Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

How about Gnomes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Kyosuke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 10:05 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

This topic must have been done before, but i'm asking anyway.
Why Gnomes? Here, i'll make a list of pros and cons (and then you'll see why i don't use them!), and you can all tell me how wrong i am.

Pros:
-Gnomes help build and repair buildings.
-Gnomes move fast!
-Gonmes learn some nice spells later on.
-Gnomes use fairly good weapons.
-Gnomes are easy to build and replace.

Cons:
-Dwarves build and repair better.
-Elves are faster.
-Um, DO Dwarves and Elves learn magic? I don't know...
-Elves and Dwarves get better weapons.
-I find myself only having to replace Dwarves if i'm facing stronger monsters like Ocouli or Dragons. Elves, i have around for kicks and nothing more. But with Gnomes, i hear "But... I'm just... A gnome..." every two minuites.
-Gnomes do NOT count torwards total hero count!

So, these facts in place, why would anyone want to use Gnomes in the first place?
Just curious, really.

Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 3:11 am    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

more pros:
*gnomes are good for your economy
(*) in NE you will havethem as normal, more powerful heros from lvl 10 (I think) on
* elves are weeak, bad for your economy and more sings (performs as bards) than attacks
* elven boost to economy has been modified to +50% instead of +100% in 1.3
*dwarves are slooow - if you don't have adepts, you don't can't use them as fighting heros
* gnomes give you a great kickstart at any quest or multiplayer - you can attack in <10 day!
More cons:
*yes, gnomes and dwarves do learn and use magic
Conclusion - Gnomes rule! Especially their "find smth" line...

IAMCANDAIN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 4:03 am    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

Gnomes Rules!......

i agree with what Socceror said
Especilly in muiltplayer when u can get alot faster than somone going for dwarves

Dark Kyosuke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 9:09 am    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

I made the distinct mistake of making this post when the last time i'd used Gnomes was long, long ago.

Shortly after making this post, i played a game using Gnomes. DEAR GOD, do they ever give you such a boost in building power!!! I mean, holy crap. They do spend more time sleeping than anything else, but its really great to be able to build three buildings at once, then upgrade two more just after- I've never upgraded to Level 3 palace to quickly- I started the job, and then a minuite later? "Your Highness! The Palace renevations are finished!"

Gnomes DO rule.

Kit5150

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 2:52 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

i totally agree that gnomes rock!

ive somewhat perfected a way to have a smooth gnome to elf transition at the outset of a new game for excellent booming.

i wrote all about it on MFO in the 4 marketplace boom thread. take a look if interested!

Blastoiseu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 9:38 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

Well 1.3 decreased the building speed of the gnomes and the dwarves so take that pro outta there.

~Blastoiseu

------------------
Why are you looking here?

Signature v1.5

Xus Amegoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 11:09 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

On 1.2 a high level dwarf could take 3 swipes with his hammer and finish a building.

------------------
I look into the mirror; the Warrior's all I see.
------------------
Scions of Correction: If You're Wrong, We'll Fix It. If We're Wrong, So What?

Xendar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 8:28 am    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

Another pro:

Gnomes will go into the fairgrounds when not busy (I only do magic tourneys but I know they enter them) and will rise in level (often past 10) fairly quickly. I haven't confirmed this, but I think they also build faster at higher levels.

But 9 Gnomes running around can be invaluable if you need to quickly repair key buildings even in the late game and are much more durable (at levels 10+) then peasants when doing so...

-Xendar

Xus Amegoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 1:42 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

In NE once the gnomes get to a certain level they become real heroes. In other words, they count towards palace upgrades but are also stronger and have better attacks.

------------------
------------------

Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 3:52 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

Just had an idea - then you really will be able to have an easy gnomes only game as you will be able to upgrade the palace for wiz guild & spells! It rules!

Dark Kyosuke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 1:01 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

What is Eviction Boom?

More to the point, how do you get rid of Gnomes once you've brought them in? Some people talk like its possible...

Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 1:27 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Kyosuke - eviction Boom seems to be a strat when you build very fast and by the words of Kit (or was it Apple) "hit them first, hit them hard and keep hitting until you win". The other alternative is to make your kingdom as strong as possible with as little fight as possible and then crush the other player.
To get rid of gnomes you have to destroy all their hovels so fast they won't be able to rebuild - if you don't do it in about 1/3 a day, teh hovels will pop up again. The easiest trick is to save money, take them off the repair route, lightning bolt them almost to death and then with 3 fast lightning bolts destroying them. the gnomes will leave and you will be able to build elves/dwarves. There are some other strategies involving rogues and reward flags, but this is the easiest - just search the forums. Some people really use things like this in multiplayer - first gnomes to start building, then dwarves to make some ballistas for protection, then elves for normal gameplay and money.

Xus Amegoy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:00 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

I bet those warrior-gnomes are going to be hilarious. Imagine a warrior screaming "diiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" in a really high pitched voice.

------------------
------------------

Dark Kyosuke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 8:54 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

That's what i thought the boom was. No thank you, i'll stick to one race only. ;p

HolyWarrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 11:36 pm    Post subject: How about Gnomes? Reply with quote Back to top

The definitive moment of my play game with a gnome, interestingly enough.
Playing Quest for the Magic Ring, I had discovered the ring site and had built a chain of wiz towers out there. The ring was there for the taking, if the black phantoms weren't around.
Then out of nowhere comes little Dalbur Bupo, around 6th level. I still thought "Oh no, the little guy's got a death wish". I made him invisible, and the little guy grabbed the ring and hightailed it outta there without a phantom in sight. I slapped down a 500g explore flag on the return site and Dalbur made it there in nothing flat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: