Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Temple Combinations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falotar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

My favourite Temple combination is Dauros/Agrela/Lunord (three cheers for the others who chose this way). My main reasons, actually, are moral; Law over Chaos, Life over Death. My preference for Lunord is based on the artistic value of their temples, as opposed to the sand-yards of Helia.

Still, on the whole, there are 'practical' reasons for Dauros/Agrela. First off, the spells. Agrela's Healing is half as expensive as Fervus's, and Resurrection is cheaper (to use a vulgar term) than Reanimation. Agrela's lvl 2 spell, Blessing, is a for more useful spell then Illusionary Hero: the one increases stats. the other creates an illusion which I've never seen a monster pay attention to. Krypta's spell Wither is a good enough spell, but does it really match stoneskin and Vigilance? Animate Bones is a superfluity; why spend g800 for a spell when your Priestesses will do it for free? Chaos's only victory, in the spell department, is Vines over Petrify.
Next, we have the temples themselves. All aesthetic considerations aside, the ordered temples are better than their chaotic rivals due to their greater hitpoints. Dauros, at least, has more hitpoints then Fervus, but perhaps Krypta is equal to Agrela.
Lastly, and most importantly, the heroes. Supporters of Fervus constantly harp on the cheapness of their heroes, but really, is 900 so much less then 1000, and 400 so much cheaper then 550? And Healers, at g300, rank just above Gnomes for the most inexpensive hero. So, the evils are not much cheaper-in a monetary sense-than their good counterparts.
Besides that, the heroes of Duaros are of much better quality than the heroes of Fervus. If I go Krypta, and build a Temple to Fervus, the most constantly heard voicelines are "Pretty bright light-gyahh...", and, even more so, "Play... nice...(thump)". The trouble with the WoDs are their poor fighting skills: they rarely dodge or parry a blow (at least they hit their enemies in the Expansion; in the Original they didn't even do that). Paladins, though they have half the hitpoints, can slay dragons singlehandedly while WoDs en masse can't take one down without sending some of their own with it. And there is no comparison at all between Monks and Cultists, the one with high dodge, parry, and magic resistance, combined with high strength and intelligence and a formidible critical hit ability, the other with low hitpoints, poor aim, and practically no 'secondary' skills (dodge, parry, magic resist.).
In spite of the above, I sometimes go with Krypta. Why? For one thing, I secretly admire the Priestesses' tenacity. I may wish that they wouldn't try to fight back a goblin horde without skellie support, but I can't help but respect them for it. Then, on the other hand, their are the Healers. I greatly mislike these followers of Agrela. If I mayu allude to past experience: once, in 'Slay the Mighty Dragon' the level 25 Adept was fighting Vendral and another dragon singlehandedly. Hard by was the Temple of Agrela, full of Healers. And they refused to even look at the Adept. And, there are the battles between a Paladin and a vampire, where a Healer supports the Paladin until just the before the vamp's death. The healer gets distracted, the Paladin loses her support, and the vampire wins. Lastly, if an Agrelan temple is razed, the residents will immediately "Leave Ardania" without a second thought.
So, here's my rating of Temples:
1. Dauros
2. Krypta
3. Agrela
4. Lunord
5. Krolm
6. Helia
7. Fervus

------------------
Praise Dauros!

KittyKat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 4:26 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Falotar:

Animate Bones is a superfluity; why spend g800 for a spell when your Priestesses will do it for free?

I use it lots, especially in Dragony scenarios -- if I've got the money, why not? A gaggle of skellies can hold off most enemies and are fantastic against Dragons.

quote:

Next, we have the temples themselves. All aesthetic considerations aside, the ordered temples are better than their chaotic rivals due to their greater hitpoints. Dauros, at least, has more hitpoints then Fervus, but perhaps Krypta is equal to Agrela.

I like Fervus' natural temple -- it's very cool. And come on, how many of the ordered temples have killing floors, like Krypta's?

quote:

The trouble with the WoDs are their poor fighting skills: they rarely dodge or parry a blow (at least they hit their enemies in the Expansion; in the Original they didn't even do that). Paladins, though they have half the hitpoints, can slay dragons singlehandedly while WoDs en masse can't take one down without sending some of their own with it.

Well, now you're pickin' on my kids, and I've got to rush to their defense. I've had WoDs take down Dragons very quickly and without needing help from me. If two of them are after a Dragon, sometimes they have the little reptile chopped to bits before I can heal either of them. The only times I've had trouble with WoDs is when a level 1 WoD heads stubbornly after a Daemonwood. At which point Mommy Sovereign (that's me, not Twylah! ) hangs around with a few healing spells when needed, and after a couple of levels gained, the WoD is more than capable of taking down the Daemonwood.

quote:

I greatly mislike these followers of Agrela. If I mayu allude to past experience: once, in 'Slay the Mighty Dragon' the level 25 Adept was fighting Vendral and another dragon singlehandedly. Hard by was the Temple of Agrela, full of Healers. And they refused to even look at the Adept.

Hm -- I've never seen a Healer actually heal a follower of another god/dess. I've seen them heal the non-religious Warriors, and my Tax Collectors, and my guards, and sometimes my wizards. But I've never seen them heal Adepts, Solarii, Monks or Paladins.

KittyKat

------------------

HUWAAHH! .....hi.

Pretty Cow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:52 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by KittyKat:

I've never seen a Healer actually heal a follower of another god/dess

Actually, they do heal adepts, I just checked. I assume they heal guys from other temples too. But if they aren't paying attention at a critical time, there's always the sovreign healing spell.

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:52 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

Hm, actually, I believe most of everything related to this question is personal preference. We like a particular Temple (or Temples), then drudge up logical reasons to support it.

Now, let me see: with A.B., I still think it's too expensive for practical use. but then, I'm poor on economics anyway, so I'm not the best judge on a spell's price.
I *ahem* like Fervus's Temple too, just not as much as Dauros' or Agrela's. And, I ask you, why would the 'good' faiths want a "killing floor"?
Hmmph, then you're luckier then me. I've had guildfuls of lvl 10 WoDs taken out by a dragon (or was it two?). And it is a proven fact that Paladins can take out one or more dragons without serious losses (Valley o' Serpents comes to mind). Well, um, any level one hero's going to be killed by a daemonwood-even Monks. But a lvl 7 WoD, unaided, is still more than likely to fall before the evil trees, whereas a Monk or Paladin of the same level will triumph.
Oh, I rush to assure you-Healers do heal other Temples' adherents. However, I've also seen them abandon their own precious Warriors to the tender mercies of a vampire before (no, the Healer was not under attack).

In conclusion, my whole tirade was directed, not at followers of Fervus in general, but at those who follow him for the wrong reasons. Before the Expansion, Dauros was hailed as the best Temple to follow. Those were dark days for Cultists. Now, with the new and improved WoD, the tables have been turned. If Monks could talk, they might very well say "These are the times that try men's souls." Law has been deserted for Chaos, and the same might be said for the Moon and the Sun. But, should the balance be swung again to Dauros, these people will immediately leave Fervus in the lurch and join the Paladins, and it will be up to-dare I say?-good Fervans like you and MaDnEsS to keep Chaos alive.

Can you guess? This post was directed at KittyKat.

------------------
Praise Dauros!

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

as chaotic as that sermon was... umm.. well.. thank you, I guess.

Falotar... Dauronian in heart, Feruvian in soul.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:56 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

You forget the defensive power of the healer. When the other's are too busy buying weapons or rings of protection and a rock golem attacks teh temple of Agrela what happens? All the healers come out hit it go up a level heal each other, if one dies, they reappear. eventually they've killed the golem and are all level 10. Isn't that nice.

Apple

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:42 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, but there is a flaw in that plan.

At Level 7, Healers get the AoP spell. If all the Healers cast it, the Rock Golem would not be able to attack them. So it will attack the temple instead. And the temple could get destroyed...

RedChaos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 2:51 am    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

Did they really upgrade Warriors of Discord in the expansion? Oh my. My favorites just got better! How can Dauros be percieved as superior? Yes monks are extremely! hard to kill, as are healers and paladins, but Warriors of Discord would still be there hacking away. Monks are too worried about saving themselves and Warriors of Discord back down only when their low level and even then very rarely.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 10:16 am    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by RedChaos:
Did they really upgrade Warriors of Discord in the expansion? Oh my.

Wait until you see the Howl of Discord.

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Steven Of Nine)

"Romance is not a malfunction"
- Kes, "Lifesigns"

RedChaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:35 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

Howl of Discord? Is that anything like Super Strike? What exactly does it do?

------------------
Smitten with Love I am the Kitten

Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 8:43 am    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by RedChaos:
Howl of Discord? Is that anything like Super Strike? What exactly does it do?

A Warior of Discord learns the Howl at the impressive level of 1. When he gets into range of any enemies, he howls and does miniscule damage to them. Of course, more damage is done each time the WoD gains a level, so that at level 35 he can kill skeletons, City Guards and Peasants just by his Howl. Also, his Howl is so damaging to a person's eardrums that almost any hero will Flee in Terror whenever they hear it. There, does that tell what the Howl does. (And it is literally a howl.)

RedChaos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:16 am    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, that's bad. Howl of Discord threatens my way of life. If they're so good then everyone is going to (or already has) jump on bandwagon. Chaos is no longer the rebel. Where is the great equalizer? Mausoleums, Howl of Discord, they've become too power ful. Death and Chaos have no worthy opponents. It is no longer a challenge to make it work. It's the sure-fire way to win and they've killed them. This is so good it's bad. I'm going to have to embrace Dauros to remain misunderstood. I don't even like Dauros.

------------------

MaDnEsS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 4:16 am    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, most everyone usually picks Dauros over Fervus... but if you want to join everyone else, go for it... I'll just keep goin' against the flow and doin' what I want to do, not what others expect me to...

Oh, and yes, WoDs are much better, they're awesome, but every hero got improved, so it's not really all that big of a thing. Actually, Solarii probably got the biggest advantages in the expansion, but that's another debate altogether...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
neo_cleo17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:16 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

*sigh* I will always remain true to my temple...

------------------
And you wonder why its the most expensive hero in the game...

RedChaos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 4:03 pm    Post subject: Temple Combinations Reply with quote Back to top

All that fuss over nothing. I'll have to wait until they ship the expansion to me before I jump to any more conclusions. Would any followers of Dauros please explain their choice? I find it illogical to employ anoyone who isn't going to use the blacksmith.

------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: