Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Monks are tha' bomb!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apple

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:38 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger:
"-Are you willing to flirt with Death?

-Is she cute?"

I think the important question is: is death even a SHE???

Death is a she. Whether or not she is cute, see for yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1563893339/qid=998887416/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_1/102-6904541-7913720

Tiger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:02 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, death is a she and she is cute.

neo_cleo17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:25 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

I guess...if you like sinister things.........

------------------
And you wonder why its the most expensive hero in the game...

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:06 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... that's not quite right... oh well, if it's on Vertigo, it's sure to have something wrong with it...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:08 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Monks are the best heroes in the game of Majesty. This is what I set out to prove.
First, we must overcome a few minor difficulties: a Monk's speed, his tendency to go to an inn, and his lack of equipment. Well, to start, a Monk is slow. But this is hardly a setback. Is the WoD fast? The Wizard? The Priestess? Does their lack of speed detract from their supporters' enthusiasm? Now, I am the last to pretend that that slowness is a benefit. But, as the Monk shares these attributes with aboout a quarter of the other heroes, it can hardly be counted as a disadvantage. Next, the inns. Now some people, especially those who prate about whether the various classes enjoy life, might simply see this as the Monk's own expression of exuberance. But, from a pragmatic angle, these visits to the local tavern can be seen as a boost to the economy. And it does not detract from the Monk's fighting, especially after the Expansion. Then, we come to the equipment. The Monk does not have upgradable weapons and armour? With his spells which boost weapon and armour ratings, does he need them? No healing potions? Dauros' sister Temple offers Healing at a low price. So, we see things balance themselves out, and render all such considerations irrelevent.
Now, let me take a brief detour and describe a subsidiary benefit of the Monks: the Temple to Dauros. When fully upgraded, this structure is second only to Krolm in Temple hitpoints. True, it is expensive, but for the good Sovereign, money is no object. Its spells, to, one might consider expensive, but they are good. Stoneskin boosts armour ratings at the low cost of g200, while for g800 you can increase a target's speed, dodge and parry (and possibly more) with Vigilance. Some might consider Petrify at g1500 a rip-off, as you can get Vines at g1000 with much the same effect, but when balanced with Agrela's Healing and Resurrection againt Fervus Healing and Reanimation, we actually discover that Dauros/Agrela is cheaper in the long run.
Coming back to the Monks, we examine their fighting skills. They have high Parry and Strength; they are excellant melee combatants. Their speed and Dodge leave them somewhat handicapped against ranged heroes, but fortunately Paladins can help them with this. Added to all this, the Monks can deliver a critical hit which, unike the Barbs and WoDs, actually as a chance of connecting. So, we have a melee fighter who can practically prevent blows from landing on him, and who can deliver one-hit death. What could be better?
Finally, we come to magic and magic resistance. Now, it is a little known fact that Monks have one of the highest magic resistances in Majesty. With Iron Will, they can boost their MR up to over 70 - enough to resist most magic. Now, add the fact that they can learn Power Shock and Flame Shield at the Library, and that's a powerful magical weapon.
And then, think of the other heroes that come with the choice of Dauros and Agrela! The Paladins are nearly as good as the Monks at melee, and they have all of the attributes that Monks lack. And the Healers provide from Healing services, so much that it's a wonder any of the heroes need healing potions. Dauros and Agrela is the best path, overall, and Monks are the brightest star of that path.

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:38 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Falotar:

Is the WoD fast? The Wizard? The Priestess?

Oh yeah? Well, dwarves are slow too. That proves that monks suck.

------------------
Ngahh... loincloth's riding up

RedChaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 9:02 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Warriors of Discord: They're just cool. With a little healing on your part they can take down all kinds of stuff. So Monks are almost as good. If only a Warrior of Discord was faster. But this is just me.

------------------
Smitten with Love I am the Kitten

Tiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:14 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree about Monks "boosting the economy" If anything healers and Monks are relatively benign to helping the economy compared to all other heroes. It is a bit different in the expansion the way they do buy potions but come on, if a monk visits an Inn it's only 4 extra gold. That takes a lot of visits to inns to make up for the 550 gold to recruit them.

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 7:51 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

But T', you'd have to admit that they do save your economy more money than the Fervus/ Krypta combo. With Healers, you wouldn't have to worry about healing your heroes so much, and with Monks always hidin' in the Inns or their Temples, you don't have to worry about healing them at all...

------------------
I never meant to cause you any sorrow.
I never meant to cause you any pain.
I only want one time to see you laughing.
I only want to see you laughing in the Purple Rain.
-Prince

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 5:30 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Very well, Pretty Cow, and by the same token, WoDs, Wizards, and Priestesses "suck". I don't think so, but if that's the way you feel...

Tiger, perhaps "boosting the economy" is a little strong. I was simply pointing out that frequent visits to inns could be seen in more than one way. As for paying back the 550, their abilities are payment enough.

MaD, flippancy will get you nowhere. Monks do not spend all their time in inns or their Temple, any more than Cultists do.

[This message has been edited by Falotar (edited 01 September 2001).]

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 7:48 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

flippancy? Cultist visit Inns? flippancy? nowhere?
I thought culties were too busy runnin' away or dyin' to visit anything... particularly the Inns.

Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:34 pm    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

Running away. Presicely. Heroes can Fleein Terror to Inns, and since Cultists spend a great deal of their time Fleeing in Terror, it follows that they must spend some of their time in inns.

Tiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:04 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

If monks would spends as much time visiting Fairgrounds as they did Inns, I would be happier with them.

DreamRain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:41 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

To really understand/evaluate/appreciate (or not) Monks (or any Hero) you have to play several games (easy or hard ones, quest or freestyle, doesn't matter) where you recruit only that hero. It's hard to truly study any of the hero's AI patterns when you have a variety of them (as one usually does) mixing it up.

The inn thing isn't really a problem at all if you understand how the Monk 'thinks' and plan your city with that in mind. Monks in my games (quest or freestyle) don't spend much time in inns, I assure you.

Anyway...I'm not trying to say Monk's better than another Hero, cause they all got pro's and cons...all the Heroes' both suck and are the bomb in some fashion.

one day I should post some of my all-monk (or all-Rogue, or all-Elf etc) goof-off savegames to prove my points...LOL

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 3:39 am    Post subject: Monks are tha' bomb! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Falotar:

Very well, Pretty Rain, and by the same token, WoDs, Wizards, and Priestesses "suck". I don't think so, but if that's the way you feel...

Falotar! How dare you question my infallible logic! What I'm not trying to say is that characters suck because they are slow. I'm pretty slow myself, to tell you the truth. However on my right hand is a mouse and on the other, rain is very very ugly, therefore it would be utterly senseless to attatch it to the word pretty, which proves you got my name wrong and everyone hates me with a raging passion. And since I don't have three hands I should shut up now but I didn't. You always forget dwarves when you mention slow characters. This simply means you think that dwarves are the best majesty character and in order to protect them from any criticism whatsoever, you neglect to mention their faults when you should and instead masquerade as a monk lover when you've hated their guts, even though you think monkeys are pretty cool. Well I have news for you: Well actually I don't, but you can pick up a paper at virtually every newsstand. Wait, I do have some information to give you though: monks stink. Like poo. I think we both already knew that, seeing as you only pretend to be a monk fan. Yes, we've been over that, but I have real news: Your dwarves are the ones who really need to take a trip to the trash can. filthy short bearded creatures. I hate 'em. They can build but so can peasants and gnomes. And gnomes rock. Like, umm... rockers. Yeah! Down with elves and dwarves! Long live the gnomes! Yeahhh! I'll get your dwarves falotar and their little um, hold on... Ok, got it! I'll get your dwarves and their unweildy hammers toO! and I'll CLEAN their BeARDS!!! AhahahahahahahahA!!!!!! (ooh, palindrome!)

------------------
I am a CHAMPION!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: