Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Question: Do you like rogues?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clipinski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 1:11 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't had much luck with them... They don't seem to fight well, and personally, I just don't like "extorting" taxes from my people

Tantheus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 1:22 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

Rogues are great for exploring because they are so damn greedy. They seem to survive better than Rangers, but you have to bribe them to explore. Besides who doesn't want to hear "Where's the gold? BAM!..KICK!.. PUNCH!>>!@#$%!%" too darn funny..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
A.Lobos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 3:22 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

I always build a Rogues Guild, mainly for the extortion feature. They mostly just go around stealing from guilds and looting gravestones. They do seem to survive rather well, probably from the fact they run away so often.

Live to fight another day!

Asterisk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 3:31 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

I like Rogues Guilds for the poison.

------------------
"Get that thing outta my face!"
"Abderrazzaq!"
"I'll do it...for a price."
"Nice arrow.."
"Where's the blacksmith?"
"You realy should paint the palace blue!"
"Ooooh. Pointy!"
"Smash good!"
"Life goes on..."
"Kiss of Death?"
"Here, Kitty kitty kitty..."
"..."
"The Wind Lord Blesses me."
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy."
"I'm too good for you."
"Urp?"

And that's it. I'm going back to the lounge.</twisted quote>

Sluggy Freelance

clipinski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 3:48 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh... Yes... Poison. I forgot about that one!

Good one!

Ayodon Pyr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:04 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

I like my heroes to have poisoned weapons, but I also find rogues to be rather inexpensive, and decent explorers.

Mark Dewell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 7:57 am    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

Rogues are also cheap and quick. There are several quests were you need to get a few heros in action pretty damm quick right from the word go. Rogues are my choice everytime for this situation (although you do have to make use of reward flags to persuade them to fight for you).

Kit5150

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 10:22 am    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately, I must rain on the parade and say I don't prefer rogues to rangers. I mean, c'mon, rogues have about as much loyalty as Bill Clinton!

Seriously, all they do is steal my money. One of the most economical parts in the game is after gold originally starts running thin. The taxing of houses becomes a significant factor (I always take my houses off the tax route and let them build up to 200 or so gold each, manipulate my tax collectors to only bring home 1000 gold, then tax all the houses once). With rogues, the houses never get up too high, so I extort, and the rogues charge me an arm and a leg (not to mention they already stole half of my money to begin with), and my financial situation in the game seems to run parallel with my personal financial situation - never enough.

As for poison, in my opinion, poison is good for a single player game, but nearly useless for multiplayer where most of the enemy heroes have significant hit points to where losing one every now and then just isn't worth it.

And that's my two cents.

Wag the Cat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 10:22 am    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

I love rogues! They are by far the easiest unit to influence, which is especially important in a game where the most difficult thing to do is get your heroes to do what you want them to do. Poison is always a high early game priority for me too. Haven't had to extort yet, although I have seen some tempting figures on the extort button. They do require loyalty buildings in multiplayer, something to watch out for.

Vorlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 3:42 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone checked to see whether using loyalty increasing structures will stop rogues from stealing from their own side?

The stealing doesn't bother me too much, I tend to chuck a lot of mony at my people anyway so they can outfit themselves as best possible, with rogues you don't have to spend any time doing this as they will finance themselves (Elves are also self-financing, doing bard work).

Rune knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 9:18 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

well for me putting up loyalty buildings didn't help i had 9.
rogues emptied my storage of gold.
got pissed off
dont use rogues anymore.

Apple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 9:25 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

For me, rangers seem to last longer than the rogues. Seen a rogue going for a 100 gold explore flag next to a Daemonwood before? Well, I scrolled in time to see their gravestones (gravesticks?) many times.

Sometimes, I just build the guild for the poison and extort. I don't recruit any Rogues and therefore, I get all the good of the Rogue Guild without the bad. Of course protecting the guild is going to be a problem.

Daveman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2000 7:57 am    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

From my experiences so far I like them. As noted above they respond well to reward flags. I don't mind their stealing so much since they seem very willing to spend that money on improvements.

UncleBob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2000 6:24 pm    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... I almost always build a rogues guild for the poison, and I have used extort several times. (Ususally to fund Lightning Storm in emergencies.)

But I don't have a lot of use for the rogues themselves. The stealing doesn't bother me much, cause I figure they'll spend a lot of it in my shops anyway. What bugs me is that they just don't seem very effective at anything. They go out, find monsters, run away, and lead the monsters back to town.

The one exception to this was in the Brashnard's Sphere scenario where I ended up with a 15th level, teleporting, fireball-casting Rogue named Vynee. He was pretty effective.

Mark Dewell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2000 8:34 am    Post subject: Question: Do you like rogues? Reply with quote Back to top

Rogues are usually my first choice of guilds to build, being quick and cheap to recruit. Thus allowing rapid upgrade to level 2 Palace, and with use of explore flags they will quickly expand your area available for building (Rangers are wimps and usually want to spend their first few days buying healing potions, when your priority is to build build build)!

Extort is dammed useful, I usually set my Tax Collectors to ignore anything under 150 Gold and use the Extort feature to occasionally collect all house taxes in one swoop. This allows my TCs to concentrate on the guilds.

Rogues stealling from my own buildings, so what? They can only spend it around my town.

PS. What did make me laugh was the 'Deal with a Demon' enemy guilds attacking their own guild buildings when I just put a 200Gp reward on them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Heroes & Guilds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: