every of the five items he found one at a time, returning to Main Blacksmith Menu every time he sold one...

And finally, even if it is in the spirit of Majesty, it is frustrating to find a lot of weapons, yet being unable to use any of them. I just needed to point that one out again...
(Heh, it will probably be a low point like no other when my Solarus finds a Long Sword of Flaying... only to realise that she can do nothing but sell it. My Warrior and Paladin then will take turns shouting at her for selling such a rare artifact without giving them a chance at it... )

For all my whining though, the game has me gripped like a Rogue hangs on to his (and the Tax Collector's) purse...

I probably had more thoughts, but I am very tired now... I will return to complain at a later hour...

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Golem XV: If I remember correctly, according to the Prima Guide, the priestess will animate an additional skeleton follower every 2 Levels after Level 1 - to a maximum of 3 undead followers. So, she'll have 2 skeletons at Level 3 and 3 skeletons at Level 5. This has been implemented in the game as well.

Control Undead will kick in when you start fighting undead. It's going to work similar to the Cultist's Charm Monster spell - undead opponents like Vampires will simply join your side mid-combat - if you have less than 3 charmed undead under your control.

Now, this will take a little re-vamp (pardon the pun) on how Animate Undead works. Right now, it's cast the moment your priestess can control an extra undead. It really should be a manually cast spell - where you click on Spells and click Cast Spell. This way, you can keep a free spot for any interesting and more powerful undead you come across during combat.

If you have any other ideas on how this should work, don't hesitate to share them. Start a new topic called 'Majesty HoA: Priestesses' or something like that - this thread is getting a little long.

To Everyone: That Healing Potion stunt has been captured by me. Seriously, in this Beta version, it's really a waste of potions since you get revived automatically for free anyway in the next move, so you're really just wasting a potion.

Ahhh Monday again - back to real programming work. Will only be able to work on HoA tonight, so development might be slow over the week. Anyway, be patient and keeping those ideas rolling in

Rogue Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Just had three more thoughts!

A): You need to implant the various hero abilities. It would add to the mood, and might solve some of the balancing problem... My Rogue, who I just had to create before sleeping, keeps getting slaughtered by the monsters, so I imagined that he could have some Steal options so I could upgrade his equipment...

B): A rookie-dungeon would REALLY hit the spot... How about Upper Sewer, with primarily Giant Rats and an odd Ratman (perhaps a Ratman Scout with weaker stats)? I tire of getting killed all the time... Takes some of the fun out of it somehow...

C): How about some variation in the monsters' stats? A small randomizer, perhaps? Those three HP less the Ratman might have could well mean the difference of life and death...

By the way... Gaugantaun Rats??? I do not recall seeing THOSE in Majesty... Wonder how many other surprises you have in hold for the unwary...

Golem XV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

hey ummm what's this error

error 'ASP 0113'
Script timed out

/valmorgan/sewers2.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeOut or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools. error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/valmorgan/sewers2.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeOut or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

That VBScript error was answered before.

quote:
That VBScript error is caused by the server not responding within an allocated time limit. Really out of my control - it's something only the Server Administrator can fix. Anyway, if it consistantly happens to people, then I can bring it up with the S.A.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Hit the back button and try again.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Golem XV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
That VBScript error was answered before.

quote:
That VBScript error is caused by the server not responding within an allocated time limit. Really out of my control - it's something only the Server Administrator can fix. Anyway, if it consistantly happens to people, then I can bring it up with the S.A.

oh duh ...... silly me
well ummm since this is a beta ummm how bout we get a bunch more turns just to test everything out, yeah something like that

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Talespinner,

Has anyone else had bad luck with a Solarus? I have played this hero for 75 or so turns and she hasn't survived a single combat. Not even against a single Giant Rat. She has only wracked up a total of 36 XP in all this time. I had her buy some banded armor from the Blacksmith (all she could afford) and that didn't seem to help either. Could you tinker with the luck associated with Solarii or at least check it out to see if it needs any tweaking?

My Priestess gal is doing pretty well but I couldn't get her past level 2 either if you take the instant revive off all but level 1 heroes.

Thanks,

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: