Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Monks are tha' bomb!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:22 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Falotar:
.... and Monks can take down those Ballista Towers practically singlehandedly.

------------------
"Krolm makes me stronger!...."

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:30 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Coming back to the Monks, we examine their fighting skills. They have high Parry and Strength; they are excellant melee combatants. Their speed and Dodge leave them somewhat handicapped against ranged heroes, but fortunately Paladins can help them with this. Added to all this, the Monks can deliver a critical hit which, unike the Barbs and WoDs, actually as a chance of connecting. So, we have a melee fighter who can practically prevent blows from landing on him, and who can deliver one-hit death. What could be better?
Finally, we come to magic and magic resistance. Now, it is a little known fact that Monks have one of the highest magic resistances in Majesty. With Iron Will, they can boost their MR up to over 70 - enough to resist most magic. Now, add the fact that they can learn Power Shock and Flame Shield at the Library, and that's a powerful magical weapon.....

What people don't take into account is that Ranged Heroes may require several Ardanian Days to take out a level 10+ Monk. In that amount of time I can cast an occassional heal or send out another hero to dispatch the Ranged hero.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Goldy_Bear (edited 30 September 2001).]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Falotar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 7:44 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
Use them when you need highly magic resistant heroes. They are very good against vampires.

Goldy

And against Black Phantoms. I had one level-seven Monk who defeated a B.P. by himself, without my help, that of other heroes, or buildings. It doesn't always hapen, but I would wager that no other hero could do this even once.

MWorius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:42 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
his tendency to go to an inn

Tendancy? I swear those monks must get so drunk they confuse inns with Temples to Dauros or something. :P

------------------
Here comes trouble!

MWorius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:51 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
WoDs, Wizards, and Priestesses "suck".

Wizards and priestesses aren't bad. Sure, both require some amount of babysitting, but I like the advantage to have powerful spells or a buttload of charmed undead slaves.

WoDs on the other hand are the epitome of unreliablilty

It's really a matter of playing style. I have a preference for barbarians because I like to hit the oppositon hard and fast. The other combinations I like are Krypta/Helia and healers and warriors. These are strategies I'm comfortable with, and which I've mastered. But I generally don't find monks to be very useful, and I could probably pull off a scenario better with a different kind of hero.

That doesn't mean I don't find monks useful. They did help my endgame strategy for Spires of Death. I had a bunch of petrified Yetis and Ice Dragons getting chewed up by my massive ballista defenses, and one or two of the monks were finishing them off my warriors and paladins were taking out the last two spires.

------------------
Here comes trouble!

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 2:01 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps it would have been beneficial if you had read al pf what I had to say. Pretty Cow had just gotten through with his illogical statement that Dwarves were slow, and that therefore Monks "suck". I answered that if he thought being slow made a hero bad, than he must think the enumerated heroes were also bad. I said I didn't.

As for Monks in SoD, I think you would have found they could have taken care of the monsters by themselves, without ballista help.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:39 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

With high level Monks, your inns become cheap guardhouses which make money from all heroes.

Put your inns where you want your Monks to be. When the enemy attacks (a nice Rock Golem for example) out pops your fighting machine.

A good leader gets his heroes where he wants them to be ahead of schedule and doesn't require winged feet to catch up.

Goldy

------------------

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:48 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:

Pretty Cow had just gotten through with his illogical statement that Dwarves were slow, and that therefore Monks "suck". I answered that if he thought being slow made a hero bad, than he must think the enumerated heroes were also bad. I said I didn't.

Actually I didn't say heroes sucked because they were slow, I said you had a thing for dwarves and protected their reputation by not mentioning them among your list of slow characters; and I suggested that this somehow proved you really hated monks. Then I told you to drink some hot chocolate. Geez, get my illogical statements right.

Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:02 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Yes Milord.

------------------
Praise Dauros!

RedChaos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:33 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

A seed of truth asserts itself: Speed is only a way to run away or towards enemies. If you plan ahead logic reason and common sense obviate the need for speed. Or in the Warrior of Discord's case just kill people from where you are. Fingers wanna type. But words just don't wanna say no more. Be musical.

------------------
Smitten with Love I am the Kitten

Xetu the Strong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:45 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Let's get this straight: monks have a speed of 1. All of the 'pedestalized' heroes have a speed of 1, save the solarus and the paladin. Monks are misunderstood. But guess what? THEY DON'T CARE! Do any other temple spells boost AR or AT? The only ones nearly as powerful belong to its sister temple! Monks have the highest magic resistance of any melee or ranged hero! They doon't even require babysitting! Wizards and Priestesses, you don't watch 'em: melting or decaying. Monks don't buy healing potions cause they rarely need them! With all their spells and flameshield, they have an AR of 19, matched only by a paladin with fully upgraded armor, a RoP, and SoL. What other heroes have a CH of 7% at level 7?? NONE!! What other heroes have that high dodge, parry, and resistance?? NONE!!
C'mon! Monks are tha' bomb!

BOB emperor of mongolia

Location: Punakaiki, West Coast, South Island, New Zealand, MonBOBlia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:44 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose monks would have to be pretty good at taking out their opponents as they are not allowed to call for backup without being expelled from their order and anyways your all wrong all heroes are pathetic when compared to the mighty PEASANT OF DISCORD whose aroma of stale beer and faeces can make even the hardiest souls quake with terror and flee to healthier climes

In the beginning there was the word and the word was oops that was about the time of the big bang..... coincidence?

[This message has been edited by BOB emperor of mongolia (edited 04 October 2001).]

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 8:03 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Xetu the Strong:
C'mon! Monks are tha' bomb!

Well, when someone puts it that way, I guess maybe I've been wrong all this time... well, maybe not, but if Xetu thinks something is awesome, IT MUST BE... well, maybe not.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
MWorius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 1:03 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
As for Monks in SoD, I think you would have found they could have taken care of the monsters by themselves, without ballista help.

That might be true, but I like to overkill.

Besides, that was my first time through the quest. So yeah, I might have overdone some aspects of it.

------------------
Here comes trouble!

Xetu the Strong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 4:49 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by MaDnEsS:
If Xetu thinks something is awesome, IT MUST BE.

Everyone loves espresso macchiatoes, right?? So that statement has been vindicated...Wait, maybe not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: