Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ct0fDiscord

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Arg, I love RPGs, but my first game ever was Wolf3d, ever since then I've had a real problem with limitation. I can't stand anything turn based. However an RPG for majesty is great. Hope it goes well (whether its turn based or not, I'll still support it!)

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that I've completed the game engine. What I've got is a working prototype of a text-based world which you can 'travel' around in (somewhat like Warriors). I've got a working blacksmith, a working marketplace, a working Gambling Hall, the Palace, and an special place where you can 'explore'.

The massive biggie which I've completed is the combat engine - I've built the Combat Engine in which your character can cast spells, fight, shoot arrows etc. You won't believe the amount of work that had to go into customising different effects of different spells. My personal favourite is the Priestess or Cultist as they can charm opponent units in mid-combat.

The bad news is that I'm worried about game stability and security. There are serious security loopholes which I already can spot but I'm still trying to think what to do with them. And I'm uneasy about how the game engine I've written will handle the load once it hits the web. The last thing I want to introduce is a game that takes forever to run on your browser.

Next to this problem, I'm completely dried up in terms of world creation. But this I suspect won't be a huge problem after I've released the proto into the wild - people in this forum will definately have 1000 ideas on story, gameplay etc.

I'll take another look at the code tonight to ensure that it's suitable for a proto-release. Meanwhile, let me fill you guys in a few game concepts as I've got some free time today.

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

General Game Concepts

Turn based game
I've built the game as a turn-based game which grants you 1 turn every hour.

Getting killed
When you get killed, your character will be Revived at 12am (Australian time). That's about 10am forum time I think. When you are revived, you are given 1 HP and it's up to you to spend turns to recover.

Items
You can carry as many items as you like, but you can only Equip one type at a time. Like you can only Wear one Armor, Wield one Sword. This takes a little management your end - you'll have to ensure that your character is properly equipt before running out to do adventuring which is important because you cannot equip or change items during combat. It's a little silly to run into combat and then realise that your broadsword is still in your backpack. I suspect that most newbies will find this troublesome - I personally keep forgetting to equip things and then regret that I really could have won that combat if I have remembered to put on that Ring of Protection

Magic Items
So far, Magic Items enhance different attributes. Like a Healing potion will bring up your HPs. A Ring of Protection will enhance your Dodge, Parry etc.

However, it's a completely different kettle of fish with items that Cast Spells like Fireball wands or something like that. I've still not done anything about these, but I think that if I can just get a few of my neurons together and talk things through, I should be able to easily implement them.

Followers
Yes, everyone can have followers. Some people can have more followers that others. A priestess can have her group of skellies, a cultist his troupe of dancing hell bears. It's a simple matter to allow Warriors to hire fighters or thieves, but I've still not implemented this yet. So far, I've made a limit of 3 Charmed followers. No limit to Hired followers as of yet.

Follower Level-up
Yes, Followers can Level-up and Evolve, just like Pokemon monsters. After gaining a sufficient amount of XPs, your Giant Rat can evolve into a Huge Rat with sharper teeth and thicker hides etc. No special portraits though - unless someone offers to draw up some new creature portraits. This would be an interesting element of the game - I suspect that a lot of people will care and nuture their followers as much as possible.

Spell casting
There are two types of spells that can be cast - Combat spells and Non-Combat spells. Non-Combat spells are cast anytime by you. Some of them are cast automatically. Like a Healer automatically casts Healing on herself and all her followers immediately after combat. Combat spells are cast in combat (duh!).

True to Majesty, there is no Mana to be spent. Spells are cast automatically whenever required and whenever available. This saves time for the player - and maximises the usage of spells.

Combat System

Oooo.. the Combat System. Blood and tears went into this baby and I expect more blood and tears in the future

True to all good browser-based games, combat is done automatically by the server and you are only informed of the results of the combat as well as the blow-by-blow description of every round. Combat is played round by round and all combatants do one move in one round (unless hindered). Rounds continue till all combatants in one side are eliminated or until 500 rounds have passed in which case both sides retreat in exhaustion.

All combatants are either Ranged or Melee fighters. A ranger is ranged, a warrior is melee, a wizard is ranged and a paladin is melee, etc. A cultist is the exception - he's a ranged fighter who uses melee attacks (throwing daggers).

Ranged Fighters get two free attacks before Melee Fighters. Ranged Fighters can attack any opponents in the field. From what I've played, a really good wizard can kill off all opponents within 2 rounds.

Melee Fighters attack Melee opponents. They can only attack Ranged opponents after they've killed all Melee Opponents.

Spells are cast as soon as they are available. For example, a FireBall takes 3 turns to recharge. So a wizard will fling a fireball every 3 turns. Energy blasts take 0 turns to regenerate and can be cast every round. There is no limit to the number of spells you can cast in one round. This means that a wizard will cast his entire payload in Round 0 and then as often as possible, depending on which spells recharge first.

There are special effects that can happen in combat like Regeneration or Being Poisoned or Getting Paralyzed. No doubt most of you can suspect how these will happen

Okay, enough writing for today - will try to get the proto up as soon as possible.

[ 26 May 2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: TaleSpinner ]

Tiger

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Woohoo! Go Talespinner!

Ct0fDiscord

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Although I really don't enjoy turn based games (as I mentioned earlier) this actually sounds pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to it.
Also, I might be able to help you with some new portraits. I'm not that great, but pretty good if you can't find anybody else better.

Foldalake

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Woooow! This sounds great! I wanna be a wizard with an Ultra chaos blade-stick! But probably I'll end up as an elf as I always do. Actually Majesty is the only game in wich I don't really like elves.

quote:
Originally posted by TaleSpinner:
...I'm completely dried up in terms of world creation. But this I suspect won't be a huge problem after I've released the proto into the wild - people in this forum will definately have 1000 ideas on story, gameplay etc.

Maybe you could use stories from the "1000 Ardanian nights" forum as missons or game story?

Zhaoyun

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Way to go Talespinner I hope it all goes well.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good Talespinner!

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Jak hurredly puts on his WoD disguise and hopes Talespinner wont notice him standing there

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Just a post to tell you guys that I've seriously starting working on this. I've completed a rudimentary Fairgrounds last night and I'm working on a new 'explore' place. The Fairgrounds is a fun place to bash each other up - I hope this can be a testing ground for people to check out the different fighting abilities of different classes.

All in all, my aim with the first release of this game is just to introduce game concepts to the players and overall game play. Hopefully, we'll have a flood of ideas from people and then I can start picking through them and build the game world some more.

wavefront

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
After gaining a sufficient amount of XPs, your Giant Rat can evolve into a Huge Rat with sharper teeth and thicker hides etc. No special portraits though - unless someone offers to draw up some new creature portraits.
That shouldn't be a real big deal. The portraits could be "tweaked" a little at each level up. A little bit bigger jaw line, maybe adding bits of armor. I could do that without too much trouble (famous last words ).

Ct0fDiscord

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, yeah. I could use some previous beta testings when I fill out one of those beta testing applications so I can be a beta tester. Should be a good beta test.

TaleSpinner

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Sheesh, wanted to upload the latest and greatest version of the game into my host's webserver and then they give me a reply that they're doing some sort of maintenance/upgrade work on the servers and my site will be down till they iron things out

Couldn't pick a better time to do it, could they?

Anyway, here's what you'll get in the Beta-version (once it's up on the site):

1. Instant Revives
As everyone logging in is a potential tester, I've made it such that you get revived immediately after you get killed. In the final version, only Level 1 players will be instantly revived.

2. Valmorgan
Yes, everyone will start in the fabled city of Valmorgan. When you log in, you will see links to the Palace, the Blacksmith, the Marketplace, the Fairgrounds, the City Gates, the Ranger's Guild, the Temple to Agrela and the Gambling Hall.

3. Special Guest Star: Venn Fairweather
Surprise, Venn! You're in the game - as the Royal Advisor in the Palace, of course.

4. A Hidden Explore Level
This location is hidden and will only be revealed when you talk to someone. This is an level which you explore, encounter monsters etc.

Foldalake

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

You know TS that if you need any Beta testers I'll be around!

Ct0fDiscord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: TaleSpinner's text-based Majesty game? Reply with quote Back to top

Damn that webserver!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: