Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Majesty: Heroes of Ardania
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starsinmyeyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Neeeeever mind i get it now. Talespinner you might want to ad a note when you buy an item something like "You now own a sword. Go to your backpack to use it". Or maybe I'm just slow like that...

Starsinmyeyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

What's this:

error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/valmorgan/gnomehovel.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeOut or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

?

Oh by the way its much more fun once you figure out how to use a weapon

Golem XV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by TaleSpinner:
Golem: Thanks for your support - actually, you don't lose turns moving around the city at all - only when you Explore the sewers or when you Rest to gain HPs etc. Gambling will use up turns as well.

well if you dont have turn then it wont let you move from place to place in the city

wavefront

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Bug Report

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: '[string: ""]'

/valmorgan/gamblinghall.asp, line 77
I was a wizard in the Gambling hall (like a good Sim ) And placed a 50 gold bet on red.

TS good game so far

I have also noticed that I seem to be able to buy as many potions as I want to, not just 5. As a wizard though, that's probably as many as I would ever use at any one time.

One more idea:
How about at the beginning of combat you give the Wizards a chance to "Flee in terror"? I don't need a whole combat system. Just a chance to run from any monster that I see. As a wizard I spend most of my time reading the one spell in my spell book. Heck, the only exercise I get is running from monsters . When I'm not reading my book. I'm dreaming about the day when the wizard's guild will show up on the map so, I can have some place safe to run to. We wizards need to keep ourselves in shape you know. So how about some fleeing and a guild to flee too (and maybe a library or an inn)?

One more small thing... could I get my turn back that I lost on the gambling error? My login is wavefront, and my Character is Nai the Wizard.

[ 02 June 2002, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: wavefront ]

Zhaoyun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

The xp per whack thing is great, adds more value to killing the foe
Another thing that I think you've probably thought over is "Sovereign intervention" Since we play individual heroes, and all the buildings are technically there or will be in Valmorgan, then maybe the sovereign can cast something to help in adventures with sovereign spells. Of course, his favor must be earned somehow first. I'd like to see something like that in the future.
I know it's a lot of work, but how will you incorporate the sorcerer's abode spells?
So many questions, but I know you'll eventually find the answers.

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

I just tried the game out as Filthy Ronald the Gnome. ), and found a broken crossbow and broken staff. I also found a hammer which sold for 75g. Then I encountered two ratmen, and parried and dodged them for 12 rounds, but one of them finally hit me, and since I only had 3 hp, I was slaughtered. Oh, well. Then I used my remaining turns because I was brought back to life.

Overall I'm enjoying the game very much; it has a nice feel to it. I have one question though: Is it possible for a lvl1 gnome, strength 4, with a Long Steel Dagger to kill a ratman? All my hits kept getting deflected by the ratmen's armor.

[ 01 June 2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Pretty Cow ]

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

One quick question - As a gnome, in my stats page it says I can be recruited for building. When the game is finished is there going to be times where this actually happens, and if so, how is it going to work?

Also, tell us when you fix that bug where your last turn doesn't do anything. And Golem's right, you can't move around the city when you have no turns. I think it would be nice to still be able to go places in the city after your last turn.

[ 02 June 2002, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Pretty Cow ]

wavefront

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

I too noticed the one turn bug...
Are you subtracting the turn counter at the begining or end of the turn cycle? You also might be checking the turn counter in more than one place in the cycle (combat/encounter?).

wavefront

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Healer Combat Bug??

The Healers behave kind of strange in combat...
The never seem to attack anything (except themselves) Look at this sample from my character "Test healer":

quote:

While distracted by the noises from the street above, you are attacked by 2 ratmen!

Round 0
Test healer fires at Test healer and misses.
Round 1
Round 2
Ratman attacks Test healer and misses.
Ratman attacks Test healer and hits for 3 damage. (4 HPs left.)
Round 3
Test healer casts Heal on Test healer. (7 HPs left)
Round 4
Test healer fires at Ratman and misses.
Ratman attacks Test healer and hits for 3 damage. (4 HPs left.)
Round 5
Test healer casts Heal on Test healer. (7 HPs left)
Ratman attacks Test healer but Test healer parries the attack.
Round 6
Test healer fires at Ratman and misses.
Ratman attacks Test healer and hits for 10 damage. (-3 HPs left.)
Test healer: I will be reborn. (dies)

You have been defeated.

You have gained 50 XPs.

When a Healer is in combat why she does try to attack herself? Should we not play healers until we find some one else to do the fighting (followers)? Or should we be following other people and healing them?

wavefront

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Spoiler

I have figured out how to use healing potions in combat to keep you alive (err, sort of). After you are killed by the ratmen and before you click on anything else; click on your items. Select "Healing Potions" (click on it). Click on "use item". Ta-Da!

"With your last dying effort you uncork your healing potion and consume its life giving contents. You start to feel warm all over as the magic elixir quickly flows through your body. In a few seconds your strength starts to return, and you are able to slowly stand up. It seems you have shaken Krypta's icy grip on you, for the moment..."

Hmmm. Starting today that won't work any more (TS "fixed" it). Sorry guys
Ahh, it was good while it lasted. I was sort of hoping he would leave it in until he could implement potions into the combat loops. Perhaps in the future we will use potions though...

[ 02 June 2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: wavefront ]

Rogue Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Great! Thanks, Wavefront, now my potions are not as useless as I feared.

On the other hand, I now have a problem with the amount of encounters. Only gain a single turn per hour can seem tough, especially when you can spend 12 turns in a row exploring the sewers without finding anything... Okay, I admit finding a nice hammer, which I sold for enough gold to finally upgrade to a spiked mace... The point is that after getting some nice gear, I am spoiling for a fight, yet now the Ratmen do not dare show their snouts...

Maybe some options during exploring? (I know, I am hopeless)... For instance:

Explore the sewers would give you standard chance for finding treasure and getting hostile encounters.
Look for a fight would cut your chance of finding treasure in half, but double the chance of encountering monsters.

Also, two tiny things:

1): It is odd that you have the choice of taking the treasure you find, since players grab anything that is not nailed down (unless they can get the nails out). Unless there is / will be a chance of traps or monsters when you take the treasure, it is a waste of time to ask...

2): Now that healing potions are useful again, it would be nice to specify the amount you will like to buy, instead of going through the routine several times.

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone, am watching England vs Sweden while typing this, so I might not be too coherent.

Rogue Knight: Yes, you can create more than one character - in fact I encourage it so that you can try out all the options each character has.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that the pick-up option is beginning to get redundant. Originally, there was supposed to be a limit to the amount of items people can carry - some calculation based on the weight of the object and the strength of the hero. However, after seeing that heroes like the gnomes and wizards with STR=1 in the Prima Guide stats, I decided to drop that for now.

Specifying the number of healing potions to buy is a good suggestion. I'll see what can be done.

There will be more different scenarios in future encounters - like you sneak up on a couple of opponents and get the option of attacking them or running away. And sometimes opponents jump out at you, not giving you a chance to run away. etc. However, I don't know if I'll implement the Explore/Look for Fight option - it doesn't seem necessary for now.

Stars: Heh, I suppose I should give some sort of a introduction when a new player comes into the world. I've been thinking of getting someone to hail you when you first step in - and you learn about the game by talking to him.

That VBScript error is caused by the server not responding within an allocated time limit. Really out of my control - it's something only the Server Administrator can fix. Anyway, if it consistantly happens to people, then I can bring it up with the S.A.

Golem XV: Ah, of course. Bad habit which I picked up from playing Warriors 1 where you can't even visit the Marketplace when turns = 0. I suppose I should only prevent players from doing actions that reduce turns.

wavefront: Good work finding that bug - I'll take a look at it. As for your wizard running away, I think that will be implemented once the Combat Settings I talked about earlier gets implemented - you simply set up that you'd like to flee from combat if HPs = your maximum HPs and you'll continually flee from every combat The Wizard's Guild will take some time to come out, so be patient. And yes, I'll compensate your lost turn when I next log into the game

Dear gawd, is that what happens to healers!? Geez - I have to see this for myself And good call with that healing potion thingo - it's a real bug that needs to be addressed.

Zhaoyun: I was thinking that the gods should be the ones doing intervention. I was thinking of eventually implementing Divine Blessings - like if you're in Krypta's favor, she'll Wither opponents during combat. Or if you're in Agrela's favor, she'll heal or even ressurrect you during combat.

Incidentally, I was also thinking of Divine Curses in the future, which are the opposite from Divine Blessings. Basically, if you're out of one god's favour, He/She'll throw in an occasional curse to trip you up. And Krolm will be the only God that protects His Followers from all Divine Curses. Interesting, yeah?

Haven't even thought about the Abode - mainly because I don't have the portrait for it. I've asked Jay for MajX building portraits but still no answer . Guess this will be a pure Maj game until much later.

Pretty Cow: Game balance between different heroes is a major issue which I'd like to discuss with people once they've had a taste of the game. The gnome has to be the worst hero to start off with - still have to think about how to improve him.

Anyway, the Building ability will enable you to take on building projects from the Sovereign in the future, which earn you more gold and XPs. Haven't had time to flesh this out fully, but it will be implemented.

The Archmage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

I would say give every hero the option of "Fleeing in Terror." I mean if a level 1 Warrior walks out of the city and sees a dragon, I doubt he'll want to stand and fight.

Regarding the Divine Blessings and Curses: I like that idea, except it doesn't help any of the "non-god-follower" characters. Maybe for them, Sovereign Spells could be used. And when/if the Sorceror's Abode is used, it could be for all heroes. Just a thought.

Thanks, Wavefront, for Healing Potions tip!

Oh, and I've got a question: when you leave the city, you'll be able just to walk across the country-side and into forests, right? Then you could come to different cities and meet different heroes? If this is the case, then maybe you could place a map of Ardania somewhere where you can choose your location. Where ever you wanted to go, depending on the distance, would cost you a certain amount of turns. Along the way, you would have a certain chance of encountering wandering monsters. If this isn't the way the game is going to work, forget this idea. If so...

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I've only fixed the current bugs found in the system - you try programming while watching Spain vs Slovenia

So anyway, the healers won't try to kill themselves anymore (unless it's a purely psychological thing which I cannot control). And you are allowed to move around even if you have no turns left - you'll only be restricted from any moves that spend turns. That healing potion thingo doesn't seem too harmful to me - given that you're revived for free in this beta version anyway. Ah well, I've put in some checks on that anyway.

Archmage: Ah, but you see, heroes such as Warriors, Rogues, Wizards and Rangers can enter all temples and thus get to choose which deity they wish to worship - and that will grant them Divine Favor/Curses as well. So it's possible to have a Warrior who regularly attends the Temple to Krolm and thus Krolm grants him Rage blessings and protects him from other deities' Curses etc.

quote:
Originally posted by The Archmage:
Oh, and I've got a question: when you leave the city, you'll be able just to walk across the country-side and into forests, right?

Right.
quote:

Then you could come to different cities and meet different heroes?

Right.
quote:

If this is the case, then maybe you could place a map of Ardania somewhere where you can choose your location. Where ever you wanted to go, depending on the distance, would cost you a certain amount of turns. Along the way, you would have a certain chance of encountering wandering monsters. If this isn't the way the game is going to work, forget this idea. If so...

A map is a good idea - except that I hope it doesn't chew up the bandwidth of players with slower modems.

Okay, a bit on what I've got in mind for the World of Ardania. I've divided the map of Ardania into Regions. Travelling between Regions will take turns. Each Region has a default city/town that will be the place where your hero will hang out most and will appear in when you next login. So Valmorgen is in a Region called the 'Southern Plains'.

You will only be able to travel to different regions when you discover the road leading to those regions. You discover these roads a bit like how you discover the Lower Sewers - via exploration. Or you can visit the local Ranger's Guild and they'll tell you where the road is - for a price. They'll also sell you information on interesting locations in the region like an Abandonned Castle, which you'd otherwise have to find yourself.

Rangers will start off the game with bonus locations found and will be able to buy information cheaper.

Travelling from one Region to another will cost you turns.

And.. d*mnit why did that referee award a penalty to Spain!?!? *runs off to the TV cursing*

Starsinmyeyes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Majesty: Heroes of Ardania Reply with quote Back to top

Now that I am a level 4 Paladin I am having loads of fun kickin' whosever butt gets in my way! Unfortunately I just sold my Ring of Protection in order to be able to register in the Fairgrounds and there's not even anyone there! oh well heh. Thank you Talespinner this game rocks!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: