Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Try this freestyle quest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Quest Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
... Turned off the Super Lairs and survived, but just wondering if my original settings were doable.

I'll try and remember to try this one. From the Dragon settings, you're only going to be able to survive as Krypta. Were you using gnomes?

Spiderman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

I can't survive it:

League of Heros
Winter Behemoths/Dragon's Reach (doesn't matter)
No Wandering
Wake the Hunters
Super Lairs
Eliminate all Enemies
10000 Gold

I usually go to Barbs as the first Temple after a level 2 Palace upgrade, but at some point a whole swarm of Dragons come in and I couldn't kill them all. So I went the Krypta Route, survived a wave of 6 or 8 Dragons, built a second Temple of Krypta, and when another wave of 6-8 Dragons came, a lot of Skeletons had either froze (too much on the screen, I guess) or were exploring and too far away for defense and I got chomped. Turned off the Super Lairs and survived, but just wondering if my original settings were doable.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of times, once I realized I needed some buildings up more quickly than usual. The first 2 Dragons come at Day 3 which was barely enough time to fill up a Temple of Krolm (which was what I went with first). I even turned everything off the Repair Queue except my Marketplace and the Temple (placed in harm's way since it had 800 HP) but my peasants and gnomes couldn't keep up when the wave of 6 Dragons came (since Dragons seem to like killing the repair workers first )

I can't remember if I tried Gnomes with Krypta; I think I did, but the money limitation in the beginning gets in the way. I believe I built Gnomes, Rangers Guild (maybe I should try Rogues for cheaper) and didn't bother destroying the Warriors Guild as you only get 100 gold for it), Marketplace, Blacksmith, Upgrade Palace, Temple to Krypta, and recruit Priestesses. But by that point, you're pretty much broke (I don't even think you can recruit four Priestesses from your starting funds; you have to wait for your tax collectors to make a couple of rounds).

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

The most important consideration should be to get those Priestesses out.

If you spend 1450 on a market, 50 on Gnomes, plus 100 for one gnome, recruited once the Ranger Guild is down (use Rangers, they hit dragons from further away) plus 3500 for the Palace, plus 700 for the Rangers, plus 350 per Ranger (1400), and healing potions (300) you've spent

1450 Market
0050 Gnome Hovel
0100 Gnome
3500 Palace to 2nd level
0700 Rangers Guild
1400 Rangers
0300 Potions
-------------------------

You then buy a Krypta and a Gnome (once the building is down) and your 4 Priestesses.

The money made in your town will cover any extras during this time. And, once the first Dragon Wave is down, the Priestesses and Rangers will have plenty of cash for more Potions and for the Market upgrade.
Does no good to have a lvl 3 Market if you can't protect it.

Also, Rogues are a good choice for 2 reasons. You'll explore much less of the map, and your skeletons will engage enemies away from camp far less if the rangers haven't uncovered the map as much. And, of course, they cost less, until they steal you blind.

If you're using a setting that gives you a Warrior's Guild, recruit them, instead. All you need is to get those Priestesses on-map... fast.

Stomper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
Also, Rogues are a good choice for 2 reasons. You'll explore much less of the map, and your skeletons will engage enemies away from camp far less if the rangers haven't uncovered the map as much. And, of course, they cost less, until they steal you blind.

If you're using a setting that gives you a Warrior's Guild, recruit them, instead. All you need is to get those Priestesses on-map... fast.

Yeah, in tough scenarios, I prefer not to do any exploring until my defenses are all in place. I like to keep my heroes close to home. I would recruit rogues, and then let them die without replacement once I get my Palace upgrade. I'd also take the Rogue's Guild off the repair cycle, and then recruit Rangers later in the game, after my defenses are set. Can you tell I don't have much use for rogues?

[ 13 September 2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Stomper ]

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it's the League of Heros setting, so I start out with the Warrior's Guild. So it'd be:

1450 Marketplace (I thought it was 1500?)
50 Gnomes Hovel
100 Gnome
1800 4 Warriors
3000 Upgrade Palace (I know this is correct)
300 Healing Potions
---

1330 Krypta
1600 4 Priestesses
----

Which should barely cover it. I assume I should place the Temple out of harm's way, as it's pretty weak.

Now, if I only build a Marketplace before upgrading the Palace, it'll take some time for the recruitment of the Warriors. Won't the Gnome get bored or should I recruit him when I'm about to upgrade? I guess I'll have to try it...

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

League of Heros
Winter Behemoths/Dragon's Reach (doesn't matter)
No Wandering
Wake the Hunters
Super Lairs
Eliminate all Enemies
10000 Gold

I just recently started this freestyle you mentioned two days ago. I went the krypta route and kept the warriors also and added gnomes. Got the marketplace down and upgraded gradually, palace to 2nd level with little problems.
I put down a trading post as close as is possible just to get a little more income coming in.
I started to worry when I saw 8-12 dragons coming while kryptas skellies were still busy with two dragons, but So far have managed to survive without losing any buildings. Then gradually when finances allowed added blacksmith, rogues guild, (have to have that money when you need it)and then palace 3rd level, and have added solarus. So far up to day 18 and havent uncovered any monster lairs yet. If I remember correctly I just put down a rangers guild before I saved and shut down last night late.
Will let you know how it goes during the next few days, but so far things seem to be going ok. Maybe just got a good starting layout and got lucky so far, but I've seen several big waves of dragons and the skellies have done very well with a little help from the ranged attacks of rogues. Once the solarus level up a bit it should be smooth sailing. At least until the Hunters have been awakened that is....

[ 22 September 2002, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Jakartiz ]

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

I soon found myself in over my head, after seeing several large waves (anywhere from 2-4 to groups of 9 or 10)of dragons coming between days 18 and 24 soon after I had placed the fairgrounds and a second krypta temple. It became very evident the dragons did not want more of kryptas death upon there breeding grounds. Anyway after they trashed the 2nd krypta temple and several other minor buildings, my rangers had begun to uncover most of the countryside. 2 of the dreaded dragons nests were found day 24, flagged them with 400 each and watched Corpus the Abuser head straight for the nests. *thinks aloud* oops did I neglect to mention I put in Fervus in last post?
The 26th Day no less than 16 dragons paid me a visit and wiped out rangers, rogues place, and blacksmith, and took several days to recover from. I added more TP's whenever I could and started rebuilding and then some. By 38th day I put down my first outpost and watched the 2 lairs go down around day 40, No hunters yet.
The 3rd 4th and 5th lairs were the trolls evil castle type which the rogues and solarus had been pounding on a while by now. these all fell around day 44 when the last 2 lairs were spotted and destroyed Rongol awoke from the 6th lair and Url Shekk showed up from the last... It all came to an end at day 59 with victory. By the end of this game i had at least 3 of each guild,3 outposts, and 2 embassy's and maybe 6 TP's, couldnt have kept up the buildings without the extra cash.
I'm thinking of restarting quest to see if I can rinse, and repeat.
Having the champions hall from the start was probably the best thing for this quest, keeping a bounty on dragons nearly all the time had to have a great impact on the hero's actions. keep building alot of statues too. I must try the Winter behemoth for the next try leaving the other stats the same. Happy Hunting

[ 22 September 2002, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Jakartiz ]

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the report. You've given me hope. That Trading Post is a good idea; I always forget them since I usually go the Elves route. I'll try it also and see how it goes.

Stomper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Thanks for the report. You've given me hope. That Trading Post is a good idea; I always forget them since I usually go the Elves route. I'll try it also and see how it goes.

I don't follow. How does the choice of elves cause you to forget TP's? Just because you aren't as likely to need TP's?

[ 23 September 2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Stomper ]

Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, pretty much. I've fallen into a pattern of building two Marketplaces and with the Elves, there really isn't a need for TPs. 'Cause usually I build TPs in a corner which means my peasants have to walk all the way over there and I usually want a Guardhouse or some protection in case some random Troll or Minotaur spawns near it. So I usually just don't bother building them in the Freestyle quests.

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

Trading post seems to help alot, and the rogues extort is also needed. Without both you wont be able to replace all the heros that fall, and believe me alot of them will. I forgot to mention that earlier. I have tried the Winter Behemoth scenario without any luck so far, seems to be much tougher to fight ice dragons and yeti's. Ill keep trying and let you know if I continue to fail or not.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I don't know if Krypta is the way to go in that one because the Yetis just pound the skeletons and then the priestesses into the ground.

I'm still working on Dragon Reaches though, those huge waves of Dragons are still getting me

Dr. DimWit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't tried any specific freestyle options yet, but here are some more or less generel observations:

If you go with gnomes, think about starting with a blacksmith. Even more so, if you are recuiting warriors from a pre-build guild. It's not like your gnomes and peasants will have much better to do before you can upgrade the palace (except building a marketplace).
The benefits:
- The discount on building price will almost pay for the smith in the beginning alone (marketplace, upgrade palace and krypta, perhaps a guardtower). So the short term price is small, and the long term benefit is big.
- If you have several taxevading gnomes, researching level 1 weapons can be a benefit. Your warriors (or rogues or rangers) will use it also. Remember, each gnome will have almost the same amount of starting gold, that you spend on them. So if you can make them use this money on healing potions and weapons - good for you. Timing is of cause important, no good with all your gnomes shopping when your empire is on fire.

Another thing with gnomes, old news yet you seem to overlook it:
A guardhouse (in the right place) with gnomes is a good supplement to Krypta, drawing fire away from the priestesses. 4 dragons and 2 gnomes having their way with a guardhouse buys you a lot of time, and it's a great way to get gnome champions .

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Try this freestyle quest Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Yeah, I don't know if Krypta is the way to go in that one because the Yetis just pound the skeletons and then the priestesses into the ground.

I'm still working on Dragon Reaches though, those huge waves of Dragons are still getting me

That is exactly what I had noticed, But I have yet to come up with the right combination that will get me started. need a good yeti killer from the start. maybe try barbarians first??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Quest Tips & Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: