Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Quest Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 8:11 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Eagerly I installed it only to find that Majesty had been uninstalled, and with it, all saved info

As point of note, the original Majesty wasn't installed; the Majesty Expansion is installed to a new folder. It's probably too late now, but you could have found the .sav files from the original Majesty and copied them over to the MajX folder

Just in case anyone else wants to know...

------------------
Thwip!

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 3:45 pm    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

1) Money. I could build up an army to rival all if I could afford the warriors.. And the blacksmith, and the library, And the wizard's guild upgrades, and the temple warriors, and the bounties, and the guard towers.. I need to know how to make money when up to my neck in spiders.

If you start building a blacksmith, library etc., they will end up as very expensive spider food. Start out with a market and a rogueís guild. Upgrade both of those structures to maximum level A.S.A.P.

2) (Speaking of spiders) That DAGBLASTED witch king. Bounties don't seem to grab the attention of anyone willing to fight him, and by the time I can even see him to put a bounty on his head, I'm out of the money to support ANYONE in a fight. I've made it to the point when that 3 headed dragon was attacking and the Witch king was STILL somewhere out there in the shadows tossing spiders at me. He's VERY tough to flag and when discovered has an annoying tendancy to seek the nearest shadowy area and stay there, which brings me to...

If you want to flag the Witch King, do it the very first time he appears. Be quick though, because he will hide the first chance he gets. If you use you mini map and click on him right away, you can do this without too much difficulty. Once you tag him with as little as a 100g flag you will be able to clearly see him(the flag) any time he crosses a visible area of the (mini) map.

3) The shadows of the unknown. If my heros knew where the enemies were, they'd go do something about 'em before they get into my city infrastructure. Problem is, if I send my heroes out to explore, they leave the city undefended as hordes and hordes of spiders eat up my critical buildings. Not only that, but they tend to make rather unhelpful beelines to the flag, leaving a lot of shadow up there. Rangers are supposed to have a desire to explore but they don't seem to want to DO anything in this quest.

You donít need to see something in order for your heroes to kill it. You may not be able to see in the dark regions but, most of your heroes can see farther than they reveal to you on the map. Havenít you ever seen a berserk hero chase a monster that has moved into a dark area of the map? They can see a lot more than they are telling you. This range depends on the hero and what he or she is looking for. I think Rogues for example, can smell gold for about 100 miles. Paladins can sense evil just about any place on the planet. You on the other hand can only see whatís already been revealed by your heroes and reported (somehow) back to the castle. So for example, a paladin (hint, hint) will know that an evil monster likeÖ oh, I donít knowÖ letís say the Witch King, is just south of her in that dark unexplored area on the map.

------------------
"Hey, it's good to be the King."
- Mel Brooks History of the World Part I

[This message has been edited by wavefront (edited 30 October 2001).]

Pak-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:31 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

*SUPREME D'OH!* Ah well. Still looking for tips. :^)

Pak-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 4:30 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

I did it.... I DID IT! WHO DA MAN!? WHO DA MAN!? I DA MAN! And so are all you men and woman who posted on this topic ever. It all came down to a climactic battle between the level 50 warrior (I never even learned his name..) Uri Shek (SP?), The 2 headed dragon dude, and 3 (Count 'em 3!) black phantoms. Fortunately I caught that blasted witch king early on and had managed to save up a lot of healing money. My preistesses handled the other dragons. I was focused on the big fight. I managed to keep my warrior alive long enough to get Uri and one of the phantoms, but I was still left with two phantoms and a rather nasty multiheaded dragon, and I was at my last pennies. Calling on the wisdom I've gained through the forums I extorted all I could (Did you know that if you do a market day before you extort you get to extort just that much more money?) But even extorting was beginning to fail. I was at my last 200. Crossing my fingers, I cast it on my warrior, when who should appear on the horizon but a particularly brave level 8 paladin accompanied by a healer. The three teamed up. The healer kept the two alive, and the three took down the phantoms and the nasty dragon with relative ease. I couldn't have been more amazed if Sean Connery HIMSELF had walked into the room and said, "We are VICTORIOUS, Your Majesty!"

Now on to the northern expansion! HUZAH!

DBD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 11:15 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

First thing,

thanks for the tips in this thread it gives me a new hope through the darkness! :-)

About this quest I'm surprised how much harder it is than all the expert quests that I all finished at my first try (but unlike some advanced quests and even one beginner quest!).
DBD

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 11:25 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by DBD:
....About this quest I'm surprised how much harder it is than all the expert quests....

I find the difficulty of this Quest to be the luck factor (which is major). I have won this one several times. I have also lost it several times. If I get a bad start I throw up my hands and start over.

I actually think that the downloadable quest - Wrath of Krolm is much harder. The difficulty is not really in luck. It is just flat hard and relies more on superior strategy for success. I can say the same for the Expansion quests. All of which are a level of difficulty above the original quests.

Goldy

------------------
Yarg!!!!!!!!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
DBD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 8:34 pm    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks god I did it! Surely this thread help me a lot... despite I did it a bit in a way different than the one advised. Well I think one is major, it's RoK my god how I could have missed that!! (believed it was only for the heroes barbarians not all!).

A second thing, I wrote I finished all expert quests except this one. Not true I haven't played yet the downloadable quest.

About luck factor too important in this quest, I tend to agree but after this win Iím not sure anymore that itís so major.

Because I tried to achieve the Day of Reckoning and had many bad lucks in applying on the the tricks, having the Paladin.

Despite that, I failed having Paladin, Day 09 I had peace in Realm, with only 3 spiders wandering in town, one rat running to town for death and one Evil Oculus wandering at a border of the map. The three ghosts wave and the Queen witch already destroyed. I could hardly believed my eyes.

Thatís why, perhaps even in this map, bad luck isnít really so important, perhaps just luck requiring applying different tactics.

Thereís just the random lightenings that could either :
- destroy a building put for building
- destroy a hurt but escaping heroe
- destroy a poor young wizard.
Useless random, perhaps it adds a bit of mood?

Anyway, I tried a lot to have the Paladins, had very bad luck in that, finally gave up for Warrior of discords and anyway had a clear win.

DBD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 10:17 pm    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I just win once this quest (in fact all quests!) and need try more to be sure having new tricks for this quest. But for the information, here the choices I applied:

In previous games desperatly lost, I already did :
- Disabled the repairing of houses.
- Used rogues and flags to discover area.
- Improving Rogue guild to level 2 to apply money retrieve through Rogue guild.
- Put Market near to Palace door.

Not enough to win.

I newly apply due to what read here :
- Using RoK at big battles.
- Donít use a single Ranger
- Donít use any wizard towers, until late (I saw nobody mentioning them here, I was used to use them a bit in this quest and in most other a lot for having magic shield and invisibility spells available for help some heroes, and for use channel magic to attack monsters and disturb them from heroes).
- Donít use any rangers in the whole first half of the quest.
- Trying to have Paladins firstly (never had them before in this quest), in fact I failed to.

New tricks I applied and didn't in my previous try of this quest. Perhaps due to reading of his thread again, or perhaps just hazard or just new choices :
- Having only four wizards and the 50 level warrior for the town defending agaisnt the spiders.
- Building only the Rogue guild at first not even a Market in parallal or anything else.
- Systematically report any recruiting in most newly discovered guilds until later when having gold beside and hot fights done.

For building I did :
1 : Rogue guild only up to level 2 (only this building in order to shorter this phase).
2 : Disabled the repairing of all houses.
3 : Upgrade of Magic guild to level 2, proved to be probably useless later as I didnít used wizard towers but could anyway for better enchanted weapons.
4 : In parallal building of both Market and Library up to final upgrades. The Library for planned 4 wizards, storm spell and more clever future heroes.
5 : During upgrade of Market and Library, I started in parallal building of Blacksmith up to level 2 and later to level 3 and research level 4.

Much later in the game, during a quiet phase, but the game probably already win (free realm, good amount of gold and heroes, buildings safe, just waiting next assault):
6 : I gradually enabled again repairing of houses from near to farther.
7 : I add another warrior guild but add other warriors of discord only later.
8 : I even add a Training ground, not necessary but at least it was full of heroes when waiting the next assault in the quiet realm.
9 : I add few wizard towers arround the town but donít really used them, only a bit for the last assault.

I could have add a statue once the Market, Library and Blacksmith was constructed and upgraded fully for the first two level 2 for the Blacksmith.
I could have add a trading post once the spiders destructed.

For recruiting I did :
1 : None for the first fight
2 : Once the library building has well progress, recruit of 3 wizards added to the 50 level wizard.
3 : As soon as possible the recruit of a Rogue.
4 : When I saw the recruting rogue was too lazy to go to explore flags, recruit of 2 other rogues. I think having 3 rogues as soon as possible and use many different flags arround to explore the map and take first either Paladin either Warrior of discord is probably the best.
5 : After this first phase, the recuiting follow the events, Warriors of discords because Paladins was impossible, some priestress when I could because I like them, some barbarian also to protect surround guilds from spiders, Wizards the few times I lost one, Healers too late available, all members of all guilds when I had the money.
6 : In general, I tend to systematically delay any recruiting in most newly discovered guilds until later when having gold beside and hot fights done.
7 : I also delay recruit replacement because of death until fight finished or cash available beside, except for wizards that jump to level 5 in this quest after just few steps in the realm!

For taxing I did :
1 : Mainly taxing through rogue guild periodically, sometimes for urgent need of money.
2 : Set Tax collectors to min retrieve and min return to same amount for each collector but different from each other from 250 to 400 (usually during the game progress I gradually increase the amount up to 1000 that is the max and use a scale like 600, 800 and 1000).
2 : Donít care of Tax Collector and few care of Rats stealing the Marketplace or killing tax collector (usually I take more care of this sort of stuff).
3 : Removing taxing for long range building as new discovered guilds, it gives fresh air to town from Rats and anyway main taxing in this quest is through Rogues.
4 : During quiet phases I let tax collectors work more except if need of money for something.

For exploring I did what explained in this thread :
1 : No Rangers
2 : Thieves and explore flags (200 gold).

For fights well :
1 : Iím a bit limited and to be true, once the first ghosts wave, Queen and spiders are destructed, I think helping heroes is more a fun choice than a necessity.
2 : Thereís mainly one thing for this quest, RoK it rocks!
3 : I used a lot attack flags for big baddies but I donít think itís really mandatory. Perhaps for the Queen and spiders it helps really with Warriors of discord and Barbarians.
DBD

wavefront

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:11 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Goldy about the "luck" factor but a difficult quest also has to do with how "smart" the monster attacks are. In some quests the bad guys seem to coordinate their attacks with great care (attacking just what they need to in order to make you lose).

------------------
"Hey, it's good to be the King."
- Mel Brooks History of the World Part I

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

I just replayed this Quest today. I hadn't tried it for a year or more.

I lost the first 5 tries. What went wrong? The level 50 Wizard and Warrior "fled in terror" from Dirgo and would not engage him immediately. The Rogues would not explore or died before they got anywhere. The Witch King never came out of the fog. And was still spitting out spiders by the time the phantoms came. I was dead broke by the time I discovered my first guilds Krolm, Lunord, Helia. Why? The spiders made it impossible to develop any economy. Since there was no gold to recruit or RoK the spiders ate those three undefended temples.

Then. On the sixth try...

First, the level 50 Warrior dispatched Dirgo immediately. The Wizard knocked off the minotaurs. Very few houses were destroyed giving me a much larger source of income from houses when extort was needed.

Second, Rogues chased explore flags and actually found stuff. I couldn't stop Rangers from exploring. All they wanted to do in previous tries was buy potions and defend endless spiders.

Third, the Witch King decided to squat next to the Wizard's Guild instead of hiding in the fog. Wasn't that obliging? Since the havoc caused by spiders was short lived I had a chance to build money makers. And my Rogues and Rangers found all the Guilds including the blessed dwarves, elves, and the gnome.

The only other Quest that is as frustrating to me is Vigil of a Fallen Hero. It really bothers me when luck determines whether you win or lose. I would rather lose because of poor strategy on my part. I would rather play Spires of Death than this one.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

Well....this was my seventh try.

Day 0:

Flag Dirgo with 400 Gold. Place market at front door. Lightning Bolt zaps market.

I quit and count to 100 in lieu of throwing mouse across room. Note: This is a good reason why I shouldn't own a cordless mouse.

wavefront

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

Those random bolts are one of the big luck factors.
It is possible that every building you set down will be zapped by a lightning bolt before the peasants can start building it.
The quest is about 50% luck and 50% skill.
Don't let it get to you.

Venga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

I read all your walktrhu and i still didnt find out the awnser for how to kill the black phantoms

my heroes are surviving well and my game goes fine until black phantoms appear and starting to destroy my heroes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
wavefront

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

Paladins and Dwarves work well against Black Phantoms. Dwarves are a little slow getting there though

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Day of Reckoning (Update June 2003) Reply with quote Back to top

They tend to go after the highest level heros. So once you see that they're engaged in battle, just babysit the fighting hero with Healing spells and Bless and Stoneskin and eventually they should kill the Phantoms.

Placing a large reward flag will help draw other heros to fight.

If you don't have enough money to babysit, Guardhouses and Ballistic Towers are also Phantom-draws.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Quest Tips & Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: